distributed powerbuilder

What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
but realizes a good way for interapplication
communication. Also for smaller multitier
functionality customer is not always interested
in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
for stopping this technology.

--
Chris Werner

0
Chris

"Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message news:Oa6MXhkHDHA.277@forums-2-dub...
> What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> but realizes a good way for interapplication
> communication. Also for smaller multitier
> functionality customer is not always interested
> in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> for stopping this technology.
>

> --
> Chris Werner

<deadHorse status="beaten"/>

0
Paul
5/19/2003 9:05:03 PM
ROFL! (And I swore I wasn't going to comment on this thread).

><deadHorse status="beaten"/>

0
dfish
5/19/2003 9:42:51 PM
Dave,
Did you see Vettori's figures?... (hides cricket comment in thread no-one
will read :-))
"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> ROFL! (And I swore I wasn't going to comment on this thread).
>
> ><deadHorse status="beaten"/>

0
Brett
5/20/2003 4:05:52 AM
Is that a standard Tag?

:-)
"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
"Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
> What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> but realizes a good way for interapplication
> communication. Also for smaller multitier
> functionality customer is not always interested
> in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> for stopping this technology.
>

> --
> Chris Werner

<deadHorse status="beaten"/>

0
Russ
5/20/2003 11:41:38 AM
Yup, that's what you said ;-)...You gotta give Chris credit for being
persistent though.

--
Evita R. Chapa
Senior Systems Analyst II

"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> ROFL! (And I swore I wasn't going to comment on this thread).
>
> ><deadHorse status="beaten"/>

Since DPB is a dead horse, why not start an open source project to build
your own DPB?  With PB9, one could easily use PBNI to integrate with some
C socket libraries for the distributed communication.  Just add some code
to marshal calls and you've got a basic distributed system.

Regards,
John

"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
> "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
> > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> > but realizes a good way for interapplication
> > communication. Also for smaller multitier
> > functionality customer is not always interested
> > in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> > for stopping this technology.
> >

> > --
> > Chris Werner
> >

> <deadHorse status="beaten"/>

0
John
5/20/2003 12:27:47 PM
Well there are marshaller extensions in PBNI so, happy coding!

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
www.sybase.com/pocketpb - Pocket PowerBuilder!

On Tue, 20 May 2003 07:27:47 -0500, "John Urberg"
<john_urberg@no-spam-yahoo.com> wrote:

>Since DPB is a dead horse, why not start an open source project to build
>your own DPB?  With PB9, one could easily use PBNI to integrate with some
>C socket libraries for the distributed communication.  Just add some code
>to marshal calls and you've got a basic distributed system.
>
>Regards,
>John
>
>"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
>> "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
>> > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
>> > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
>> > but realizes a good way for interapplication
>> > communication. Also for smaller multitier
>> > functionality customer is not always interested
>> > in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
>> > for stopping this technology.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Chris Werner
>> >

>> <deadHorse status="beaten"/>

0
dfish
5/20/2003 12:59:53 PM
Jhon.. Its great Idea.... We need to have C Stuff... I know PB Devl's will
not be interested to do lot of Coding...

If you got any Samples with PB 9.0 (Not using EAServer) which replaces DPB
it would be fantastic....

Rgds
Vasu

"John Urberg" <john_urberg@no-spam-yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Since DPB is a dead horse, why not start an open source project to build
> your own DPB?  With PB9, one could easily use PBNI to integrate with some
> C socket libraries for the distributed communication.  Just add some code
> to marshal calls and you've got a basic distributed system.
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
> > "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
> > > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> > > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> > > but realizes a good way for interapplication
> > > communication. Also for smaller multitier
> > > functionality customer is not always interested
> > > in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> > > for stopping this technology.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Chris Werner
> > >

> > <deadHorse status="beaten"/>

0
Vasu
5/20/2003 1:05:16 PM
Damn it Paul, i was gonna do a carson reply... <yawn>

--
Adam Simmonds
Lead Analyst/Programmer � Web Development

0
Adam
5/20/2003 2:19:57 PM
Chris;

  I agree 100%!

Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real" developers
want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).

And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.

Regards .... Chris

"Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
> What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> but realizes a good way for interapplication
> communication. Also for smaller multitier
> functionality customer is not always interested
> in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> for stopping this technology.
>

> --
> Chris Werner

0
Chris
5/20/2003 2:32:40 PM
"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message news:%23Tt8n0tHDHA.213@forums-1-dub...
> Chris;
>
>   I agree 100%!
>
> Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real" developers
> want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).
>
> And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.
>
> Regards .... Chris

A Web Pole?   Is that an internet site based in Warsaw?

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]  (a "real" developer who is responding anyway)

0
Paul
5/20/2003 2:48:50 PM
I'll bite.  I really like the Advanced Powerbuilder Utilities (search
utility in particular) and the Synchronizer from PB6.5, I wouldn't mind
seeing flashy new versions of those.  But the old ones still work fine, so
it's not a big deal.  I know that PBL Peeper will do some of this stuff, but
I think it would be cool if PB came with this stuff again.

Pat

> Chris;
>
>   I agree 100%!
>
> Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real" developers
> want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).
>
> And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.
>
> Regards .... Chris

0
Pat
5/20/2003 3:28:05 PM
It might be an on-line striptease site....

> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > Chris;
> >
> >   I agree 100%!
> >
> > Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real"
developers
> > want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).
> >
> > And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.
> >
> > Regards .... Chris
> >

> A Web Pole?   Is that an internet site based in Warsaw?
>
> --
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]  (a "real" developer who is responding anyway)

0
Daniel
5/20/2003 3:29:30 PM
>   I agree 100%!

Me toooo

> Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real" developers
> want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).

They are not........

> And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.

I'm not TeamSybase Member.....

Rgds
Vasu

0
Vasu
5/20/2003 3:43:59 PM
for that matter, for EVERY tool/feature to be discontinued my Sybase, there
should be a poll to know developer's opinion ..as ultimately we are the one
who end up "finding" "other" means / workarounds for already coded stuff to
work.

"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > Chris;
> >
> >   I agree 100%!
> >
> > Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real"
developers
> > want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).
> >
> > And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.
> >
> > Regards .... Chris
> >

> A Web Pole?   Is that an internet site based in Warsaw?
>
> --
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]  (a "real" developer who is responding anyway)

0
WS
5/20/2003 4:53:02 PM
Go to http://sybase.codeexchange.com site for PBNI samples

<WS> wrote in message news:ufT4DDvHDHA.334@forums-1-dub...
> for that matter, for EVERY tool/feature to be discontinued my Sybase,
there
> should be a poll to know developer's opinion ..as ultimately we are the
one
> who end up "finding" "other" means / workarounds for already coded stuff
> work.
>
> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
> > "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > > Chris;
> > >
> > >   I agree 100%!
> > >
> > > Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real"
> developers
> > > want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).
> > >
> > > And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.
> > >
> > > Regards .... Chris
> > >

> > A Web Pole?   Is that an internet site based in Warsaw?
> >
> > --
> > Paul Horan[TeamSybase]  (a "real" developer who is responding anyway)

0
Vikas
5/20/2003 4:57:49 PM
what for?

"Vikas J" <vanjacobson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Go to http://sybase.codeexchange.com site for PBNI samples
>

> <WS> wrote in message news:ufT4DDvHDHA.334@forums-1-dub...
> > for that matter, for EVERY tool/feature to be discontinued my Sybase,
> there
> > should be a poll to know developer's opinion ..as ultimately we are the
> one
> > who end up "finding" "other" means / workarounds for already coded stuff
> > work.
> >
> > "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
> > > "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message

> > developers

> > > A Web Pole?   Is that an internet site based in Warsaw?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Paul Horan[TeamSybase]  (a "real" developer who is responding anyway)

0
WS
5/20/2003 5:06:28 PM
You mean:

http://codexchange.sybase.com

On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:27:49 +0530,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion
Vikas J <vanjacobson@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Go to http://sybase.codeexchange.com site for PBNI samples
>

><WS> wrote in message news:ufT4DDvHDHA.334@forums-1-dub...
>> for that matter, for EVERY tool/feature to be discontinued my Sybase,
>there
>> should be a poll to know developer's opinion ..as ultimately we are the
>one
>> who end up "finding" "other" means / workarounds for already coded stuff
>> work.
>>
>> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
>> > "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message

>> developers

>> > A Web Pole?   Is that an internet site based in Warsaw?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Paul Horan[TeamSybase]  (a "real" developer who is responding anyway)

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com

Hurrah!  Google Groups works again!  But remember its only good for searching,
don't post through it.
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en&as_ugroup=powersoft.public.
powerbuilder.*

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
5/20/2003 5:57:15 PM
On Tue, 20 May 2003 10:32:40 -0400,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion
Chris Pollach <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote:

>And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.

And that's because....?

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com

Hurrah!  Google Groups works again!  But remember its only good for searching,
don't post through it.
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en&as_ugroup=powersoft.public.
powerbuilder.*

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
5/20/2003 5:59:31 PM
And, FWIW, the source code for the APU and the Synchronizer are available at
CodeXchange.  (I have it at the TeamSybase.com site as well).

On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:28:05 -0600,
Pat Madigan <patmHATESPAM@gscutahDOTcom> wrote:
>I'll bite.  I really like the Advanced Powerbuilder Utilities (search
>utility in particular) and the Synchronizer from PB6.5, I wouldn't mind
>seeing flashy new versions of those.  But the old ones still work fine, so
>it's not a big deal.  I know that PBL Peeper will do some of this stuff, but
>I think it would be cool if PB came with this stuff again.
>
>Pat
>
>"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
>> Chris;
>>
>>   I agree 100%!
>>
>> Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real" developers
>> want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).
>>
>> And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.
>>
>> Regards .... Chris

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com

Hurrah!  Google Groups works again!  But remember its only good for searching,
don't post through it.
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en&as_ugroup=powersoft.public.
powerbuilder.*

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
5/20/2003 6:03:31 PM
That's because us team members are "representing Sybase" and are not to be
considered "real developers" due to our "short-sightedness", well, at least
according to Chris.

--
<hopethishelps/>
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:eRzjRmvHDHA.213@forums-1-dub...
> On Tue, 20 May 2003 10:32:40 -0400,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion
> Chris Pollach <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote:
> >
> >And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.
> >

> And that's because....?
>

> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
>
> Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
> http://www.pb9books.com
>
> Hurrah!  Google Groups works again!  But remember its only good for
searching,
> don't post through it.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en&as_ugroup=powersoft.public.
> powerbuilder.*
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
Assisi
> http://www.needhim.org

0
Roy
5/20/2003 8:36:53 PM
Yep, I downloaded that stuff a while back.  The APU appears to be a PB/C
hybrid app, while the synchronizer was a C app.  I have pretty much
forgotten everything I ever knew about C programming, so I wouldn't go near
that unless I had a lot of time to kill.  I just made the comment because I
figured Sybase could do a better job of it than I could.

Pat

wrote in message news:uM$QgovHDHA.185@forums-2-dub...
> And, FWIW, the source code for the APU and the Synchronizer are available
at
> CodeXchange.  (I have it at the TeamSybase.com site as well).
>
> On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:28:05 -0600,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion
> Pat Madigan <patmHATESPAM@gscutahDOTcom> wrote:
> >I'll bite.  I really like the Advanced Powerbuilder Utilities (search
> >utility in particular) and the Synchronizer from PB6.5, I wouldn't mind
> >seeing flashy new versions of those.  But the old ones still work fine,
so
> >it's not a big deal.  I know that PBL Peeper will do some of this stuff,
but
> >I think it would be cool if PB came with this stuff again.
> >
> >Pat
> >
> >"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> >> Chris;
> >>
> >>   I agree 100%!
> >>
> >> Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real"
developers
> >> want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).
> >>
> >> And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.
> >>
> >> Regards .... Chris
> >>

> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
>
> Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
> http://www.pb9books.com
>
> Hurrah!  Google Groups works again!  But remember its only good for
searching,
> don't post through it.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en&as_ugroup=powersoft.pub
lic.
> powerbuilder.*
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
Assisi
> http://www.needhim.org

0
Pat
5/20/2003 9:18:08 PM
LOL! No one will read. If only it were true. Are you talking about his
4/14 against the Lankans?

I know lets have a thread that combines DPB, Cricket, and Indian food.
If that doesn't drive everyone nuts I don't know what will! <g>

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
www.sybase.com/pocketpb - Pocket PowerBuilder!

On Tue, 20 May 2003 16:05:52 +1200, "Brett" <brettatweaversoftdotcom>
wrote:

>Dave,
>Did you see Vettori's figures?... (hides cricket comment in thread no-one
>will read :-))
>"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> ROFL! (And I swore I wasn't going to comment on this thread).
>>
>> ><deadHorse status="beaten"/>

0
dfish
5/21/2003 3:21:17 AM
I agree with you....Before removing any features.. Sybase should consider
Developers Opinion... rather making object as obsolete for 2-3 versions and
removing it finally.

Thanks,

<WS> wrote in message news:ufT4DDvHDHA.334@forums-1-dub...
> for that matter, for EVERY tool/feature to be discontinued my Sybase,
there
> should be a poll to know developer's opinion ..as ultimately we are the
one
> who end up "finding" "other" means / workarounds for already coded stuff
> work.
>
> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
> > "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > > Chris;
> > >
> > >   I agree 100%!
> > >
> > > Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real"
> developers
> > > want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).
> > >
> > > And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.
> > >
> > > Regards .... Chris
> > >

> > A Web Pole?   Is that an internet site based in Warsaw?
> >
> > --
> > Paul Horan[TeamSybase]  (a "real" developer who is responding anyway)

0
Vasu
5/21/2003 4:30:13 AM
Bruce... Have you downloaded and tried migrating it to PB 9.0...... Try and
let me know, I'm sure you will find a problem.

Thanks

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:uM$QgovHDHA.185@forums-2-dub...
> And, FWIW, the source code for the APU and the Synchronizer are available
at
> CodeXchange.  (I have it at the TeamSybase.com site as well).
>
> On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:28:05 -0600,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion
> Pat Madigan <patmHATESPAM@gscutahDOTcom> wrote:
> >I'll bite.  I really like the Advanced Powerbuilder Utilities (search
> >utility in particular) and the Synchronizer from PB6.5, I wouldn't mind
> >seeing flashy new versions of those.  But the old ones still work fine,
so
> >it's not a big deal.  I know that PBL Peeper will do some of this stuff,
but
> >I think it would be cool if PB came with this stuff again.
> >
> >Pat
> >
> >"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> >> Chris;
> >>
> >>   I agree 100%!
> >>
> >> Maybe Sybase should set up a Web Pole and find out what "Real"
developers
> >> want back in the product (assuming they were "gutsy" enough to ask!).
> >>
> >> And, any "Team Sybase" people need NOT reply to this message.
> >>
> >> Regards .... Chris
> >>

> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
>
> Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
> http://www.pb9books.com
>
> Hurrah!  Google Groups works again!  But remember its only good for
searching,
> don't post through it.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en&as_ugroup=powersoft.pub
lic.
> powerbuilder.*
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
Assisi
> http://www.needhim.org

0
Vasu
5/21/2003 4:31:29 AM
Is Ben still around?????

lol

"Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> schreef in bericht
> What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> but realizes a good way for interapplication
> communication. Also for smaller multitier
> functionality customer is not always interested
> in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> for stopping this technology.
>

> --
> Chris Werner

0
Harry
5/21/2003 11:41:39 AM
Indian Food..

Kya Chaahiye ... Banda Haazir Hain Janaab.

South Indian...

Veg...

Masala Dosa
Iddli Vada
Gobi Manchoori
Poori
Chow Chow Bath
Palav
etc....

Non-Veg (Andhra Style) Famous for Non-Veg

Chiken Tandooru
Chiken 65
Chicken Fry
Gongur Chicken
Nellur Chicken
Gigner Chicken
Chicken Birayani
Prawn Masala
Mutton Birayani
etc....

Hello.. Vikas, its your trun to give North Indian Menu to Dave...

Welcome Mr.Dave,

Vasu

> LOL! No one will read. If only it were true. Are you talking about his
> 4/14 against the Lankans?
>
> I know lets have a thread that combines DPB, Cricket, and Indian food.
> If that doesn't drive everyone nuts I don't know what will! <g>
>
> Regards,
> Dave Fish
> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> www.sybase.com/pocketpb - Pocket PowerBuilder!
>
> On Tue, 20 May 2003 16:05:52 +1200, "Brett" <brettatweaversoftdotcom>
> wrote:
>
> >Dave,
> >Did you see Vettori's figures?... (hides cricket comment in thread no-one
> >will read :-))
> >"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> >> ROFL! (And I swore I wasn't going to comment on this thread).

0
Vasu
5/21/2003 1:15:26 PM
Environment le_env
Long l = 1

Do until Sybase.TakesNotice = TRUE
      deadHorse.status="beaten"
      l ++
      If  l  > 100 Then Sybase.TakesNotice = False
Loop

// Where l === # hits for DPB

GetEnvironment(le_env)

IF le_env.PBMajorRevision = 10 Then DPB.Status='Alive'

Thanks
Vasu

0
Vasu
5/21/2003 1:19:58 PM
Do until Sybase.TakesNotice = TRUE
     deadHorse.status="beaten"
Loop

- Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
www.planetdx.com
0
Joe_Slawsky
5/21/2003 1:21:34 PM
Chow Chow Bath???? Is that a type of dish?

"Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Indian Food..
>
> Kya Chaahiye ... Banda Haazir Hain Janaab.
>
> South Indian...
>
> Veg...
>
> Masala Dosa
> Iddli Vada
> Gobi Manchoori
> Poori
> Chow Chow Bath
> Palav
> etc....
>
> Non-Veg (Andhra Style) Famous for Non-Veg
>
> Chiken Tandooru
> Chiken 65
> Chicken Fry
> Gongur Chicken
> Nellur Chicken
> Gigner Chicken
> Chicken Birayani
> Prawn Masala
> Mutton Birayani
> etc....
>
> Hello.. Vikas, its your trun to give North Indian Menu to Dave...
>
> Welcome Mr.Dave,
>
> Vasu
>

> "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > LOL! No one will read. If only it were true. Are you talking about his
> > 4/14 against the Lankans?
> >
> > I know lets have a thread that combines DPB, Cricket, and Indian food.
> > If that doesn't drive everyone nuts I don't know what will! <g>
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave Fish
> > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> > www.sybase.com/pocketpb - Pocket PowerBuilder!
> >
> > On Tue, 20 May 2003 16:05:52 +1200, "Brett" <brettatweaversoftdotcom>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Dave,
> > >Did you see Vettori's figures?... (hides cricket comment in thread
no-one
> > >will read :-))
> > >"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message

0
Austin
5/21/2003 1:22:41 PM
IF Sybase.Set_up_newsgroups (user_to_user_communication) THEN
	Sybase.Reads_newsgroups = FALSE
	// actually = Dave Fish, and Dave Fish.Read_it_already = TRUE
	IF deadHorse.status = "beaten" THEN
		Goals_achieved[] = Empty[]
		Goals_achieved[1] = "Annoy fellow developers who've heard it
already"
	END IF
END IF

On Wed, 21 May 2003 09:21:34 -0400, Joe_Slawsky wrote:

>Do until Sybase.TakesNotice = TRUE
>     deadHorse.status="beaten"
>Loop
>
>- Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
>www.planetdx.com

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
See the new PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
5/21/2003 1:30:28 PM
Roy will have a whinge again in the TS newsgroups <VBG>
a.

--
Adam Simmonds
Lead Analyst/Programmer � Web Development
Student Administration Program
Major Projects Group
The University of Sydney
Ph. +61 2 9351 5174
Mb. +61 403 341 474

0
Adam
5/21/2003 1:40:08 PM
Dosai! YUM!

--
Adam Simmonds
Lead Analyst/Programmer � Web Development
Student Administration Program
Major Projects Group
The University of Sydney
Ph. +61 2 9351 5174
Mb. +61 403 341 474

0
Adam
5/21/2003 1:40:25 PM
Atleast we are getting coding examples now. <VBG>

Tyler

"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> IF Sybase.Set_up_newsgroups (user_to_user_communication) THEN
> Sybase.Reads_newsgroups = FALSE
> // actually = Dave Fish, and Dave Fish.Read_it_already = TRUE
> IF deadHorse.status = "beaten" THEN
> Goals_achieved[] = Empty[]
> Goals_achieved[1] = "Annoy fellow developers who've heard it
> already"
> END IF
> END IF
>
> On Wed, 21 May 2003 09:21:34 -0400, Joe_Slawsky wrote:
>

> >Do until Sybase.TakesNotice = TRUE
> >     deadHorse.status="beaten"
> >Loop
> >
> >- Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> >www.planetdx.com
>

> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 2.2.05 now available at the Sandbox
> See the new PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Tyler
5/21/2003 1:45:30 PM
Joe_Slawsky wrote:

> Do until Sybase.TakesNotice = TRUE
>      deadHorse.status="beaten"
> Loop
>
> - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> www.planetdx.com

So may I ask what you are willing to pay for DPB?
a.

0
Adam
5/21/2003 2:04:43 PM
Austin Phillips wrote:

> Chow Chow Bath???? Is that a type of dish?

Sounds like something you pay for <BG>
a.

--
Adam Simmonds
Lead Analyst/Programmer � Web Development
Student Administration Program
Major Projects Group
The University of Sydney
Ph. +61 2 9351 5174
Mb. +61 403 341 474

0
Adam
5/21/2003 2:05:33 PM
Yes, It is has got two dishes

1. Kesri Bath  tastes Sweet
2. Khara Bath tastes like Burger

Thanks
5 * Chef

"Austin Phillips" <aphillips@NO_SPAM_aticousa.com> wrote in message
> Chow Chow Bath???? Is that a type of dish?
>
> "Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Indian Food..
> >
> > Kya Chaahiye ... Banda Haazir Hain Janaab.
> >
> > South Indian...
> >
> > Veg...
> >
> > Masala Dosa
> > Iddli Vada
> > Gobi Manchoori
> > Poori
> > Chow Chow Bath
> > Palav
> > etc....
> >
> > Non-Veg (Andhra Style) Famous for Non-Veg
> >
> > Chiken Tandooru
> > Chiken 65
> > Chicken Fry
> > Gongur Chicken
> > Nellur Chicken
> > Gigner Chicken
> > Chicken Birayani
> > Prawn Masala
> > Mutton Birayani
> > etc....
> >
> > Hello.. Vikas, its your trun to give North Indian Menu to Dave...
> >
> > Welcome Mr.Dave,
> >
> > Vasu
> >

> > "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > > LOL! No one will read. If only it were true. Are you talking about his
> > > 4/14 against the Lankans?
> > >
> > > I know lets have a thread that combines DPB, Cricket, and Indian food.
> > > If that doesn't drive everyone nuts I don't know what will! <g>
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Dave Fish
> > > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> > > www.sybase.com/pocketpb - Pocket PowerBuilder!

> no-one

0
Vasu
5/21/2003 2:53:54 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha..... Its not Steam Bath... Its Food Bath..

0
Vasu
5/21/2003 3:04:35 PM
Okay, thank you all (pro's and contra's)
for explanations and opinions. Thank to the
pro's for supporting my point of view
(only divided pain now), thank to the
contra's for the arguments I can now
facing my customers with. Of course
I'm not contently with the situation and
perspective but it seems useless to
persist at this point. Nevertheless I
don't think to go to VB or java or whatever,
but will waiting longer now before I use new
PowerBuilder technologies. I believe a
managment can always find apparently
good and enough reasons to do whatever
it wants to do. (Thats also the reason
why I find it better to play roulette than
to by shares.)

So sorry for my babel fish powered
english

Chris Werner

"Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> but realizes a good way for interapplication
> communication. Also for smaller multitier
> functionality customer is not always interested
> in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> for stopping this technology.
>

> --
> Chris Werner

0
Chris
5/21/2003 3:10:16 PM
don't take "Bath" as a bath that you probably take every morning and I hope
that is not what Vasu was talking about.

Bath means "Rice"

"Austin Phillips" <aphillips@NO_SPAM_aticousa.com> wrote in message
> Chow Chow Bath???? Is that a type of dish?
>
> "Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Indian Food..
> >
> > Kya Chaahiye ... Banda Haazir Hain Janaab.
> >
> > South Indian...
> >
> > Veg...
> >
> > Masala Dosa
> > Iddli Vada
> > Gobi Manchoori
> > Poori
> > Chow Chow Bath
> > Palav
> > etc....
> >
> > Non-Veg (Andhra Style) Famous for Non-Veg
> >
> > Chiken Tandooru
> > Chiken 65
> > Chicken Fry
> > Gongur Chicken
> > Nellur Chicken
> > Gigner Chicken
> > Chicken Birayani
> > Prawn Masala
> > Mutton Birayani
> > etc....
> >
> > Hello.. Vikas, its your trun to give North Indian Menu to Dave...
> >
> > Welcome Mr.Dave,
> >
> > Vasu
> >

> > "Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > > LOL! No one will read. If only it were true. Are you talking about his
> > > 4/14 against the Lankans?
> > >
> > > I know lets have a thread that combines DPB, Cricket, and Indian food.
> > > If that doesn't drive everyone nuts I don't know what will! <g>
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Dave Fish
> > > Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> > > www.sybase.com/pocketpb - Pocket PowerBuilder!

> no-one

0
Ben
5/21/2003 3:13:56 PM
Now you are just making me hungry! This is part of your plan to get me
over there for the seminar series isn't it? (It's working).

On Wed, 21 May 2003 18:45:26 +0530, "Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Indian Food..
>
>Kya Chaahiye ... Banda Haazir Hain Janaab.
>
>South Indian...
>
>Veg...
>
>Masala Dosa
>Iddli Vada
>Gobi Manchoori
>Poori
>Chow Chow Bath
>Palav
>etc....
>
>Non-Veg (Andhra Style) Famous for Non-Veg
>
>Chiken Tandooru
>Chiken 65
>Chicken Fry
>Gongur Chicken
>Nellur Chicken
>Gigner Chicken
>Chicken Birayani
>Prawn Masala
>Mutton Birayani
>etc....
>
>Hello.. Vikas, its your trun to give North Indian Menu to Dave...
>
>Welcome Mr.Dave,
>
>Vasu
>

>"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> LOL! No one will read. If only it were true. Are you talking about his
>> 4/14 against the Lankans?
>>
>> I know lets have a thread that combines DPB, Cricket, and Indian food.
>> If that doesn't drive everyone nuts I don't know what will! <g>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave Fish
>> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>> www.sybase.com/pocketpb - Pocket PowerBuilder!
>>
>> On Tue, 20 May 2003 16:05:52 +1200, "Brett" <brettatweaversoftdotcom>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Dave,
>> >Did you see Vettori's figures?... (hides cricket comment in thread no-one
>> >will read :-))
>> >"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message

0
dfish
5/21/2003 3:18:12 PM
Althought I liked DPB, I have no need for it at this time.  My point may
have been a little vague,  what I am saying is that until Sybase puts it
back, the subject will continue to be beaten to death.  This is one of
those subjects that there is no end to, Sybase is nto going to bring back
DPB, and developers will forever conplain that it is no longer part of PB.
It is a never ending thread.

Hopefully that clears things up.  Maybe we need to add comments to the code
for clarity..........

> Do until Sybase.TakesNotice = TRUE
>      deadHorse.status="beaten"
> Loop
>
> - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> www.planetdx.com

So may I ask what you are willing to pay for DPB?
a.
0
Joe_Slawsky
5/21/2003 3:29:11 PM
Joe;

 Here is one reason why many customers can not upgrade to PB 8+ .... A 3rd
party product needs to read what a PB client application is doing. Calls OLE
Server (PB), which contacts client PB application (listening). PB OLE Server
application calls NVO in real client PB application to get data & status.
Then passes this back to 3rd party software. Works great (up to PB 7).

You can not expect a copy of EAServer on every workstation, but DPB fit the
bill and worked super! There are many other circumstances that I could name.

So now Sybase has basically Pi**ed off these organizations that were
building applications that could use this feature to provide special
connectivity. You can not use 3rd party OCX's because they do not work from
an OLE (in-process) Server. So now the applications are stuck at PB 7 level.
This is ticking off the developers and management, so now they are looking
at rewriting the applications in VB or Java which support sockets. So much
for PB - put another nail in the coffin!

Regards ... Chris

<Joe_Slawsky> wrote in message
> Althought I liked DPB, I have no need for it at this time.  My point may
> have been a little vague,  what I am saying is that until Sybase puts it
> back, the subject will continue to be beaten to death.  This is one of
> those subjects that there is no end to, Sybase is nto going to bring back
> DPB, and developers will forever conplain that it is no longer part of PB.
> It is a never ending thread.
>
> Hopefully that clears things up.  Maybe we need to add comments to the
code
> for clarity..........
>
> > Do until Sybase.TakesNotice = TRUE
> >      deadHorse.status="beaten"
> > Loop
> >
> > - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> > www.planetdx.com
>
> So may I ask what you are willing to pay for DPB?
> a.

0
Chris
5/21/2003 3:29:29 PM
You hit the nail on the head. We are now looking at doing a Java stored
procedure running in the Oracle database, which will be called by RPCFUNC.
It's a kludge, but it may be the only way to get beyond 6.5.1. [I have
previously mentioned that EAS is not an option, it would add too much cost
in both licensing and administration for out smaller clients.]

> Joe;
>
>  Here is one reason why many customers can not upgrade to PB 8+ .... A 3rd
> party product needs to read what a PB client application is doing. Calls
OLE
> Server (PB), which contacts client PB application (listening). PB OLE
Server
> application calls NVO in real client PB application to get data & status.
> Then passes this back to 3rd party software. Works great (up to PB 7).
>
> You can not expect a copy of EAServer on every workstation, but DPB fit
the
> bill and worked super! There are many other circumstances that I could
name.

> So now Sybase has basically Pi**ed off these organizations that were
> building applications that could use this feature to provide special
> connectivity. You can not use 3rd party OCX's because they do not work
from
> an OLE (in-process) Server. So now the applications are stuck at PB 7
level.
> This is ticking off the developers and management, so now they are looking
> at rewriting the applications in VB or Java which support sockets. So much
> for PB - put another nail in the coffin!
>
> Regards ... Chris
>
> <Joe_Slawsky> wrote in message
> > Althought I liked DPB, I have no need for it at this time.  My point may
> > have been a little vague,  what I am saying is that until Sybase puts it
> > back, the subject will continue to be beaten to death.  This is one of
> > those subjects that there is no end to, Sybase is nto going to bring
back
> > DPB, and developers will forever conplain that it is no longer part of
PB.
> > It is a never ending thread.
> >
> > Hopefully that clears things up.  Maybe we need to add comments to the
> code
> > for clarity..........
> >
> > > Do until Sybase.TakesNotice = TRUE
> > >      deadHorse.status="beaten"
> > > Loop
> > >
> > > - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> > > www.planetdx.com
> >
> > So may I ask what you are willing to pay for DPB?
> > a.

0
Jerry
5/21/2003 3:56:55 PM
I'm clean Bold to your Spin (Shane Style)...

Let us have Non-Veg Andhra Style Dinner.

Expecting you eagerly...

Thanks
Vasu

> Now you are just making me hungry! This is part of your plan to get me
> over there for the seminar series isn't it? (It's working).
>
> On Wed, 21 May 2003 18:45:26 +0530, "Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Indian Food..
> >
> >Kya Chaahiye ... Banda Haazir Hain Janaab.
> >
> >South Indian...
> >
> >Veg...
> >
> >Masala Dosa
> >Iddli Vada
> >Gobi Manchoori
> >Poori
> >Chow Chow Bath
> >Palav
> >etc....
> >
> >Non-Veg (Andhra Style) Famous for Non-Veg
> >
> >Chiken Tandooru
> >Chiken 65
> >Chicken Fry
> >Gongur Chicken
> >Nellur Chicken
> >Gigner Chicken
> >Chicken Birayani
> >Prawn Masala
> >Mutton Birayani
> >etc....
> >
> >Hello.. Vikas, its your trun to give North Indian Menu to Dave...
> >
> >Welcome Mr.Dave,
> >
> >Vasu
> >

> >"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
> >> LOL! No one will read. If only it were true. Are you talking about his
> >> 4/14 against the Lankans?
> >>
> >> I know lets have a thread that combines DPB, Cricket, and Indian food.
> >> If that doesn't drive everyone nuts I don't know what will! <g>
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave Fish
> >> Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
> >> www.sybase.com/pocketpb - Pocket PowerBuilder!

0
Vasu
5/21/2003 4:30:49 PM
I did not say there weren't reasons for keeping DPB, just that Sybase has
made their position clear on the subject, but every few months it comes up
again and again in the newsgroups.  When it does, the subject is beaten to
death over and over again with no change (that I know of) in the Sybase
position and posters becomming increasingly defensive about their
positions.

This has to be one of the most polarizing issues in the newsgroup.

- Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
www.planetdx.com
0
Joe_Slawsky
5/21/2003 5:33:32 PM
Joe;

 From the subject activity, if I were working for Sybase, I think I would
take notice of all the activity on why people would like this feature back.

On the other hand ... from a great song lyric ...
"Put another log on the fire, fetch my slippers and iron my new blue jeans
.... Put another log on the fire, and come and tell me why your leaving me!"

> I did not say there weren't reasons for keeping DPB, just that Sybase has
> made their position clear on the subject, but every few months it comes up
> again and again in the newsgroups.  When it does, the subject is beaten to
> death over and over again with no change (that I know of) in the Sybase
> position and posters becomming increasingly defensive about their
> positions.
>
> This has to be one of the most polarizing issues in the newsgroup.
>
> - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> www.planetdx.com

0
Chris
5/21/2003 5:37:55 PM
That's a soup made from the water after giving your dog a bath.

Austin Phillips wrote:
> Chow Chow Bath???? Is that a type of dish?
>
> "Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Indian Food..
>>
>>Kya Chaahiye ... Banda Haazir Hain Janaab.
>>
>>South Indian...
>>
>>Veg...
>>
>>Masala Dosa
>>Iddli Vada
>>Gobi Manchoori
>>Poori
>>Chow Chow Bath
>>Palav
>>etc....
>>
>>Non-Veg (Andhra Style) Famous for Non-Veg
>>
>>Chiken Tandooru
>>Chiken 65
>>Chicken Fry
>>Gongur Chicken
>>Nellur Chicken
>>Gigner Chicken
>>Chicken Birayani
>>Prawn Masala
>>Mutton Birayani
>>etc....
>>
>>Hello.. Vikas, its your trun to give North Indian Menu to Dave...
>>
>>Welcome Mr.Dave,
>>
>>Vasu
>>

>>"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>LOL! No one will read. If only it were true. Are you talking about his
>>>4/14 against the Lankans?
>>>
>>>I know lets have a thread that combines DPB, Cricket, and Indian food.
>>>If that doesn't drive everyone nuts I don't know what will! <g>
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Dave Fish
>>>Sybase PowerBuilder Evangelist
>>>www.sybase.com/pocketpb - Pocket PowerBuilder!

> no-one

0
Tom
5/21/2003 6:12:10 PM
Hey Joe,

although I mostly agree with
what you state, I don't like
this redundant conditionals
for pragmatic and aesthetically
reasons:

    Do until Sybase.TakesNotice = TRUE

I think it must be

    Do until Sybase.TakesNotice

It's more readable and saves mass
memory.

Besides, feeling along with this poor
beaten dead horse maybe causes some
defensiveness;)

Chris Werner

<Joe_Slawsky> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Althought I liked DPB, I have no need for it at this time.  My point may
> have been a little vague,  what I am saying is that until Sybase puts it
> back, the subject will continue to be beaten to death.  This is one of
> those subjects that there is no end to, Sybase is nto going to bring back
> DPB, and developers will forever conplain that it is no longer part of PB.
> It is a never ending thread.
>
> Hopefully that clears things up.  Maybe we need to add comments to the
code
> for clarity..........
>
> > Do until Sybase.TakesNotice = TRUE
> >      deadHorse.status="beaten"
> > Loop
> >
> > - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
> > www.planetdx.com
>
> So may I ask what you are willing to pay for DPB?
> a.

0
Chris
5/21/2003 9:35:55 PM
As I seem to spend a lot of time reading or ignoring posts about DPB, I
thought that I should get up to speed on the topic:

So, with apologies for my lack of understanding:

With all the furore surrounding it (and putting aside the argument of "why
should we have to, Sybase should provide it"), I am a bit lost as to why
someone hasn't written a DPB equivalent and marketed it as a 3rd party
tool - or even put a start into CodeExchange and requested helpers to finish
it?

Is there something about it that means that it has to be part of PB itself?

Was its design/technology so hidden that someone couldn't reproduce it?

Was its design/technology so complex that someone couldn't reproduce it?

I know that most of us wouldn't have time to do this, but there are always
people out there with time that they want to spend on programming, even
outside work hours.  So I am surprised that this debate/discussion continues
and that someone hasn't come forward with this.

As Joe says, this horse will continue to get beaten, for at least a couple
of years yet.  So, given the passion and (apparent) numbers of the pro
lobby, there must be something in it (for someone, if not Sybase).

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers and without prejudice

--
Andrew Giulinn
Software Engineering Consultant

> Okay, thank you all (pro's and contra's)
> for explanations and opinions. Thank to the
> pro's for supporting my point of view
> (only divided pain now), thank to the
> contra's for the arguments I can now
> facing my customers with. Of course
> I'm not contently with the situation and
> perspective but it seems useless to
> persist at this point. Nevertheless I
> don't think to go to VB or java or whatever,
> but will waiting longer now before I use new
> PowerBuilder technologies. I believe a
> managment can always find apparently
> good and enough reasons to do whatever
> it wants to do. (Thats also the reason
> why I find it better to play roulette than
> to by shares.)
>
> So sorry for my babel fish powered
> english
>
> Chris Werner
>
> "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> > but realizes a good way for interapplication
> > communication. Also for smaller multitier
> > functionality customer is not always interested
> > in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> > for stopping this technology.
> >

> > --
> > Chris Werner

0
Andrew
5/22/2003 12:07:54 AM
Wow, I think it's your favorite dish, YUMMY....

Thanks
Vasu

"Tom Mackin" <SPAM_NOT_TEMackin@Delinvest.com> wrote in message
> That's a soup made from the water after giving your dog a bath.
>
> Austin Phillips wrote:
> > Chow Chow Bath???? Is that a type of dish?
> >
> > "Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Indian Food..
> >>
> >>Kya Chaahiye ... Banda Haazir Hain Janaab.
> >>
> >>South Indian...
> >>
> >>Veg...
> >>
> >>Masala Dosa
> >>Iddli Vada
> >>Gobi Manchoori
> >>Poori
> >>Chow Chow Bath
> >>Palav
> >>etc....
> >>
> >>Non-Veg (Andhra Style) Famous for Non-Veg
> >>
> >>Chiken Tandooru
> >>Chiken 65
> >>Chicken Fry
> >>Gongur Chicken
> >>Nellur Chicken
> >>Gigner Chicken
> >>Chicken Birayani
> >>Prawn Masala
> >>Mutton Birayani
> >>etc....
> >>
> >>Hello.. Vikas, its your trun to give North Indian Menu to Dave...
> >>
> >>Welcome Mr.Dave,
> >>
> >>Vasu
> >>

> >>"Dave Fish [Team Sybase]" <dfish@sybase.com> wrote in message

> > no-one

0
Vasu
5/22/2003 3:59:07 AM
Dear Andrew,

actually I've thougt that my post ends
this thread (at least for me). I really agree
with SOME of your statements which I understand
as "roll up your sleeves and do it yourself". This
is possible at all but impossible in regular work time
(like you sayed). I don't want to persist on the point
that sybase first offers the technology and then
take it away (because you stated "and putting aside ...").
But the point is, maybe there are "people out there with time
that they want to spend on programming", those people
have focus on other development environments (with
J or C as prefix). I wonder if you don't know and
if you don't worried about that. But maybe I have not  interpreted
your email adress right, can't differentiate if 'au' is
Oesterreich  or Australia.

--
Chris Werner

"Andrew Giulinn" <oscar@NO.dsa.SPAM.com.PLEASE.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> As I seem to spend a lot of time reading or ignoring posts about DPB, I
> thought that I should get up to speed on the topic:
>
> So, with apologies for my lack of understanding:
>
> With all the furore surrounding it (and putting aside the argument of "why
> should we have to, Sybase should provide it"), I am a bit lost as to why
> someone hasn't written a DPB equivalent and marketed it as a 3rd party
> tool - or even put a start into CodeExchange and requested helpers to
finish
> it?
>
> Is there something about it that means that it has to be part of PB
itself?

> Was its design/technology so hidden that someone couldn't reproduce it?
>
> Was its design/technology so complex that someone couldn't reproduce it?
>
> I know that most of us wouldn't have time to do this, but there are always
> people out there with time that they want to spend on programming, even
> outside work hours.  So I am surprised that this debate/discussion
continues
> and that someone hasn't come forward with this.
>
> As Joe says, this horse will continue to get beaten, for at least a couple
> of years yet.  So, given the passion and (apparent) numbers of the pro
> lobby, there must be something in it (for someone, if not Sybase).
>
> Can anyone enlighten me?
>
> Cheers and without prejudice
>
> --
> Andrew Giulinn
> Software Engineering Consultant
> Daniel Systems Australia
>
> "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
> > Okay, thank you all (pro's and contra's)
> > for explanations and opinions. Thank to the
> > pro's for supporting my point of view
> > (only divided pain now), thank to the
> > contra's for the arguments I can now
> > facing my customers with. Of course
> > I'm not contently with the situation and
> > perspective but it seems useless to
> > persist at this point. Nevertheless I
> > don't think to go to VB or java or whatever,
> > but will waiting longer now before I use new
> > PowerBuilder technologies. I believe a
> > managment can always find apparently
> > good and enough reasons to do whatever
> > it wants to do. (Thats also the reason
> > why I find it better to play roulette than
> > to by shares.)
> >
> > So sorry for my babel fish powered
> > english
> >
> > Chris Werner
> >
> > "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> > > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> > > but realizes a good way for interapplication
> > > communication. Also for smaller multitier
> > > functionality customer is not always interested
> > > in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> > > for stopping this technology.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Chris Werner

0
Chris
5/22/2003 9:27:52 PM
Hey Chris

Yes, I am in Australia.  I think Austria is "at".

I think that you have taken my post the wrong way.

I wasn't saying "do it yourself".  I was asking "why hasn't someone done
it"?

I acknowledge the complaint about Sybase taking it away but they have and no
joy seems to be coming from complaining about it.

I am talking from an outsider's point of view - I know nothing about DPB
except that quite a number of vocal people seem to want it.

So, I was asking (since we have a number of PB add-ons (3rd party tools and
products) available out there):

    Why has no-one created a DPB equivalent and marketed/provided it as a PB
add-on?

    Are their technical reasons for that, or is it a matter of no time?

Additional questions:

    Is Sybase going to open source DPB - is that what people are waiting to
see?

    Will PBNI make any of this more possible?

Cheers

--

"Chris Werner" <cw[please_no_spam]@f-s.de> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > Cheers and without prejudice
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Giulinn
> > Software Engineering Consultant
> > Daniel Systems Australia
> >
> > "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
> > > Okay, thank you all (pro's and contra's)
> > > for explanations and opinions. Thank to the
> > > pro's for supporting my point of view
> > > (only divided pain now), thank to the
> > > contra's for the arguments I can now
> > > facing my customers with. Of course
> > > I'm not contently with the situation and
> > > perspective but it seems useless to
> > > persist at this point. Nevertheless I
> > > don't think to go to VB or java or whatever,
> > > but will waiting longer now before I use new
> > > PowerBuilder technologies. I believe a
> > > managment can always find apparently
> > > good and enough reasons to do whatever
> > > it wants to do. (Thats also the reason
> > > why I find it better to play roulette than

0
Andrew
5/23/2003 12:16:35 AM
Chris;

  Of course the real question is .....

"If Sybase really removed it, why are the ConnectionBegin and ConnectionEnd
events still in the Application Object in PB 9 (and Pocket PB)?"

Regards ... Chris
Great White North Technical Evangelist (and DPB enthusiast)

> Okay, thank you all (pro's and contra's)
> for explanations and opinions. Thank to the
> pro's for supporting my point of view
> (only divided pain now), thank to the
> contra's for the arguments I can now
> facing my customers with. Of course
> I'm not contently with the situation and
> perspective but it seems useless to
> persist at this point. Nevertheless I
> don't think to go to VB or java or whatever,
> but will waiting longer now before I use new
> PowerBuilder technologies. I believe a
> managment can always find apparently
> good and enough reasons to do whatever
> it wants to do. (Thats also the reason
> why I find it better to play roulette than
> to by shares.)
>
> So sorry for my babel fish powered
> english
>
> Chris Werner
>
> "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> > but realizes a good way for interapplication
> > communication. Also for smaller multitier
> > functionality customer is not always interested
> > in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> > for stopping this technology.
> >

> > --
> > Chris Werner

0
Chris
5/23/2003 3:28:56 PM
Sybase is planning to re-introduce Transport and Connection Object.

Thanks

> Chris;
>
>   Of course the real question is .....
>
> "If Sybase really removed it, why are the ConnectionBegin and
ConnectionEnd
> events still in the Application Object in PB 9 (and Pocket PB)?"
>
> Regards ... Chris
> Great White North Technical Evangelist (and DPB enthusiast)
>

> "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
> > Okay, thank you all (pro's and contra's)
> > for explanations and opinions. Thank to the
> > pro's for supporting my point of view
> > (only divided pain now), thank to the
> > contra's for the arguments I can now
> > facing my customers with. Of course
> > I'm not contently with the situation and
> > perspective but it seems useless to
> > persist at this point. Nevertheless I
> > don't think to go to VB or java or whatever,
> > but will waiting longer now before I use new
> > PowerBuilder technologies. I believe a
> > managment can always find apparently
> > good and enough reasons to do whatever
> > it wants to do. (Thats also the reason
> > why I find it better to play roulette than
> > to by shares.)
> >
> > So sorry for my babel fish powered
> > english
> >
> > Chris Werner
> >
> > "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> > > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> > > but realizes a good way for interapplication
> > > communication. Also for smaller multitier
> > > functionality customer is not always interested
> > > in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> > > for stopping this technology.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Chris Werner

0
Vasu
5/23/2003 4:05:35 PM
You name dropper you!

> Sybase is planning to re-introduce Transport and Connection Object.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > Chris;
> >
> >   Of course the real question is .....
> >
> > "If Sybase really removed it, why are the ConnectionBegin and
> ConnectionEnd
> > events still in the Application Object in PB 9 (and Pocket PB)?"
> >
> > Regards ... Chris
> > Great White North Technical Evangelist (and DPB enthusiast)
> >

> > "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
> > > Okay, thank you all (pro's and contra's)
> > > for explanations and opinions. Thank to the
> > > pro's for supporting my point of view
> > > (only divided pain now), thank to the
> > > contra's for the arguments I can now
> > > facing my customers with. Of course
> > > I'm not contently with the situation and
> > > perspective but it seems useless to
> > > persist at this point. Nevertheless I
> > > don't think to go to VB or java or whatever,
> > > but will waiting longer now before I use new
> > > PowerBuilder technologies. I believe a
> > > managment can always find apparently
> > > good and enough reasons to do whatever
> > > it wants to do. (Thats also the reason
> > > why I find it better to play roulette than
> > > to by shares.)
> > >
> > > So sorry for my babel fish powered
> > > english
> > >
> > > Chris Werner
> > >
> > > "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

0
Chris
5/23/2003 4:16:51 PM
hehehehe....good joke

"Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sybase is planning to re-introduce Transport and Connection Object.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > Chris;
> >
> >   Of course the real question is .....
> >
> > "If Sybase really removed it, why are the ConnectionBegin and
> ConnectionEnd
> > events still in the Application Object in PB 9 (and Pocket PB)?"
> >
> > Regards ... Chris
> > Great White North Technical Evangelist (and DPB enthusiast)
> >

> > "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
> > > Okay, thank you all (pro's and contra's)
> > > for explanations and opinions. Thank to the
> > > pro's for supporting my point of view
> > > (only divided pain now), thank to the
> > > contra's for the arguments I can now
> > > facing my customers with. Of course
> > > I'm not contently with the situation and
> > > perspective but it seems useless to
> > > persist at this point. Nevertheless I
> > > don't think to go to VB or java or whatever,
> > > but will waiting longer now before I use new
> > > PowerBuilder technologies. I believe a
> > > managment can always find apparently
> > > good and enough reasons to do whatever
> > > it wants to do. (Thats also the reason
> > > why I find it better to play roulette than
> > > to by shares.)
> > >
> > > So sorry for my babel fish powered
> > > english
> > >
> > > Chris Werner
> > >
> > > "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

0
WS
5/23/2003 5:06:51 PM
It's really difficult to remove something as once it's removed it
would cause your application to fail migration.  Some customers expect
to be able to migrate and then address things.  We went ahead and took
the plunge with PB9 by removing the transport object.  That said, it
was essentially an incomplete job of removing the references.  The
connectioninfo object is probably still there too.

On Fri, 23 May 2003 11:28:56 -0400, "Chris Pollach"
<cpollach@ajja.com> wrote:

>Chris;
>
>  Of course the real question is .....
>
>"If Sybase really removed it, why are the ConnectionBegin and ConnectionEnd
>events still in the Application Object in PB 9 (and Pocket PB)?"
>
>Regards ... Chris
>Great White North Technical Evangelist (and DPB enthusiast)
>

>"Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
>> Okay, thank you all (pro's and contra's)
>> for explanations and opinions. Thank to the
>> pro's for supporting my point of view
>> (only divided pain now), thank to the
>> contra's for the arguments I can now
>> facing my customers with. Of course
>> I'm not contently with the situation and
>> perspective but it seems useless to
>> persist at this point. Nevertheless I
>> don't think to go to VB or java or whatever,
>> but will waiting longer now before I use new
>> PowerBuilder technologies. I believe a
>> managment can always find apparently
>> good and enough reasons to do whatever
>> it wants to do. (Thats also the reason
>> why I find it better to play roulette than
>> to by shares.)
>>
>> So sorry for my babel fish powered
>> english
>>
>> Chris Werner
>>
>> "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
>> > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
>> > but realizes a good way for interapplication
>> > communication. Also for smaller multitier
>> > functionality customer is not always interested
>> > in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
>> > for stopping this technology.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Chris Werner

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA
0
joneil
5/23/2003 8:54:46 PM
I don't ask for DPB back.  I accept Sybase's decision not to
bring it back.  I also accept Sybase's decision not to have a native socket
control.

But, can Sybase help the community that wants to build DPB by itself by
taking the lead in writing (or just releasing) the protocol for inter PB
process communication.  I can write a protocol easily, but the world may
not accept it because I am not god.  But if Sybase does it, then the it is
likely the
PB community will accept it.

Ben

PS: The other thread is too long to follow.  Let me start
this one.

"Andrew Giulinn" <oscar@NO.dsa.SPAM.com.PLEASE.au>
on 05/21/2003 at 08:07 PM powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion
Re: distributed powerbuilder

Re: distributed powerbuilder

As I seem to spend a lot of time reading or ignoring posts about DPB, I
thought that I should get up to speed on the topic:
So, with apologies for my lack of understanding:

With all the furore surrounding it (and putting aside the argument of "why
should we have to, Sybase should provide it"), I am a bit lost as to why
someone hasn't written a DPB equivalent and marketed it as a 3rd party
tool - or even put a start into CodeExchange and requested helpers to
finish
it?

Is there something about it that means that it has to be part of PB itself?

Was its design/technology so hidden that someone couldn't reproduce it?

Was its design/technology so complex that someone couldn't reproduce it?

I know that most of us wouldn't have time to do this, but there are always
people out there with time that they want to spend on programming, even
outside work hours.  So I am surprised that this debate/discussion
continues
and that someone hasn't come forward with this.

As Joe says, this horse will continue to get beaten, for at least a couple
of years yet.  So, given the passion and (apparent) numbers of the pro
lobby, there must be something in it (for someone, if not Sybase).

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers and without prejudice

--
Andrew Giulinn
Software Engineering Consultant
Daniel Systems Australia

"Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
> Okay, thank you all (pro's and contra's)
> for explanations and opinions. Thank to the
> pro's for supporting my point of view
> (only divided pain now), thank to the
> contra's for the arguments I can now
> facing my customers with. Of course
> I'm not contently with the situation and
> perspective but it seems useless to
> persist at this point. Nevertheless I
> don't think to go to VB or java or whatever,
> but will waiting longer now before I use new
> PowerBuilder technologies. I believe a
> managment can always find apparently
> good and enough reasons to do whatever
> it wants to do. (Thats also the reason
> why I find it better to play roulette than
> to by shares.)
>
> So sorry for my babel fish powered
> english
>
> Chris Werner
>
> "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not
> > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications
> > but realizes a good way for interapplication
> > communication. Also for smaller multitier
> > functionality customer is not always interested
> > in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons
> > for stopping this technology.
> >

> > --
> > Chris Werner

0
Ben

Dropping Distributed PowerBuilder Support in PowerBuilder 8.0
I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Target for PB8 is Q1 2001. DPB is not being enhanced but the capabilities will still be there. On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote: >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Chuck, I apologize, but I gave you inac...

Distributed PowerBuilder
Hi all. I am trying to figure out the steps, when you build dpb. Can and shall I use PFC both on client and server? If yes, do I have to have one set of pbl:s for the client and one for the server? Can I run the client pbl:s in one instance of powerbuilder, and the server pbl:s in another? Can I share objects on client and server, under development? Does anyone know any document, describing the steps? PowerSofts "Building Distributed Applications" is ok, but it don't cover everything. Regards Stefan Uhlin/ConNova ...

Distributed PowerBuilder
I am in the process of moving an existing PB5 PFC application Distributed PB 5. I have several concerns in regards to the capabilities of this option. We are considering moving the database access along with the business NVOs/Rules from the client machine to an application server. These are some of the concerns we have... 1.In terms of using datastores on the server machine and datawindows on the client machine, how will the communication be facilitated? - should the datawindows on the client app be external? 2. In regards to the datawindow to server communication for r...

Distributed PowerBuilder
I am in the process of moving an existing PB5 PFC application Distributed PB 5. I have several concerns in regards to the capabilities of this option. We are considering moving the database access along with the business NVOs/Rules from the client machine to an application server. These are some of the concerns we have... 1.In terms of using datastores on the server machine and datawindows on the client machine, how will the communication be facilitated? - should the datawindows on the client app be external? 2. In regards to the datawindow to server communication for r...

Distributed powerbuilder
Is it possible to establish a connection between two powerbuilder apps across the internet using TCP/IP and Winsock? I'm not going through a web browser, just straight from one app to another. I have tested this on an application on our LAN, and it works perfectly. But not so when I try it over the internet. Any ideas? The server that the applicaton server resides on is behind a firewall. Could this cause any problems? I'm running on WinNT/98/95 using PB 6.5 Jan Erik Hermansen On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:20:57 +0200, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.di...

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks Bala wrote in message <#AImoYME$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>... >Hi, > >Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - >The Future of Powerbuilder? >Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Except you should not believe everything you read. I remember the mutterings after PB 6.5 and currently Sybase is shipping EAS which PB 7.0 forms part of. Again I was at Sybase TechW...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of .... I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is dead movement. Guess they were wrong there... The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it away until the subscription ...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hello Every one!!, Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent. I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now. could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar techonologies or should i get along with PB?? Please respond to me... Thanks!! Regards, Dhawan. It never hurts to expand your skillset by picking up new languages. PowerBuilder is still going strong, Syb...

Web resources about - distributed powerbuilder - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles