Help ! How to Migrate DW from Sybase with Long Table Names to DB2 with Shortened table name

Sub : Migrating DW from Sybase with Long Table Names to DB2 with
Shortened table names

We have our existing system running in Sybase with long table names.
This system had to be moved to DB2, we had to shorten the Table names &
Column names because DB2 does not support very long names.

Option 1:
--------
In order to make these changes in PowerBuilder Datawindows, we had to
literally go to the Datasource of each of these datawindows(about 120) &
modify their corresponding Table/Column names. In doing this we lost our
formatting/position on the Datawindow & the validation rules etc.

Option 2:
--------
Since the above mentioned way was very tedious, we exported the Sybase
Datawindow to a text(Using the Library painter export function). Opened
the text in Notepad & modified the TableNames/ColumnNames to the
Shortened names as it is in our DB2 Database. After doing this we tried
importing back into the pbl using the Import function. But we were never
successful with this task - When I goto the datasource of the DW after
importing, PB still gave errors saying "Table <Table Name> has no
columns, possible invalid table format. Do you wish to
continue in Graphic Mode". If I click on Yes, I lose all the SQL Syntax.
And If I click on No, I get the sql syntax which I have to manually
change & in the end I lose all the formatting as I had mentioned when I
used option 1.

I would appreciate if you could let me know of a better alternative or a
workaround for the above Option 2 to make it work.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Mahesh.
maheshwararaj@geocities.com
0
Maheswara

Option 2 is the better one. You must have done something wrong though. Did
you do a search and replace on all occurrences or just the ones in the SQL?
You should do all occurrences but make sure you don't change dw column
object names just change all references to the specific column.

When connecting to DB2 are you connecting with the same LogID as you were
to Sybase? That could be a problem if you have the table name owner
specified in the SQL.

I've made this change many times using the export/import method. You're on
the right track but you might need to do some testing until you can get it
to work on one datawindow. After you solve your problem it should be easy
to do it correctly to the rest.

Regards
John Olson
TeamPS

Maheswara Raj <maheshwararaj@geocities.com> wrote in article
<35A29105.59C9@geocities.com>...
> Sub : Migrating DW from Sybase with Long Table Names to DB2 with
> Shortened table names
>
> We have our existing system running in Sybase with long table names.
> This system had to be moved to DB2, we had to shorten the Table names &
> Column names because DB2 does not support very long names.
>
> Option 1:
> --------
> In order to make these changes in PowerBuilder Datawindows, we had to
> literally go to the Datasource of each of these datawindows(about 120) &
> modify their corresponding Table/Column names. In doing this we lost our
> formatting/position on the Datawindow & the validation rules etc.
>
> Option 2:
> --------
> Since the above mentioned way was very tedious, we exported the Sybase
> Datawindow to a text(Using the Library painter export function). Opened
> the text in Notepad & modified the TableNames/ColumnNames to the
> Shortened names as it is in our DB2 Database. After doing this we tried
> importing back into the pbl using the Import function. But we were never
> successful with this task - When I goto the datasource of the DW after
> importing, PB still gave errors saying "Table <Table Name> has no
> columns, possible invalid table format. Do you wish to
> continue in Graphic Mode". If I click on Yes, I lose all the SQL Syntax.
> And If I click on No, I get the sql syntax which I have to manually
> change & in the end I lose all the formatting as I had mentioned when I
> used option 1.
>
> I would appreciate if you could let me know of a better alternative or a
> workaround for the above Option 2 to make it work.
>
> Thanking you in anticipation,
>
> Mahesh.
> maheshwararaj@geocities.com

0
John

Changing Table Names / Field Names on Membership / User tables
I am building a web app and I had the whole database structure designed but I want to include the built in membership controls and things but I want to change the names of the tables and possibly the field names. Do I have to build my own provider for this? I do have extra fields I want to use two.I consider myself an avid ASP.net'er but building these custom providers seems like A LOT of work... Basically I resesigning a web app I made for our company, doing everythin in asp.net 2.0 and I'm going to start using LLBLGen Pro. I'm about 5 minutes away from dropping the whole membership things...

DB2/400 Table Name In Caps+Catalog Table
Hi, I have two problems 1) Table Name and Field Name in db2/400 retrieve in caps. like COUNTRY CNT_ID NAME I need small caps. 2) How can i update my CataLog Table Information on db2/400 Reply me as soon as possible. waiting Kamran Musthaq pds@sat.net.pk In the pbodbXXX.ini file you can specify the IdentifierCase parameter for your connection ;IdentifierCase=3 - overrides SQLGetInfo Identifier case value ; 4 - case insensitive, 3 - mixed case, 2 - lower, 1 - upper -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Canadian Forest Oil Ltd. ...

How to use a full column name (table name and column name) with a DataReader
Hi, I have a problem retrieving the data with a DataReader from a stored proc that performs a join of two table with the same column's names but different data. Let me explain with an example: I have two tables: Table1: Id, Name Table2: Id, Name, IdTable1 The sproc is something like this: CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[SearchByName] (@Name nvarchar(40)) AS BEGIN SELECT * FROM dbo.Table1, dbo.Table2 WHERE Table1.Id = Table2.IdTable1 AND Table1.Name LIKE '%' + @Name + '%' END And my c# code is something like this: Database db = Databas...

The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'table name'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.
I have an access database linked to the contacts folder of outlook. I used the access link table wizard to do so. I am able to view the table in access. However, when Im trying to access the table in my .net application, i get: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'IPContacts'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.  Where my table is called IPContacts. The outlook contacts folder is part of our excahnger server. When I tried to link directly to the exchange server, Access crashed. THe only look that worked was through outlook...

help table names
i have multiple strings. how do i know wheter a string is a table name? describe type doesn't work. bart.felix@skynet.be Do you mean a char or varchar datatype? -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dealer Solutions, LLC Houston, TX ...

How to search multiple table which table name is store in another table and join the result together?
I have one control table to store all related table name  Table ID                   TableName      1                           TableA      2                           TableB   In Table A: Rec...

Qualifying Table Name with Table Owner
Is there a way to tell PB5.0 not to use fully qualified names for a table when the user is not the table owner? I have a Sysbase System 10 database that already has tables created by another user. I have permission to the tables and can access them through isql without qualifying the tables. However, if PB the datawindows force me to specify the SQL using fully qualified names. I need the application to be more generic than this. Thanks for the Help. Cheryl ...

how to prefix column name with table name
I need to pefix column name (that is PD column code) with the table name(..code) either at CDM to PDM generation time or when I collapse existing PDM tables with non unique column codes into a denormalized table. I would like to know how to do it from both ways. please provide as detailed as possible explanation as I am a newbie with PD. many thanks...Stephane When you generate from CDM to PDM, you have the option to prefix each column with a Table Prefix (first 3 chars of table name). You could use VBScript if you wanted to do more from the PDM. For instance, write a quick...

Invalid Object Name (Table name)
good morning all, I am facing very strange problem.  I have a stored procedure as mentioned below.ALTER proc [dbo].[AspireMasalaTea_Garment_TopBottom_selectbyspecificvalue] @value nvarchar(50), @gender nvarchar(50) as select GarmentID,GarmentName,GarmentItemNo,GarmentQuantity,GarmentPicture from AspireMasalaTea_Garments where TopBottom=@value and Gender=@gender When i try to execute this sp with two parameters it gives error. exec [AspireMasalaTea_Garment_TopBottom_selectbyspecificvalue] 'top','women' Invalid object name 'AspireMasalaTea_Garments'. Gar...

SQL: Column names, can ONLY get "name" instead of "table.name"
Hey all, When iterating through column names returned from a query, I need to get "table.name" rather than just "name" Check it out: If I have an SQL statement "SELECT table1.ID, table2.ID FROM table1, table2;" And table1 has a column name 'ID' and table2 has a column name 'ID' aswell, and i run the query, the dataset will contain column names 'ID' and 'ID' instead of 'table1.ID' and 'table2.ID' It is extremely important that I can differenciate between the 2 fields, and know where each of them come from. The same thing happen...

Unload table names instead table numbers
Is it possible to change unload utilite syntax (reload.sql) from table number (internal table id) to real table name. May be special option may be added for this purpose. For example code INPUT INTO "DBA"."SOME_TABLE" FROM 'c:\\unload\\220.dat' FORMAT ASCII BY ORDER should be changed to INPUT INTO "DBA"."SOME_TABLE" FROM 'c:\\unload\\DBA_SOME_TABLE.dat' FORMAT ASCII BY ORDER It make upgrading and reloading database easer. Michael Klygin no_spam_michael.klygin@mtu-net.ru The problem with that is oft...

Create table with user specified table name
ok suppose i want to  create a table with a user specified name...... how should i replace the name with the variable name="table1"         Dim condb string .......         Dim cmdDB2 As SqlCommand               Dim  name as string=("table1")        Dim selkta As String = "CREATE TABLE name(no int,quest text,op1 text)"             cmdDB2 =...

Determine table names and column names at runtime?
Hi I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how we could find the table names and column names of the tables in our Sql server database at runtime/dynamically given our connection string? Please let me know. Thanks. The only advice I can give is this: All your database's objects are stored in the sysobjects table. And then there's syscolumns and sysindexes (shouldn't that be sysindices?). I would be suprised if there were not free libraries out there that make it easy to get information about sql objects. I don't know of one particularly. Anyone know of one? If not, that might m...

Reserved words as column name/table name...
We have Sybase ASE server version Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.2/EBF 11798 on Windows Server One of the database inventory_prd has following column names in the tables: "DUMMY" "KEY" "DESC" "LEVEL" and tables with following names "TEMP" "DUMMY" Howerver when I try to create these tables in other database it gives me following error: Server Message: Number 102, Severity 15 Server 'inventory_prd', Line 5: Incorrect syntax near '('. Server Message: Number 102, Severity 15 Server 'in...

table names and column names as local variables
Hi, can anyone tell me if there's some way to call a select statement in wich the table name or column name is provided by a local variable? Like this declare @column_name varchar(30) declare @table_name varchar(30) select @column_name='pub_name' select @table_name='publishers' select @column_name from @table_name Thanx in advance > Hi, can anyone tell me if there's some way to call a > select statement in wich the table name or column name is > provided by a local variable? Like this > > declare @column_name varchar(30) > ...

Web resources about - Help ! How to Migrate DW from Sybase with Long Table Names to DB2 with Shortened table name - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Facebook Allows @ Mention Tags of Friends to be Shortened
Once Facebook users have tagged a friend in a post or comment by typing the @ symbol or part of their name and selecting the name from a drop-down ...

21 Foot Rule Less Talk and More action (compiled and shortened) - YouTube
http://www.21footrule.com It is one thing to read about the 21 foot rule, it is another to actually see it done. Many times people think that ...

BaT tunnel shortened, cutting $15 million off price tag
State government designers have shaved 70 metres off the length – and, according to Transport Minister Scott Emerson, $15 million off the price ...

Wall St ends shortened session steady - Business Spectator
US markets lack direction in abbreviated post-Thanksgiving trading session.

Asian quake moved islands, shortened days
The massive earthquake that triggered the Asian tsunami wobbled the Earth on its axis, forced cartographers back to the drawing board and changed ...

Don Cherry: Shortened NHL season will be 'terrific'
Hockey Night in Canada personality Don Cherry says fans soon will witness thedynamite hockey that a 48-game season brings should players ratify ...

Ontario considers shortened municipal campaign period
Ontario's 10-month municipal election campaigns are "for far too long," Municipal Affairs Minister Ted McMeekin said Monday as voters across ...

Flight interval shortened
Flight interval shortened People's Daily Online BEIJING, Dec. 26 Starting on December 23, the Beijing Area Control Center has shortened the ...

S&P 500 ends flat in holiday-shortened session
The S&P 500 closed little changed on Friday, a fourth straight day of declines, amid weakness in energy and Walt Disney.

On '1984' Anniversary, Apple Debuts Shortened Versions Of 'Your Verse' iPad Air TV Ad
Apple has just debuted a pair of shortened versions of its Your Verse TV ad for the iPad Air.