Error in DW.SaveAs() with type Excel12

If I call dw.SaveAs() to allow the user to pick the target and file type,
and they pick any of the Excel12 options, the SaveAs returns -1 (failure)
and doesn't save a file. This is in PB 11.5.

I can't say this happens on all computers, but it does on the user's who
reported it, and on my development machine (which is Windows XP, with
Office 2007 installed).

I also notice that Excel12 isn't even listed in PB 11.5 Help's list of
SaveAsType values, or in the Object Browser, and the four Excel12 options
are listed at the bottom of the dropdown for file type in the SaveAs()
dialog box, which is weird, because all of the other options are in
alphabetical order!

I did finally find (in the PB General newsgroup, not here where it
probably belonged) a reference to the Online Books section on required
runtime files, where it says you need to include
PBDWExcel12Interop115.dll and Sybase.PowerBuilder.DataWindow.Excel12.dll
in your deployment for Excel 2007 (which is Excel12) support. So I copied
those files to my application's directory, but the same thing is still
happening. And I do have .NET 3.0 framework installed, which I understand
is required.

Any bright ideas?

---------------------------
Dan Cooperstock
DONATION web site: http://www.Software4Nonprofits.com
DONATION Support forums: http://forums.Software4Nonprofits.com
Email: mailto:info@Software4Nonprofits.com
Phone: 416-423-7722
0
Dan

"Dan Cooperstock" <info@Software4NonProfits.com> wrote in message
> If I call dw.SaveAs() to allow the user to pick the target and file type,
> and they pick any of the Excel12 options, the SaveAs returns -1 (failure)
> and doesn't save a file. This is in PB 11.5.
>
> I can't say this happens on all computers, but it does on the user's who
> reported it, and on my development machine (which is Windows XP, with
> Office 2007 installed).
>
> I also notice that Excel12 isn't even listed in PB 11.5 Help's list of
> SaveAsType values, or in the Object Browser, and the four Excel12 options
> are listed at the bottom of the dropdown for file type in the SaveAs()
> dialog box, which is weird, because all of the other options are in
> alphabetical order!
>
> I did finally find (in the PB General newsgroup, not here where it
> probably belonged) a reference to the Online Books section on required
> runtime files, where it says you need to include
> PBDWExcel12Interop115.dll and Sybase.PowerBuilder.DataWindow.Excel12.dll
> in your deployment for Excel 2007 (which is Excel12) support. So I copied
> those files to my application's directory, but the same thing is still
> happening. And I do have .NET 3.0 framework installed, which I understand
> is required.
>
> Any bright ideas?

Excel12 support was introduced with 11.5.1, not 11.5.  It is documented in
the release bulletin; there were no documentation updates to go along with
that new feature.  That explains the absence in the documentation.

When problems similar to this start appearing, that is often a sign that
there are problems with the installation (often duplicate or missing DLLs).
If this fails on a PC with the IDE, that leads me to believe that there
might also be some sort of corruption.

In addition, I would suggest that you create (and use) a new deployment
package to see if that solves the problem.  Note that Excel12 support is a
specific option that must be selected when creating the package.  I'm not
certain if "installation" of the dependent .net components can be
accomplished by simply copying some DLLs.  I know the 2nd DLL should be in
the GAC.

0
Scott
12/8/2010 7:47:40 PM
> Excel12 support was introduced with 11.5.1, not 11.5.  It is
> documented in the release bulletin; there were no documentation
> updates to go along with that new feature.  That explains the absence
> in the documentation.
>
> When problems similar to this start appearing, that is often a sign
> that there are problems with the installation (often duplicate or
> missing DLLs). If this fails on a PC with the IDE, that leads me to
> believe that there might also be some sort of corruption.
>
> In addition, I would suggest that you create (and use) a new
> deployment package to see if that solves the problem.  Note that
> Excel12 support is a specific option that must be selected when
> creating the package.  I'm not certain if "installation" of the
> dependent .net components can be accomplished by simply copying some
> DLLs.  I know the 2nd DLL should be in the GAC.

I have tried this on another non-dev machine, copying both required Excel-
related DLLs to my application folder, and also installing
Sybase.PowerBuilder.DataWindow.Excel12.dll into the GAC. Still the same
behaviour.

---------------------------
Dan Cooperstock
DONATION web site: http://www.Software4Nonprofits.com
DONATION Support forums: http://forums.Software4Nonprofits.com
Email: mailto:info@Software4Nonprofits.com
Phone: 416-423-7722
0
Dan
12/8/2010 8:22:56 PM
Hi Dan;

  Make sure that you are packaging the PB 11.5.1 run times and .NET DLL for
the GAC instead of PB 11.5.0.

BTW: What is the deployment machine's O/S vs your development system (are
they the same)?

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com

"Dan Cooperstock"  wrote in message

> Excel12 support was introduced with 11.5.1, not 11.5.  It is
> documented in the release bulletin; there were no documentation
> updates to go along with that new feature.  That explains the absence
> in the documentation.
>
> When problems similar to this start appearing, that is often a sign
> that there are problems with the installation (often duplicate or
> missing DLLs). If this fails on a PC with the IDE, that leads me to
> believe that there might also be some sort of corruption.
>
> In addition, I would suggest that you create (and use) a new
> deployment package to see if that solves the problem.  Note that
> Excel12 support is a specific option that must be selected when
> creating the package.  I'm not certain if "installation" of the
> dependent .net components can be accomplished by simply copying some
> DLLs.  I know the 2nd DLL should be in the GAC.

I have tried this on another non-dev machine, copying both required Excel-
related DLLs to my application folder, and also installing
Sybase.PowerBuilder.DataWindow.Excel12.dll into the GAC. Still the same
behaviour.

---------------------------
Dan Cooperstock
DONATION web site: http://www.Software4Nonprofits.com
DONATION Support forums: http://forums.Software4Nonprofits.com
Email: mailto:info@Software4Nonprofits.com
Phone: 416-423-7722

0
Chris

SaveAs function of dw with SQLInsert! as saveas type
Hello Is there any way to prevent the Create Table command from being inserted when you do dw_control.SaveAs SqlInsert! Or the only way out is to programatically load up the file using powerscript and get rid of them. Also I read a tip at www.rgagnon.com on how to read a file > 32K in powerscript. What technique should I use to save a file > 32K ? Thanks in advance However If you care to know why I want to do this then read on : ================================================================ I am trying to implement replication in our application. I want to t...

Error For SaveAs datawindow into PFD with using XSL-OF (datawindow have chinese data)
Dear All, In my case, Database's collation is using UTF-16LE and coding in PB10. When I save a datawindow (all data in English) in PDF format, this is work. BUT When I save a datawindow (have chinese data) in PDF format, this have error and return -1 of 'SaveAs' function. When I "save as row" at that datawindow with retrieve chinese data, it will show "java.lang.NullPointerException" error message. How can i solve this problem (can save chinese data's datawindow into PDF format)?? Thanks!! Ada ...

Error in datawindow error
Hi PowerGuys, I have created datawindow in pb7 and I saved it. In PS file-new-blank html page. I created a blanke html page. Insert activeX control - design tab-sybase html datawindow dtc - selected pbl and datawindow which I want to display on the page. I set generate absolute path-set connect property - enable jaguar component - html generator. saved the page - it automatically deployed to my personal webserver. But, when I browse throug IE5.0 I got an error Line 1 Column 97: incorrect syntax. Where did I go wrong ?. Any one got this error ?. Please help me. Th...

DW SaveAs Method Error
Hello, I'm working on a piece of software that allows you to create a custom SQL View. I have a datawindow that previews the View. I add a button to export the DataWindow using the SaveAs Method. This works great for everything except PowerSoft Reports. I receive an error saying Line: 26 Column:630 Incorrect Syntax. I've checked everything I could think of and no luck. Using PB 7.0.3 against a SQL 7.0 DB SP 2. Has anyone come across this before? -Mark ...

Datawindow error in powerbuilder 10
I have migrated my application from Powerbuilder 6.5 to 10. Randomly I am getting a error while retrieving a datawindow which is as follow: Datawindow control : ppo_uds_super Data Object : d_mnt_sys_parm Row : 0 Buffer : Primary DB Error Code : 207 Sql Error Text : Select error: SQLSTATE = S0022 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'YN'. In the above mentioned datawindow's select statement, there is no such column. Please advice to overcome this problem. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_news...

html datawindow error ERROR: Datawindow definition not set urgent
I have datawindow in a html page, when I created the page in the ActiveX sybase html datawindow properties I choose from source file (*.src) and deploy I get this message ERROR: Datawindow definition not set from my browser are there anybody to help me Thanks Francisco Pardo fpw@gruposoin.com.mx Select the Generate Absolute path in the DTC. Francisco Javier Pardo Weaver wrote in message <5JGJ$grD$GA.51@forums.sybase.com>... >I have datawindow in a html page, when I created the page in the ActiveX >sybase html datawindow properties I choose from source file ...

DW SaveAs Method Error
Hello, I'm working on a piece of software that allows you to create a custom SQL View. I have a datawindow that previews the View. I add a button to export the DataWindow using the SaveAs Method. This works great for everything except PowerSoft Reports. I receive an error saying Line: 26 Column:630 Incorrect Syntax. I've checked everything I could think of and no luck. Using PB 7.0.3 against a SQL 7.0 DB SP 2. Has anyone come across this before? -Mark ...

Error message in PowerBuilder Datawindow
Can anyone help me decipher the following error message that I get when trying to retrieve from a datawindow: Select error: SQLSTATE = 37000 [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Syntax error or access violation: invalid expression near ':?+'" I am using PB 7.0.1 and Sybase ASA 6.0.2. Thanks in advance! Benjie ...

Error message in PowerBuilder Datawindow
Can anyone help me decipher the following error message that I get when trying to retrieve from a datawindow: Select error: SQLSTATE = 37000 [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Syntax error or access violation: invalid expression near ':?+'" I am using PB 7.0.1 and Sybase ASA 6.0.2. Thanks in advance! Benjie ...

Datawindow create error: datawindow error has incorrect release number
I have the following table: CREATE TABLE dbo.APP_REPORTS ( rec_id numeric(18,0) NOT NULL, dw_state image NULL, dw_structure image NULL, CONSTRAINT RAPPORTEN PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED(rec_id) ) go In this table I have stored reports generated from datawindows in PB9. Now we are migrating to PB11, but I get an error retrieving/generating the datawindows/reports from this table containing PB9 versions. In powerbuilder I have following code (in short): //ids_buffer is a datastore containing the report to preview //datawindow creation (from dw...

Datawindow saveas() type PSReport! and NULL
Hello, My problem is outline below: Environment: WinNT 4 sp 4 , PB 6.5.1 ISSUE : I save a tabular ; SQL select DW (the dw is off of the employee table in the psdemo DBMS) using the DW.SaveAs(..,..,PSReport!,..) function. I save it as a PSReport! (Powersoft Report (PSR) format) type. I then want to read the file into a BLOB variable and then place it in a blob column in a table so I can show a history of what reports were printed (by using DW.dataobject = 1.psr). PROBLEM : I use the PB file i/o functions to read the .psr file but the file apparently has nulls at the beginning...

Datawindow saveas() type PSReport! and NULL
Hello, My problem is outline below: Environment: WinNT 4 sp 4 , PB 6.5.1 ISSUE : I save a tabular ; SQL select DW (the dw is off of the employee table in the psdemo DBMS) using the DW.SaveAs(..,..,PSReport!,..) function. I save it as a PSReport! (Powersoft Report (PSR) format) type. I then want to read the file into a BLOB variable and then place it in a blob column in a table so I can show a history of what reports were printed (by using DW.dataobject = 1.psr). PROBLEM : I use the PB file i/o functions to read the .psr file but the file apparently has nulls at the beginning...

Error on Updating DW having TEXT type
Having a DW with Comment as a text data type. The properties on that field in the Columns Specification - char(32767) The limit on this field - 32000 I had saved content of around 365 characters already, but on adding more characters and tabbing out gives me an error - Cannot Update Orders:Comment as Limit for this field has reached. - I am not able to make much out of this error. However, on continuing to save, it saves the relevant data. PB 9 Build 6533 PFC, Sybase ASE 11.5 Any help is appreciated. Try setting the Limit to 0 (unlimited) instead of 32000. --- PowerOb...

Error message in PowerBuilder Datawindow #2
Can anyone help me decipher the following error message that I get when trying to retrieve from a datawindow: Select error: SQLSTATE = 37000 [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Syntax error or access violation: invalid expression near ':?+'" I am using PB 7.0.1 and Sybase ASA 6.0.2. Thanks in advance! Benjie Turn your DataWindow into syntax mode. It probably will be easier to see what is wrong. If you can't see what it wrong then post the SQL syntax here and we'll take a look at it. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Dynamic Data Solutions...

Web resources about - Error in DW.SaveAs() with type Excel12 - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow