Grid datawindow resizing

I would like my grid datawindow columns to size themselves
properly (magic I think).  Is there a wat to programatically
change the column widths and have them stay that way< or to
stay resized when manually stretched?

My problem is this: when a value is entered into one cell of
the grid and the user hits the tab key to go to the next
cell, the cursor goes to the first??? cell and compresses
all of the columns to the original width.  One of our grids
could have over 50 cells and the auto-resizing that occurs
is a major pain and time consumer.

I have as yet been unable to hit the right coding sequence
or to determine what properties to change to make the grid
columns stay put.

Hoosierkid

Try this example from my website.

http://www.topwizprogramming.com/freecode_dwgridxp.html

It has a function that adjusts the width of a grid datawindow to match the
data. The column width saved in the dw is used as the minimum size.

Roland

<Hoosierkid> wrote in message news:46af4177.54e5.1681692777@sybase.com...
>I would like my grid datawindow columns to size themselves
> properly (magic I think).  Is there a wat to programatically
> change the column widths and have them stay that way< or to
> stay resized when manually stretched?
>
> My problem is this: when a value is entered into one cell of
> the grid and the user hits the tab key to go to the next
> cell, the cursor goes to the first??? cell and compresses
> all of the columns to the original width.  One of our grids
> could have over 50 cells and the auto-resizing that occurs
> is a major pain and time consumer.
>
> I have as yet been unable to hit the right coding sequence
> or to determine what properties to change to make the grid
> columns stay put.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated...

0
Roland

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...
Blah blah blah You've heard it enough that you don't even want to comment on how many times... The DataWindow. ....but it can't be enough anymore...can it? This from one of our colleagues (and yes my apologies for taking it out of context)... "...PB covers all you need to do that in ONE Tool. This includes Windowprogramming ( meaning the interface to the user: Windows, Sheets, diallougeboxes, etc.), Database operability AND Reporting! Well, I see als well as many other PB users that some of the implementations and features PB offers are improvable. But this seems not to be the main issue here to be discussed. Fact is, and I've looked around to may other Programming systems, there is NO OTHER tool (I did not find any) which is comparable RAD..." So here's the two-fold feedback I'm hoping for and thanks in advance for your investment of time/effort to respond... *** 1) What true competitive differentiators does PowerBuilder still have as 2007 draws to a close? *** Yes, we can add/improve features but... *** 2) What can we add to, or change about PowerBuilder that would be a true competitive differentiator? *** Arguably one way to distill this down would be to ask what can be done for PowerBuilder that would make it better than (Visual Studio + DataWindow .NET)? Maybe its a single feature. Maybe its a new category of functionality. Maybe its a "eureka" modification to something PowerBu...

DataWindows Expressions for contraints on grid datawindows...
This may seem like an unholy thing to do to a datawindow, but I ran into a place where it was appropriate. First, I decided that I wanted to use Don Roof's dropdownfilter service for datawindows, which is triggered by clicking on a small bitmap icon which is supposed to be positioned next to the column heading. This is fine for the tabular style that Don's samples used. However, I wanted to use a grid-style datawindow to allow my users to resize columns while the application is running. Unfortunately, the datawindow tries to resize the bitmap when the column is resized, makin...

Resize Grid Datawindow
Hello, I am using PB 8 and I have a grid datawindow, The user should be able to resize this datawindow. Howerver I want several restrictions on this: e.g.: The user must not expand this datawindow over buttons. He must not resize the width of this datawindow. Does anybody know how to do this? Thank you very much. Micky Datawindow is a window, so this tip will apply (you'll only need to calculate minimum sizes) http://eric.aling.tripod.com/PB/tips/pbtip24.htm ...

datawindow

DataWindow Within DataWindow

Grid Datawindow and resize columns
Hi. My datawindows are Grid type, the property "MouseSelection", on the first tabpage, is unchecked. It's posible resize the columns without that property active? TIA In PB 8.0, I can resize columns in a grid window with Mouse Selection checked or unchecked. Resizing columns doesn't require being able to select them. The icon for selection and resize is different. Selection is the normal arrow and resize is the vertical bar with 2 horizontal arrows, 1 to pointing to each side. jo in okc "Luis Cortes" <cortesgl@corp-ods.com> wrote ...

