Using Global Function in Datawindow Computed field - argument problem

Hi.

There is a global function returns exchange rate.
The argument is currency_code and exchange_rate_date.

I need to use this global function in datawindow computed field, using
Datawindow's retrieval argument as an global function argument
(exchange_rate_date).

The problem is, in the global function, the argument exchange_rate_date is
'null'.
The currency code (database field) is ok, and when i tested it using
invoice_date (database field, too) , it worked.
In datawindow, the retrieval argument exchange_rate_date is not null.

What's wrong with it?
Please, somebody help me.

Soyong.

0
soyoung

Try casting the retrieval argument as a column in the result set.  Then use
the alias in the global call.

, :retrieval_arg myArg

Then call gf_exchange_rate( myArg ), instead of
f_exchange_rate( :retrieval_arg ) in the computed field.

Paul Horan
VCI
Springfield, MA

soyoung <parksy@mail.disc.co.kr> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> There is a global function returns exchange rate.
> The argument is currency_code and exchange_rate_date.
>
> I need to use this global function in datawindow computed field, using
> Datawindow's retrieval argument as an global function argument
> (exchange_rate_date).
>
> The problem is, in the global function, the argument exchange_rate_date is
> 'null'.
> The currency code (database field) is ok, and when i tested it using
> invoice_date (database field, too) , it worked.
> In datawindow, the retrieval argument exchange_rate_date is not null.
>
> What's wrong with it?
> Please, somebody help me.
>
> Soyong.

0
Paul
4/24/1999 2:52:40 PM
Hi.

Thank you for your answer.
But there are some points I cannot understand.

for 'the result set', you mean external datawindow? I'm not using external
datawindow.
or can I add result set for the normal datawindow? then, where?

and about 'casting' I don't know what it means.
Does it mean that I have to declare alias for the retrieval argument? then,
where?

I'm longing for your answer.

Soyoung.

Paul Horan ��(��) �޽������� �ۼ��Ͽ����ϴ�...
>Try casting the retrieval argument as a column in the result set.  Then use
>the alias in the global call.
>
>, :retrieval_arg myArg
>
>Then call gf_exchange_rate( myArg ), instead of
>f_exchange_rate( :retrieval_arg ) in the computed field.
>
>Paul Horan
>VCI
>Springfield, MA
>
>soyoung <parksy@mail.disc.co.kr> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>>
>> There is a global function returns exchange rate.
>> The argument is currency_code and exchange_rate_date.
>>
>> I need to use this global function in datawindow computed field, using
>> Datawindow's retrieval argument as an global function argument
>> (exchange_rate_date).
>>
>> The problem is, in the global function, the argument exchange_rate_date
is
>> 'null'.
>> The currency code (database field) is ok, and when i tested it using
>> invoice_date (database field, too) , it worked.
>> In datawindow, the retrieval argument exchange_rate_date is not null.
>>
>> What's wrong with it?
>> Please, somebody help me.
>>
>> Soyong.

0
soyoung
4/25/1999 11:51:45 PM
You mean computed column !!

It works.

I really appreciate you !.

Regards.
Soyoung.

0
soyoung

Using user defined function in computed field in datawindow
I want to use my defined function in computed field in datawindow but the 'expression is not valid' message show after I clicked OK. How can I do this? Thanks Thaworn R. You can use global functions in the expressions of computed fields. You can't use functions that are defined in a user-object... Paul Horan VCI Springfield, MA thawornr <defaultuser@domain.com> wrote in message news:37868B05.49832C24@domain.com... > I want to use my defined function in computed field in datawindow > but the 'expression is not valid' message show afte...

how do I use a computed field as a parameter to the 'small' function in the datawindow painter
--____ZSORKMBIUCWMAICKARJT____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am using pb7 on windows 2000, in the datawindow painter. I am trying to = use the "small" function to get the data out of a specific column. I need = to get this data for different rows, that is why I need to use a variable. = code in modify expression box =3D small( run_seconds ,run_seconds , = variable for group 2 ) variable is a computed field that does a row count = for a group. I don't get any errors, but the result is a blank. I had al...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Datawindow Print Problem with computed fields
Here is a problem Iam facing I have 2 datawindow controls : dw_1 and dw_2 dw_1 and dw_2 are shared as --> dw_1.sharedata(dw_2) I retrieve dw_1 ( 3 rows are retrieved), I insert two more rows into DW_1 and do set items on a column whose edit style is a drop down datawindow . Everything looks fine when I see it on screen, but when I print it ,the 4th and 5th rows do not not show up Is it because originally only 3 rows are retrieved from the Database? How do I get around this problem ? Another problem is : I Have a computed field( avail) in dw_1. It has a conditional expr...

Datawindow Computed Field Weird Math Problem
I created an external tabular datawindow with a dummy column. I added a computed field with the expression '1265.87 - 632.94'. The result of this should be 632.93. Instead of this the computed field has as result 632.929999999998. I also faced the same behavior with the following expressions: 1176.37 - 588.19 1360.37 - 680.19 195.17 - 97.59 1179.37 - 585.69 I tried the above with the same results on three different PC, in PowerBuilder versions 6.5.1, 10.2.1, even in PowerBuilder 12 beta. Thanks in advance for any response "Konaspr" <konaspr@gmail.com>...

GPF While Using Global Functions in Computed Fields
Dear Everybody: I always experience GPF while using global functions in compted fields (datawindow level), especially when pulling the scroll bar. Is this a bug of PowerBuilder ? I am using: 1. PowerBuilder 5.0 Enterprise Version. 2.Win 95. 3.SQL Anywhere. Sincerely, Irving I have used global functions in computes with no GPF problems in 5.0.3 I did have problems using 5.0 with the same computes but I believe that was caused by a memory leak using the Find method of a datawindow. Irving Zhu <zyzhu@usa.net> wrote in article <01bd0e09$d764e490$0100...

Hi, freezing datawindow when computed fields r used
Has anyone had this problem? If I use computed fields on a datawindow, it often happens (most of the time actually) that the datawindowpainter seems to freeze! It happens when I wanne edit any property of that field, or even just when I select it, sometimes I have to wait for a minute until the painter is available again! Most of the time, it takes about 20 seconds.... What can be the problem here? Maybe because I use more than one computed field on the datawindow??? I dunno, please help, it's really annoying! Thanks ICE what is the expression in the computed field ? ...

I will print two datawindow in one page,and I use child datawindow.One master datawindow (dw_master)with two child datawindow(dc1 and dc2)
dw_master("dw_dc1",dc1) dw_master("dw_dc2",dc2) dc1 has a argument (arg1) dc2 has a argument (arg2) Arg1 and Arg2 are send by one column of dw_master. When I use retrieve() function,the datawindow can display normal,but when I print preview or use Zoom or printsetup() ,the childdatawindow dc2 can't display but dc1 normal! Why?? Thanks for your help! I'm having trouble understanding your question. Is this a composite or nested datawindow? On Mon, 6 May 2002 22:49:23 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow spark <fenfei79@hot...

Problem with importstring datawindow function in PowerBuilder 9.0.1
Hi, I have some problem when I try to use the importstring function of a datawindow and the data imported have special characters like "=d1" or "=e1,=e9,=ed,=f3,=fa". Exist an EBF to solve this prolem? I'm using PowerBuilder 9.0.1 build 6533 Thanks! Can you elaborate on the problem faced? Whats the import type used for importstring? whats the return value of the function call? Is the input string comma separate or tab separated ? Make sure For TXT and CSV files, the format of the string is the same as if the data came from an ASCII file, and each line ...

Datawindow refresh problem in a nested datawindow
I have a nested report with 5 datawindows. There second and fourth datawindows are being set by RowsCopy function after retrieving the main datawindow. The others are retrieved. THe problem here is that when printing/displaying the datawindow there are lot of blank pages. Pl. advise THanks ramesh.subramanian@gs.com ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

datawindow and Datawindow.NET Function Comparison
Hi All! What is the equivalent function in datawindow.net for the dw_1.GetSelectedRow() Is there any listings or comparison available for datawindow.net function and datawindow? Thanks.in advance S. Viswanathan Look to DataWindowControl.FindNextSelected(RowNumber) method. Regards, Mikhail Klygin. Viswanathan S �����: > Hi All! > > What is the equivalent function in datawindow.net for the > dw_1.GetSelectedRow() > > Is there any listings or comparison available for datawindow.net function > and datawindow? > > Thanks.in advanc...

Problems with External Datawindows in Datawindow .Net
Has anyone used an external datawindow within a datastore in a .Net application? We are converting a piece of functionality from PowerBuilder to C# .Net and the routine uses an external datawindow. Since it is an external I didnt do SetTransObject before doing the InsertRow. I simply tried inserting a row into the datastore and a DatawindowNotCreatedException was thrown. Has anyone run into something similar? We are widely using external datawindow. Your error is not concerned with external datawindow. It is concerned with DataWindowControl bad behaviour (it is documented,...

Datawindow refresh problem in a nested datawindow
I have a nested report with 5 datawindows. There second and fourth datawindows are being set by RowsCopy function after retrieving the main datawindow. The others are retrieved. THe problem here is that when printing/displaying the datawindow there are lot of blank pages. Pl. advise THanks ramesh.subramanian@gs.com ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp ...

datawindow expressions using datacolumns from other datawindows
Is there a possibility to access datacolumns from other datawindows from a datawindow expression. In fact, I have two datawindows which have a master/detail-relation. For example I want to set a columns visible or protect property in the detail dw depending on the datavalue of a column in the master dw. Thanks Martin Martin, There is no direct way. You could, however, write a couple global functions... one to set a value, one to get a value (then call these from a computed field in the DW)... but you're probably better off doing this in a script. HTH, Greg -- ...

Web resources about - Using Global Function in Datawindow Computed field - argument problem - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo