Populating a column with a dropdown datawindow within a datawindow.

I have a datawindow which contains two fields.  One is named "customer_name"
and the other is "job_siteno".
these fields are contained in two different tables which are related by a
foreign key column "cust_id". Both of these columns have a DDDW edit
control.  When I select the customer name I want to then have the
"job_siteno" column populated with all the site numbers related to this
particular customer. I would then be able to select the site number from the
DDDW edit control. Selecting the customer number is no problem.  My problem
is that the site numbers won't populate correctly unless I enter a value in
the retrieval argument window.
Also, i don't want the retrieval argument window to appear during run time.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sheldon Thompson

0
Sheldon

1. You need to get the reference to the DDDW using the getchild() function.
2. Using the DataWindowChild, insert a row in the child datawindow. This
will overcome the retrieval argument     runtime window appearing.
3. When entering new record, get the data value of the "customer _name"
(most probably cust_id) column and pass it as the retrieval argument to the
DataWindowChild and retrieve the DataWindowChild. This will show you records
in job_siteno column, related to customer_name.

Thanks

Devang Shah
Mumbai, India

Sheldon Thompson <Shellt1000@cs.com> wrote in message
> I have a datawindow which contains two fields.  One is named
"customer_name"
> and the other is "job_siteno".
> these fields are contained in two different tables which are related by a
> foreign key column "cust_id". Both of these columns have a DDDW edit
> control.  When I select the customer name I want to then have the
> "job_siteno" column populated with all the site numbers related to this
> particular customer. I would then be able to select the site number from
the
> DDDW edit control. Selecting the customer number is no problem.  My
problem
> is that the site numbers won't populate correctly unless I enter a value
in
> the retrieval argument window.
> Also, i don't want the retrieval argument window to appear during run
time.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Sheldon Thompson

0
Devang
9/3/1999 6:01:04 AM
Sheldon
if you found difficult in passing argument to ddw. i suggest you modify the
select statement of the ddw. you can use (getsqlselect() and setsqlselect()
function).

Sheldon Thompson wrote:

> I have a datawindow which contains two fields.  One is named "customer_name"
> and the other is "job_siteno".
> these fields are contained in two different tables which are related by a
> foreign key column "cust_id". Both of these columns have a DDDW edit
> control.  When I select the customer name I want to then have the
> "job_siteno" column populated with all the site numbers related to this
> particular customer. I would then be able to select the site number from the
> DDDW edit control. Selecting the customer number is no problem.  My problem
> is that the site numbers won't populate correctly unless I enter a value in
> the retrieval argument window.
> Also, i don't want the retrieval argument window to appear during run time.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Sheldon Thompson

0
edward
10/11/1999 2:33:05 PM
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:33:05 +0800,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
edward <ed130088@netvigator.com> wrote:
>Sheldon
>if you found difficult in passing argument to ddw. i suggest you modify the
>select statement of the ddw. you can use (getsqlselect() and setsqlselect()
>function).
>
>Sheldon Thompson wrote:
>
>> I have a datawindow which contains two fields.  One is named "customer_name"
>> and the other is "job_siteno".
>> these fields are contained in two different tables which are related by a
>> foreign key column "cust_id". Both of these columns have a DDDW edit
>> control.  When I select the customer name I want to then have the
>> "job_siteno" column populated with all the site numbers related to this
>> particular customer. I would then be able to select the site number from the
>> DDDW edit control. Selecting the customer number is no problem.  My problem
>> is that the site numbers won't populate correctly unless I enter a value in
>> the retrieval argument window.
>> Also, i don't want the retrieval argument window to appear during run time.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sheldon Thompson

Sheldon if you want to populate the field with the value use setitem function
and set value for the column you need but
 you using retr arg it is not going to populate at run time for the users. But
also you can use getsqlselect() and setsqlselect()
0
olga

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

DataWindow Within DataWindow

HTML Datawindow Generator
Hi, I am having a strange problem updating columns with dropdown datawindows. I am sorry for the long message. But to explain things, I needed to do that. I copied the code from pbdwrmt.pbl and created a custome datawindow generator component and delpoyed it to Jagusr. I am using a datawindow which has multiple drop down datawindows. None of them has retrieval arguments. The retrieval of the main datawindow worked fine and the drop down datawindows showed data. But I see "error on Page" in the browser status bar when th page is loaded. I have an update button in th...

