Import excel file into datawindow

Hi to all ,
How can i import excel file into datawindow ?
My application expect only to *.xls file and not to *.txt
file

thanks
david.
0
David

use the odbc driver for excel

<David> wrote in message news:44f14e06.1f22.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi to all ,
> How can i import excel file into datawindow ?
> My application expect only to *.xls file and not to *.txt
> file
>
> thanks
> david.

importing an excel file into a datawindow
hello everybody I am trying to import an excel file into a datawindow(like a text file). Is there any method or work around to achieve this. An alternate which i thought was using oleobject, opening the excel file and using SaveAs to save into a text file for import into a datawindow.for this I can't find any method to open an excel file through OLEOBJECT. Thank in advance Magesh Babu.V This script will open a particular excel file // Create the oleobject variable xlapp xlApp = Create OLEObject // Connect to Excel and check the return code ret = xlApp.ConnectTo...

Import Excel file in datawindow
open datawindow at runtime and save data in Excel file then update that Excel file, Now I want to import Excel file into datawindow then update oracle database .So anybody have clue please send me email. thanks Hi, Have you try dwcontrol.ImportFile ( filename {, startrow {, endrow {, startcolumn {, endcolumn {, dwstartcolumn } } } } } ) Regards Fred kamlesh Patel a �crit dans le message <35E1A2BF.539A92AF@hotmail.com>... >open datawindow at runtime and save data in Excel file then update that >Excel file, Now I want to import Excel file into datawindow th...

How to import Excel file to datawindow?
The way we are doing this is using OLE with EXCEL to save the file as tab delimited text file and then import that text file into Datawindow. User simply selected EXCEL file for import and never knows what is being done behind the scene. Another option is to define an ODBC Excel DSN. You need to setup a Named Range in Excel with the first row containing column headers. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. Techwave 20002 www.sybase.com/techwave2002 Session E179 - Advanced Infomaker with Help of its Friend PowerBuilder <SAIYED&...

Import data into a DataWindow from an Excel file.
Hi, I need to import data into a DataWindow (PB 8) from an Excel file. The data is in tabular format with the first row as column names. I would prefer not to use the Excel file as a database but to use an order like ImportFile. The user has to choose the file and then it has to be read into the DataWindow. Thank you in advance. Mart=edn. Hi Martin, If you name the area in Excel, you'll be able to access it via ODBC, Otherwise you can connect through OLE....and then access data directly, or export it to something you can import to DW. Regards Martin gid pisze: > H...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

importing excel file data to a datawindow
I'm trying to import data from an excel file that contains 20 columns and about 25 rows. However, some of the columns contain alphabetic data that contains several lines of text. Therefore, when I save the file as a tab delimited text file it causes problems when importing to the datawindow. The datawindow thinks that the column data, which gets word-wrapped, is several different records when in fact it is only one. By the way I am using PB 5. Gerald Whenever I need to pull data from an Excel file I just use OLE to fire up Excel, copy the data to the clipboard, and the...

How to import excel to datawindow?
You can export delimited-text from Excel and import it into the dw using importString(). You can also use the ODBC Excel driver to bring the rows into a datawindow, and use RowsCopy() to import into another datawindow. Finally, you can use a pipeline, but that implies copying the data to another db. -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] Power3, LLC http://www.power3.com Useful links: NEW PB9 Book Information: http://www.pb9book.com My Sybase: http://my.sybase.com SDN: http://www.sybase.com/developer Google search: groups.google.com <adodo> wrote in message ...

Import file in datawindow.
Dear friends I am using pb5.0 This is what I did : I am tying import Excel file then update Oracle database , the code I wrote are following: ole_1.insertfile("c:\book1.xls") ole_1.getdata(clipformattext!, ls_data) mle_1.text = ls_data dw_1.importstring(ls_data) the problem is that I am only able to import upto 73 rows of data to datawindows. I know PB6 string type can hold upto 2 Million Chars. Does the clip board can hold that much as well? If not, what is right way to do it? Anybody know about update database different way.Please help me I am so tired t...

how to import CSV file into datawindow ?
in PB7.0, how to design or implement to import CSV file into datawindow ? I have a CSV file like that 01, abc, def, 11000, 0, 1, 001, 0000a 02, "hello, wrold", 1100, 1, 2, 002, 0000b how to import into datawindow in PB7.0 ? thanks ! You can create an ODBC DSN for that file - using the Text driver. After that's done and working, the .csv file looks like it's just any other database to PowerBuilder. You can create a transaction object and bind it to a datawindow with SetTransObject, then just use Retrieve. Or you can look into the ImportFile or ImportStri...

How to import a excel sheet in a datawindow ?
Hi, Happy new year for all I need insert data into a DataWindow control or DataStore from a excel sheet. The ImportFile function only inserts data tab-delimited text or dBase format 2 or 3. Any ideas? Thanks. Renato Gar�n Donoso You can use OLE or connect to Excel through an ODBC driver and read the spreadsheet. See the 'connecting to your database' manual for more detail on configuring the Excel ODBC driver. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamPS) Canadian Forest Oil Ltd. Renato wrote in message <01be3a8e$81bbfb20$143214b4@rgarin.aetnagen.com>... >Hi, >Happy n...

how to import text file into datawindow
does anyone can tell me how to import text file into datawindow as below format: text file name : input.txt text file contain : field 1, field 2, field 3, field 4 also datawindow object link to ms sql database and have 4 character field for receive data. thanks Your datawindow needs to have field 1, field 2, field 3, field 4 as the first 4 fields in that order in your SQL and the datatypes need to match. Retrieve your datawindow and do a saveAs -- this will show you how your text file needs to look (gives you the answer and you can work backwards) <ben> wrote in...

Import Data From Excel to Datawindow
Hi there I'm using Powerbuilder Ver. 9 I want to import data from excel sheet to datawindow at run time by creating the datawindow depending on excel cells for the column name and data type Could any one help me how can i do it thanks alot With my best regards Ahmad Alhowaimel You can create an ODBC profile that uses your Excel spreadsheet as the "database". Once that is created, PowerBuilder sees it as just another database connection, and you can create datawindows using that datasource. Paul Horan[TeamSybase] <Ahmad Alhowaimel> wrote in message ...

Web resources about - Import excel file into datawindow - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo