oData and PB

Hi

Is there a plan of a future integration of oData (http://www.odata.org/)
as an datasource for datawindow?

Robert
0
Robert

No current plans to do so Robert.

Others please respond if you have a true need now or on the horizon.
This can help us begin to gauge demand.

Case Express on Sybase.com and the ISUG.com enhancement request
application are also avenues for requesting this protocol's support.

http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do

http://www.isug.com/common/EnhancementsProcess.html

--
John Strano - Sybase Technology Evangelist

"Robert Inzinger" <inro@skidata.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Is there a plan of a future integration of oData (http://www.odata.org/)
> as an datasource for datawindow?
>
> Robert

0
John
12/23/2010 11:20:52 AM
Thanks John for your answer.

There is no current need for oData now. But the few last days I played a
little bit with some oData services, read the documentation and I
thought: WOW this is a real easy way to make CRUD over the web (without
the heaviness of web services). And my second thought was: wouldn't it
be nice to do this with datawindow?

Robert

On 23.12.2010 12:20, John Strano[Sybase] wrote:
> No current plans to do so Robert.
>
> Others please respond if you have a true need now or on the horizon.
> This can help us begin to gauge demand.
>
> Case Express on Sybase.com and the ISUG.com enhancement request
> application are also avenues for requesting this protocol's support.
>
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>
> http://www.isug.com/common/EnhancementsProcess.html

0
Robert
12/23/2010 12:37:22 PM
I've been toying with this a bit, but there's a foundation that's
somewhat missing in classic PB, at least, namely support for REST and
HTTPS.   There is no native OData library, and at this point,
Microsoft doesn't have plans to create one - though it's an open spec
and anyone *could* do it.

If you are developing .NET applications from PB (WebForms, WinForms,
WPF), I think you should be able to do so now using the WCF Data
Services client libraries, with heavy use of SQLPreview.  if you're a
PB old-timer, it would be the same general technique that was used to
call stored procedures pre PB5 - the code/utilty known as SPUD.

I'm hoping to put a POC together over the next weeks for an upcoming
PowerBuilder User Group meeting in CT.

Jim O'Neil
Developer Evangelist
http://blogs.msdn.com/jimoneil - @jimoneil - jim.oneil@microsoft.com