importing excel data into a datawindow

I'm trying to import data from an excel file that contains 20 columns and
about 25 rows. However, some of the columns contain alphabetic data that
contains several lines of text. Therefore, when I save the file as a tab
delimited text file it causes problems when importing to the datawindow.
The datawindow thinks that the column data, which gets word-wrapped, is
several different records when in fact it is only one. By the way I am
using PB 5.

Gerald
0
Gerald

PB looks for tabs and CRs. It shouldn't care about wrapping, which is just a
visual feature of an editor anyway. On writing out of the data are CRs
getting written into the file? If so, stop that from happening. Is it
possible the Excel data contains CRs in the cells? That would be a killer
because you can't do much about that. In this case you could write the file
out as dbase2 or 3 and use ImportFile() to import it.

Regards,
John
Team Sybase

<Gerald> wrote in message
> I'm trying to import data from an excel file that contains 20 columns and
> about 25 rows. However, some of the columns contain alphabetic data that
> contains several lines of text. Therefore, when I save the file as a tab
> delimited text file it causes problems when importing to the datawindow.
> The datawindow thinks that the column data, which gets word-wrapped, is
> several different records when in fact it is only one. By the way I am
> using PB 5.
>
> Gerald

0
John

Import Data From Excel to Datawindow
Hi there I'm using Powerbuilder Ver. 9 I want to import data from excel sheet to datawindow at run time by creating the datawindow depending on excel cells for the column name and data type Could any one help me how can i do it thanks alot With my best regards Ahmad Alhowaimel You can create an ODBC profile that uses your Excel spreadsheet as the "database". Once that is created, PowerBuilder sees it as just another database connection, and you can create datawindows using that datasource. Paul Horan[TeamSybase] <Ahmad Alhowaimel> wrote in message ...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Import data into a DataWindow from an Excel file.
Hi, I need to import data into a DataWindow (PB 8) from an Excel file. The data is in tabular format with the first row as column names. I would prefer not to use the Excel file as a database but to use an order like ImportFile. The user has to choose the file and then it has to be read into the DataWindow. Thank you in advance. Mart=edn. Hi Martin, If you name the area in Excel, you'll be able to access it via ODBC, Otherwise you can connect through OLE....and then access data directly, or export it to something you can import to DW. Regards Martin gid pisze: > H...

importing excel file data to a datawindow
I'm trying to import data from an excel file that contains 20 columns and about 25 rows. However, some of the columns contain alphabetic data that contains several lines of text. Therefore, when I save the file as a tab delimited text file it causes problems when importing to the datawindow. The datawindow thinks that the column data, which gets word-wrapped, is several different records when in fact it is only one. By the way I am using PB 5. Gerald Whenever I need to pull data from an Excel file I just use OLE to fire up Excel, copy the data to the clipboard, and the...

Is it possible to import data from excel worksheet to a datawindow object?
DW can export data to excel file( save as ), can PB import data from excel worksheet to a datawindow object? If can, how to import? Thanks a lot! Hi, users can do a save as to a tab delimited txt file in excel. use then dw_1.Importfile to import the data in a datawindow object. Look up the importfile (datawindows) function in the help file. HTH John > DW can export data to excel file( save as ), can PB > import data from excel worksheet to a datawindow object? > If can, how to import? > > Thanks a lot! > > If you are looking for an aut...

Datawindow Nested Datawindow in data entry
hi!!! all , can i use nested datawindow in data entry to show important data ? means i want to show scrolling infomration on each row of a detail of a master detail screen. how can I do it ? means in an entry screen I want to show some scrolling information as the detail of detail on each row ? thanks , -neelesh If information is less you can simply add a dummy column,In detail screen. no the information is not less ... but the requirement is to make it as another detail as we don't know how much rows may come in it ... if it is more then the screen then ...

Excel data into Datawindow
Is there a PB function to import an excel file into a datawindow or any OLE to do that? You could either save the Excel file as a CSV file and use the ImportFile ( ) method to bring the data in, or you could create an ODBC connection to the Excel file and use SQL to get the data. OLE methods area also available, but ends up being just a bit more code to maintain. Sanjiv. "A Chan" <AChan> wrote in message news:40e8a15b@forums-2-dub... > > Is there a PB function to import an excel file into a datawindow or any > OLE > to do that? > &...

How to import excel to datawindow?
You can export delimited-text from Excel and import it into the dw using importString(). You can also use the ODBC Excel driver to bring the rows into a datawindow, and use RowsCopy() to import into another datawindow. Finally, you can use a pipeline, but that implies copying the data to another db. -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] Power3, LLC http://www.power3.com Useful links: NEW PB9 Book Information: http://www.pb9book.com My Sybase: http://my.sybase.com SDN: http://www.sybase.com/developer Google search: groups.google.com <adodo> wrote in message ...

data from datawindow to excel
Please help! I need to get data from a datawindow to pre-formated excel spreadsheets. Does anyone have a great solution to this problem? Should I use ole or dde or some other kind of coding solution? Sample code is much appreciated You must use ole. Look online books for sample - it's easy and work! Good luck, Gennady. Chris Edwards wrote: > Please help! > > I need to get data from a datawindow to pre-formated excel spreadsheets. > Does anyone have a great solution to this problem? > Should I use ole or dde or some other kind of coding solution? ...

Altering data within datawindow when datawindow in querymode
Hello all I have this datawindow which has a field called ISBN, I have set this datawindow in querymode and I need to scan in the ISBN numbers into the DW for retrieval. The problem is that I only need the string from third position to the tenth position, mid(isbn, 3, 10). In itemchange event I am unable to change this field as its get inputed. In another word, I need to alter this field before the 'Where' clause is set for querymode to get executed. dw_isbn.object.querymode='N' dw_isbn.accepttext() dw_isbn.retrieve() I tried to change the data of this field...

Import excel file into datawindow
Hi to all , How can i import excel file into datawindow ? My application expect only to *.xls file and not to *.txt file thanks david. use the odbc driver for excel <David> wrote in message news:44f14e06.1f22.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi to all , > How can i import excel file into datawindow ? > My application expect only to *.xls file and not to *.txt > file > > thanks > david. ...

How to import Excel file to datawindow?
The way we are doing this is using OLE with EXCEL to save the file as tab delimited text file and then import that text file into Datawindow. User simply selected EXCEL file for import and never knows what is being done behind the scene. Another option is to define an ODBC Excel DSN. You need to setup a Named Range in Excel with the first row containing column headers. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. Techwave 20002 www.sybase.com/techwave2002 Session E179 - Advanced Infomaker with Help of its Friend PowerBuilder <SAIYED&...

Web resources about - importing excel data into a datawindow - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo