Coexistence of Minor releases (7.01, 7.02, 7.03, ...)

The release of minor point versions means that you can not easily have both
versions of PB on your computer.  This is a problem for any company that has
to maintain versions of product on different point releases of PB.  This is
a problem for everyone - well at least any company that wants to migrate
their software to newer release of PB and then TEST it before going into a
production environment.  This is a HUGE problem for consultants and software
development companies that have multiple releases of PB.

I think the 7.03 release even had a warning that to go back to 7.02 that you
should reinstall PB 7 and then reapply patches.

Which gets to another point:  Anyone on maintenance would have to dig out a
bunch of CDs to reinstall because it always asks for the previous release to
be installed BEFORE the next one is.  PB 8 may be a better example of this.
Of course the best example was that release awhile back that forced you to
install the entire EASTUDIO when you just wanted to upgrade PB.

As far as coexistence goes, it shouldn't be a huge problem... You have
two very viable options:

1.  Set an APP Path in the registry for the various applications
pointing to the appropriate builds of PB for that application.  Just
make sure that none of the PB DLLs are in the system PATH or in WINNT,
WINNT/SYSTEM32, etc.

2.  Deploy the EXEs in the same directory as the DLLs.  An executable
will ALWAYS use DLLs that exist in the same directory before looking
elsewhere on the PATH, etc.

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:20:32 -0500, "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>The release of minor point versions means that you can not easily have both
>versions of PB on your computer.  This is a problem for any company that has
>to maintain versions of product on different point releases of PB.  This is
>a problem for everyone - well at least any company that wants to migrate
>their software to newer release of PB and then TEST it before going into a
>production environment.  This is a HUGE problem for consultants and software
>development companies that have multiple releases of PB.
>
>I think the 7.03 release even had a warning that to go back to 7.02 that you
>should reinstall PB 7 and then reapply patches.
>
>Which gets to another point:  Anyone on maintenance would have to dig out a
>bunch of CDs to reinstall because it always asks for the previous release to
>be installed BEFORE the next one is.  PB 8 may be a better example of this.
>Of course the best example was that release awhile back that forced you to
>install the entire EASTUDIO when you just wanted to upgrade PB.

0
joneil
3/22/2002 8:23:18 PM
I thought that Windows preferred to reuse a DLL that is already loaded in
memory so that no matter how many version of PBFUN010.DLL you try to load
simultaneously only the first gets loaded.

Therefore multiple major PB versions can coexist due to naming (PBVM070 vs.
PBVM080) but only one minor version within each major version will run at
any one time.

/MicK

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> As far as coexistence goes, it shouldn't be a huge problem... You have
> two very viable options:
>
> 1.  Set an APP Path in the registry for the various applications
> pointing to the appropriate builds of PB for that application.  Just
> make sure that none of the PB DLLs are in the system PATH or in WINNT,
> WINNT/SYSTEM32, etc.
>
> 2.  Deploy the EXEs in the same directory as the DLLs.  An executable
> will ALWAYS use DLLs that exist in the same directory before looking
> elsewhere on the PATH, etc.
>
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:20:32 -0500, "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The release of minor point versions means that you can not easily have
both
> >versions of PB on your computer.  This is a problem for any company that
has
> >to maintain versions of product on different point releases of PB.  This
is
> >a problem for everyone - well at least any company that wants to migrate
> >their software to newer release of PB and then TEST it before going into
> >production environment.  This is a HUGE problem for consultants and
software
> >development companies that have multiple releases of PB.
> >
> >I think the 7.03 release even had a warning that to go back to 7.02 that
you
> >should reinstall PB 7 and then reapply patches.
> >
> >Which gets to another point:  Anyone on maintenance would have to dig out
> >bunch of CDs to reinstall because it always asks for the previous release
> >be installed BEFORE the next one is.  PB 8 may be a better example of
this.
> >Of course the best example was that release awhile back that forced you
> >install the entire EASTUDIO when you just wanted to upgrade PB.

0
Michael
3/25/2002 9:28:06 AM
"Michael Kramer" <mkramer@sybase.com.nospam> wrote in message
> I thought that Windows preferred to reuse a DLL that is already loaded in
> memory so that no matter how many version of PBFUN010.DLL you try to load
> simultaneously only the first gets loaded.

  That's true for Windows 9x (95, 98, ME). Versions based on the NT core use
the path as part of the filename, so multiple versions of a DLL can be
loaded under those OSes. (Yes, I have tested this under NT4.)

--
Mike Swaim
swaim@hal-pc.org

0
Mike
3/25/2002 10:24:44 AM
So MS listens when we beg - great!
/MicK

"Mike Swaim" <swaim@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

> "Michael Kramer" <mkramer@sybase.com.nospam> wrote in message
> > I thought that Windows preferred to reuse a DLL that is already loaded
in
> > memory so that no matter how many version of PBFUN010.DLL you try to
load
> > simultaneously only the first gets loaded.
>
>   That's true for Windows 9x (95, 98, ME). Versions based on the NT core
use
> the path as part of the filename, so multiple versions of a DLL can be
> loaded under those OSes. (Yes, I have tested this under NT4.)
>
> --
> Mike Swaim
> swaim@hal-pc.org
> Disclaimer:I sometimes Lie

0
Michael
3/26/2002 1:42:42 PM
Does this work for development in the IDE, or just when running our compiled
programs?

Mike

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> As far as coexistence goes, it shouldn't be a huge problem... You have
> two very viable options:
>
> 1.  Set an APP Path in the registry for the various applications
> pointing to the appropriate builds of PB for that application.  Just
> make sure that none of the PB DLLs are in the system PATH or in WINNT,
> WINNT/SYSTEM32, etc.
>
> 2.  Deploy the EXEs in the same directory as the DLLs.  An executable
> will ALWAYS use DLLs that exist in the same directory before looking
> elsewhere on the PATH, etc.
>
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:20:32 -0500, "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The release of minor point versions means that you can not easily have
both
> >versions of PB on your computer.  This is a problem for any company that
has
> >to maintain versions of product on different point releases of PB.  This
is
> >a problem for everyone - well at least any company that wants to migrate
> >their software to newer release of PB and then TEST it before going into
> >production environment.  This is a HUGE problem for consultants and
software
> >development companies that have multiple releases of PB.
> >
> >I think the 7.03 release even had a warning that to go back to 7.02 that
you
> >should reinstall PB 7 and then reapply patches.
> >
> >Which gets to another point:  Anyone on maintenance would have to dig out
> >bunch of CDs to reinstall because it always asks for the previous release
> >be installed BEFORE the next one is.  PB 8 may be a better example of
this.
> >Of course the best example was that release awhile back that forced you
> >install the entire EASTUDIO when you just wanted to upgrade PB.

0
Mike
3/26/2002 4:16:43 PM
IDE as well, an exe is just an exe as far as windows goes

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:16:43 -0600, "Mike Kruchten"
<mkruchten@fsisolutions.com> wrote:

>Does this work for development in the IDE, or just when running our compiled
>programs?
>
>Mike
>

>"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> As far as coexistence goes, it shouldn't be a huge problem... You have
>> two very viable options:
>>
>> 1.  Set an APP Path in the registry for the various applications
>> pointing to the appropriate builds of PB for that application.  Just
>> make sure that none of the PB DLLs are in the system PATH or in WINNT,
>> WINNT/SYSTEM32, etc.
>>
>> 2.  Deploy the EXEs in the same directory as the DLLs.  An executable
>> will ALWAYS use DLLs that exist in the same directory before looking
>> elsewhere on the PATH, etc.
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:20:32 -0500, "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >The release of minor point versions means that you can not easily have
>both
>> >versions of PB on your computer.  This is a problem for any company that
>has
>> >to maintain versions of product on different point releases of PB.  This
>is
>> >a problem for everyone - well at least any company that wants to migrate
>> >their software to newer release of PB and then TEST it before going into
>> >production environment.  This is a HUGE problem for consultants and
>software
>> >development companies that have multiple releases of PB.
>> >
>> >I think the 7.03 release even had a warning that to go back to 7.02 that
>you
>> >should reinstall PB 7 and then reapply patches.
>> >
>> >Which gets to another point:  Anyone on maintenance would have to dig out
>> >bunch of CDs to reinstall because it always asks for the previous release
>> >be installed BEFORE the next one is.  PB 8 may be a better example of
>this.
>> >Of course the best example was that release awhile back that forced you
>> >install the entire EASTUDIO when you just wanted to upgrade PB.

0
joneil
3/26/2002 7:33:09 PM
I didn't know that NT/W2K actually does load different versions of dlls
based on path.  I knew that it was 'supposed' to, but I didn't trust it.
Good to know!

Anyway, Its the IDE that is the problem....

So, how about renaming the dll's to make things easier - if you can't name
them
pbdts091.dll
pbdts092.dll

then how about at least naming them:

pb90dts.dll
pb10dts.dll (Holy cow!  We are almost in the 2 digit release!)

to make copying the dlls to the minor point release version specific IDE
directory a lot easier (sorting would pull 9, 10, ... major releases
together).

Mike Searer

> IDE as well, an exe is just an exe as far as windows goes
>
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:16:43 -0600, "Mike Kruchten"
> <mkruchten@fsisolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >Does this work for development in the IDE, or just when running our
compiled
> >programs?
> >
> >Mike
> >

> >"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> >> As far as coexistence goes, it shouldn't be a huge problem... You have
> >> two very viable options:
> >>
> >> 1.  Set an APP Path in the registry for the various applications
> >> pointing to the appropriate builds of PB for that application.  Just
> >> make sure that none of the PB DLLs are in the system PATH or in WINNT,
> >> WINNT/SYSTEM32, etc.
> >>
> >> 2.  Deploy the EXEs in the same directory as the DLLs.  An executable
> >> will ALWAYS use DLLs that exist in the same directory before looking
> >> elsewhere on the PATH, etc.

> >both
> >has
This
> >is
> >software

> >you

> >this.

7.02/7.03/7.04
Is there some documentation somewhere that outlines the major differences between these versions? It seems that they're all three still active codebases. We're using 7.0.2.1506 in production, and I want to recommend an upgrade, but I'm not sure which version to target. Paul Horan[TeamSybase] VCI Springfield, MA www.vcisolutions.com Look at the online help (HtmlHelp) included with 7.04. The home page has links to new features in 7.0.4(none), 7.0.3, 7.0.2, etc. Also, from this document on the sybase website (http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1002288,00.ht...

Powerbuilder & 7.0, 7.01 build 7027, 7.02 build xxxx y sigue
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01BF792A.2CDB2550 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Me gustaria saber cual es el mejor metodo para conseguir la ultima = version disponible por Sybase.=20 Hasta ahora aparte de un contrato de mantenimiento que teniamos con = Sybase (UPS) y que actualizaba la version cada 6 meses y debido a la = cantidad de Bug's que han aparecido repentinamente en la 7.0 (despues de = una muy estable 6.5) no teniamos otro metodo para actualizar versiones...

7.02 or 7.03
I am moving this weekend from 7.01 (we have a problem that has crept up that was supposedly fixed in 7.02). My question is this, I think that 7.03 is a beta. How safe is it to go to 7.03 now, or should I just go to 7.02? We have a simple setup - One MTA, One PO, one gwia, one webacc, and around 200 clients. Pere wrote: > I am moving this weekend from 7.01 (we have a problem that has crept up that > was supposedly fixed in 7.02). My question is this, I think that 7.03 is a > beta. How safe is it to go to 7.03 now, or should I just go to 7.02? > > We h...

7 #7
Name: Rovensky Email: K_39-9atmaildotru Product: Firefox Summary: 7 Comments: Suuuupeeer! Fox Draive! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ru; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

7 #7
Name: Inan Email: maung_bandungatyahoodotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Alpha 8 Summary: 7 Comments: this is my first time use this program Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a8) Gecko/2007091216 GranParadiso/3.0a8 ...

*7*7
Name: baggar Email: zememraatyahoodotfr Product: Gran Paradiso Alpha 1 Summary: *7*7 Comments: haloooooooooooooooo Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20061204 GranParadiso/3.0a1 ...

Groupwsie client 7; 7.01; 7.02 not working on OS X Tiger (intel)
Hi All, I've seen a few threads on here about issues running the GW client on Apple Macintosh machines, although these threads were posted over a year ago, I am assuming that there is a client that now works on OS X 10.4! I have tried GW client for Mac 7.00; 7.01; 7.02 but none work. I keep getting a Java exception. My OS X box has Java version 5 installed. And I've tried the downloads from this link http://download.novell.com/protected/Summary.jsp?buildid=lVxeIgQeHrM~ but no joy, same java exception error. Anyone got any tips, suggestions? TIA Daniel Da...

Upgrade from 7.01 to 7.03
We are currently running SQLAnywhere 7.01. I have downloaded the latest patch and EBF. We have about 200 clients. Can I safely upgrade the Server w/o upgrading the clients? Then as time permits I will upgrade each of the clients. Or do I need to upgrade the Server and all the clients at one time? Or should I keep the version we are running and not upgrade to 7.03? Thanks in advance. You can mix client & server versions, as long as they are both the client and server are version 6.0 or higher. So yes, you can upgrade your server now and your clients later. You don't nee...

7.01 weirdness 7.01
For starters--I don't know the names so for the moment: The "account" pane is the left-had, vertical pane that has all the "accounts" and their "folders" listed, Mine shows stuff like size, number of messages, and number of unread messages per "folder". Across the rest of the top, under the tool bars and such is the "folder index" for what-ever folder I am looking at with the most recent (in my case--I don't use "threading") ten or so message Subject: lines and such unread in bold. Below that is the gray &qu...

#EBF1 -EAServer 3.6.1 C1/PowerBuilder 7.0.3 C5 Release 7.0.3 02 Mar 2001 EBF/Patch
why is the #EBF1 not placed right - It is placed Under Powerbuilder EBFs/Downloads. Platform: Windows EAServer 3.6.1 C1/PowerBuilder 7.0.3 C5 Release 7.0.3 02 Mar 2001 EBF/Patch PowerBuilder 7.0.3 C5 Localized Files 7.0.3 16 Feb 2001 EBF/Patch Sybase PowerBuilder and Sybase PowerBuilder Enterprise 7.0.3 C5 7.0.3 09 Feb 2001 EBF/Patch PowerBuilder Enterprise 7.0.3 Maintenance Release 7.0.3 08 Dec 2000 EBF/Patch Sybase PowerBuilder Enterprise - PowerBuilder Enterprise 7.0.2 C4 Release 7.0.2 22 Nov 2000 EBF/Patch PowerBuilder DeskTop 7.0.2 (EBF) C3 Rele...

update 7.01->7.03 Server
when i Update on the server from 7.01 to 7.03, can then the client stay on 7.01 ? Beat -- bbrunner ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Yes, you can. Higher backend with a lower client works. -- dwelbergen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dwelbergen's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=50916 View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=381037 On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:36:02 +0000, bbrunner wrote: > when i Update on the server from 7.01 to 7.0...

GW 7.01 to 7.02 HP1 question
We are on GW 7.01. Can I upgrade directly to 7.02 HP1 by installing the patch, or do I need to upgrade to 7.02 first ? Exactly what is the severity of this vulnerability? It appears to be very vague in description. Does being behind a firewall offer any protection? >>> Earl<Earl@work.com> 5/31/2007 2:21:11 PM >>> >We are on GW 7.01. > >Can I upgrade directly to 7.02 HP1 by installing the patch, or do I need >to upgrade to 7.02 first ? Earl: >Can I upgrade directly to 7.02 HP1 by installing the patch, or do I need=20 >to upg...

7.02 Client with 7.01 back system
Greetings, I am about to roll out new computers to our company. Right now, our GW system is 7.01 (all clients, POA, GWIA, MTA, etc.). Is it possible for me to roll out the 7.02 client on our new computers, then when all the new computers are out, upgrade the POA, MTA, etc. to 7.02? Pere wrote: > Greetings, > > I am about to roll out new computers to our company. Right now, our GW > system is 7.01 (all clients, POA, GWIA, MTA, etc.). Is it possible for me > to roll out the 7.02 client on our new computers, then when all the new > computers are out...

7.03 GWIA and 7.01 P.O.
Can I use 7.03 GWIA and 7.01 everything else? (PO, MTA, WEB) -- kdavidso ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:26:02 +0000, kdavidso wrote: > Can I use 7.03 GWIA and 7.01 everything else? (PO, MTA, WEB) Perhaps. If you have people connecting to GWIA via a POP/IMAP client, though, the answer is no because at that point GWIA is acting as a client. Otherwise it should work though the official line is that it's not recommended. -- Joe Marton Novell Support Forum SysOp Novell does not officially mon...

Web resources about - Coexistence of Minor releases (7.01, 7.02, 7.03, ...) - sybase.powerbuilder.futures

Peaceful coexistence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Peaceful coexistence was a theory developed and applied by the Soviet Union at various points during the Cold War in the context of its ostensibly ...

AMD's new 64-bit ARM board points way to x86 coexistence
Advanced Micro Devices is moving closer to a motherboard design that will accept both x86 and ARM chips with the shipment of its first 64-bit ...

Five Principles of Peaceful Coexistence not outdated: Chinese president
People's Daily Online Five Principles of Peaceful Coexistence not outdated: Chinese president People's Daily Online BEIJING, June 28 Chinese ...

Apple execs discuss 30 years of the Mac, the Surface-style touchscreen approach, and the coexistence ...
Marking the 30th anniversary since Apple gave us the Mac, Macworld spoke with Apple’s Phil Schiller, Craig Federighi, and Bud Tribble to discuss ...

Today’s Best Apps: Upwords, Coexistence, Portray And More
The App Store takes delivery of hundreds of new apps per day. The overwhelming scene makes it possible to easily overlook an exciting game, valuable ...

Pope Francis: Albania's Christian-Muslim coexistence an 'inspiring example'
Arab News, an English-language daily, is a leading source of commentaries and news on Saudi Arabia, sports, business, Islam, lifestyle and more. ...

Replace Intel? Nah. Tilera chips aimed at peaceful coexistence
The new Tile-IQ effort is designed to use the company's aggressively multicore processors to try to unburden x86 servers bogged down by networking ...

AMD's 64-bit ARM board points toward x86 coexistence
Advanced Micro Devices is moving closer to a motherboard design that will accept both x86 and ARM chips with the shipment of its first 64-bit ...

In Kenya, religious coexistence feels pressure of stronger Muslim identity
Kenyan Christians have long dominated political and social institutions. But an increasingly devout Muslim population is pushing for a greater ...

China Mobile to promote coexistence of FDD/TDD-LTE, says CEO
While China Mobile is establishing TD-LTE (Time Division-Long Term Evolution) trial networks around China, the company will still promote the ...