Powerbuilder 6.0 and MS SQL Server 2000

Greetings all!

I have searched far and wide on the internet for the following problem.  I
have figured out a work around, but would like to know if anyone has solved
the issue (other than the you need to upgrade answer).

We have a PB 6.0 application with a MS SQL Server 2000 Database on an NT
box.  The application works fine, we have no problems running the
application.  The problem is in the development environment.

I can connect to the database with MSS SQL Server 6.x native driver, but it
has problems.  It cannot create a datawindow without getting an error.  It
says"Cannot create datawindow  Data conversion resulted in overflow. 1
execute <SP_NAME>;1'

To eliminate anything that might be wrong with the stored procedure I coded
one like this.  Nothing complicated, and no sp arguements.

create procedure testme

as

select 'test'

To work around not being able to create a stored procedure I created an
ODBC connection.  However this has it pitfalls too.  I had one instance
where I loaded a procedure with the ODBC connection and the procedure
loaded fine, but did not work.  When I loaded it with the MSS native driver
it worked.  But, when I create a datawindow with my ODBC connection it
creates this.

execute <sp_name>;1;0 @myarg = :myarg

This does not work because of the extra number it add on after the stored
procedure name.  No big deal, I just delete it.  Also, if I load a
procedure with ODBC it is not possible to use sp_helptext <sp_name> to view
the procedure because it loads it as one continuous string.

So, my current process is when I need a new datawindow I connect with ODBC
and make the adjustments.  When I need a stored procedure loaded I connect
with the MSS Sql Server native driver.

I know that I can manually specify my result set when using the MSS
connection and this will work.  Not very feasible when you have 70 columns
though =)

So my question to all who read this......Is there a way to get the MSS Sql
Server 6.x native driver to work for the creation of datawindows?  Has
anyone overcome this?  I have read several posts about the same issue and
the main response that I have seen is you need to upgrade.  For me, that is
not possible.

-Dan Bacon

0
NOEMAIL

I know that you want to use native drive but MS has focused its connectivity
options since SQL Server 7 on OLEDB. PB 7 is required for OLEDB support.
Your next option is ODBC. The PB native driver has not been enhanced since
PB6.5 as all new features in MS SQLServer will available from ODBC/OLEDB and
not DBLIB (the interface that the native driver is build around).

You could also make sure that you are running the PB6.5 and the latest EBF
which is available at http:\\downloads.sybase.com.

<NOEMAIL@sybase.com> wrote in message
> Greetings all!
>
> I have searched far and wide on the internet for the following problem.  I
> have figured out a work around, but would like to know if anyone has
solved
> the issue (other than the you need to upgrade answer).
>
> We have a PB 6.0 application with a MS SQL Server 2000 Database on an NT
> box.  The application works fine, we have no problems running the
> application.  The problem is in the development environment.
>
> I can connect to the database with MSS SQL Server 6.x native driver, but
it
> has problems.  It cannot create a datawindow without getting an error.  It
> says"Cannot create datawindow  Data conversion resulted in overflow. 1
> execute <SP_NAME>;1'
>
> To eliminate anything that might be wrong with the stored procedure I
coded
> one like this.  Nothing complicated, and no sp arguements.
>
> create procedure testme
>
> as
>
> select 'test'
>

> To work around not being able to create a stored procedure I created an
> ODBC connection.  However this has it pitfalls too.  I had one instance
> where I loaded a procedure with the ODBC connection and the procedure
> loaded fine, but did not work.  When I loaded it with the MSS native
driver
> it worked.  But, when I create a datawindow with my ODBC connection it
> creates this.
>
> execute <sp_name>;1;0 @myarg = :myarg
>
> This does not work because of the extra number it add on after the stored
> procedure name.  No big deal, I just delete it.  Also, if I load a
> procedure with ODBC it is not possible to use sp_helptext <sp_name> to
view
> the procedure because it loads it as one continuous string.
>
> So, my current process is when I need a new datawindow I connect with ODBC
> and make the adjustments.  When I need a stored procedure loaded I connect
> with the MSS Sql Server native driver.
>
> I know that I can manually specify my result set when using the MSS
> connection and this will work.  Not very feasible when you have 70 columns
> though =)
>
> So my question to all who read this......Is there a way to get the MSS Sql
> Server 6.x native driver to work for the creation of datawindows?  Has
> anyone overcome this?  I have read several posts about the same issue and
> the main response that I have seen is you need to upgrade.  For me, that
is
> not possible.
>
> -Dan Bacon

0
Chris

Calling a MS-SQL-Server 6.5 StoredProcedure from PowerBuilder 6.0
Does anyone know if there is a difference from PB 5.0 to PB 6.0 in the native MSS SQL-Server driver by calling StoredProcedures with OUTPUT arguments. I do have the following problem: - I've got a StoredProcedures with a char, varchar(50) or even with a datetime OUTPUT argument. - In PowerBuilder I do: DECLARE sp_test PROCEDURE FOR schsp_test_char @psReturn = :sReturn OUTPUT USING SQLCA; EXECUTE sp_test; FETCH sp_test into :sReturn; CLOSE sp_test; - If I execute this statement I get the following error: Implicit conversion from datatype 'varch...

Connecting to MS Sql server 2000 thru PowerBuilder 5.0
We're connecting to MS Sql server 6.5 from PowerBuilder 5.0 using a Native driver. We want to upgrade to MS Sql server 2000. Does the native driver in PB 5.0 for MS Sql Server 6.5 support MS Sql server 2000 also ?? If not , whether Sybase provide a native driver to connect MS Sql server 2000 from PB 5.0 ?? Thanks & Regards, Ravi. No, neither SQL7 nor SQL2000 is supported from PB5. Some people have got SQL7 to work (don't know about 2000), but mostly it won't, certainly for us it wouldn't. The best thing to do is try it and see whether you get problems w...

MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000
We are migrating from MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000. We are using a Native connections and would like to know if there are any issues that we should be aware to do this correctly. TIA Adam Shepherd Are you sure about that? I have not experienced (or heard of) that kind of problem w/ 7.0. There are many other reasons why a table san is performed, but I don't think a numeric data type would cause it... Or are you talking about the PB problem of sending an Integer as 1. -- Kim Berghall Sisu Group, Inc. remove no_spam. no_spam.kberghall@sisugrp.com www.sisugrp...

PowerBuilder 4.0.3 & MS SQL server 6.5
From Enrique Rosales, Unisys Uruguay. Please, I need to know if is it compatible PowerBuilder 4.0.03 with Microsoft SQL Server 6.5? Thanks for your help. email: enriquerosales@unn.unisys.com >Please, I need to know if is it compatible PowerBuilder 4.0.03 with >Microsoft SQL Server 6.5? >Thanks for your help. > With the native drivers, I don't believe so. PB4.03 was compatible with MS SQL 6.0 with native drivers. When 6.5 came out, there were problems that were not fixed until I believe 4.07 (check with PS support to be sure about the release). Larry Cerm...

problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5
Dear All, I have some problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5 The error message is: Database transaction information not availiable. Call SetTrans or SetTransObject function. I have a window with 1 button and 1 datawindow The datawindow inside contain a SQL statement in the click event of the botton, the script is: parent.dw_1.SettransObject(SQLCA) parent.dw_1.retrieve() Can anyone tell me what is the problem? And how to solve it??? Thank You Very Much!!! It seems that the database connection is not available or not successfully connected. ...

PowerBuilder 6.5.1; MS SQL Server 7.0; ODBC; Text Column
PowerBuilder 6.5.1 ODBC MS SQL Server 7.0 Text Column I can't seem to insert a String with a length of 66,000 char to a Text Column. I get a to big (999) error I've change this in the pbodb60.ini PBMaxTextSize='2147483647' and I've added DBTextLimit='100000' to my SQLCA.DBParm Any Ideas? Best Regards, Adri�n Galv�n Adrian, Do you have this problem if you use the UpdateBlob statement as well, or just with Insert ? Sanjiv. "Adrian Galvan" <Nospam_agalvan@audisys.com> wrote in message news:40896004$1@forums-1-d...

How do i upgrade PowerBuilder 5.0's native driver for MS SQL Server 6.5?
If you have the 5.0.04 patches, you have the latest stuff that I know of. Tech Support might have something as a private EBF, but you would have to contact them directly to determine that. Are you having a particular problem with the drivers you have now? On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:38:18 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database A-B-C <a-b-c@163.net> wrote: > --- Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS] | Romac/Source International mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com | http://www.romac-sou...

Problems with db-library and ODBC using with MS SQL Server ver 7.0 PowerBuilder ver 6.5. And OLE-DB for Microsoft OLAP Services
There are many problems when running the aplication using the new ODBC driver for SQL ver 7. Simple, does not work. It�s any patch to this problem ? Using DB Library makes poor query plans in some case using SQL Server 7.0. It�s any path ? It�s any patch or utility to use OLE-DB for connecting Microsoft OLAP Services ? Carlos Lara darsa@solnet.com.mx ...

SQL Server 2000 and PowerBuilder 6
What can I do to work in PowerBuilder 6 with Microsoft SQL Server 2000, when the error 'SQLSTATE=S1003 - Program type out of range' is apear? (I try connect to a MS SQL Server through ODBC 3.5 and connection is succesfull, but when i try retrieve a datawindow, this error is apear.) Thanks ...

Powerbuilder 6.5 & SQL-server 6.5 <> 7.0
Hi everyone, I'm using PB 6.5 with SQS 6.5 Everything is normal until I port the program build in this environment to a similar environment with the only difference that the database is SQS 7.0 This database is slightly different - in some tables, the fields are larger than in the SQS 6.5 database (but the same type - char). When the program retrieves rows in that environment I get the error message 'Data conversion resulted in overflow ...' I have several other environments with sqs 6.5 with the same difference (larger fields) where the program doesn't rep...

PowerBuilder & MS SQL Server 2000
We have an application that we would like to implement using PB 8.x as the front end and MS SQL Server 2000 as the backend. Just wondering how homogenous the two really are. I have searched through some of the old messages in the PB general newsgroup in Google and I see instances of "this doesn't work here and this doesn't work there". Of course, a newsgroup like this is where you would get such messages. I know there are people that use it (SQL Server 2000) with PB. I'm just wondering how much, and with what degree of success? Will anyone take a guess as...

Powerbuilder 5.0.4 and MS SQL 2000?
Hi, I have tested our application developed in PB 5.04 with MS SQL 2000, it works fine. Do I need to upgrad the application to PB 7 or up? Is there any reason to do that? Thanks, sok ssaydahmat@yahoo.com wrote... > Hi, > I have tested our application developed in PB 5.04 with MS SQL 2000, it > works fine. Do I need to upgrad the application to PB 7 or up? Is there any > reason to do that? You are probably better off posting this question in the PowerBuilder newsgroup. However, I do work with PowerBuilder and can offer the following opinion: 1. PB 5 is really...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder 6.0 and MS SQL Server 2000 - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles