Migration from PB 7 to PB 9

We have been using PB 7 for quite some time.  Lately one of
our larger databases has been getting 'out of memory' errors
during a retrieve a data window in our current application.
Would upgrading to PB 9 prevent this?  In addition, does PB
9 increase response times via ODBC (sql server) v. PB 7?
Many thanks.
0
Joe

Joe;

 Make sure that the application's client machine is really running out of
memory. May be it's referring to "Out of System Resources". What version of
MS-Windows are you using?

 If you are running out of memory, it may also be due to a low O/S
PagingFile size or, the disk where the "dynamic" PagingFile is located is
running out of room.

Note: A large data retrieval trick is to use a DataWindow with the
"RowsToDisk" option turned ON.

Regards ... Chris
Great White North Technical Evangelist

<Joe A.> wrote in message news:3f6a0c4b.5fc8.846930886@sybase.com...
> We have been using PB 7 for quite some time.  Lately one of
> our larger databases has been getting 'out of memory' errors
> during a retrieve a data window in our current application.
> Would upgrading to PB 9 prevent this?  In addition, does PB
> 9 increase response times via ODBC (sql server) v. PB 7?
> Many thanks.

0
Chris
9/19/2003 12:14:36 PM
Joe,

I don't think there is any way to predict whether upgrading will prevent the
particular errors you are seeing.

You'd first need to troubleshoot your current problem and see what's causing
those errors. From your description of "larger databases" and the note about
retrieving datawindows, maybe you are just trying to retrieve more data than
your machine has memory to handle. You could first try to reduce the amout
of data you are pulling into the Dw and/or increase the RAM onthe machine.

Irrespective of the specific cause of this particular problem, it will
probably be a good move to upgrade to PB9 anyway - if for no other reason
than continued technical support !

Sanjiv.

<Joe A.> wrote in message news:3f6a0c4b.5fc8.846930886@sybase.com...
> We have been using PB 7 for quite some time.  Lately one of
> our larger databases has been getting 'out of memory' errors
> during a retrieve a data window in our current application.
> Would upgrading to PB 9 prevent this?  In addition, does PB
> 9 increase response times via ODBC (sql server) v. PB 7?
> Many thanks.

0
Sanjiv