OLE (MS-Word) Control

Hi everybody!  I hope I say this all correctly, cause I have only about 6
months experience with PowerBuilder.

I'm using version 6.5.1 of PowerBuilder...

I have a datawindow where I have placed an OLE control (an MS-Word doc built
in Office 97) in the detail band of the datawindow.  The Word document is
"linked" not "imbeded".  The idea is to merge some addresses (Sybase
columns) with the Word doc and print it.

All of that works great, however once I print the datawindow (using
PFC_PRINT), my mouse will appear normal, but clicking on anything, anywhere
in Windows (Windows 98) acts like the mouse wasn't clicked.

For example, I can't click on the "X" to close any Windows applications, or
click on the desktop to launch anything.

I have to use the keyboard <<ALT>> <<FILE>> <<CLOSE>> to close an
application.  Rebooting Windows is the only way I have found to clear this
problem.

Is OLE buggy?  Is it PowerBuilder?? Or have I missed something in my
script(s) that I need to do???

My guess is that the OLE is eating up my memory and clobbering the mouse.  I
have had other users try my application on their machines, and same problem.
I'm using the MS-Mouse with the wheel in the center (POINT32.EXE) but others
who have tried it using just a standard MS-Mouse also have the same problem.

            -Jim-

0
Jim

Hi Jim,

Have you tried running your application on a Win95 station? If it works
there, you have discovered a Win98 compliance problem
 http://techinfo.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocID/ID=47859 ) which should
be reported to Sybase.

BTW, in this printing process, are you using MessageBoxes somewhere. If so,
they might interfere with the OLE communication process. If you do have
these messageboxes, comment them out and try again.

HTH
--
Met vriendelijke groet,

- Eric Aling [TeamSybase], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands
  Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115

Jim Biggs <jim.biggs@state.mn.us> wrote in message
> Hi everybody!  I hope I say this all correctly, cause I have only about 6
> months experience with PowerBuilder.
>
> I'm using version 6.5.1 of PowerBuilder...
>
> I have a datawindow where I have placed an OLE control (an MS-Word doc
built
> in Office 97) in the detail band of the datawindow.  The Word document is
> "linked" not "imbeded".  The idea is to merge some addresses (Sybase
> columns) with the Word doc and print it.
>
> All of that works great, however once I print the datawindow (using
> PFC_PRINT), my mouse will appear normal, but clicking on anything,
anywhere
> in Windows (Windows 98) acts like the mouse wasn't clicked.
>
> For example, I can't click on the "X" to close any Windows applications,
or
> click on the desktop to launch anything.
>
> I have to use the keyboard <<ALT>> <<FILE>> <<CLOSE>> to close an
> application.  Rebooting Windows is the only way I have found to clear this
> problem.
>
> Is OLE buggy?  Is it PowerBuilder?? Or have I missed something in my
> script(s) that I need to do???
>
> My guess is that the OLE is eating up my memory and clobbering the mouse.
> have had other users try my application on their machines, and same
problem.
> I'm using the MS-Mouse with the wheel in the center (POINT32.EXE) but
others
> who have tried it using just a standard MS-Mouse also have the same
problem.

>             -Jim-

0
Eric

Using Ms Word OLE in Powerbuilder??
I'v recently enherited a PowerBuilder app that strips data out of DB2 and inserts it into A Word mail/merge document for printing using OLE. It was built for use with Word 5.0. We've gone to Office 97. It no longer works (same old story). Here is the offending code: ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.EditGoTo ("Include") ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.LINEDOWN(1) ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.InsertAfter(i_sAcctDetail) It stops on the first line and the error message says that the "EditGoTo property was not found" Can someone stear ...

Ole Control (Word Document) in a Datawindows
I'm puting a Word Document (Ole Control) in a Header of a datawindows, when i'm in design mode i see the contents of the document , but when i preview the datawindow i see a blank document, Why Thanks in advance I also will like that when user double click the control, he can modify the document and let the new document be the new document for other users. Is possible too, that user can assign a word document that he have write using word outside the program? Tanks a lot "Pere Pie" <perepie@retemail.es> escribi� en el mensaje news:Qx1$Z0fHCH...

Powerbuilder to MS Word via OLE is slow
Our application has used Word through an OLE connection for many years. It was always sort of slow but recently we upgraded from Word 95 to Word XP and it got much slower. With Word 95 it took about 15 seconds to connect, load a template, open a document and populate with data. Now that same process takes about 40 seconds with Word XP. A typical user machine is 433mhz with 64 mb RAM. Doubling the RAM gets us back down to about a 15 second response time. The problem is that we have 800 users and no money in the budget to add RAM to 800 machines. I am wondering if any of you hav...

Open MS Word Read only in OLE control
Hi, How can I open a word document in OLE control in READ ONLY mode?. Please give me the syntax of the command to use. Here is how I open the document. I am able to open the document, but in Read /Write mode. IF Len( ole_word.DocFileName ) < 2 OR ole_word.DocFileName <> ls_LocDocFile THEN ole_word.Clear() ole_word.InsertClass( "word.document" ) ole_word.Open( ls_LocDocFile) END IF Thanks a lot Vinod Thomas V Thomas wrote: > How can I open a word document in OLE control in READ ONLY > mode?. Please give me the syntax of the command to use. He...

MS Word OLE Control: How to Insert Input Fields?
Help please! I need to write code for MS Word OLE Control that works like these RTE functions: InputFieldInsert(), InputFieldChangeData(). How can I do that? ...

Inserting word document in OLE Control on a composite datawindow
I have a compsite datawindow from which certain set of data is displayed. I have a requirement in which I need to display certain set of instructions (4-5 page of word document) at the end of data retrieved. I am inserting an OLE control on the composite datawindow in its summary band and inserting the word document. Problem is that only first page of word document can be seen from retrieving the composite datawindow. Please help. Thanks. ...

PB9/ OLE
I am trying to save a report which comes in datawindow, I have to export this report into MS word, maintaining the format of the report. I have tried different approach with not much of a success I tried basic ole automation , connecting to word and copy the data from datawindow at run time and paste into word document. but does not maintain the formatting of report. Thanks a lot in advance, Tushar Hi Tuschar, We managed to do this by printing to pdf-file and using a pdf to doc convertor. Directly from PB to Word was tricky and not so easy to do. Using: - Amyuni...

Problem w/ MS Word OLE Control on ActivePrinter()
Please help, I am trying to dynamically change printer using MS Word's OLE object (function name is ActivePrinter()), and it does not seem to work. Does anyone have any idea as to how or why that function call fails? p.s. It returns the default printer when I don't pass in any parameter, but I can't set another one using the same function. Thanks I came up with a workaround by changing the default printer by calling n_cst_platform.of_printdlg(). BWY wrote: > Please help, > > I am trying to dynamically change printer using MS Word's OLE obj...

Help Needed for
Using Ms Word OLE in Powerbuilder?? I have one report which I wanted to be in Word document. Although it is not exactly mailmerge, I want to replace few of the fields in the word document with the database fields. The problem I am facing is Word says 'Name not found calling external function goto at line ...' I tried using Word 97 / Word 2000 ( PB version is 6.5) The code I wrote is //////////////////////////////////// OLEObject ole_object ole_object = CREATE OLEObject li_rtn = ole_object.ConnectToNewObject("word.application.8") if li_rtn = 0...

Error using SaveAs( ) with OLE control for MS-Word file
We have an application which inserts an MS-Word file into an OLE control and then reads the data from the OLE control and stores the data in the database. The stored data contains both the original data and the OLE header. Blob lbl_ole_data Ole20.InsertFile( as_filename) lbl_ole_data = Ole20.objectdata We have a second application which reads the data from the database into an OLE control and saves the original data to a file. Blob lbl_ole_data Ole20.objectdata = lbl_ole_data Ole20.Activate(InPlace!) ...

Word ole: How to close MS word
I have ole control on the window and inset file using Ole_control.InsertFile(file_name) When I close the window I still see the word running in task manager. How do I close Word? How about looking at the Quit method? Katarina wrote: > I have ole control on the window and inset file using > Ole_control.InsertFile(file_name) > > When I close the window I still see the word running in task > manager. How do I close Word? ...

Datawindow with large binary OLE to MS word interface getting memory AccessViolationException
Hi, I have a datawindow that has a large binary OLE object on it that links to MS word. When the user double clicks the OLE it brings up MS WORD. The datawindow worked fine in DW.NET 2.0, but after upgrading it now gives an AccessViolationException (attempted to read or write protected memory) error. I first notice this error when I upgraded to build 5063 and it is still a problem with DW.NET 2.0.1 (build 6021). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Don Don Kartchner wrote: > Hi, > > I have a datawindow that has a large binary OLE object on it > that links to MS ...

PowerBuilder 10.5 OLE Database Blob control and Word 2007 .docx files
I have an OLE column in a Datawindow and was able to open .doc files when the OLE server app in the OLE Class is defined as Word.Document.12, but I am not able to open a .docx file. The application starts but with a blank document. My environment: PowerBuilder 10.5.1 build 6684 SQLAnywhere 11 db MS Office Word 2007 Any ideas/suggestions on how to fix this problem are very much appreciated. Thanks, Petra ...

Web resources about - OLE (MS-Word) Control - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

How I learned to say, 'Hi, Google Docs; bye, MS Word'
Do I really need all those features? No. And so I've created my last document in Microsoft Word, a product I first began using 27 years ago. ...

Editing Docs in MS Word and Saving Them Back To Your Rails Site Using WebDAV
I recently made a proof-of-concept to get MS Word to edit documents in a Rails app and save them back to the server, using Devise for authentication. ...

CloudOn Released for Android – Create MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint Documents While On the Go
... cloud storage services like Dropbox , Box, and Google Drive . Once connected to your online storage, you can then create/edit Microsoft Word, ...

PDF Shaper - PDF 轉 MS Word(rtf 格式)
想要將 PDF 文件轉成微軟 Office 的 Word 格式,方便後續的編輯,可以來試試 PDF Shaper 這套 PDF 轉 MS Word(rtf 格式)的免費應用軟件,除了支援單一 PDF 檔案全部或指定頁數的轉換...

Microsoft loses appeal: can't sell MS Word
Federal judge affirms i4i's patent infringement judgment against Microsoft

MS Word’s Spell Check Still Flags “Obamacare”
Maybe that’s with good reason. The latest incriminating—well-written, too, I dare say—account I’ve read of the Patient Protection and Affordable ...

Podcast: Outliners vs MS Word
A bunch of people were discussing outliners vs MS Word on Facebook the other day, and I was just working on one of my apps, in my outliner of ...

New Adobe Flash zero day in the wild - infects through MS Word documents
Adobe has released an advisory warning users about a new zero day flaw in their ubiquitous Flash Player software. Watch out for malicious Word ...

In A Bid To Be The MS Word Of The Mobile Generation, Quip Adds Better Search, URL Links
Quip, a mobile-friendly word processing app co-founded by the ex-CTO of Facebook Bret Taylor and ex-Googler Kevin Gibbs, has picked up some 5,000 ...

MS Word deserves DEATH says Brit SciFi author Charles Stross
... inconsistent dictator' British science fiction author Charles Stross has published a mighty rant on the subject of Microsoft Word, which he ...