Select where column IN ('DC123', 'WQ242', 'GT654', 'EL982', ......);

Which will be faster given that the list of IDs can be quite
large (hundreds or thousands of IDs)?

For count = 1 to rows
	ls_ID = dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
	dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id)//RetrieveStart = 2
Next

OR

Or modifying the select statement...

select column1, column2.....where ID IN ('DC123', 'WQ242',
'GT654', 'EL982', ......);

Ido
0
Ido

you can also used an argument of the type string array with your datawindow
:

string ls_id[]

For count = 1 to rows
    ls_id[count] = dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
Next

dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id) // only one retrieve

=> select column1, column2.....where ID IN (:args);

fastest is certainly to use a subquery in your datawindow :

select column1, column2.....where ID IN (select ID from tableXX where ...);

<Ido> a �crit dans le message de news:
450feba3.7114.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Which will be faster given that the list of IDs can be quite
> large (hundreds or thousands of IDs)?
>
> For count = 1 to rows
> ls_ID = dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
> dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id)//RetrieveStart = 2
> Next
>
> OR
>
> Or modifying the select statement...
>
> select column1, column2.....where ID IN ('DC123', 'WQ242',
> 'GT654', 'EL982', ......);
>
> Ido

0
Philippe
9/19/2006 2:56:35 PM
> Which will be faster given that the list of IDs can be
> quite large (hundreds or thousands of IDs)?
>
> For count = 1 to rows
>     ls_ID = dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
>     dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id)//RetrieveStart = 2
> Next
>
> OR
>
> Or modifying the select statement...
>
> select column1, column2.....where ID IN ('DC123', 'WQ242',
> 'GT654', 'EL982', ......);
>
> Ido

You could have problems other than the speed of execution if
you use the "...IN ('DC123', 'WQ..." approach.  It may
depend on the version of sybase, but there was (and may
still be) a limit of 255 items in the "IN" list.  Also, if
you can get it to run, it may use a great deal of the cache
space causing other queries to be removed from the cache and
degrading the overall performance of your DB.

If you have the chance in your process, could you write
these values out to a temporary table and then use a select
tied to that temporary table?

John
0
JKeese
9/19/2006 3:08:10 PM
I was just reading a solution to a problem which sounds similar to the
question you pose.  Try taking a look at:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:110612348061
and see if it gives you any ideas.  Obviously - the above link is quite
Oracle specific - and you don't mention which RDBMS you are using - but even
if you are not using Oracle - it is possible the above link may give you an
alternate direction to consider.
Tim.

<Ido> wrote in message news:450feba3.7114.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Which will be faster given that the list of IDs can be quite
> large (hundreds or thousands of IDs)?
>
> For count = 1 to rows
> ls_ID = dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
> dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id)//RetrieveStart = 2
> Next
>
> OR
>
> Or modifying the select statement...
>
> select column1, column2.....where ID IN ('DC123', 'WQ242',
> 'GT654', 'EL982', ......);
>
> Ido

0
Timothy
9/19/2006 11:55:51 PM
I'm trying to use the array, but when I pass it as a
retrieve argument which keyword should I use?  'In',
'exists', '=3d any', 'is'?  The where clause either does not
let me use those keywords or if it does the retrieve fails.

Ido

> you can also used an argument of the type string array
> with your datawindow  :
>
> string ls_id[]
>
> For count =3d 1 to rows
>     ls_id[count] =3d dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
> Next
>
> dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id) // only one retrieve
>
> =3d> select column1, column2.....where ID IN (:args);
>
> fastest is certainly to use a subquery in your datawindow
> :
>
> select column1, column2.....where ID IN (select ID from
> tableXX where ...);
>

> <Ido> a =e9crit dans le message de news:
> 450feba3.7114.1681692777@sybase.com...
> > Which will be faster given that the list of IDs can be
> > quite large (hundreds or thousands of IDs)?
> >
> > For count =3d 1 to rows
> > ls_ID =3d dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
> > dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id)//RetrieveStart =3d 2
> > Next
> >
> > OR
> >
> > Or modifying the select statement...
> >
> > select column1, column2.....where ID IN ('DC123',
> > 'WQ242', 'GT654', 'EL982', ......);
> >
> > Ido

0
Ido
9/20/2006 1:35:20 PM
Use "IN" like this:  column IN ( :arrayarg )

Thanks,

Tom Mackin
Delaware Investments

Ido wrote:
> I'm trying to use the array, but when I pass it as a
> retrieve argument which keyword should I use?  'In',
> 'exists', '= any', 'is'?  The where clause either does not
> let me use those keywords or if it does the retrieve fails.
>
> Ido
>

>>you can also used an argument of the type string array
>>with your datawindow  :
>>
>>string ls_id[]
>>
>>For count = 1 to rows
>>    ls_id[count] = dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
>>Next
>>
>>dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id) // only one retrieve
>>
>>=> select column1, column2.....where ID IN (:args);
>>
>>fastest is certainly to use a subquery in your datawindow
>>:
>>
>>select column1, column2.....where ID IN (select ID from
>>tableXX where ...);
>>

>><Ido> a �crit dans le message de news:
>>450feba3.7114.1681692777@sybase.com...
>>
>>>Which will be faster given that the list of IDs can be
>>>quite large (hundreds or thousands of IDs)?
>>>
>>>For count = 1 to rows
>>>ls_ID = dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
>>>dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id)//RetrieveStart = 2
>>>Next
>>>
>>>OR
>>>
>>>Or modifying the select statement...
>>>
>>>select column1, column2.....where ID IN ('DC123',
>>>'WQ242', 'GT654', 'EL982', ......);
>>>
>>>Ido

0
Tom
9/20/2006 1:46:41 PM
Since I need to pass several hundred or thousand items, 'IN'
will not work for this.  Instead, I am going to create a
temporary table.  The whole reason (original example
follows) for this is that I have a large list of items in a
datawindow which I am using in a loop to retrieve a second
datawindow.  When the amount of rows in the first dw is
large this is taking too long.  I guess my question is now
that I can get all the items from the first dw into a
temporary table, how do I retrieve the second dw based on
all the items in the temporary table in the most efficient
way?

>For count =3d 1 to rows
>ls_ID =3d dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
>dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id)//RetrieveStart =3d 2
>Next

Thank-you,
Ido

> Use "IN" like this:  column IN ( :arrayarg )
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Mackin
> Delaware Investments
>

> Ido wrote:
> > I'm trying to use the array, but when I pass it as a
> > retrieve argument which keyword should I use?  'In',
> > 'exists', '=3d any', 'is'?  The where clause either does
> > not let me use those keywords or if it does the retrieve
> > fails.
> > Ido
> >

> >>you can also used an argument of the type string array
> >>with your datawindow  :
> >>
> >>string ls_id[]
> >>
> >>For count =3d 1 to rows
> >>    ls_id[count] =3d dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
> >>Next
> >>
> >>dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id) // only one retrieve
> >>
> >>=3d> select column1, column2.....where ID IN (:args);
> >>
> >>fastest is certainly to use a subquery in your
> datawindow >>:
> >>
> >>select column1, column2.....where ID IN (select ID from
> >>tableXX where ...);
> >>

> >><Ido> a =e9crit dans le message de news:
> >>450feba3.7114.1681692777@sybase.com...

0
Ido
9/20/2006 5:45:23 PM
Can this all be done in a stored procedure?  If so, that may be the best
bet.

Thanks,

Tom Mackin
Delaware Investments

Ido wrote:
> Since I need to pass several hundred or thousand items, 'IN'
> will not work for this.  Instead, I am going to create a
> temporary table.  The whole reason (original example
> follows) for this is that I have a large list of items in a
> datawindow which I am using in a loop to retrieve a second
> datawindow.  When the amount of rows in the first dw is
> large this is taking too long.  I guess my question is now
> that I can get all the items from the first dw into a
> temporary table, how do I retrieve the second dw based on
> all the items in the temporary table in the most efficient
> way?
>

>>For count = 1 to rows
>>ls_ID = dw_1.GetItemString(count, "id")
>>dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id)//RetrieveStart = 2
>>Next
>

> Thank-you,
> Ido
>

>>Use "IN" like this:  column IN ( :arrayarg )
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Tom Mackin
>>Delaware Investments
>>

>>Ido wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to use the array, but when I pass it as a
>>>retrieve argument which keyword should I use?  'In',
>>>'exists', '= any', 'is'?  The where clause either does
>>>not let me use those keywords or if it does the retrieve
>>>fails.
>>>Ido

0
Tom
9/20/2006 6:50:31 PM
"Tom Mackin" <TEMackin_SPAM_ME_NOT@_AT_Delinvest_DOT_.com> wrote in message
> Can this all be done in a stored procedure?  If so, that may be the best
> bet.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Mackin
> Delaware Investments

You can't pass an array to a stored procedure...  I think you can in Oracle,
but Oracle sucks.

The best approach is the temp table - then use a JOIN from the temp table in
the datawindow query.

Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

0
Paul
9/20/2006 8:39:36 PM
Don't hurt Larry Ellison's feelings Paul.  I'm sure somewhere out in
California on a yacht bigger than my office building looking towards a
mansion that is bigger than our city's convention center a small tear
is running down the cheek of Larry's face into his Don Johnson Miami
Vice beard thanks to you.

Doug Porter
DailyAccess Corporation

"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <phoran AT sybase DOT com> wrote in message
> "Tom Mackin" <TEMackin_SPAM_ME_NOT@_AT_Delinvest_DOT_.com> wrote in
message
> > Can this all be done in a stored procedure?  If so, that may be
the best
> > bet.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tom Mackin
> > Delaware Investments
> >

> You can't pass an array to a stored procedure...  I think you can in
Oracle,
> but Oracle sucks.
>
> The best approach is the temp table - then use a JOIN from the temp
table in
> the datawindow query.
>
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

0
Doug
9/20/2006 9:26:08 PM
Yeah - and Oracle =still= sucks.

"Doug Porter" <doug_porterATdailyaccessDOTnospamDOTcom> wrote in message
> Don't hurt Larry Ellison's feelings Paul.  I'm sure somewhere out in
> California on a yacht bigger than my office building looking towards a
> mansion that is bigger than our city's convention center a small tear
> is running down the cheek of Larry's face into his Don Johnson Miami
> Vice beard thanks to you.
>
> Doug Porter
> DailyAccess Corporation
>
> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <phoran AT sybase DOT com> wrote in message
>> "Tom Mackin" <TEMackin_SPAM_ME_NOT@_AT_Delinvest_DOT_.com> wrote in
> message
>> > Can this all be done in a stored procedure?  If so, that may be
> the best
>> > bet.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Tom Mackin
>> > Delaware Investments
>> >

>> You can't pass an array to a stored procedure...  I think you can in
> Oracle,
>> but Oracle sucks.
>>
>> The best approach is the temp table - then use a JOIN from the temp
> table in
>> the datawindow query.
>>
>> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

0
Stephanie
9/21/2006 12:06:14 PM
Why do you folks keep spelling "rocks" wrong? <g>

"Stephanie Young" <stephanie.youngN_O_S_P_A_M@standardregisterD_0_Tcom>
wrote in message news:45128036$1@forums-1-dub...
> Yeah - and Oracle =still= sucks.
>
> "Doug Porter" <doug_porterATdailyaccessDOTnospamDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Don't hurt Larry Ellison's feelings Paul.  I'm sure somewhere out in
>> California on a yacht bigger than my office building looking towards a
>> mansion that is bigger than our city's convention center a small tear
>> is running down the cheek of Larry's face into his Don Johnson Miami
>> Vice beard thanks to you.
>>
>> Doug Porter
>> DailyAccess Corporation
>>
>> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <phoran AT sybase DOT com> wrote in message
>>> "Tom Mackin" <TEMackin_SPAM_ME_NOT@_AT_Delinvest_DOT_.com> wrote in
>> message
>> the best

>>> You can't pass an array to a stored procedure...  I think you can in
>> Oracle,
>>> but Oracle sucks.
>>>
>>> The best approach is the temp table - then use a JOIN from the temp
>> table in
>>> the datawindow query.
>>>
>>> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

0
Bruce
9/21/2006 3:26:06 PM
I should have clarified:

How is the list of IDs generated?  If that can be automated, then use
the stored procedure.  From the OP it looks like it was retrieved from a
  datawindow...

<snip>
----------------^^^^---------------------------
	dw_2.Retrieve(ls_id)//RetrieveStart = 2
Next
</snip>

Thanks,

Tom Mackin
Delaware Investments

Paul Horan[TeamSybase] wrote:
> "Tom Mackin" <TEMackin_SPAM_ME_NOT@_AT_Delinvest_DOT_.com> wrote in message
>
>>Can this all be done in a stored procedure?  If so, that may be the best
>>bet.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Tom Mackin
>>Delaware Investments
>>

> You can't pass an array to a stored procedure...  I think you can in Oracle,
> but Oracle sucks.
>
> The best approach is the temp table - then use a JOIN from the temp table in
> the datawindow query.
>
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

0
Tom
9/21/2006 3:28:09 PM
It wouldn't have occurred to me to say that using Oracle is like trying to
store data in rocks, but hey, you're the author...

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:4512aebd$1@forums-2-dub...

> Why do you folks keep spelling "rocks" wrong? <g>
>
> "Stephanie Young" <stephanie.youngN_O_S_P_A_M@standardregisterD_0_Tcom>
> wrote in message news:45128036$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Yeah - and Oracle =still= sucks.
>>
>> "Doug Porter" <doug_porterATdailyaccessDOTnospamDOTcom> wrote in message
>>> Don't hurt Larry Ellison's feelings Paul.  I'm sure somewhere out in
>>> California on a yacht bigger than my office building looking towards a
>>> mansion that is bigger than our city's convention center a small tear
>>> is running down the cheek of Larry's face into his Don Johnson Miami
>>> Vice beard thanks to you.
>>>
>>> Doug Porter
>>> DailyAccess Corporation
>>>
>>> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <phoran AT sybase DOT com> wrote in message
>>> message
>>> the best

>>> Oracle,

>>> table in

0
Stephanie

''''''''''''''''''''

'''''

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

'''

'IN' Clause or 'OR'
Hello, [1]: select * from TABLEA where COL1 IN('value1','value2''valu3'....) [2]:select * from TABLEA where COL1 = 'value1' OR COL1= 'value2' OR COL1='valu3'. TABLEA is a huge table and it has non-clustered index on COL1. Among the above 2 queries, which query will give me the better performance or fast response and WHY? What is the difference between 'IN' and 'OR' clauses as for as Sybase Optimization is concerned. Which is the better one to be used on huge tables. Thanks. Mac An IN list is treated ...

'or' or 'union'

'b'..'a'

EXEC sp_msforeachtable 'sp_spaceused ''?'''
What does the following SQL code mean?  EXEC sp_msforeachtable 'sp_spaceused ''?'''Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". JohanNL:sp_msforeachtable This is the name of the SP that resides in the master database.  This SP executes one or more commands for a table. JohanNL:sp_spaceused This is the command that you want to run for each of the tables residing in your current database.  As you might have understood so far, that this is again a...

'To', 'CC', & 'BCC'
Name: Dick Tracy Email: philipdottracyatoptusnetdotcomdotau Product: Thunderbird Summary: 'To', 'CC', & 'BCC' Comments: I have just started using Thunderbird and while I find it quite excellent- I suggest having a button to add addressees to 'BCC' as well. Currently each 'BCC' addressee has to be selected manually. I send e-mail to quite a number of people at a time and I do not wish to readily spread others addresses easily. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0....

'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
I'm attempting to invoke with parameters:  Dim thing2 As New mydelsubPBStep(AddressOf pbStep) Me.Invoke(thing2, "setMax", dt.Rows.Count)      <---- this is where the error occurs   the delegate looks like this: Private Delegate Sub mydelsubPBStep(ByVal mode As String, ByVal value As Integer)   the function it's calling looks like this:Private Sub pbStep(ByVal mode As String, ByVal value As Integer) Select Case mode.ToLower Case "clear" ProgressBar1.Value = 0 Case "step" ProgressBar1.PerformStep() L...

LINQ -- how to do where x in ('a', 'b','c')
How do I write a LINQ expression that does the following: select * from SomeTable where SomeColumn in ('a', 'b','c')  Jay There is no IN operator in LINQ (yet), but you can use Contains instead: http://www.devauthority.com/blogs/jwooley/archive/2007/08/06/69922.aspx Jos...

Parameterprefix ('@', ':', '?') with MySQL (lite) over odbc
Hi! I cant get my gridview to work with a deletecommand with a parameterprefix. I use a mysql lite installation. If a change my deletecommand to a specific id that exists in the DB everything works properly but not with @original_id (or @id). Been stuck on this for ages so I really apprechiate help. Code: asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowSorting="True" AutoGenerateColumns="False" CellPadding="5" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" EmptyDataText="Det finns för närvarande inga kurser att boka." ForeColor="#333333" GridLines="None" Font-Size="Small" Width="688px" Horizon...

'NMDayTim', 'Psock' , 'NMTime' , 'NMFtp' can not be opened.
hello, my colleague have developed an application under c++ builder 5. so now i should undertake it and optimize it. last days i have installed the C++ Builder 2010 testversion to get some experience on it, because i have not used it before. when i try to compile the old project in C++ builder 2010, comes some Compile errors. Also, there are some Includes like 'NMDayTim', 'Psock' , 'NMTime' , 'NMFtp' in this old Project. they can be found and compiled in the old c++ Builder 5. but not in c++ builder 2010. so i want to know do i solve this problem or go...

Web resources about - Select where column IN ('DC123', 'WQ242', 'GT654', 'EL982', ......); - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow