Add datawindow control for master datawindow #2

Hi,
I hope you dont't mind an newbie question here. I am following the
tutorial of the Getting Started PB5 manual and I am stuck in chapter 8
"Building Ancestor Windows". Here are the steps:
1. I create a new window ( a master/detail window)and want to add a
control to be the master DataWindow in the applic.
2. I select the UserObj button and choose TUTOR_PB.PBL
3. When I click OK the manual tells me to click in the upper left corner
but nothing happens: there is already a blanc window visible, which I
can't move with the mouse.
4. I select Properties. The name of the Properties dialog box is
"Datawindow", not "Datawindow inherited from u_dwstandard" as it should
be according to the manual.
Now I can't change the Name field "u_dwstandard" to "dw_master" for
instance.
In step 3 when I click "Inherit" instead of "OK" I get the same result.
If someone could point me in the right direction ?? Thanks very much.
Regards,
marc

0
Marc
4/29/1999 8:45:25 AM
📁 sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow
📃 28057 articles.
⭐ 5 followers.

💬 1 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 982 Views

It sounds like you have selected the user object painter from the top
toolbar instead of user object button from the drop down toolbar on
the window toolbar (does that make sense?). This is a common trap for
young players.
You need to click on the drop down toolbar button directly to the
right of the save toolbar button on the window painter toolbar. Look
for the user object icon on the drop down and click on it. Then select
the DataWindow user object, click OK, and click on the window to place
the DataWindow control user object.
Regards,
Dave Fish [Team Powersoft]
On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:45:25 +0200, Marc Fleureck
<dg3help@cmlag.fgov.be> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I hope you dont't mind an newbie question here. I am following the
>tutorial of the Getting Started PB5 manual and I am stuck in chapter 8
>"Building Ancestor Windows". Here are the steps:
>
>1. I create a new window ( a master/detail window)and want to add a
>control to be the master DataWindow in the applic.
>2. I select the UserObj button and choose TUTOR_PB.PBL
>3. When I click OK the manual tells me to click in the upper left corner
>but nothing happens: there is already a blanc window visible, which I
>can't move with the mouse.
>4. I select Properties. The name of the Properties dialog box is
>"Datawindow", not "Datawindow inherited from u_dwstandard" as it should
>be according to the manual.
>
>Now I can't change the Name field "u_dwstandard" to "dw_master" for
>instance.
>
>In step 3 when I click "Inherit" instead of "OK" I get the same result.
>
>If someone could point me in the right direction ?? Thanks very much.
>
>Regards,
>marc

0
dfish