DataWindow Object window handle

Hello,

Is it possible to get a window handle from an object in a DataWindow. I know
that it is possible for a nested report, and I was wondering if it would be
possible too with controls like columns, edit, labels... (again, in a
DataWindow, not ouside)

thank you very much for your help,
david

0
David

No.

--
This is a FAQ, read Help, then search
www.groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
Philip Salgannik

"David R." <david.raingeard@laposte.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to get a window handle from an object in a DataWindow. I
> know that it is possible for a nested report, and I was wondering if it
> would be possible too with controls like columns, edit, labels... (again,
> in a DataWindow, not ouside)
>
> thank you very much for your help,
> david

0
Philip
3/21/2005 1:34:35 PM
Thanks ;)

"Philip Salgannik" <philemaxNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> No.
>
> --
> This is a FAQ, read Help, then search
> www.groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
>
> pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
> Philip Salgannik
>
> "David R." <david.raingeard@laposte.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to get a window handle from an object in a DataWindow. I
>> know that it is possible for a nested report, and I was wondering if it
>> would be possible too with controls like columns, edit, labels... (again,
>> in a DataWindow, not ouside)
>>
>> thank you very much for your help,
>> david

0
David
3/21/2005 4:36:41 PM
I'm working on that to, and it seems possible when using windows api
functions.
You can use FindWindowEx to get the handle of a control on the
datawindow, the only problem
that I haven't solved (yet), is that a column has no caption, so it's
impossible to know which handle you found.

Declaration of the API function:

function ulong FindWindowExW(ulong hwdnParent, ulong hwndChildAfter,
string lpClassName, string lpWindowName) library 'USER32.DLL'

Example call:
setnull(lul_controlhandle)
setnull(ls_windowcaption)
ls_class = "Edit"

lul_dwhandle = handle(this.dw_1)

lul_controlhandle = FindWindowExW(lul_dwhandle, lul_controlhandle,
ls_class, ls_windowcaption)

This will give you the handle of the first edit control on the
datawidow, when called again it gives the handle of next edit control
after that first, cause lul_controlhandle is not null.

Hope it helps!

David R. wrote:
> Thanks ;)
>
> "Philip Salgannik" <philemaxNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>No.
>>
>>--
>>This is a FAQ, read Help, then search
>>www.groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
>>
>>pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
>>Philip Salgannik
>>
>>"David R." <david.raingeard@laposte.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Is it possible to get a window handle from an object in a DataWindow. I
>>>know that it is possible for a nested report, and I was wondering if it
>>>would be possible too with controls like columns, edit, labels... (again,
>>>in a DataWindow, not ouside)
>>>
>>>thank you very much for your help,
>>>david

0
Martijn
3/24/2005 12:31:55 PM
You are wasting your time and also confusing the OP's question about
"objects" in the dataobject (which is in fact a bitmap) with an edit control
that floats above the it.
--

"Martijn Kooij" <internet@captaincaveman.nl> wrote in message
> I'm working on that to, and it seems possible when using windows api
> functions.
> You can use FindWindowEx to get the handle of a control on the datawindow,
> the only problem
> that I haven't solved (yet), is that a column has no caption, so it's
> impossible to know which handle you found.
>
> Declaration of the API function:
>
> function ulong FindWindowExW(ulong hwdnParent, ulong hwndChildAfter,
> string lpClassName, string lpWindowName) library 'USER32.DLL'
>
> Example call:
> setnull(lul_controlhandle)
> setnull(ls_windowcaption)
> ls_class = "Edit"
>
> lul_dwhandle = handle(this.dw_1)
>
> lul_controlhandle = FindWindowExW(lul_dwhandle, lul_controlhandle,
> ls_class, ls_windowcaption)
>
> This will give you the handle of the first edit control on the datawidow,
> when called again it gives the handle of next edit control after that
> first, cause lul_controlhandle is not null.
>
> Hope it helps!
>
> David R. wrote:
>> Thanks ;)
>>
>> "Philip Salgannik" <philemaxNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>No.
>>>
>>>--
>>>This is a FAQ, read Help, then search
>>>www.groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
>>>
>>>pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
>>>Philip Salgannik
>>>
>>>"David R." <david.raingeard@laposte.net> wrote in message

0
Philip
3/24/2005 1:33:59 PM
You're going down a dead end.  Regardless of the number of
rows/columns in a DataWindow, there are only two window controls
present at runtime: (a) a bitmap rendering of *all* of the data and
(b) an edit mask over the column that has focus.  That's it.  The only
way to access the individual elements of the DataWindow are through
the DataWindow methods.

On 24 Mar 2005 04:31:55 -0800, Martijn Kooij
<internet@captaincaveman.nl> wrote:

>I'm working on that to, and it seems possible when using windows api
>functions.
>You can use FindWindowEx to get the handle of a control on the
>datawindow, the only problem
>that I haven't solved (yet), is that a column has no caption, so it's
>impossible to know which handle you found.
>
>Declaration of the API function:
>
>function ulong FindWindowExW(ulong hwdnParent, ulong hwndChildAfter,
>string lpClassName, string lpWindowName) library 'USER32.DLL'
>
>Example call:
>setnull(lul_controlhandle)
>setnull(ls_windowcaption)
>ls_class = "Edit"
>
>lul_dwhandle = handle(this.dw_1)
>
>lul_controlhandle = FindWindowExW(lul_dwhandle, lul_controlhandle,
>ls_class, ls_windowcaption)
>
>This will give you the handle of the first edit control on the
>datawidow, when called again it gives the handle of next edit control
>after that first, cause lul_controlhandle is not null.
>
>Hope it helps!
>
>David R. wrote:
>> Thanks ;)
>>
>> "Philip Salgannik" <philemaxNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>No.
>>>
>>>--
>>>This is a FAQ, read Help, then search
>>>www.groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
>>>
>>>pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
>>>Philip Salgannik
>>>
>>>"David R." <david.raingeard@laposte.net> wrote in message

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Using DataWindow .NET with MSDN

Seventh Annual Sybase Tools Seminar
http://seminar.powerobjects.com/

Vote for DataWindow.Net!
http://sys-con.com/dotnet/readerschoice2004/

TeamSybase blogs:
http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs

PowerBuilder Developer's Journal:
http://sys-con.com/pbdj/

Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

http://www.needhim.org

NOTE:

If you are using Google to post messages to the newsgroups, you will
*not* receive a reply.  Messages posted through Google never reach the
Sybase newsgroup server, so we don't see them in order to respond to
them.  You should post your question using a standard newsgroup reader
or the web based newsreaders at my.sybase.com or www.pfcguide.com.
Google is great for searching the Sybase newsgroups, but you can't post
to them from there.

DISCLAIMER:

This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
it may not.

Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
author has multiple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.
0
Bruce
3/24/2005 1:35:02 PM
Thanks for the wakeup call...

*Martijn Kooij is disliking 4GL even more...*

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] wrote:
> [...]
> DISCLAIMER:
>
> This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
> is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
> message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
> that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
> it may not.
>
> Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
> of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
> Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
> products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
> views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
> author has multiple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
> of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.
3/24/2005 2:09:03 PM
You're serious? The whole datawindow is nothing but a bitmap? Wouldn't
it be easier building a datawindow using native window controls instead
of painting them in a bitmap?

--
******************************
** Joost A. Bloemsma

> [...]
> DISCLAIMER:
>
> This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
> is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
> message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
> that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
> it may not.
>
> Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
> of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
> Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
> products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
> views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
> author has multiple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
> of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.
Joost
3/28/2005 9:08:02 AM
At runtime, yes, just two controls.  And it works better than using
native controls.  There's significant performance improvements with
only having to generate two controls versus dozens.  And the functions
are all there that expose the underlying controls without using the
Windows API methods.

On 28 Mar 2005 01:08:02 -0800, Joost Bloemsma
<dontspam_joost.bloemsma@dlm.nl.com_dontspam> wrote:

>You're serious? The whole datawindow is nothing but a bitmap? Wouldn't
>it be easier building a datawindow using native window controls instead
>of painting them in a bitmap?

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Using DataWindow .NET with MSDN

Seventh Annual Sybase Tools Seminar
http://seminar.powerobjects.com/

Vote for DataWindow.Net!
http://sys-con.com/dotnet/readerschoice2004/

TeamSybase blogs:
http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs

PowerBuilder Developer's Journal:
http://sys-con.com/pbdj/

Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

http://www.needhim.org

NOTE:

If you are using Google to post messages to the newsgroups, you will
*not* receive a reply.  Messages posted through Google never reach the
Sybase newsgroup server, so we don't see them in order to respond to
them.  You should post your question using a standard newsgroup reader
or the web based newsreaders at my.sybase.com or www.pfcguide.com.
Google is great for searching the Sybase newsgroups, but you can't post
to them from there.

DISCLAIMER:

This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
it may not.

Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that the
author has multiple personalities and hears voices in his head, the contents
of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.
0
Bruce
3/28/2005 2:19:15 PM
Thank you very much for your answers !

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:mf4g411t4k8nojsdb3egh32vpkdvo2pnin@4ax.com...
> At runtime, yes, just two controls.  And it works better than using
> native controls.  There's significant performance improvements with
> only having to generate two controls versus dozens.  And the functions
> are all there that expose the underlying controls without using the
> Windows API methods.
>
> On 28 Mar 2005 01:08:02 -0800, Joost Bloemsma
> <dontspam_joost.bloemsma@dlm.nl.com_dontspam> wrote:
>
>>You're serious? The whole datawindow is nothing but a bitmap? Wouldn't
>>it be easier building a datawindow using native window controls instead
>>of painting them in a bitmap?
>
> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
>
> Using DataWindow .NET with MSDN
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43031
>
> Seventh Annual Sybase Tools Seminar
> http://seminar.powerobjects.com/
>
> Vote for DataWindow.Net!
> http://sys-con.com/dotnet/readerschoice2004/
>
> TeamSybase blogs:
> http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs
>
> PowerBuilder Developer's Journal:
> http://sys-con.com/pbdj/
>
> Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder
> http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups
>
> Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
> http://www.codexchange.sybase.com
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
> Assisi
> http://www.needhim.org

> NOTE:
>
> If you are using Google to post messages to the newsgroups, you will
> *not* receive a reply.  Messages posted through Google never reach the
> Sybase newsgroup server, so we don't see them in order to respond to
> them.  You should post your question using a standard newsgroup reader
> or the web based newsreaders at my.sybase.com or www.pfcguide.com.
> Google is great for searching the Sybase newsgroups, but you can't post
> to them from there.

> DISCLAIMER:
>
> This newsgroup message is only intended for the recipient. Given that it
> is a posting to a public newsgroup, that means if you can read this
> message then you are the recipient.  This message may contain information
> that is confidential and protected from disclosure. And then again,
> it may not.
>
> Given that TeamSybase members are not employees of Sybase, the contents
> of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of
> Sybase.  Given that TeamSybase is a diverse group of users of Sybase
> products, the contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
> views of a significant number of the members of TeamSybase.  Given that
> the
> author has multiple personalities and hears voices in his head, the
> contents
> of this message do not necessarily represent his own views.

0
David

datawindow.object.datawindow.objects ?
Hi? I used this syntax in PB9, how to use in datawindow.net with C#? string ls_objects ls_objects = string(datawindow.object.datawindow.objects) I hope to get a list of the controls in the datawindow objects. TIA ..Describe("DataWindow.Objects") On 5 Jan 2006 23:30:30 -0800, "Robert" <jooong@empal.com> wrote: >Hi? > >I used this syntax in PB9, how to use in datawindow.net with C#? > >string ls_objects >ls_objects = string(datawindow.object.datawindow.objects) > >I hope to get a list of the controls in the dataw...

DataWindows and datawindow objects

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Use DataWindow Object Properties in DataWindow Object Expression
Hi all, Can I make use of the properties of objects in the expression? For example, can I set an expression in COLUMN_A's color property which reference the color property of COLUMN_B. I don't know how to access properties in expressions. Can anyone help me? Thanks. Alex You can use the Describe() function. Alex wrote in message <362D543F.F34B5F33@hotmail.com>... >Hi all, > Can I make use of the properties of objects in the expression? >For example, can I set an expression in COLUMN_A's color property which >reference the color property of...

Window handle of a column control inside a datawindow object ?
Hi, PowerBuilder Script function Handle( ) can return the window handle of a window control. But while I use this function on a column control inside a datawindow object, it return 0 For example : Handle(dw_1.object.old_buyer) return 0 It is not a valid window handle. How can we get the window handle of this type of object ? There is no handle to get, really -- a DataWindow is nothing but a big bitmap w/ a floating edit control on top (great patent). What exactly are you trying to accomplish? There are API calls you can make, bu...

Windows handle of a PowerBuilder object in WINDOW XP
Hi all, I have powerbuilder application. In the pb code flow if handle(w_win) >0 then //message end if ; When I try to run an executable version of my PB application in windows xp operating system, I am getting following error message and application crash. Error text = Unresolvable external w_win when linking reference. "handle" function support windows XP operating system ? Thanks Leela ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Sure does. pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-)) Philip Salgannik ...

Help!!! Assign Datawindow into Datawindow object
Usually I used to assign a datawindow (dw_train) in a datawindow object (dw_1) in a window is go to propertise of datawindow object and browse for datawindow. My Question:- How to this action into pb script? If you want to assign datawindow 'd_my_dw' to a dw control dw_1 in your script, you would say dw_1.DataObject = 'd_my_dw' If you are going to make an executable, do not forget to include d_my_dw in your resource file. On Fri, 04 Dec 1998 07:34:37 -0500, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript CKS21 <cks21@tm.net.my> wrote: >Usually I used to...

Converting datawindow objects to datawindow .Net
Hi, Can someone please list the various methods we can use to convert the standard datawindow object to a datawindow .net object ? Thanks, Sanjay I'm lost. There's no conversion necessary. PB and DW.Net use the same datawindow objects. On 19 Feb 2007 17:46:15 -0800, Converting wrote: >Hi, > >Can someone please list the various methods we can use to >convert the standard datawindow object to a datawindow .net >object ? > >Thanks, > >Sanjay Thanks Bruce. I probably confused you but good to know that we can modify the datawin...

Binding DataWindow object to DataWindow control
When we create a datawindow object we can bind it to datawindow control which actually i dont know to do, so i have dragged and dropped the objects onto a window then the source code generated is something like this dw_window is my window dw_1 is datawindow object on the window forward global type dw_window from window end type type st_1 from statictext within dw_window end type type dw_1 from datawindow within dw_window end type end forward What this line of code specify? type dw_1 from datawindow within dw_window Is it that by dragging and dropping it automatically cr...

Describe("DataWindow.Objects") Functionality for Report DataWindow object Doesn't Work
Hello there. I want to change the nested report object(s) attributes. I had used Describe() function to get objects -("DataWindow.Objects"). After removing the tab spaces I was able to get the object name within that DW. By checking the Attributes -(ls_obj + ".Attributes") I came to know by finding "nested_argument" that the current object is (nested) report. Now if I assigned this object to the DDDWChild/Any variable it gives error either at compilation or at run time. If I created a datastore locally & assigned the dataobject of the current ...

Error in putting datawindow object in datawindow control
When I choose dataobject from the Datawindow Control's Property Tab and save, Powerbuilder always crashes. If I restart PowerBuilder, the dataobject is already saved. Could anybody help me??? Same thing happend to me in previous version of 902 7509 <Rachel> wrote in message news:418669eb.61f4.1681692777@sybase.com... > When I choose dataobject from the Datawindow Control's > Property Tab and save, Powerbuilder always crashes. If I > restart PowerBuilder, the dataobject is already saved. > Could anybody help me??? ...

Reference a datawindow object (nested report) in a datawindow
Is it possible to reference a datawindow object in a datawindow? My scenario : I have a datawindow (composite) which holds another datawindow (nested report). This child datawindow has a OLE ActiveX object which I am trying to access from the window which holds the composite datawindow. The reason for this is because I need to access the ActiveX properties/functions after the composite datawindow have been retrieved. I've tried to get a reference to the child datawindow : //DataWindowChild dwc_activex dw1.getchild("dw_activex", dwc_activex) But as datawi...

external datawindows, ole objects and a composite datawindow
I have 5 external datawindows that I will use for printing an enrollment form. Two are purely legal text that I am using an ole(word doc) for, one will be populated using embedded sql and setitem calls, and the other two are a combination of ole and external columns. Questions: 1. Does the normal process of dw_control.settransobject dw_control.retrieve work for ole based datawindows? 2. If this is the right approach, then do I "retrieve" the ole datawindows and populate my other datawindows first and then 3. retrieve the composite datawindow for preview and print ...

Web resources about - DataWindow Object window handle - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo