Use DataWindow Object Properties in DataWindow Object Expression

Hi all,
    Can I make use of the properties of objects in the expression?
For example, can I set an expression in COLUMN_A's color property which
reference the color property of COLUMN_B. I don't know how to access
properties in expressions. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Alex
0
Alex
10/21/1998 3:25:51 AM
📁 sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow
📃 28057 articles.
⭐ 5 followers.

💬 6 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1765 Views

You can use the Describe() function.
Alex wrote in message <362D543F.F34B5F33@hotmail.com>...
>Hi all,
>    Can I make use of the properties of objects in the expression?
>For example, can I set an expression in COLUMN_A's color property which
>reference the color property of COLUMN_B. I don't know how to access
>properties in expressions. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
>
>Alex

0
Simon
10/21/1998 8:16:58 AM
Thanks. But when I use Describe(), it only give me the original value but
not the new value.
And I want to know if I can find out columns' properties on individual
rows... What I
want to do is find out the Y & Height of columns which with Autosize Height
and Slide
Directly Above.
Alex
Simon Caldwell wrote:
> You can use the Describe() function.
>
> Alex wrote in message <362D543F.F34B5F33@hotmail.com>...
> >Hi all,
> >    Can I make use of the properties of objects in the expression?
> >For example, can I set an expression in COLUMN_A's color property which
> >reference the color property of COLUMN_B. I don't know how to access
> >properties in expressions. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
> >
> >Alex

0
Alex
10/22/1998 3:30:10 AM
For this, you need to use Describe( Evaluate('expression'), row)
It's tricky, but documented pretty well in the Help.
Paul Horan
VCI
Springfield, MA
Alex wrote in message <362EA6C1.8F3EC37@hotmail.com>...
>Thanks. But when I use Describe(), it only give me the original value but
>not the new value.
>And I want to know if I can find out columns' properties on individual
>rows... What I
>want to do is find out the Y & Height of columns which with Autosize Height
>and Slide
>Directly Above.
>
>Alex
>
>Simon Caldwell wrote:
>
>> You can use the Describe() function.
>>
>> Alex wrote in message <362D543F.F34B5F33@hotmail.com>...
>> >Hi all,
>> >    Can I make use of the properties of objects in the expression?
>> >For example, can I set an expression in COLUMN_A's color property which
>> >reference the color property of COLUMN_B. I don't know how to access
>> >properties in expressions. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
>> >
>> >Alex

0
Paul
10/22/1998 3:02:36 PM
Thanks. But I still can't get what I want. Since the
height AND y properties does not controlled by expressions.
I'm using Autosize Height AND Slide Direct Above for that
column. So... how can I get these properties' value? Could
you tell me more detail?
Thanks a lot!
Alex
Paul A. Horan wrote:
> For this, you need to use Describe( Evaluate('expression'), row)
>
> It's tricky, but documented pretty well in the Help.
>
> Paul Horan
> VCI
> Springfield, MA
>
> Alex wrote in message <362EA6C1.8F3EC37@hotmail.com>...
> >Thanks. But when I use Describe(), it only give me the original value but
> >not the new value.
> >And I want to know if I can find out columns' properties on individual
> >rows... What I
> >want to do is find out the Y & Height of columns which with Autosize Height
> >and Slide
> >Directly Above.
> >
> >Alex
> >
> >Simon Caldwell wrote:
> >
> >> You can use the Describe() function.

0
Alex
10/23/1998 4:19:06 AM
Ah, I see what you're asking!  Unfortunately, I don't think you can get that
information.  It's been asked here many times before, but I've never seen a
solution.
If you find one, then please post it here as many of us would love to know
it!
Simon
Alex wrote in message <363003B9.A37C7B14@hotmail.com>...
>Thanks. But I still can't get what I want. Since the
>height AND y properties does not controlled by expressions.
>I'm using Autosize Height AND Slide Direct Above for that
>column. So... how can I get these properties' value? Could
>you tell me more detail?
>
>Thanks a lot!
>
>Alex
>
>Paul A. Horan wrote:
>
>> For this, you need to use Describe( Evaluate('expression'), row)
>>
>> It's tricky, but documented pretty well in the Help.
>>
>> Paul Horan
>> VCI
>> Springfield, MA
>>
>> Alex wrote in message <362EA6C1.8F3EC37@hotmail.com>...
>> >Thanks. But when I use Describe(), it only give me the original value
but
>> >not the new value.
>> >And I want to know if I can find out columns' properties on individual
>> >rows... What I
>> >want to do is find out the Y & Height of columns which with Autosize
Height
>> >and Slide
>> >Directly Above.
>> >
>> >Alex

0
Simon
The only way I found until now to get the height of a column with the
autosize height property set:
- Create a datastore with one column in the detail band that is exactly the
same as the column in your report for which you want to determine the
height. Put the autosize height property on.
- For the detail band set the autosize height property.
Don't forget to "collapse" the detail band.
- Put the appropriate data in the column
The property datawindow.verticalscrollmaximum now contains the height of
your column. You may probably use the RowHeight datawindow painter function
also.
HTH,
Michael Homeijer
Technical Co-Ordinator at Syfact International
More tips like this one on my website: home.wxs.nl/~homeijer
Simon Caldwell wrote in message ...
>Ah, I see what you're asking!  Unfortunately, I don't think you can get
that
>information.  It's been asked here many times before, but I've never seen a
>solution.
>If you find one, then please post it here as many of us would love to know
>it!
>
>Simon
>
>Alex wrote in message <363003B9.A37C7B14@hotmail.com>...
>>Thanks. But I still can't get what I want. Since the
>>height AND y properties does not controlled by expressions.
>>I'm using Autosize Height AND Slide Direct Above for that
>>column. So... how can I get these properties' value? Could
>>you tell me more detail?
>>
>>Thanks a lot!
>>
>>Alex

0