Drop down datawindow within datawindow
I have a datawindow that is attached to a PL/SQL stored procedure that is supposed to list records. Several of the fields in the list are identified as Style DropDownDW. The intent is that for these fields there will be multiple values available by using a vertical scroll bar and arrow. For example, a record in the window might have Name Address Medical Code Medical code would also be a drop down list box with multiple values. Is there a simple way to implement this in Powerbuilder 9? What kind of PB coding constructs would be necessary? Thanks Generally, the steps are: ...

Drop down datawindow within a datawindow
I have a datawindow that is attached to a PL/SQL stored procedure that is supposed to list records. Several of the fields in the list are identified as Style DropDownDW. The intent is that for these fields there will be multiple values available by using a vertical scroll bar and arrow. For example, a record in the window might have Name Address Medical Code Medical code would also be a drop down list box with multiple values. Is there a simple way to implement this in Powerbuilder 9? What kind of PB coding constructs would be necessary? Thanks Please post this question ...

Dropdown DataWindows in Java DataWindow
When I do a setFullState on a Java datawindow, using a state generated by a PowerBuilder component, I get nothing in the dropdowns. I reported this bug a few months ago, and was told that this would be addressed by an EBF available shortly after the EA Studio general release. Can anyone give me a status report on when a fix will be available? ...

embedding a datawindow within a datawindow
Below is a sample of the format for a report I need to create. The report will display courses that may or may not be part of group, because the people running the courses can choose from all the courses available to create their own "group" of courses. Since a course may or may not be part of a group would using an embedded datawindow for the group info work? How? Can anyone point me in the right direction? The data is coming from two tables. Thanks, Kevin CourseID CourseTitle CourseTopic EnrollMax EnrollCurrent 100145A "Sample" "Sample"...

DropDown Datawindow in HTML datawindow
Hi We are going to move from PB 6.5 to PB 7 only because of internet applications. We would like to know some information abut HTML DataWindow. In a HTML Data Window, assume that we have 3 columns. All the 3 coloumns have DropDownDataWindow. Based first column value which I'm going to select I need to populate the second field DropDown DataWindow and based on the first column value and second column value , the 3rd column dropdown datawindow has to be populated. Is it possible in HTML DataWindow. Based on the solution only we can start the project. T...

datawindow.column.count not returning the column count of a datawindow
I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a datawindow. It just started happening with PB 6.501 and still works fine in PB 5.0. The function that looks at this property is in an ancestor userobject. The dataobject is assigned at this point but all other properties of the datawindow are missing. Any suggestions? Don't recall, but was it still dwDescribe() in version 5.0? If it was that may be your problem. HTH Kent Montgomery wrote: > I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a > datawindow. It just started happenin...

datawindow

DataWindows and datawindow objects

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

Web resources about - Populating a column with a dropdown datawindow within a datawindow. - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Koalas over-populating Great Ocean Road 'fell out of trees due to starvation'
A koala expert says the culling of more than 700 koalas was necessary because they were "falling out of the trees due to starvation".

Apple begins populating international iBookstores - iLounge News
According to a report from Italian language iPadevice (Translated Link), Apple has begun populating the iBookstores of Australia, Canada, France, ...

Disney is populating their theme parks with robots that can THROW THINGS AT YOU
Disney is hard at work bringing about the Robopocalypse. Behold the throwing bots, the brand-new batch of robots Disney can't wait to unleash ...

Cavuto on Bartiromo at FBN: ‘We’re Populating it with Italians’
Neil Cavuto went on Brian Kilmeade ‘s Fox News Radio show today to talk about the addition of Maria Bartiromo to the FBN line-up. “We’re populating ...

Starbucks Plans to Begin Populating India at Last
Starbucks, the popular American coffee retailer, plans to open its first store in India in September through a joint venture with Tata Global ...

American cougars are re-populating their historical range
American mountain lions, or cougars, are re-emerging in areas of the United States, reversing 100 years of decline. The evidence, [...

Cougars are re-populating their historical range, new study confirms
American mountain lions, or cougars, are re-emerging in areas of the United States, reversing 100 years of decline. The evidence raises new conservation ...

Populating DeLong: Long Form
I have now populated [DeLong: Long Form](http://delong.typepad.com/delong_long_form/) from the present back through the start of 2012for those ...

Cougars are re-populating their historical range, new study confirms
American mountain lions, or cougars, are re-emerging in areas of the United States, reversing 100 years of decline. The evidence, published in ...

Seattle’s unlikely hero? How RealNetworks sparked the region’s startup community
... such as Amazon.com and Microsoft. But the DNA of another company has had a surprising impact on the Seattle startup ecosystem, populating dozens ...