Column Change in Datawindow

If the length of a column in a database is changed, it is required that
you drop the column and then add it again.  Or you can export the
datawindow, change the length of the column to the new length and then
import it.

My question is:  when the length changes, let's say from varchar 60 to
varchar 80, will the original length of 60 be displayed in the
properties of the column (I have noticed this, but I am not sure if it
happens by default)?

I ask because our client recently informed us of a description that
exceeds 60 and we have made the db change to reflect 80.  Unfortunately,
this description is found in 100+ datawindows (*sigh*) and I am looking
for a quick way to determine whether the datawindow fix has been made or
not.  I would prefer testing each datawindow separately, but the amount
of time to set up criteria for this is ridiculous (a good portion of the
datawindows are reports with fairly lengthy SQL statements).

Any information would be helpful.  Thanks in advance!

--
Anthony D. Bainbridge, PowerBuilder Developer
DMR Consulting Group Inc.

Direct Phone: (506) 444-3603
Main Office Phone: (506) 451-9820
Fax: (506) 451-9821

http://www.dmr.com
http://listen.to/adb

179 Days until January 01, 2000

0
Anthony

In Advanced Powerbuilder Utilities (comes with enterprice) there is a tool
syncronize extended attributes. It also handles the length (or in general)
data type changes. It lists the dw's in the liblist, and almost
automatically changes your dws.

Anthony D. Bainbridge wrote:

> If the length of a column in a database is changed, it is required that
> you drop the column and then add it again.  Or you can export the
> datawindow, change the length of the column to the new length and then
> import it.
>
> My question is:  when the length changes, let's say from varchar 60 to
> varchar 80, will the original length of 60 be displayed in the
> properties of the column (I have noticed this, but I am not sure if it
> happens by default)?
>
> I ask because our client recently informed us of a description that
> exceeds 60 and we have made the db change to reflect 80.  Unfortunately,
> this description is found in 100+ datawindows (*sigh*) and I am looking
> for a quick way to determine whether the datawindow fix has been made or
> not.  I would prefer testing each datawindow separately, but the amount
> of time to set up criteria for this is ridiculous (a good portion of the
> datawindows are reports with fairly lengthy SQL statements).
>
> Any information would be helpful.  Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Anthony D. Bainbridge, PowerBuilder Developer
> DMR Consulting Group Inc.
> 520 King Street, Suite 830
> Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, E3B 6G3
>
> Direct Phone: (506) 444-3603
> Main Office Phone: (506) 451-9820
> Fax: (506) 451-9821
>
> http://www.dmr.com
> http://listen.to/adb
>
> 179 Days until January 01, 2000

0
SDLC

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

datawindow.column.count not returning the column count of a datawindow
I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a datawindow. It just started happening with PB 6.501 and still works fine in PB 5.0. The function that looks at this property is in an ancestor userobject. The dataobject is assigned at this point but all other properties of the datawindow are missing. Any suggestions? Don't recall, but was it still dwDescribe() in version 5.0? If it was that may be your problem. HTH Kent Montgomery wrote: > I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a > datawindow. It just started happenin...

Changing DataWindows to match changed columns in Database
All, I have 3 columns in my Database that are being changed from integer to numeric(6,1) . I want to change all occurrences of these columns in Datawindows to the new datatype. I tried DWEAS but it did nothing. I am running PB 6.0 under Win NT 3.51. Is there a patch for DWEAS under NT ? Thank You, Rob Rambusch B4arnaclesNOSPAM@aol.com ...

How changing a datawindow attached in a datawindow control ?
Hi, I would like to set a datawindow object in a datawindow control dinamically. So I did: dw_control1.DataObject = 'dw_object1' The code doesn't work right when I have a EXE. Someone could help me ? Thanks, Alvason Uberl�ndia - Minas Gerais - Brazil I suspect that the dataobject ('dw_object1', the actual datawindow that you painted in the datawindow painter) is not being compiled into the .exe file, since its only reference is the string 'dw_object1'. If this is the case, you need to compile the executable with a .PBR file that include...

Hide datawindow column in html datawindow
Is there anyway I can hide a datawindow column in the generated html? I can't make the visible property to false because doing that will not generate the column. I want the column with type as hidden in generated javascript. -Hitesh I don't think this is in the works for the next release but I know of several people who have mentioned it in the past. Try adding an enhancement request (I think you can do this through my.sybase.com). steve [TeamSybase] Hitesh Patel wrote: > > Is there anyway I can hide a datawindow column in the generated html? I > can&...

DataWindow.NET
I'm using DataWindow.NET 1.5.1 9004 on a Windows XP Professional SP 2 machine with the latest Microsoft Update patches. The release notes indicate that change request 385532 is corrected. However, if I configure my computer to use a Windows XP theme the border does not render as expected; a blue bordered box is displayed. If I configure my computer to use a Windows Classic theme the border is rendered as expected. Is there something else I need to do to get the datawindow object column borders to render correctly when using a Windows XP theme? Ken Are you using 3D Lower...

Changing Datawindow columns
Hi, Someone knows how to change the column�s name of datawindow dynamicaly? Thanks in advance Paulo, What would be the purpose of this? Austin "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho" <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote in message news:3f37cc8a@forums-2-dub... > Hi, Someone knows how to change the column�s name of datawindow dynamicaly? > > Thanks in advance > > I doubt there is a way to do this directly. More than likely, you will need to destroy the existing object and add it back (do not forget to save the attributes of the destroyed column). ...

Datawindow Column Change
Hi, I am setting a value inside a column (not TYPING) using SETITEM. Is there any event on the datawindow which gets fired after the value is set on the column thanks, no. ItemChanged fires to let the program know the user changed the data. If you coded a SetItem, the program already knows the data was changed. Best practice is to put the code that needs to run after a data change in a function or user event and fire it both from the ItemChanged event and after the SetItem. Philip_Salgannik wrote in message <18289E1E7FFEB774006A759885256B97.00699E5D85256B97@w...

datawindow column changes...
I have a datawindow with a cloumn displayed as a checkbox. Now there's a table with reasons why someone showed or did not show up. From this table a made two datasources, one with the reasons a person showed up, and one with the reasons they didn't show up. When the checkbox is checked the user can select in the next column (dddw) why the person showd up. if the checkbox is not checked the next column has the dddw with a datasource with the reasons a person did not show up. Now if i filled in a few persons en later on i open the datawindow again to change things, if i unche...

How we can change control from one column to specific column in datawindow
How we can change control from one column to specific column in datawindow programatically. Let's suppoose there are three column in datawindow 1: Name 2: address 3: Phone when we open the window, Tab or Cursor is on column 1 (Name) now i have one button ...i want to write code in that button...when i click that button control or tab or cursor goto the phone column. Please somebody tell me how i can do this... thanks noaman mughal SetColumn. -- Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com Two new books on developing with PowerBuilder http://www.pb9...

How I can change the background colour of columns in a datawindow when focus changes
I have columns in a datawindow.I want to know ,during data entry, how I can change the background colour of column when the focus is in a particular column and how I can change to column actual colour when focus change from that column.Once the datawindow is saved Iam making all the columns grey. Thanks CID ...

changing datawindow connection is breaking my datawindow SQL
Hi I have had to move a number of datawindows from Oracle 9i running on a windows 2003 to Oracle 9i on AIX 4.3.3 (which is also on a private network, and requires a VPN to connect to). In the datawindow designer, I have also had to change the database interface from O90 Oracle 9i to an ODBC datasource (because I was not able to connect). In doing so, I have had to graphically re-create all the DW SQL again because I get this error: Table "XYZ" has no columns, possible invalid table format. Do you want to continue in graphic mode? If I select "NO", the SQL is...

DataWindow ColType is wrong in DataWindow Object, how do I change it?
Problem: rows = dw_1.Retrieve() crashes (returns -1) I know why it's doing it but I can't fix it. Here is what I have found. Initially I created a DataWindow Object called d_geninfo which saves data to the GENINFO table. Then, some months later, I changed the HOMEOWNER column in the GENINFO table from Char(1) to Char(16) and I created a second DataWindow Object d_geninfo_preferred that accesses the same GENINFO table. If I save data using d_geninfo_preferred that is more than 1 character long and I later retrieve it into d_geninfo it crashes. Now the goofy part. I...

Web resources about - Column Change in Datawindow - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo