Global Search and Replace. PLEASE!

A code editor MUST come equipped with a built-in search/replace function.
0
mike_long

Across ALL objects, not just the current script.
0
mike_long
10/3/2002 1:46:10 AM
I agree.

<mike_long> wrote in message
> Across ALL objects, not just the current script.

0
Mathieu
10/3/2002 12:21:10 PM
Global search already exists.

Global replace: I don't think it is technically possible.
Even, when it is technically possible, it is expensive
to implement.  Additionally, if there are bugs, all of your pbls
are potentially damaged.

Ben

Across ALL objects, not just the current script.
0
Ben
10/3/2002 1:41:40 PM
    So what - that is what backups are for! Then try again ("Do" not just
try - young Jedi).

<Ben> wrote in message
> Global search already exists.
>
> Global replace: I don't think it is technically possible.
> Even, when it is technically possible, it is expensive
> to implement.  Additionally, if there are bugs, all of your pbls
> are potentially damaged.
>
> Ben

> Across ALL objects, not just the current script.

0
Chris
10/3/2002 2:28:58 PM
<<Global search already exists>>

Without a global replace, it's only 1/2 a solution.

<<Global replace: I don't think it is technically possible.>>

We can send a robot to Mars.  I think we can develop a Global Replace :)

<<Even, when it is technically possible, it is expensive to implement.>>

Expensive for who?  The IDE already knows how to load an object.  It knows
how to do a search/replace on script code.  And it knows how to save the
object back to a pibble.  Looks like all the ingredieants are there to make
a Global Search/Replace.

<<Additionally, if there are bugs, all of your pbls
are potentially damaged.>>

That's my problem. I don't expect the IDE to prevent me from putting bugs
in my code.  It never stopped them before :(
0
mike_long
10/3/2002 3:45:26 PM
Get PBLPeeper.   www.techno-kitten.com   Trust me, it will be the best money
you spend on your project.  <G>

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
VCI   Springfield, MA

<mike_long> wrote in message
> A code editor MUST come equipped with a built-in search/replace function.

0
Paul
10/3/2002 4:03:15 PM
No - it's "Do or Do Not - There is no try.."...:-)

--
Evita R. Chapa
Senior Systems Analyst II

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
>     So what - that is what backups are for! Then try again ("Do" not just
> try - young Jedi).
>
> <Ben> wrote in message
> > Global search already exists.
> >
> > Global replace: I don't think it is technically possible.
> > Even, when it is technically possible, it is expensive
> > to implement.  Additionally, if there are bugs, all of your pbls
> > are potentially damaged.
> >
> > Ben

> > Across ALL objects, not just the current script.

You must be a Jedi Master!

"E Chapa" <echapa@commtechinc.com> wrote in message
> No - it's "Do or Do Not - There is no try.."...:-)
>
> --
> Evita R. Chapa
> Senior Systems Analyst II
> Command Technologies, Inc.
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> >     So what - that is what backups are for! Then try again ("Do" not
just
> > try - young Jedi).
> >
> > <Ben> wrote in message
> > > Global search already exists.
> > >
> > > Global replace: I don't think it is technically possible.
> > > Even, when it is technically possible, it is expensive
> > > to implement.  Additionally, if there are bugs, all of your pbls
> > > are potentially damaged.
> > >
> > > Ben

> > > Across ALL objects, not just the current script.

0
Chris
10/3/2002 5:56:40 PM
Direct access from the search result (check out without loosing the search
results) might be an improvement.

Mathieu.

<Ben> wrote in message
> Global search already exists.
>
> Global replace: I don't think it is technically possible.
> Even, when it is technically possible, it is expensive
> to implement.  Additionally, if there are bugs, all of your pbls
> are potentially damaged.
>
> Ben

> Across ALL objects, not just the current script.

0
Mathieu
10/3/2002 8:17:23 PM
<mike_long> wrote in message

> <<Global replace: I don't think it is technically possible.>>
>
> We can send a robot to Mars.  I think we can develop a Global Replace :)

LOL :-)

Of course it's technically possible, it's just a question of automating the
process of selecting each object in turn and doing a search/replace on it.
Piece of cake, should take someone about 10 minutes to code.

Simon

0
Simon
10/4/2002 12:50:27 PM
mike_long wrote:

> <<Global replace: I don't think it is technically possible.>>
>
> We can send a robot to Mars.  I think we can develop a Global Replace :)

Some of the stuff we've sent to Mars has gone splat on the surface at a fairly
high rate of speed because somebody wasn't paying close enough attention to
details.  I would prefer the same didn't happen to my source code....<grin>

--

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com

Preach the gospel at all times.  If necessary, use words. - Francis of Assisi
http://www.needhim.org

NOTE:  Please do NOT attempt to post to these newsgroups through news services
such as
Google, as your messages will NOT appear on the server.  Google is great for
searching,
but if you want to use a web based newsreader to post, use the one at
my.sybase.com or
www.pfcguide.com.

0
Bruce
10/4/2002 1:32:21 PM
You seem to be implying it's too difficult to do.
0
mike_long
10/4/2002 5:18:03 PM
Are you sure?

Think about a PFC app (or any PB app that makes extensive
use of OO and has deep hierarchical levels).  It is possible
that some replacements in some ancestors will prevent some other
ancestors from being compiled.  Then, some children will
not be able to compile.

Even if all replacements are done,
once you are done, you have to do a full build.  Who knows?

Ben

> <<Global replace: I don't think it is technically possible.>>
>
> We can send a robot to Mars.  I think we can develop a Global Replace :)

LOL :-)

Of course it's technically possible, it's just a question of automating the
process of selecting each object in turn and doing a search/replace on it.
Piece of cake, should take someone about 10 minutes to code.

Simon

0
Ben
10/4/2002 5:41:48 PM
<<Think about a PFC app (or any PB app that makes extensive
use of OO and has deep hierarchical levels).  It is possible
that some replacements in some ancestors will prevent some other
ancestors from being compiled.  Then, some children will
not be able to compile. >>

You're really not making a point.  If an automated change to an ancestor
can cause another ancestor to not compile, that's no different than if a
developer made the same change manually.

And by no means should the IDE force the developer to use the Global
Search/Replace.  It would be there for the experienced coder who knows what
he/she is doing. If I want to replace every occurance of "TRUE" with
"FALSE" let me do it.

<<Even if all replacements are done,
once you are done, you have to do a full build.>>

That's good thing.
0
mike_long
10/5/2002 1:37:28 AM
Let's try with a concrete example.

Given a PFC app, please save a backup copy.  Then,
try to change every instance of w_sheet to w_page.
Then, let us know the scope of the problem.

Ben

Re: Global Search and Replace. PLEASE!

<>
You're really not making a point.  If an automated change to an ancestor
can cause another ancestor to not compile, that's no different than if a
developer made the same change manually.

And by no means should the IDE force the developer to use the Global
Search/Replace.  It would be there for the experienced coder who knows what

he/she is doing. If I want to replace every occurance of "TRUE" with
"FALSE" let me do it.

<<Even if all replacements are done,
once you are done, you have to do a full build.>>

That's good thing.

0
Ben
10/5/2002 8:06:32 PM
What if I tried to replace every letter "a" with a letter "i".  Ohhh.  That
could be bad.  How about giving the developer a little credit and assume
he/she knows something about the application/architecture.  Like I said, no
one would be forced to use it.  It should be easy to implement as a Team
Sybase member stated earlier.  I've had multiple occasions where I could
have used it and saved a lot of time.
0
mike_long
10/5/2002 10:26:06 PM
Again, the PBL stands in the way of productivity.  Death to the PBL!

<mike_long> wrote in message
> A code editor MUST come equipped with a built-in search/replace function.

0
Leo
10/6/2002 3:58:30 AM
Same here.

I did some PB courses and when people ask me about "Global Search and
Replace", I had to explain that the shortest way to do that is to
export/import and search/replace with another tool... I doesn't look
great...

<mike_long> a �crit dans le message news:
7DEC555E6F545EFC007B3D6E85256C49.0071D3BF85256C49@webforums...
> What if I tried to replace every letter "a" with a letter "i".  Ohhh.
That
> could be bad.  How about giving the developer a little credit and assume
> he/she knows something about the application/architecture.  Like I said,
no
> one would be forced to use it.  It should be easy to implement as a Team
> Sybase member stated earlier.  I've had multiple occasions where I could
> have used it and saved a lot of time.

0
Mathieu

Global Search/Replace
Can someone please tell me how to do a global search/replace. I've located the search function in the outline, but where is the replace function? Not built in, but take a look at PibblePeeper on www.techno-kitten.com "Nutshell" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:43b54b85$1@forums-1-dub... > Can someone please tell me how to do a global search/replace. I've located > the search function in the outline, but where is the replace function? > > Thanks Jerry! "Jerry Siegel" <jerrys@dataDASHsciDOTcom.die.spammer.die.die.d...

Global Search and Replace
Hi All, Is there a way to do a search and replace for all objects in a Model? E.g., I have an OOM with 100's of methods and need to clean up the code by renaming variables and object names in all methods for all classes. -TIA ...

Please please please
Folks, Please can we stop the petty bickering about banning or not banning............... The points have been made and in my opinion this is not the place to carry on with it. Once again - PLEASE! Regards Ian _____________________________________ Ian Sargent Education & Training Consulting Services Ltd Tel/Fax: 01344 644579 Mobile: 07970 847197 email: ians@etcs.co.uk www: http://www.etcs.co.uk _____________________________________ "Ian Sargent" <ians@nospam_etcs.co.uk> wrote in news:af7d6c$2da6$1 @news.grc.com: > Please can we st...

please please please
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: please please please Comments: could you please resolve this crashing. the browsers crashes so often... I'm watching streaming video and it crashes in the middle of it... which costs me. I don't want to exceed me bandwith with friggin rogers. they're a pain. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you mus...

Please Please Please
I have only been asking for 4 years but PLEASE include a setting at the accounts level that sets the default compose to plain text if the account of type NEWS. Its a PITA to have to recall or remember to change my compose to plain text manually! Andre, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check a...

Please, please, please ....
Name: Dean Talboys Email: deanatlouistalboysdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Please, please, please .... Comments: Could you include a button on Firefox to register the currently viewed site as Firefox "Unfriendly"? I'm a developer of sophisticated Internet applications (check out http://www.psychl.com/ONE/cyclex.asp to see how much abuse a browser can take) and I always spend time to ensure my sites are IE and Firefox compatible. But I'm really frustrated at the number of sites that aren't Firefox compatible. You know, you get to the last screen of ...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Name: Nick Crain Email: n.crain_at_rogers.com Product: Firefox Summary: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Comments: Can you please include a rss feed indicator thing like IE 7 has. You know where every time you visit a page that has an rss feed available it beeps and then you can subscribe to it? That is such a handy feature. It's just too bad it's on a damn microsux product. please put it in firefox. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7 Nick Crain wrote: > Name: Nick Crain > Email: n.crain_at_r...

Please! Please! Please! Please! Help
I am very new to the Linux/Oracle/Perl world coming from a many many years of a Windows environment. I have self learned everything I know about this new environment. So far I have successfully installed Redhat 9 in an Intel box and have gotten Oracle 9I running correctly. I can run scripts via sqlplus, sqlldr etc. Perl (I think ver. 5.8.0) is running on the box and I can create and run scripts that do other processes but I have had no success in getting Perl to connect to the Oracle database to generate some reports. With my experience using MS-SQL there is no major issues w...

Tools to globally search'n replace in source code.
I'm looking for any third party tools to loop through all libraries/objects searching and replacing source code. In specific, we need to replace (remove) all references to the owner in SQL statements (owner.objname), and of course, with good accuracy. (A global search for the expression returned 13K hits!). Or - might be ewen better - any API or resource to access and/or export all objects in PBL libraries, so that we can make our own search/replace application. TIA... Andre PBL Peeper (see below) does search and replace. In fact, when I added datawindow SQL as a scope ...

Search & Global Search in PB7
Hi, After the migration from PB5.04 to PB7.0.2.8003, we have some problems with the 'Search' option : the results are often incomplete (with the Global Search) or PB displays the msg "Match not found...". Regenerating & Optimizing options don't resolve the problems. Well-known bug ? By now, we use PBBrowse v2.2 to get right informations. Tks East Well known, often publicized, fixed in 7.02 build 7023 or thereabouts. Still fixed in the latest C3 patch, available from my.sybase.com regards, Bill East24 wrote: > Hi, > > After t...

Search & Global Search in PB 7
Is it just me or have the library painter's Search & Global Search become, for all intents and purposes, useless in PB 7? If I were a less tactful sort I would even say "they suck". I select 1 (count 'em one) object, click the Binoculars, paste in text that I just copied out of one of the scripts, & I get "nope...not there." Global Search acts the same way, presumably because it all goes through the same code eventually. We're using PB 7.0.1, Bld 6012 on Win2K. TIA jeff You're using quite an old build there. There was a bug in...

Please Please Please HELP!!!
I have posted this many times to no avail. I managed to publish the site somwhere despite being an intranet. I have published the site just in case I was not clear in explaining the prblem that I was having. Go to http://www.undg.ks.undp.org/test/login.aspx and login with userid: test password: test Click on 'search for cases' and then click on the search button (the dates are inserted automatically). Click on the paging and try to go to page 12,13,14,15 - any page really above page 11. Can you see what is happening? Below is the code that I am using. Please tell me wha...

Please Please Please help
I am trying to populate a second dropdownlist from the first. both dropdownlists are displayed inside the datagrid. I can populate the first one easily but my onselectedindexchanged event states: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Source Error: Line 195...

Please Please Please help me out...
hello, our netware 6.0 file server can'nt connect the internet, we have a proxyserver with netware 6.0 and BM 3.8. can somebody please help me out i'm a newbie. hello, our netware 6.0 file server can'nt connect the internet, we have a proxyserver with netware 6.0 and BM 3.8. can somebody please help me out i'm a newbie. the file server ip is 192.20.71.1 the proxy ip is 192.20.71.252 akula_26@hotmail.com wrote: > our netware 6.0 file server can'nt connect the internet, we have a > proxyserver with netware 6.0 and BM 3.8. can somebody please hel...

Web resources about - Global Search and Replace. PLEASE! - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

File:Replace this image male.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
to an image (e.g. you photographed or drew it yourself) and would like Wikipedia to use it, you must release it under a free copyright license ...

‘Pages And Public Figures’ Replaces ‘Following’ In Facebook’s News Feed Menu
Facebook appears to have slightly altered its News Feed options , changing the listing for “Following” to “Pages and Public Figures.” continued… ...

Facebook replaces ‘brand resource center’ with new website and assets
Facebook has launched Facebookbrand.com to replace its previous brand resource center. The new site is more visual and offers additional guidance ...

Funny Movie Maker - Replace Your Face on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Funny Movie Maker - Replace Your Face. Download Funny Movie Maker ...

NASA just chose SpaceX to replace the Shuttle for flying astronauts
jurvetson posted a photo: Elon's design goal = "the safest, most advanced crew vehicle ever flown.” With seats for seven . First manned flight ...

Surface Pro 3: The tablet that can replace your laptop. - YouTube
With a 12" display, Surface Pro 3 has the power of a laptop in a lightweight, versatile form. In this TV ad, with one continuous take the camera ...

Ministry of Labour replaces plastic cards with e-cards - The National
... printed out and accessed by employers and employees, and documents will be linked to Emirates ID. Those already employed will not have to replace ...

Change of the Day: Canadian Town Wants to Replace Its ‘Land of Rape & Honey’ Motto
The town of Tisdale in Saskatchewan has had a very unfortunate slogan for the past 60 years, and they’re finally looking for a new one. Visitors ...

ASI helps Cloud wholesaler replace Cisco hardware with Brocade rentals
ARNnet ASI helps Cloud wholesaler replace Cisco hardware with Brocade rentals ARNnet Cloud Plus is transitioning from Cisco to Brocade hardware ...

Replace petrol taxes with pay-as-you-go road charging, experts say
The rise of fuel efficient cars will force governments to look for alternatives to petrol taxes, a roads conference heard on Monday, with advocates ...