Best datawindow to be sent as an email (within body or attachment)?

What is the best datawindow to use to be incorporated within
an email message either as an attachment or within the body
of the email message?  I am using PB 10.5.  I have a
composite datawindow that contains within it report
datawindows that do not convert to html to be included in an
email message.  I have tried using saveas to html.  I may
have to write a new datawindow in a different type to
support saving to html for porting in an email note.  The
datawindow I am trying to get converted contains checkboxes.
0
Clint

Composite DWs never export anything helpful with SaveAs, regardless of your
format.

Also, how are you thinking of including them in an email? SaveAs only saves
the unformatted data, even in a simple (non-composite) DW, and so doesn't
give great results. (HTML Table is the exception.) I guess it depends on
whether the email receipient wants to be able to work with the data, or to
see the report. If it's to see the report, send them a PDF of the report.

Clint wrote in news:4cffa7f5.584f.1681692777@sybase.com:

> What is the best datawindow to use to be incorporated within
> an email message either as an attachment or within the body
> of the email message?  I am using PB 10.5.  I have a
> composite datawindow that contains within it report
> datawindows that do not convert to html to be included in an
> email message.  I have tried using saveas to html.  I may
> have to write a new datawindow in a different type to
> support saving to html for porting in an email note.  The
> datawindow I am trying to get converted contains checkboxes.

---------------------------
Dan Cooperstock
DONATION web site: http://www.Software4Nonprofits.com
DONATION Support forums: http://forums.Software4Nonprofits.com
Email: mailto:info@Software4Nonprofits.com
Phone: 416-423-7722
0
Dan
12/8/2010 5:20:08 PM
They just want to see the report.  Does saving as a PDF
retain any formatting from the datawindow?

> Composite DWs never export anything helpful with SaveAs,
> regardless of your  format.
>
> Also, how are you thinking of including them in an email?
> SaveAs only saves  the unformatted data, even in a simple
> (non-composite) DW, and so doesn't  give great results.
> (HTML Table is the exception.) I guess it depends on
> whether the email receipient wants to be able to work with
> the data, or to  see the report. If it's to see the report
> , send them a PDF of the report.
>
> Clint wrote in news:4cffa7f5.584f.1681692777@sybase.com:
>
> > What is the best datawindow to use to be incorporated
> > within an email message either as an attachment or
> > within the body of the email message?  I am using PB
> > 10.5.  I have a composite datawindow that contains
> > within it report datawindows that do not convert to html
> > to be included in an email message.  I have tried using
> > saveas to html.  I may have to write a new datawindow in
> > a different type to support saving to html for porting
> > in an email note.  The datawindow I am trying to get
> > converted contains checkboxes.
>
> ---------------------------
> Dan Cooperstock
> DONATION web site: http://www.Software4Nonprofits.com
> DONATION Support forums:
> http://forums.Software4Nonprofits.com Email:
> mailto:info@Software4Nonprofits.com Phone: 416-423-7722
0
Clint
12/8/2010 6:02:02 PM
Yes, SaveAs PDF saves report layout exactly.

-- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
http://casexpress.sybase.com

"Clint" wrote in message news:4cffc81a.600b.1681692777@sybase.com...

They just want to see the report.  Does saving as a PDF
retain any formatting from the datawindow?

> Composite DWs never export anything helpful with SaveAs,
> regardless of your  format.
>
> Also, how are you thinking of including them in an email?
> SaveAs only saves  the unformatted data, even in a simple
> (non-composite) DW, and so doesn't  give great results.
> (HTML Table is the exception.) I guess it depends on
> whether the email receipient wants to be able to work with
> the data, or to  see the report. If it's to see the report
> , send them a PDF of the report.
>
> Clint wrote in news:4cffa7f5.584f.1681692777@sybase.com:
>
> > What is the best datawindow to use to be incorporated
> > within an email message either as an attachment or
> > within the body of the email message?  I am using PB
> > 10.5.  I have a composite datawindow that contains
> > within it report datawindows that do not convert to html
> > to be included in an email message.  I have tried using
> > saveas to html.  I may have to write a new datawindow in
> > a different type to support saving to html for porting
> > in an email note.  The datawindow I am trying to get
> > converted contains checkboxes.
>
> ---------------------------
> Dan Cooperstock
> DONATION web site: http://www.Software4Nonprofits.com
> DONATION Support forums:
> http://forums.Software4Nonprofits.com Email:
> mailto:info@Software4Nonprofits.com Phone: 416-423-7722
0
Terry
12/8/2010 6:15:25 PM
The SaveAs PDF option does indeed save formatting.  I tried
the following code as a test (it writes the PDF directly to
printer instead of saving it to a file):

dw_header.Object.DataWindow.Export.PDF.Method = XSLFOP!
dw_header.Object.DataWindow.Export.PDF.xslfop.print='Yes'
li_ret = dw_header.SaveAs("printed.pdf", PDF!, true)

And it worked beautifully!  However, I found out that our
email service only supports attached HTML, not PDFs or any
other attachment (we are looking into other options, but I
need an HTML solution now).  I might look further into the
HTMLtable option on my composite DW, as that sounds like it
retains formatting.   I am open to other ideas.  Thanks for
all of the quick responses.  The PDF solution would have
been a quick one!

> Yes, SaveAs PDF saves report layout exactly.
>
> -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
> http://casexpress.sybase.com
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> "Clint" wrote in message
>
> They just want to see the report.  Does saving as a PDF
> retain any formatting from the datawindow?
>
> > Composite DWs never export anything helpful with SaveAs,
> > regardless of your  format.
> >
> > Also, how are you thinking of including them in an
> > email? SaveAs only saves  the unformatted data, even in
> > a simple (non-composite) DW, and so doesn't  give great
> > results. (HTML Table is the exception.) I guess it
> > depends on whether the email receipient wants to be able
> > to work with the data, or to  see the report. If it's to
> > see the report , send them a PDF of the report.
> >
> > Clint wrote in news:4cffa7f5.584f.1681692777@sybase.com:
> >
> > > What is the best datawindow to use to be incorporated
> > > within an email message either as an attachment or
> > > within the body of the email message?  I am using PB
> > > 10.5.  I have a composite datawindow that contains
> > > within it report datawindows that do not convert to
> > > html to be included in an email message.  I have tried
> > > using saveas to html.  I may have to write a new
> > > datawindow in a different type to support saving to
> > > html for porting in an email note.  The datawindow I
> > > am trying to get converted contains checkboxes.
> >
> > ---------------------------
> > Dan Cooperstock
> > DONATION web site: http://www.Software4Nonprofits.com
> > DONATION Support forums:
> > http://forums.Software4Nonprofits.com Email:
> > mailto:info@Software4Nonprofits.com Phone: 416-423-7722
0
Clint
12/8/2010 9:13:01 PM
Hi Clint,

Maybe one of the pdf to html converters will work for you. I haven't
tried any but a quick google search brought up some possibilities.

Good Luck!
Mark

On 12/8/2010 4:13 PM, Clint wrote:
> The SaveAs PDF option does indeed save formatting.  I tried
> the following code as a test (it writes the PDF directly to
> printer instead of saving it to a file):
>
> dw_header.Object.DataWindow.Export.PDF.Method = XSLFOP!
> dw_header.Object.DataWindow.Export.PDF.xslfop.print='Yes'
> li_ret = dw_header.SaveAs("printed.pdf", PDF!, true)
>
> And it worked beautifully!  However, I found out that our
> email service only supports attached HTML, not PDFs or any
> other attachment (we are looking into other options, but I
> need an HTML solution now).  I might look further into the
> HTMLtable option on my composite DW, as that sounds like it
> retains formatting.   I am open to other ideas.  Thanks for
> all of the quick responses.  The PDF solution would have
> been a quick one!
>
>> Yes, SaveAs PDF saves report layout exactly.
>>
>> -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
>> http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
>> http://casexpress.sybase.com
>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>>
>> "Clint" wrote in message
>>
>> They just want to see the report.  Does saving as a PDF
>> retain any formatting from the datawindow?
>>
>>> Composite DWs never export anything helpful with SaveAs,
>>> regardless of your  format.
>>>
>>> Also, how are you thinking of including them in an
>>> email? SaveAs only saves  the unformatted data, even in
>>> a simple (non-composite) DW, and so doesn't  give great
>>> results. (HTML Table is the exception.) I guess it
>>> depends on whether the email receipient wants to be able
>>> to work with the data, or to  see the report. If it's to
>>> see the report , send them a PDF of the report.

>>> ---------------------------
>>> Dan Cooperstock
>>> DONATION web site: http://www.Software4Nonprofits.com
>>> DONATION Support forums:
>>> http://forums.Software4Nonprofits.com Email:
>>> mailto:info@Software4Nonprofits.com Phone: 416-423-7722
0
Mark

DataWindow Within DataWindow

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Drop down datawindow within datawindow
I have a datawindow that is attached to a PL/SQL stored procedure that is supposed to list records. Several of the fields in the list are identified as Style DropDownDW. The intent is that for these fields there will be multiple values available by using a vertical scroll bar and arrow. For example, a record in the window might have Name Address Medical Code Medical code would also be a drop down list box with multiple values. Is there a simple way to implement this in Powerbuilder 9? What kind of PB coding constructs would be necessary? Thanks Generally, the steps are: ...

embedding a datawindow within a datawindow
Below is a sample of the format for a report I need to create. The report will display courses that may or may not be part of group, because the people running the courses can choose from all the courses available to create their own "group" of courses. Since a course may or may not be part of a group would using an embedded datawindow for the group info work? How? Can anyone point me in the right direction? The data is coming from two tables. Thanks, Kevin CourseID CourseTitle CourseTopic EnrollMax EnrollCurrent 100145A "Sample" "Sample"...

Drop down datawindow within a datawindow
I have a datawindow that is attached to a PL/SQL stored procedure that is supposed to list records. Several of the fields in the list are identified as Style DropDownDW. The intent is that for these fields there will be multiple values available by using a vertical scroll bar and arrow. For example, a record in the window might have Name Address Medical Code Medical code would also be a drop down list box with multiple values. Is there a simple way to implement this in Powerbuilder 9? What kind of PB coding constructs would be necessary? Thanks Please post this question ...

How changing a datawindow attached in a datawindow control ?
Hi, I would like to set a datawindow object in a datawindow control dinamically. So I did: dw_control1.DataObject = 'dw_object1' The code doesn't work right when I have a EXE. Someone could help me ? Thanks, Alvason Uberl�ndia - Minas Gerais - Brazil I suspect that the dataobject ('dw_object1', the actual datawindow that you painted in the datawindow painter) is not being compiled into the .exe file, since its only reference is the string 'dw_object1'. If this is the case, you need to compile the executable with a .PBR file that include...

Getting datawindow Properties from within datawindow??
PB7.0.3 hi, i would like to create a custom userObject uo_myDW that inherits from DataWindow and stuff some default behaviour into it. For a new app i'm writing, i need a pile of input windows, all sharing the same functionality. I'd like to build uo_myDW so that in incorporates all standard 'inputDW-behaviour'. Here 's what i want to do For one of these functionalities mentioned above, i need the collection of uo_myDW's columns that are 'Tab-able' (have a tabindex > 0), and store them in a instance var ids_DWColumns for future reference. ...

Nested datawindow within a nested datawindow
I have a report, that contains a datawindow, which itself contains a datawindow. Everything is working fine until the number of retrieved lines get's over about 1100 primary and over about 3200 retrieved nested lines. Although the task manager (I'm using Powerbuilder 7.0.3 on Windows 2000) shows me, that there is still enough free memory, the data retrieval stops and Powerbuilder (or the application which called the Retrieve() method) ends itself without any error message. That allways happens when the datawindow has allocated about 70 MB of virtual memory. (About 99% of those ...

Best Practices in Application Design
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C88077.75CD6E00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We have a minor, what shall I call it, philosophical difference of = opinion (was that PC enough) within our development group about how to = best interface with the database while performing inserts, updates, = deletes, etc.=20 One of our developers creates custom classes for each Table in our = database. Each class has UPDATE, DELETE, INSERT, and GET functions. = There are NO Datawindows...

Populating a column with a dropdown datawindow within a datawindow.
I have a datawindow which contains two fields. One is named "customer_name" and the other is "job_siteno". these fields are contained in two different tables which are related by a foreign key column "cust_id". Both of these columns have a DDDW edit control. When I select the customer name I want to then have the "job_siteno" column populated with all the site numbers related to this particular customer. I would then be able to select the site number from the DDDW edit control. Selecting the customer number is no problem. My problem is that th...

Altering data within datawindow when datawindow in querymode
Hello all I have this datawindow which has a field called ISBN, I have set this datawindow in querymode and I need to scan in the ISBN numbers into the DW for retrieval. The problem is that I only need the string from third position to the tenth position, mid(isbn, 3, 10). In itemchange event I am unable to change this field as its get inputed. In another word, I need to alter this field before the 'Where' clause is set for querymode to get executed. dw_isbn.object.querymode='N' dw_isbn.accepttext() dw_isbn.retrieve() I tried to change the data of this field...

Embedded DataWindow within the new HTML DataWindow
Hi All, Does the new HTML datawindow support embedded HTML datawindows? Thanks. Andy Egleston In a word, no. Here's an extract from an upcoming article I wrote for PBDJ on the HTMLDW and the presentation styles it supports: Presentation Style Report (non-updateable) Form (updateable) ================== ======================= ================= Composite No (HTMLDW not supported) No (HTMLDW not supported) Cross-tab Yes No (cannot set tab order) Freeform Yes Yes Graph ...

nested datawindow within another nested datawindow?
I was trying to create a report which has a nested datawindow within another nested datawindow, and PB didn't seem to go for this... got memory errors. Is this even possible? I searched all of the usual resources and couldn't find anything about this... maybe they assumed nobody would be dumb enough to try. thanks, Pat It is perfectly legal to have multiple levels of nested reports. However, nesting isn't supported for certain DW types like grid and n-up. Try testing your DWs on their own to ensure that they work properly. Then nest them one at a time and try to i...

Web resources about - Best datawindow to be sent as an email (within body or attachment)? - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo