Any way to get the parent of a child datawindow in a composite datawindow?

Using PB 8.0.3 9704 on Win2K.

I have a DataWindowChild that came from a GetChild() call for a composite
datawindow.  At runtime, I don't "know" what composite datawindow is the
parent of the child datawindow.

Any ideas on how to get this information?

I tried DataWindowChild.GetParent().  Compiles fine and "Help" says this
should work, but all I get is a null object reference.

Thanks in advance...
0
cjharris

Is this a problem with a poorly designed function signature?
Succesfull GetChild call could ONLY have been done with having a reference
to the datawindow control containing the composite dataobject (or right in
that control).
So, the only way to "figure out" the parent of the report in the composite
from the datawindowchild reference is to have the reference to the parent
control passed to the function that deals with the child.
0
Philip_Salgannik

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Datawindows with child datawindows

I will print two datawindow in one page,and I use child datawindow.One master datawindow (dw_master)with two child datawindow(dc1 and dc2)
dw_master("dw_dc1",dc1) dw_master("dw_dc2",dc2) dc1 has a argument (arg1) dc2 has a argument (arg2) Arg1 and Arg2 are send by one column of dw_master. When I use retrieve() function,the datawindow can display normal,but when I print preview or use Zoom or printsetup() ,the childdatawindow dc2 can't display but dc1 normal! Why?? Thanks for your help! I'm having trouble understanding your question. Is this a composite or nested datawindow? On Mon, 6 May 2002 22:49:23 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow spark <fenfei79@hot...

Getting Datawindow name from datawindow child variable
Hi ! I want to get the datawindow (name) from a datawindowchild variable. But, the dwc has no way to get it. I want the code like this : datawindowchild dwc dw_1.getchild("colname", dwc) dw_2.dataobject = dwc.dataobject -------------- -> X In the above code, "dw_1.object.colname.dddw.name" is what I want. But, from the "dwc", I can't know that. Please, help! thx. You're correct. There is no way to get the datawindow name from the datawindow child, you have to ask the paren...

GetObjectAtPointer() returns wrong child datawindow in composite datawindow
PB 7.0.3 Build 10077 I have a composite datawindow that contains a number of child datawindows. When I click in the composite dw I want the name of the child datawindow to be returned. It doesn't seem that the GetObjectAtPointer() function corresponds with the position being clicked in the composite dw. The problem is that the child datawindows will be of varying heights depending on number of rows in each datawindow. How can I make sure that when I click in the composite datawindow, the correct name of the child datawindow is being returned. Here is an excerpt of the code t...

Datawindow Syntax (Composit Datawindow)
Would you help me to create datawindow layout for the report of composite datawindow from DWsyntax at runtime? ...

copying datawindows to a composite datawindow
hi, I have a window with 3 different dw-reports. The problem I have is that one of the windows can be modify by the user, therefore if I include the updatable dw in the composite it will not reflect the latest information. How can I make sure I that when the updatable dw is changed, the changes are reflected in the composite also. Do I have to copy the dw and if so how can I do that, or is there an easier way to do that. Thanks Jose In article <35B4BC1A.DCF5FD47@cs.fiu.edu>, joband02@cs.fiu.edu says... > hi, I have a window with 3 different dw-reports. The problem I have ...

Properties of a datawindow on a composite datawindow
I have a composite report that has 2 nested datawindows. At run time, I want to modify the dataobject of one of the nested datawindows on the report. I am using the GetChild function to get a reference to the nested datawindow on the report. Here's the code I am using. dw_maintain_code is the nested datawindow on dw_composite. li_rtn = dw_composite.GetChild("dw_maintain_code",ldw_child1) //get reference ls_rtn = ldw_child1.Modify('dw_maintain_code.dataobject = d_code_sync') li_rtn = dw_code_type_list.ShareData(ldw_child1) The Modify returns an empty str...

accessing datawindow in composite datawindow
Hi All, I have a composite datawindow d_comp having two datawindow d_first and d_second. Using code, i want to save the content of the d_first and d_second datawindow content txt format. Is it possible to save the content using saveasascii or saveas function ?? i was trying to use dw_comp.object.d_first.saveasascii(ls_temptxfile,"~t","","~n") but getting error... Thanks . -Brijesh Hi, if that is really a composite datawindow you should be able to get a reference to d_first and d_second using getChild(). You get a DataWindowChild which impl...

ole datawindows and composite datawindow
I have 5 external datawindows that I will use for printing an enrollment form. Two are purely legal text that I am using an ole(word doc) for, one will be populated using embedded sql and setitem calls, and the other two are a combination of ole and external columns. Questions: 1. Does the normal process of dw_control.settransobject dw_control.retrieve work for ole based datawindows? 2. If this is the right approach, then do I "retrieve" the ole datawindows and populate my other datawindows first and then 3. retrieve the composite datawindow for preview and print ...

External Datawindow in a Composite Datawindow
Hi All I have a question. Can I use an extrernal datawindow in a composite datawindow? If yes, how do we access its properties. The specific problem is that I want to combine two dws. One is generated externally and the other is a simple tabular dw coming from a db. If I try to use getchild() then I do not have columns for get child. I am using PB 7.0.3 on Windows 2000 Server with MS SQL Server. Thanks. Sincerely Saleem > Can I use an extrernal datawindow in a composite datawindow? If yes, how do we > access its properties. ldw_dw.object.r_pumpputyyppi.object...

Child datawindows (Nested DataWindows)
Hello all...I was wondering... I have used Child Datawindows for quite some time under PB9.03. These are invaluable when a user is in the Parent DataWindow and must choose a value from a list of choices provided by the Child DataWindow. The kind of Child DataWindow I am talking about is a DropDownDataWindow (DDDW). This is the only kind I have ever used. I was simply wondering whether there are more kinds of Child DataWindows other than the DDDW? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:) The next most popular use is of child DWs within Composite Presentation Style parents. Nested ...

how can I get or set property to a graph datawindow in a composite datawindow?
I make a composite style datawindow. There is a graph style datawindow in it. I can't get or set the graph style datawindow 's property like title, values.label and or so. the graph style datawindow 's datasource is extern data. I do it like this: datawindow dw_child dw_composite.getchild('graph', dw_child) dw_child.object.gr_1.title = 'hello' It failed! then I use this datastore ds_1 ds_1 = create datastore ds_1.dataobject = 'data_graph' ds_1.object.gr_1.title = 'hello' datawindow dw_child dw_composite.getchild('grap...

Web resources about - Any way to get the parent of a child datawindow in a composite datawindow? - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo