Informal Poll

By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications. 

Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
opinion:

Which name do you like better for this new product? 

A) Pocket PowerBuilder
B) PocketBuilder

Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist

0
dfish
1/31/2003 4:35:21 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.futures 2315 articles. 0 followers. Follow

45 Replies
385 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 16
Get it on Google Play
Get it on Apple App Store

Dave;

    I personally like short catchy names, so my pick is "PocketBuilder".
However, this is really a product for PDA's, not just the PocketPC O/S. So
for the future: a) supporting other platforms; b) MS changing the O/S name;
or c) Who knows? ...
How about PDABuilder?

regards ... Chris

"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
Chris
1/31/2003 4:40:24 PM
Hi Dave,

B is definitely easier to say (and I actually prefer it) but I would 
have to vote for A.

Reason is to help market PowerBuilder.  The more times you can get the 
PowerBuilder name out there the better.  With PocketBuilder there is no 
association (implied or otherwise) with PowerBuilder.

In article <3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77>, dfish@sybase.com says...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications. 
> 
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
> 
> Which name do you like better for this new product? 
> 
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
> 
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> 
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> 
> 
0
John
1/31/2003 4:44:14 PM
I have to agree with Chris, I like the name PocketBuilder, but as names and
support changes you don't want to be left behind. How about MobilePower.

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
news:sEanSoUyCHA.322@forums.sybase.com...
> Dave;
>
>     I personally like short catchy names, so my pick is "PocketBuilder".
> However, this is really a product for PDA's, not just the PocketPC O/S. So
> for the future: a) supporting other platforms; b) MS changing the O/S
name;
> or c) Who knows? ...
> How about PDABuilder?
>
> regards ... Chris
>
> "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> > By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> > PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
> >
> > Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> > opinion:
> >
> > Which name do you like better for this new product?
> >
> > A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> > B) PocketBuilder
> >
> > Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> > provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave Fish
> > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> >
>
>


0
Tyler
1/31/2003 4:47:07 PM
I agree with John.  Keeping getting the PB name out.  (  Can we have Jaguar
back too?  :)  )


"John Evenosky" <jevenosky@__#$ colburn no__*spam.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.18a471e9c60b417c9896f4@forums.sybase.com...
> Hi Dave,
>
> B is definitely easier to say (and I actually prefer it) but I would
> have to vote for A.
>
> Reason is to help market PowerBuilder.  The more times you can get the
> PowerBuilder name out there the better.  With PocketBuilder there is no
> association (implied or otherwise) with PowerBuilder.
>
> In article <3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77>, dfish@sybase.com says...
> > By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> > PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
> >
> > Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> > opinion:
> >
> > Which name do you like better for this new product?
> >
> > A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> > B) PocketBuilder
> >
> > Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> > provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave Fish
> > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> >
> >


0
Daniel
1/31/2003 4:48:28 PM
Personally, I can't decide. I like having the PowerBuilder name in there. It
speeds acceptance by associating with a known product and it puts the
PowerBuilder name in more places at the same time. Then again, if the two
products aren't related (I hope they never diverge), then that association
could become a bad thing.

On the other hand, PocketBuilder is quick and catchy.

On the other hand (of which I have many <grin>), Chris had a point about
PDABuilder.

--
(`'�.�_/^\_�.�'�)
f e n t e r b u g
(�.�'��)^(�`'�.�)
      /   \
     ���^```
"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
news:sEanSoUyCHA.322@forums.sybase.com...
> Dave;
>
>     I personally like short catchy names, so my pick is "PocketBuilder".
> However, this is really a product for PDA's, not just the PocketPC O/S. So
> for the future: a) supporting other platforms; b) MS changing the O/S
name;
> or c) Who knows? ...
> How about PDABuilder?
>
> regards ... Chris
>
> "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> > By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> > PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
> >
> > Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> > opinion:
> >
> > Which name do you like better for this new product?
> >
> > A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> > B) PocketBuilder
> >
> > Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> > provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave Fish
> > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> >
>
>


0
Bug
1/31/2003 4:57:20 PM
Does Sybase know there's a squatter on www.pocketbuilder.com?  It's owned by
PoliceSoftware.com...


"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
Daniel
1/31/2003 5:09:06 PM
I agree with Joe. It should be a feature (add-on, whatever) to PB 9.x when
it goes UNICode. Especially for Enterprise licenses. Let's get some value
for the buck!

regards ... Chris

<Joe_Slawsky> wrote in message
news:709E1545E92BB35E0060BA0B85256CBF.005FA15C85256CBF@webforums...
> If I had to choose one it would be PocketBuilder, just because I like the
> way it rolls off the tongue.  I would prefer that PowerBuilder be the
first
> and more prominent word in the name though.  If I could add my 2 cents:
>
> PowerBuilder Anywhere (PB Anywhere) - To tie in the link to PB and other
> Sybase entries into the mobile market.
>
> Or anything that emphasizes this as a PowerBuilder extension to the PDA
> world, especially if it is not going to be a stand alone product, but an
> add on for PB9+.
>
> - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> www.planetdx.com
> Home of PB Link - The FREE PowerBuilder to Palm Interface


0
Chris
1/31/2003 5:19:25 PM
PocketBuilder

"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
Mathieu
1/31/2003 5:24:43 PM
Since it doesn't support Palm, Psion etc, I don't think you should raise
expectations that might never be realized.
How much I hate to say this, since many consider PB a legacy tool, it might
not be wise to include PB in the name.  But on the other hand, if it raises
PB's profile, then it would be good to use it in the name.
I'll vote for PocketBuilder.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.
SDN: http://www.sybase.com/developer/
http://www.pb9books.com

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
news:sEanSoUyCHA.322@forums.sybase.com...
> Dave;
>
>     I personally like short catchy names, so my pick is "PocketBuilder".
> However, this is really a product for PDA's, not just the PocketPC O/S. So
> for the future: a) supporting other platforms; b) MS changing the O/S
name;
> or c) Who knows? ...
> How about PDABuilder?
>
> regards ... Chris
>
> "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> > By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> > PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
> >
> > Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> > opinion:
> >
> > Which name do you like better for this new product?
> >
> > A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> > B) PocketBuilder
> >
> > Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> > provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave Fish
> > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> >
>
>


0
Terry
1/31/2003 5:24:50 PM
I like PowerBuilder Anywhere too.

<Joe_Slawsky> wrote in message
news:709E1545E92BB35E0060BA0B85256CBF.005FA15C85256CBF@webforums...
> If I had to choose one it would be PocketBuilder, just because I like the
> way it rolls off the tongue.  I would prefer that PowerBuilder be the
first
> and more prominent word in the name though.  If I could add my 2 cents:
>
> PowerBuilder Anywhere (PB Anywhere) - To tie in the link to PB and other
> Sybase entries into the mobile market.
>
> Or anything that emphasizes this as a PowerBuilder extension to the PDA
> world, especially if it is not going to be a stand alone product, but an
> add on for PB9+.
>
> - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> www.planetdx.com
> Home of PB Link - The FREE PowerBuilder to Palm Interface


0
Daniel
1/31/2003 5:31:15 PM
If I had to choose one it would be PocketBuilder, just because I like the 
way it rolls off the tongue.  I would prefer that PowerBuilder be the first 
and more prominent word in the name though.  If I could add my 2 cents:

PowerBuilder Anywhere (PB Anywhere) - To tie in the link to PB and other 
Sybase entries into the mobile market.

Or anything that emphasizes this as a PowerBuilder extension to the PDA 
world, especially if it is not going to be a stand alone product, but an 
add on for PB9+.

- Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
www.planetdx.com 
Home of PB Link - The FREE PowerBuilder to Palm Interface
0
Joe_Slawsky
1/31/2003 5:36:31 PM
I disagree, to me that opens up: Mac, Linx, etc expectations.

"Daniel Coppersmith" <daniel@N.0.S.P.A.M_infrontsoftware.com> wrote in
message news:sYlwIHVyCHA.351@forums.sybase.com...
> I like PowerBuilder Anywhere too.
>
> <Joe_Slawsky> wrote in message
> news:709E1545E92BB35E0060BA0B85256CBF.005FA15C85256CBF@webforums...
> > If I had to choose one it would be PocketBuilder, just because I like
the
> > way it rolls off the tongue.  I would prefer that PowerBuilder be the
> first
> > and more prominent word in the name though.  If I could add my 2 cents:
> >
> > PowerBuilder Anywhere (PB Anywhere) - To tie in the link to PB and other
> > Sybase entries into the mobile market.
> >
> > Or anything that emphasizes this as a PowerBuilder extension to the PDA
> > world, especially if it is not going to be a stand alone product, but an
> > add on for PB9+.
> >
> > - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> > www.planetdx.com
> > Home of PB Link - The FREE PowerBuilder to Palm Interface
>
>


0
Chris
1/31/2003 5:44:00 PM
I interpret the word "Anywhere" to mean 'you can take a PB app anywhere (on
your handheld device)', but I can see how a developer might also interpret
it as 'runs on any platform'....




"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
news:9TbP1LVyCHA.337@forums.sybase.com...
> I disagree, to me that opens up: Mac, Linx, etc expectations.
>
> "Daniel Coppersmith" <daniel@N.0.S.P.A.M_infrontsoftware.com> wrote in
> message news:sYlwIHVyCHA.351@forums.sybase.com...
> > I like PowerBuilder Anywhere too.
> >
> > <Joe_Slawsky> wrote in message
> > news:709E1545E92BB35E0060BA0B85256CBF.005FA15C85256CBF@webforums...
> > > If I had to choose one it would be PocketBuilder, just because I like
> the
> > > way it rolls off the tongue.  I would prefer that PowerBuilder be the
> > first
> > > and more prominent word in the name though.  If I could add my 2
cents:
> > >
> > > PowerBuilder Anywhere (PB Anywhere) - To tie in the link to PB and
other
> > > Sybase entries into the mobile market.
> > >
> > > Or anything that emphasizes this as a PowerBuilder extension to the
PDA
> > > world, especially if it is not going to be a stand alone product, but
an
> > > add on for PB9+.
> > >
> > > - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> > > www.planetdx.com
> > > Home of PB Link - The FREE PowerBuilder to Palm Interface
> >
> >
>
>


0
Daniel
1/31/2003 5:52:04 PM
Dave;

    Another variation .... PowerPDA!

regards ... Chris

"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
Chris
1/31/2003 5:54:24 PM
PBA for your PDA!!!

--
(`'�.�_/^\_�.�'�)
f e n t e r b u g
(�.�'��)^(�`'�.�)
      /   \
     ���^```
"Daniel Coppersmith" <daniel@N.0.S.P.A.M_infrontsoftware.com> wrote in
message news:sYlwIHVyCHA.351@forums.sybase.com...
> I like PowerBuilder Anywhere too.
>
> <Joe_Slawsky> wrote in message
> news:709E1545E92BB35E0060BA0B85256CBF.005FA15C85256CBF@webforums...
> > If I had to choose one it would be PocketBuilder, just because I like
the
> > way it rolls off the tongue.  I would prefer that PowerBuilder be the
> first
> > and more prominent word in the name though.  If I could add my 2 cents:
> >
> > PowerBuilder Anywhere (PB Anywhere) - To tie in the link to PB and other
> > Sybase entries into the mobile market.
> >
> > Or anything that emphasizes this as a PowerBuilder extension to the PDA
> > world, especially if it is not going to be a stand alone product, but an
> > add on for PB9+.
> >
> > - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> > www.planetdx.com
> > Home of PB Link - The FREE PowerBuilder to Palm Interface
>
>


0
Bug
1/31/2003 6:01:05 PM
I'd like to see something like PowerBuilder.PDA or something along those 
lines.

If the name PowerBuilder does not get used, it seems that Sybase does 
not believe in the name anymore and its impact in the marketplace.

I presume PocketBuilder will actually use Datawindows and PowerScript as 
the language, correct?

Jacek

0
Jacek
1/31/2003 6:03:20 PM
Dave

Pocketbuilder is great! Got both POCKETpc en powerBUILDER in it

Pocket powerbuilder is 2 long.. doesnt roll off the tongue

Grtz
harry


"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> schreef in bericht
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
Harrry
1/31/2003 6:07:41 PM
How about:

m.PowerBuilder

It has:
1. E[m]power
2. [PowerBuilder]
3. [m]obile

--
<hopethishelps/>
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]
Sybase Developer Network (SDN) -- http://sdn.sybase.com

"Jacek Furmankiewicz" <NOSPAM_jfurmankiewicz_AT_stssystems_DOT_com> wrote in
message news:BSryuWVyCHA.351@forums.sybase.com...
> I'd like to see something like PowerBuilder.PDA or something along those
> lines.
>
> If the name PowerBuilder does not get used, it seems that Sybase does
> not believe in the name anymore and its impact in the marketplace.
>
> I presume PocketBuilder will actually use Datawindows and PowerScript as
> the language, correct?
>
> Jacek
>


0
Roy
1/31/2003 6:09:31 PM
It looks like Developers are like Economists...


Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:35:21 GMT, dfish@sybase.com (Dave Fish [Team
Sybase]) wrote:

>By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
>PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications. 
>
>Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
>opinion:
>
>Which name do you like better for this new product? 
>
>A) Pocket PowerBuilder
>B) PocketBuilder
>
>Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
>provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
>Regards,
>Dave Fish
>Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>

0
dfish
1/31/2003 6:17:59 PM
I like PocketBuilder.

Powerbuilder Lite (;-)

0
lt
1/31/2003 6:26:34 PM
Another name infringement - Powerbuilder to Go.
0
lt
1/31/2003 6:56:19 PM
B sounds good to me!!

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:24:43 +0100,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion
Mathieu van As <mathieu@adg.nl> wrote: 
>PocketBuilder
>
>"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
>> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
>> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>>
>> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
>> opinion:
>>
>> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>>
>> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
>> B) PocketBuilder
>>
>> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
>> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave Fish
>> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>>
>
>
0
Austin
1/31/2003 6:58:15 PM
Gotta pick B..Name is very catchy
--
Evita R. Chapa
Senior Systems Analyst II
Command Technologies, Inc.



"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
E
1/31/2003 7:25:12 PM
On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:36:31 -0500,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion
 <Joe_Slawsky> wrote: 
>PowerBuilder Anywhere (PB Anywhere) - To tie in the link to PB and other 
>Sybase entries into the mobile market.

One of the problems Sybase has is renaming the products to such similar names
that nobody can distinguish which does what anymore.  Let's not do that with
this one too.


Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com

If you would like to continue to be able to use Google to search *all* of these
newsgroups, please contact Google at and let them know.
mailto:groups-support@google.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of Assisi
http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
1/31/2003 7:51:09 PM
Will we be able to say "I Want My MPB?" (I couldn't resist)

- Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
www.planetdx.com 
0
Joe_Slawsky
1/31/2003 8:04:25 PM
.... which is why we're not in marketing! ;)

--
(`'�.�_/^\_�.�'�)
f e n t e r b u g
(�.�'��)^(�`'�.�)
      /   \
     ���^```
"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3abd92.97255736@199.93.177.77...
> It looks like Developers are like Economists...
>
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:35:21 GMT, dfish@sybase.com (Dave Fish [Team
> Sybase]) wrote:
>
> >By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> >PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
> >
> >Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> >opinion:
> >
> >Which name do you like better for this new product?
> >
> >A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> >B) PocketBuilder
> >
> >Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> >provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Dave Fish
> >Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> >
>


0
Bug
1/31/2003 8:05:26 PM
I already use that one (as PBLink / PowerPDA) on my site, but I wouldn't 
mind giving it up.

- Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
www.planetdx.com 
Home of PB Link - The FREE PowerBuilder to Palm Interface
0
Joe_Slawsky
1/31/2003 8:06:04 PM
Bug;

  Yeah, but really good new products are great until  ....  marketing gets
involved!
Just let the "techies" rule, cause were are cool!

regards ... Chris

"Bug" <fenterbug@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f4ma#aWyCHA.322@forums.sybase.com...
> ... which is why we're not in marketing! ;)
>
> --
> (`'�.�_/^\_�.�'�)
> f e n t e r b u g
> (�.�'��)^(�`'�.�)
>       /   \
>      ���^```
> "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:3e3abd92.97255736@199.93.177.77...
> > It looks like Developers are like Economists...
> >
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave Fish
> > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> >
> > On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:35:21 GMT, dfish@sybase.com (Dave Fish [Team
> > Sybase]) wrote:
> >
> > >By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> > >PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
> > >
> > >Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> > >opinion:
> > >
> > >Which name do you like better for this new product?
> > >
> > >A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> > >B) PocketBuilder
> > >
> > >Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> > >provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >Dave Fish
> > >Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> > >
> >
>
>


0
Chris
1/31/2003 8:09:43 PM
I think B.PocketBuilder sounds better

But I think that it should be able to develop for Palm O/S too. I've seen
many tools able to deal with both. And since most people here are using Palm
(I don't know about everywhere else), that you'd be great. I guess that
would help me to keep PB in the cie if I could tell my boss that we can code
applications for his favorite toy with it.

And btw, I was wondering since i only had to deal with Palm, does Pocket O/S
is a WinME improved?

--
Mathieu Gendron, ia
http://www.siq.gouv.qc.ca/


"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> a �crit dans le message news:
3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
Mathieu
1/31/2003 8:59:23 PM
I agree with you all. Pocket Powerbuilder, and Jaguar :)

G�khan

Daniel Coppersmith wrote:
> 
> I agree with John.  Keeping getting the PB name out.  (  Can we have Jaguar
> back too?  :)  )
> 
> "John Evenosky" <jevenosky@__#$ colburn no__*spam.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.18a471e9c60b417c9896f4@forums.sybase.com...
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > B is definitely easier to say (and I actually prefer it) but I would
> > have to vote for A.
> >
> > Reason is to help market PowerBuilder.  The more times you can get the
> > PowerBuilder name out there the better.  With PocketBuilder there is no
> > association (implied or otherwise) with PowerBuilder.
> >
> > In article <3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77>, dfish@sybase.com says...
> > > By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> > > PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
> > >
> > > Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> > > opinion:
> > >
> > > Which name do you like better for this new product?
> > >
> > > A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> > > B) PocketBuilder
> > >
> > > Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> > > provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Dave Fish
> > > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> > >
> > >
0
iso
1/31/2003 10:21:21 PM
I'd vote for: "PocketBuilder".

--
Rahul Jain

"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
Rahul
1/31/2003 10:41:53 PM
It was so stringent that you gave only 2 options may be because you already
have decided to choose one or the other.
However as one pointed out and as an example
Eventhough VB was extended to do ASP still they called as VB and VB Studio
they didn't rename it. Question why do we want to rename a product name that
is already known.
If somebodies objective is to sell a product saying that it is a version of
PB that supports for development for a different O/S(ie Windows CE) just
name it PB.Mobile or like Roy named it mobile.Powerbuilder.
That way you keep the name of the product evolving and its brand name keep
spreading otherwise it dies with C/S and no one knows that PB can support
for mobile computing.
Like when you said PB for Enterprise it really didn't mean much to people on
what you meant Enterprise. Did it mean to support for an enterprise wide
solution or across the enterprises....
Have PowerBuilder and say Powerbuilder.PDA or Powerbuilder.Mobile or
Powerbuilder.PocketPC or whatever it might be. But without the word
Powerbuilder it doesn't mean anything except that the word PowerJ didn't
mean anything to me except that it had the word Power.
HOWEVER, did Pocket.Powerbuilder is it easy to say - maybe not , however it
does carries the name of Powerbuilder.
So vote that or may be Pocket.PB or m.Powerbuilder....
But not PocketBuilder it looks like a very new Product except that you say
in detail separtely that this product supports Powerbuilder objects.

Thanks
VSV

"Rahul Jain" <rahul.jain@mail.com> wrote in message
news:VAmgayXyCHA.155@forums.sybase.com...
> I'd vote for: "PocketBuilder".
>
> --
> Rahul Jain
>
> "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> > By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> > PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
> >
> > Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> > opinion:
> >
> > Which name do you like better for this new product?
> >
> > A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> > B) PocketBuilder
> >
> > Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> > provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave Fish
> > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> >
>
>


0
vsv
2/1/2003 2:13:25 AM
My vote: PocketBuilder
Announced like in movies, with title and tagline: PocketBuilder. The Mobile
PowerBuilder.

"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> escribi� en el mensaje
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
N
2/1/2003 5:20:02 AM
This group is like my customers ...
given 2 options they ignore them and do something else ...

PocketBuilder is fine with me.. I'm keen to see it kick off.. I have an
application which has the potential to start at 600+ users so I'm keen to
know what the projected pricing and licencing is along with a feature
list...
Maybe PDA's are common in the States but in New Zealand their use is mainly
as electric diaries and phone books so the penetration is limited. Mainly
yuppie toys. Representatives and delivery drivers tend to use big, clunky
hand held things so selling a customer on mobile computing suffers from both
unfamiliarity AND misperception of capability.
If I can produce a reasonably pretty application and use the Sybase Mobile
technology to replicate the data I will be busy for years..
One thing though..... I only want to deal with PowerBuilder and its
extensions. If it even assumes I know how to spell Java I will drop the
whole thing. As a small developer I can't support too many technologies. Its
why I don't think I'll be doing anything with EAServer while I develop in
PB... Keeping track of the developments in PB, ASA, ASE and SQL Server is
enough. If I have to go to Java I will go the whole hog and toss out PB.

My thoughts anyway...


"N�stor Marcel S�nchez Ahumada" <nmsa@terra.cl> wrote in message
news:HuezNuayCHA.199@forums.sybase.com...
> My vote: PocketBuilder
> Announced like in movies, with title and tagline: PocketBuilder. The
Mobile
> PowerBuilder.
>
> "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> escribi� en el mensaje
> news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> > By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> > PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
> >
> > Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> > opinion:
> >
> > Which name do you like better for this new product?
> >
> > A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> > B) PocketBuilder
> >
> > Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> > provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave Fish
> > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> >
>
>


0
brett
2/1/2003 10:10:48 AM
Brett, PocketBuilder (or Pocket PowerBuilder) comes from the
PowerBuilder code line but is tailored specifically for creating
PocketPC applications. You have the DataWindow, and PowerScript. No
technology like Java is required. It is also Unicode, as are the
applications you create with it.

Here is my take on the benefits of PocketBuilder:

1. You already know PowerBuilder so it doesn't require you to learn a
new language.
2. You get the power of the DataWindow for PocketPC applications
3. You can mobilize all or parts of existing PowerBuilder
applications. Since the PocketPC screen is smaller you won't be able
to port a desktop application directly to the device and have it be
really usable. Most likely you will take portions of a desktop
application that make sense to mobilize, redesign the window and
DataWindows to fit the device and deploy them. 
4. Create brand new applications for mobile devices. 

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 23:10:48 +1300, "brett"
<brettnospampleaseATweaversoftcom> wrote:

>This group is like my customers ...
>given 2 options they ignore them and do something else ...
>
>PocketBuilder is fine with me.. I'm keen to see it kick off.. I have an
>application which has the potential to start at 600+ users so I'm keen to
>know what the projected pricing and licencing is along with a feature
>list...
>Maybe PDA's are common in the States but in New Zealand their use is mainly
>as electric diaries and phone books so the penetration is limited. Mainly
>yuppie toys. Representatives and delivery drivers tend to use big, clunky
>hand held things so selling a customer on mobile computing suffers from both
>unfamiliarity AND misperception of capability.
>If I can produce a reasonably pretty application and use the Sybase Mobile
>technology to replicate the data I will be busy for years..
>One thing though..... I only want to deal with PowerBuilder and its
>extensions. If it even assumes I know how to spell Java I will drop the
>whole thing. As a small developer I can't support too many technologies. Its
>why I don't think I'll be doing anything with EAServer while I develop in
>PB... Keeping track of the developments in PB, ASA, ASE and SQL Server is
>enough. If I have to go to Java I will go the whole hog and toss out PB.
>
>My thoughts anyway...
>
>
>"N�stor Marcel S�nchez Ahumada" <nmsa@terra.cl> wrote in message
>news:HuezNuayCHA.199@forums.sybase.com...
>> My vote: PocketBuilder
>> Announced like in movies, with title and tagline: PocketBuilder. The
>Mobile
>> PowerBuilder.
>>
>> "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> escribi� en el mensaje
>> news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
>> > By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
>> > PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>> >
>> > Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
>> > opinion:
>> >
>> > Which name do you like better for this new product?
>> >
>> > A) Pocket PowerBuilder
>> > B) PocketBuilder
>> >
>> > Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
>> > provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Dave Fish
>> > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>> >
>>
>>
>
>

0
dfish
2/1/2003 1:51:02 PM
Fabulous.
Looking forward to it...


"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3bcf1c.167278633@199.93.177.77...
> Brett, PocketBuilder (or Pocket PowerBuilder) comes from the
> PowerBuilder code line but is tailored specifically for creating
> PocketPC applications. You have the DataWindow, and PowerScript. No
> technology like Java is required. It is also Unicode, as are the
> applications you create with it.
>
> Here is my take on the benefits of PocketBuilder:
>
> 1. You already know PowerBuilder so it doesn't require you to learn a
> new language.
> 2. You get the power of the DataWindow for PocketPC applications
> 3. You can mobilize all or parts of existing PowerBuilder
> applications. Since the PocketPC screen is smaller you won't be able
> to port a desktop application directly to the device and have it be
> really usable. Most likely you will take portions of a desktop
> application that make sense to mobilize, redesign the window and
> DataWindows to fit the device and deploy them.
> 4. Create brand new applications for mobile devices.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>
> On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 23:10:48 +1300, "brett"
> <brettnospampleaseATweaversoftcom> wrote:
>
> >This group is like my customers ...
> >given 2 options they ignore them and do something else ...
> >
> >PocketBuilder is fine with me.. I'm keen to see it kick off.. I have an
> >application which has the potential to start at 600+ users so I'm keen to
> >know what the projected pricing and licencing is along with a feature
> >list...
> >Maybe PDA's are common in the States but in New Zealand their use is
mainly
> >as electric diaries and phone books so the penetration is limited. Mainly
> >yuppie toys. Representatives and delivery drivers tend to use big, clunky
> >hand held things so selling a customer on mobile computing suffers from
both
> >unfamiliarity AND misperception of capability.
> >If I can produce a reasonably pretty application and use the Sybase
Mobile
> >technology to replicate the data I will be busy for years..
> >One thing though..... I only want to deal with PowerBuilder and its
> >extensions. If it even assumes I know how to spell Java I will drop the
> >whole thing. As a small developer I can't support too many technologies.
Its
> >why I don't think I'll be doing anything with EAServer while I develop in
> >PB... Keeping track of the developments in PB, ASA, ASE and SQL Server is
> >enough. If I have to go to Java I will go the whole hog and toss out PB.
> >
> >My thoughts anyway...
> >
> >
> >"N�stor Marcel S�nchez Ahumada" <nmsa@terra.cl> wrote in message
> >news:HuezNuayCHA.199@forums.sybase.com...
> >> My vote: PocketBuilder
> >> Announced like in movies, with title and tagline: PocketBuilder. The
> >Mobile
> >> PowerBuilder.
> >>
> >> "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> escribi� en el mensaje
> >> news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> >> > By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> >> > PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
> >> >
> >> > Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> >> > opinion:
> >> >
> >> > Which name do you like better for this new product?
> >> >
> >> > A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> >> > B) PocketBuilder
> >> >
> >> > Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> >> > provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
> >> >
> >> > Regards,
> >> > Dave Fish
> >> > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>


0
Brett
2/2/2003 3:43:21 AM
pocketbuilder, everyone seems to know the term now
a.

"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" wrote:

> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist

--
Adam Simmonds
Lead Analyst/Programmer - Web Development
Student Administration Program
Major Projects Group
The University of Sydney
Ph +61 2 9351 5174
Mb +61 403 341 474


0
Adam
2/2/2003 4:12:05 AM
PocketBuilder.. would be the ideal one


0
Vasu
2/2/2003 8:15:22 AM
Dave,

Of your 2 choices, PocketBuilder has a great ring to it, whereas Pocket
PowerBuilder sounds awkward - not the image we want to conjure up.

But please consider that if PowerBuilder's name was included in full, and
this new product gets lots of press coverage (please,please,please!!!), it
would have the added benefit of letting people know that regular
PowerBuilder is still leading-edge and not legacy or extinct.  Played right,
Mobile Powerbuilder or PowerBuilder Anywhere could almost reverse the image
damage done by the stealth marketing of the past.

Regards,
Tim


"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
Tim
2/3/2003 1:08:57 AM
How about Powerbuilder, Micro Edition or Powerbuilder Compact Framework? :-)

Seriously, of the 2 I'd pick PocketBuilder. And even though it doesn't have
Powerbuilder in the name, ALL marketing material should refer to it as the
compact edition of Powerbuilder used for developing PocketPC applications.
The name Powerbuilder should be all over everything.

Mike Kruchten


"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
Mike
2/3/2003 4:25:01 PM
I like b:  PocketBuilder.  It has a nice snappy ring to it.  I would try to
put the word PowerBuilder in the marketing tagline, something like:

PocketBuilder, PowerBuilder for your Pocket.

I don't think using the word Pocket in the name is going to hurt sales if
Palm support is added.  People usually put their Palm in their pockets.

I am also all for the return of Jaguar!  The current name is too generic and
thus easy to forget.  Websphere is an easy to remember word with zing.

Roland


"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3e3aa519.90990737@199.93.177.77...
> By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
> PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications.
>
> Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
> opinion:
>
> Which name do you like better for this new product?
>
> A) Pocket PowerBuilder
> B) PocketBuilder
>
> Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
> provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>


0
Roland
2/3/2003 6:56:26 PM
I like PocketBuilder better but it would be nice to keep PowerBuilder in the
name...  PowerBuilderPDA maybe.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:35:21 GMT,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion
Dave Fish [Team Sybase] <dfish@sybase.com> wrote: 
>By now most of you have heard that Sybase is developing a version of
>PowerBuilder that allows you to create PocketPC applications. 
>
>Since I am so customer focused (:-)) I would like to ask you for your
>opinion:
>
>Which name do you like better for this new product? 
>
>A) Pocket PowerBuilder
>B) PocketBuilder
>
>Feel free to reply to this message with answer a or b. If you want to
>provide a reason for your decision I'd be happy to hear that too.
>
>Regards,
>Dave Fish
>Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>
0
Kelly
2/3/2003 9:24:27 PM
Sounds Interesting....

> PocketBuilder, PowerBuilder for your Pocket.




0
Vasu
2/4/2003 8:41:21 AM
What about "embedded PowerBuilder", or short ePB? 
I hope, that there will be some other plattforms for this new
product (not only PocketPC).


----------------------------------------------
Th. Hintze 

       /------------------------------\
     _ |  Th. Hintze                  |
    / )|  Presse-Vertrieb Meckl. West |
   / / |  Zittower Strasse 3          |
 _( (_ |  19067 Leezen                | 
(((\ \>\-/->--------------------------/
(\\\\ \_/ /
 \       /   Tel.   +49(03866)6152
  \    _/    Fax:   +49(03866)312
 /___/       Email: thintze@pv-mw.de
                    http://www.pv-mw.de
---------------------------------------------- 
0
TH
2/4/2003 6:32:40 PM
Definately , PocketBuilder will be cool

Regards
Vikas J
<TH> wrote in message
news:8191DE3F583D7BF90065DE0485256CC3.0061921C85256CBF@webforums...
> What about "embedded PowerBuilder", or short ePB?
> I hope, that there will be some other plattforms for this new
> product (not only PocketPC).
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------
> Th. Hintze
>
>        /------------------------------\
>      _ |  Th. Hintze                  |
>     / )|  Presse-Vertrieb Meckl. West |
>    / / |  Zittower Strasse 3          |
>  _( (_ |  19067 Leezen                |
> (((\ \>\-/->--------------------------/
> (\\\\ \_/ /
>  \       /   Tel.   +49(03866)6152
>   \    _/    Fax:   +49(03866)312
>  /___/       Email: thintze@pv-mw.de
>                     http://www.pv-mw.de
> ----------------------------------------------


0
V
2/8/2003 4:51:57 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Future Powerbuilder Release information
I was wondering if someone could tell me where to get documentation on new versions of Powerbuilder. I need something specific to show plans to support Powerbuilder by Sybase in the future. TIA David Fishburn Sr Software Engineer Lockheed Martin Information Technologies David.D-CTR.Fishburn<nospam>@faa.gov If you want unofficial (based on official material), you can start with http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future2/powerbuilder_s_future2.html. It should also link to some Sybase material when available. If you want officially Sy...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of .... I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is dead movement. Guess they were wrong there... The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it away until the subscription ...

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks Bala wrote in message <#AImoYME$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>... >Hi, > >Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - >The Future of Powerbuilder? >Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Except you should not believe everything you read. I remember the mutterings after PB 6.5 and currently Sybase is shipping EAS which PB 7.0 forms part of. Again I was at Sybase TechW...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hello Every one!!, Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent. I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now. could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar techonologies or should i get along with PB?? Please respond to me... Thanks!! Regards, Dhawan. It never hurts to expand your skillset by picking up new languages. PowerBuilder is still going strong, Syb...

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

Future of PowerBuilder #2
Hi, Can anybody point me to a good documentation or an article about the future or the prospect of PowerBuilder?? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks AK; There are MANY threads in sybase.public.powerbuilder.futures.discussions NG. Here is a link to a very knowledgeable website: (http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future2 /powerbuilder_s_future2.html) HTH, Austin <AK> wrote in message news:3f3bf83f.5e1.846930886@sybase.com... > Hi, > Can anybody point me to a good documentation or an article > about the future or t...

PowerBuilder futures webcast...
December 11 and 12 http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1022611,00.html?source=newsgroups From the webpage: "Join Dr. Raj Nathan, Senior VP and GM of the Sybase Enterprise Solutions Division, for his Webcast presentation on the future of PowerBuilder! IT executives, directors, managers, and developers won�t want to miss this! Dr. Nathan will discuss the state of the applications market, the industry segments in which PowerBuilder is situated today and will be in the future, and the strategic thrusts for PowerBuilder going forward." Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybas...

Future of IT and place for PowerBuilder???
Hi all: As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT: 1. Mainframe Computing 2. Client Server 3. Distributed (3-Tier) 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web) Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your opinion would become popular? 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular (and hence boost PB market???) 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a web...

The future of powerbuilder #3
Hi, all I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what is the future of PowerBuilder? Thanks "Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote: > I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems > powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what > is the future of PowerBuilder? http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future/powerbuilder_s_future.html Dmitri. Dmitri, do You like the ...

What is EAS/PowerBuilder future?
What is the future of PowerBuilder to develop middle-tier code for Jaguar and as a whole? In article <Vd3myfB8AHA.261@forums.sybase.com>, egattu@yahoo.com says... > What is the future of PowerBuilder to develop middle-tier code for Jaguar > and as a whole? > > > Come to TechWave and find out<g> Sybase is still committed to PowerBuilder! Mark Except for Linux... "Mark Pfeifer[TeamSybase]" wrote: > In article <Vd3myfB8AHA.261@forums.sybase.com>, egattu@yahoo.com says... > > What is the future of PowerBuilder to...

Web resources about - Informal Poll - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

File:Informal Remarks At Union Station Plaza, Washington, D.C - NARA - 198093.tif - Wikipedia, the free ...
Franklin D. Roosevelt Library (NLFDR), 4079 Albany Post Road, Hyde Park, NY, 12538-1999. Please help us by reporting errors ! This may include ...

Pajama Party — I noticed Luke from Founder’s Fund at the SpaceX board meeting going way more informal ...
jurvetson posted a photo: Midway through the board meeting yesterday, I noticed that Luke was wearing pajamas, and I had to call him out on ...

Robert Neuwirth: The power of the informal economy - YouTube
Robert Neuwirth spent four years among the chaotic stalls of street markets, talking to pushcart hawkers and gray marketers, to study the remarkable ...

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg hosts informal Q&A session
... world has questions. And Mark Zuckerberg has answers. The world has questions. And Mark Zuckerberg has answers. Zuckerberg held an informal ...

The risks of the informal economy as opposed to the risk averse economy
In some countries in the developing world, the informal economy makes up two thirds of total economic activity.

Form guide for informal lets
A couple of readers have asked what the situation is with house-swaps and house-sitting.

Informal vote fixes could turn the tide
They are the votes that don't count but could turn the election. The main parties, locked in a battle of inches for western Sydney, are targeting ...

Informal vote fixes could turn the tide
They are the votes that don't count but could turn the election. The main parties, locked in a battle of inches for western Sydney, are targeting ...

Malcolm Turnbull electronic voting video: informal vote problems
... communications spokesman Malcolm Turnbull tells ABC Breakfast electronic voting should be considered as a way to combat unintentional informal ...

Malcolm Turnbull suggests electronic voting to reduce number of informal ballots
Malcolm Turnbull says electronic voting could help reduce the high number of informal votes in Australian elections.

Resources last updated: 1/7/2016 3:30:01 AM