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

Datawindows with child datawindows

Problem with a Drop Down DataWindow (child) on a grid type DataWindow.
PB 7.02 Build 8046 on Windows NT 4.0 I have a problem with a Drop Down DataWindow (child) on a grid type DataWindow. One of the columns in my DataWindow is presenting a selection, limited (filtered) according to what the user has selected in a previous column (on the same DataWindow). The Drop Down DataWindow is not displaying the raw data (an abbreviated code), but an English text translation of the data needed. Here is my problem: When the DataWindow is activated, all data are correctly displayed (no filtering yet). When the user clicks on one of the rows and on the column, w...

powerbuilder grid datawindow hscroll
Are there any plans to enable column freezing in a grid datawindow. I like this possibility in Excel very much and think it would be nice if we could offer our clients such an enhancement. Thanks Eric You already have the horizontalsplit property. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/ http://casexpress.sybase.com product enhancement requests: http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement "Ontsnapt" <ontsnapt@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:49c0da57$1@forums-1-dub... > Are there any plans to enable column fr...

DataWindows and datawindow objects

not resizable column for grid datawindow!!!!
On a per-column basis, or for the whole datawindow in general? Because you can already turn it off for the whole thing... -- "Don't just fix; teach." Some informative links: news:news.announce.newusers http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html On a per-column basis. Because there are picture or button object in some columns. And if you resize this colums, pictures show larger then original. "Jason 'Bug' Fenter" <fenter_bug_@_hot_mail_dot_com> wrote in message news:42a46cd6$1@forums-1-dub... > On a per-column basis, or for the whole datawindow in general? Because > you can already turn it off for the whole thing... > > -- > "Don't just fix; teach." > > Some informative links: > news:news.announce.newusers > http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html > http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html > http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html It's coded pretty easy. I posted a service that does that on datawindow forum several times... > On a per-column basis. > Because there are picture or button object in some > columns. And if you resize this colums, pictures show > larger then original. > > > &quo...

PB10 Grid Datawindow Resize Column
I have migrated an application from PB7.0.3 to PB10 and I am having problems resizing columns at run-time on a grid datawindow which has the grid setting turned on and Column Moving and Mouse Selection both checked. The datawindow is part of a "Preview" feature of the application which allows users to modify the look of a view by changing column width, sort order, etc. Any ideas? Thank you, Create a grid dw in PB10. Do you have the same problems? I was able to create one and didn't. This may be a migration issue. If so I would recreate the datawindow. Dawn &g...

Stop buttons from resizing on grid datawindow
How can I stop buttons in the footer from resizing when the columns are resized on a grid datawindow? Client wants columns resizable so turning that off isn't an option. Changing buttons to foreground doesn't work either because then they just float over rows and don't move with footer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Steven Doxzen Make them float on the foreground, and reposition them when the datawindow is resized. or, don't have the buttons in the datawindow. -aj Steven Doxzen <sdoxzen@eds.dsiddoms.com> wrote in message new...

Which Event when resizing a column in Grid Datawindow ?
Does anybody know if an event occured when i resize a column in a Grid datawindow ? Is there another way to know when a column is resized ? Thanks for help. -- Arnaud Bauer - Jehier Ing�nierie Informatique 49120 CHEMILLE - FRANCE Tel : 02.41.49.80.81 http://www.jii.fr There isn't such an event. I guess you could code a timer event that checks it to the previous value. Sorry. -- Dawn T Brown Eyes (TeamPS) Arnaud Bauer <arnaud.bauer@jii.fr> wrote in article <370C6054.158A271C@jii.fr>... > Does anybody know if an event occured when i resize...

Datawindow grid style column resize
It's possible that my cuestion sounds stupid, but is there a way in the datawindow designer to define the column width in a grid datawindow (numerically)? I can do it with the mouse and with edit source, but I don't found a property to set the column width. Thanks, Alex B. No - that's a "feature" of the grid datawindow. In the Preview pane, you can grab and resize column widths (but you have to have gridlines ON) -- Paul Horan[TeamSybase] Cynergy Systems www.cynergysystems.com "Alex Bibiano" <abibiano@nikel.es> wrote in m...

prevent resize columns in grid datawindow
Hi, here's my question: I have grid style dw with some columns in it that should not participate on the column resize feature of the grid style dw. Because those columns contain bitmap expressions they should not resize. Otherwise the bitmap being displayed resizes too. That's not what I want. For the columns containing text data resizing should be valid. Background: Formerly I used a list view control, but the listview can only handle display one picture column. That's why I used a dw. But column resizing must be generally available except those columns who contain bitmap expressions. Any ideas? Thanks in advance Thorsten To stop the bitmap resizing, copy the width valueinto the expression for Width. This will not stop you resizing the column, but will stop the bitmap being resizied within it. HTH Simon Thorsten Kummer <Kummer@planet.de> wrote in message news:387CA674.2D066317@planet.de... > Hi, > here's my question: > > I have grid style dw with some columns in it that should not participate > on the > column resize feature of the grid style dw. Because those columns > contain bitmap expressions they should > not resize. Otherwise the bitmap being displayed resizes too. That's not > what I want. > For the columns containing text data resizing should be valid. > > Background: > Formerly I used a list view control, but the listview can only handle > display...

Moving columns in Grid Datawindows using datawindow painter -PB 8
I know - Evita - AGAIN???? :-) This is for my teammate who's going crazy. He has a grid datawindow of 4 columns and wants to move say column 4 between current columns 1 and 2 but whatever he does WON"T let him slide it over. Is there some setting he needs to set someplace or is he stuck? Thanks -- Evita R. Chapa Senior Systems Analyst Command Technlogies, Inc I'm not meaning when it's running...In design we need the column moved over from where it was (column 4) to where it needs to be (between current columns 1 and 2) Thanks Evita <Victo...

Resizing datawindow
Our application runs in an MDI window. When the MDI frame is resized we would like to resize it's contents. While I am able to automate the resizing of all of the sheets, tabs controls, and data window contained therein, I have not been able to come up with a method for resizing the contents of the data window. While I could code something to reduce the size and font of everything contained within a given data window, it seems I would then need to reposition each control contained within the data window or they would still be some that would be cut off. Does anyone have a solu...

Column resize in a grid datawindow in a tab contril
I have a grid style datawindow sitting in a tabpage of a tab control. The users would like to adjust the column widths sometimes. When the edge of a column is clicked the divider bar comes up as if to allow the resize but when the mouse is moved to a new width, the column only resizes a small amount and the cursor turns into the dragdrop icon. In a normal window, it seems the grid datawindow resizes just fine. Is there some sort of problem within a tabpage? Jerry OBrien You have a conflict between the resizing/moving feature of the grid DW and the dragdrop feature of the D...

resizing the computed column width in a grid datawindow
How can i resize the width of a computed column to the length of the text in the column to display the entire text. You'll have to use a set of API to determine actual number of PBU needed to display a full text using current font settings. There's no way to do that in native PB code. I can give you code example if needed. "Sukhvinder Singh" <sukhvinder@defactoinfotech.com> wrote in message news:435f10bc@forums-1-dub... > How can i resize the width of a computed column to the length of the text > in the column to display the entire text. > ...

Event for column move/resize in grid datawindow
It would be very very helpful if an event on the datawindow control would fire when a column in a grid datawindow was moved or resized by the user. Like a ColumnResizing event with dwo, row, oldHeight, oldWidth, newHeight, newWidth parms. Of course in a grid you would have a null dwo if it was just a pure vertical resize and row would be null if it was a pure horizontal resize as all columns or rows, respectively, would get the effect. I'd go for that. I bet it would be a pretty easy thing for Sybase to implement as well. -EGM M. Searer <nospam@nospam.com> wrot...

Web resources about - Grid datawindow resizing - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo