Add Column to External DW at Runtime

Hi,

Does anyone know how to add a column to an external DW at runtime?  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

0
Mike

     Yes, but it gets a little complicated.  What you can do is export the
datawindow to syntax, and use the syntax to rebuild (dw_1.create) the
datawindow at runtime, adding statements to add columns.  Be careful
though,  you need to check that the new syntax is right.  I wrote an
article demonstrating an offshoot of this on the fly datawindow technique,
and you can downlaod the .pbl (it might be a little outdated, bu twhat the
heck) at :

http://www.planetdx.com/powerbuilder/powerbuilder.htm

     ALthough it was intended to solve another problem, how I create the
datawindow is the same method you would use.  You are just adding new
columns where I was changiong format.  Let me knwo if this helps.

- Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
www.planetdx.com
0
Joe_Slawsky
5/2/2002 4:22:46 PM
Why can't you get, extend, and modify DataWindow.Table to add the column to
the buffers, and then use Modify ('create...') to add the visual column?

Joe_Slawsky wrote in message
<1344865B7F75DF6C0059F9D085256BAD.0051BCA185256BAD@webforums>...
>     Yes, but it gets a little complicated.  What you can do is export the
>datawindow to syntax, and use the syntax to rebuild (dw_1.create) the
>datawindow at runtime, adding statements to add columns.  Be careful
>though,  you need to check that the new syntax is right.  I wrote an
>article demonstrating an offshoot of this on the fly datawindow technique,
>and you can downlaod the .pbl (it might be a little outdated, bu twhat the
>heck) at :
>
>http://www.planetdx.com/powerbuilder/powerbuilder.htm
>
>     ALthough it was intended to solve another problem, how I create the
>datawindow is the same method you would use.  You are just adding new
>columns where I was changiong format.  Let me knwo if this helps.
>
>- Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
>www.planetdx.com

0
Jerry
5/2/2002 6:01:50 PM
Joe,

I tried to open your .pbl but PB was giving me an error.

Also, how do I export the datawindow OBJECT to syntax?

Thanks,
Mike
0
Mike
5/2/2002 8:57:29 PM
I figured out how to convert the DataObject to syntax (LibraryExport
function).

Getting the 'table' portion of the syntax will be rough.

Thanks,
Mike
0
Mike
5/2/2002 9:14:23 PM
In a script, Describe ('Datawindow.Syntax')
Then Pos ('table(', 1) should do the trick for the start of it. I think you
will have to count ( and ) to find the closing ) so you can slip in the
additional column=(type=...).
You may want to export an external datawindow to see what the syntax looks
like.

Mike wrote in message ...
>I figured out how to convert the DataObject to syntax (LibraryExport
>function).
>
>Getting the 'table' portion of the syntax will be rough.
>
>Thanks,
>Mike

0
Jerry
5/2/2002 9:40:14 PM
Has anyone tried add adding a column to a rte datawindow at runtime.
I normally use gdw_1.modify ("create column(band=foreground id=1 ...etc ")
for freeform/grid reports.
I can't find a standard for rich text datawindows though.
Any ideas
Thanks
Mick
"Jerry Siegel" <jerrys@data-sci.com.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> In a script, Describe ('Datawindow.Syntax')
> Then Pos ('table(', 1) should do the trick for the start of it. I think
you
> will have to count ( and ) to find the closing ) so you can slip in the
> additional column=(type=...).
> You may want to export an external datawindow to see what the syntax looks
> like.
>
> Mike wrote in message ...
> >I figured out how to convert the DataObject to syntax (LibraryExport
> >function).
> >
> >Getting the 'table' portion of the syntax will be rough.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Mike

0
sybase

Is it possible to add a column to an external datawindow at runtime...?
Hi All, Is it possible to dynamically add a new column to an external datawindow at runtime...? Thanks in advance for your response. Jein. Yes, but it's ugly. As I recall, you have to replace the DataWindow.Table attribute as a whole to make a place in the buffer, as well as adding the visible attributes of the column and any label. Look at an export of an existing DW to see what you need to do. Jeinutheen Mohamed wrote in message <42F0VrIdCHA.278@forums.sybase.com>... >Hi All, > >Is it possible to dynamically add a new column to an external data...

Add a column to the datawindow at runtime

ADD COLUMNS EXTERNAL DW
Is it possible to insert one or x colum(s) (not database column but a row) into an external DW for a script. If so, what is the dot notation syntax to do it? Thank you. Alexandra. In article <36DD6F63.ADCBEF74@axnet.fr>, cericvis@axnet.fr says... > > Is it possible to insert one or x colum(s) (not database column but a > row) into an external DW for a script. > > If so, what is the dot notation syntax to do it? > > Thank you. > Alexandra. > > > long lRow lRow = dw_1.insertrow(0) dw_1.object.columnname[lRow] = data I...

Add column in external DW
Hi, Does anybody know how to dynamically add columns in a DW based on external. ( in Script not painter ). On Mon, 22 Dec 1997 23:07:20 +0800, ct <ctooi@tm.net.my> wrote: >Does anybody know how to dynamically add columns in a DW based on >external. ( in Script not painter ). I haven't tried it with an external datawindow lately, but generally I use dw_x.Modify ( 'create column . . . ' ) Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS] | Source Consulting mailto:brucearm@ix.netcom.com | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com http://www.netcom.com/~brucearm/ | http://www.sourcela.c...

Add columns in external DW
Hi, Does anybody know how to add columns in a DW based on external. Thanks Raynald MESSIE (MailTo:r.messie@ltp.fr) La T�lerie Plastique France All plastics boxes you need Visit our web site�: http://www.ltp.fr Try DataWindow Painter - Design - Data Source - click on Add. Breck "Raynald MESSIE" <r.messie@ltp.fr> wrote: >Hi, >Does anybody know how to add columns in a DW based on external. >Thanks >Raynald MESSIE (MailTo:r.messie@ltp.fr) >La T�lerie Plastique >France >All plastics boxes you need >Visit our web site�: h...

How to Add additional column to external DW
Using PB 7.01 I have a datawindow with external Datasource. I have successfully created this datawindow. But now I have tried to add some columns. I can only use RMB-Menu INSERT-Row. But this automatically generates a columns with the name name_1, name_2 and so an. Is there any other possibility ? Thanks Peter Stojkovic [SMS-Eumuco} I get round this annoying problem by: 1. Add the column (called name_1) 2. Insert the column into the detail band 3. Rename the column to whatever you want 4. Delete the column from the detail band if you don't want it displayed Alterna...

How to Dynamically Add New Columns to External Datawindow
I created a basic external tabular datawindow. It has no relationship with database. Actually, the application doesn't use any database. I need to add columns to this datawindow at runtime. Could anyone show me the basic code that works. Thanks in advance David Lee ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Unfortunately, that's not so simple, since the buffer definitions are not exposed like SQL and visual columns. You will have to parse the DW syntax, and insert the new columns in the table(column= portion...

How to add column during runtime in a external data window.
Dear Sir, how to create organisation chart inpowerbuilder 8.0? their is any tool avail for powerbuilder? Else how to add external datawindow column for a datawindow? Thanks In Advance. regards Indus ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Not natively, or at least it's not one of the built in formats. You might try a third-party control to see if it will do what you want. Here's a couple popular ones: http://www.softtreetech.com/PwrGraph.htm http://www.soft-tek.com/products/grafsman/features.html O...

External DW PB7 7027 how add columns?
We're new to PB7, but have worked in 5 and 6.5. The problem is I can't add a column to the data source. Scenario: New, Form Datawindow, External Source. Add a column f1 string(255), go into dw painter and save. Now I need to add column f2 and I can't figure out what button to click to let me add a column to this datawindow. I think it should be Design/Data Source, but that never enables. Neither does the SQL toolbar button. Bug or feature? -fran Never mind, I noticed you do an insert row in the design list. -fran fran <no_fn_spam@aol.com> wrot...

Add column to grid dw
Hi everyone, I have recently migrated an application to PB 8.0.3 and I was really hoping that this behavior would be fixed. No such luck! Here is the situation. I add a column in the SQL painter for a grid style datawindow. When I close the SQL painter to return to the datawindow design painter, PB redraws the entire datawindow (instead of simply adding the new column to the far right in the detail band like it reliably does in a tabular datawindow) and thus loses all of the formatting and code that was there. ARRRGGHHH!! So what I end up doing to add a column to a grid ...

How to add a column during runtime?
I have a need to issue a change to the database - add a column to a table dynamically. This has to be done during the PB runtime (v5) via a powerscript to a SSA runtime (v5). What's the best way? TIA, YA In article <35FD5F35.1EC1@compuserve.com>, 73313.165@compuserve.com says... > I have a need to issue a change to the database - add a column to a > table dynamically. This has to be done during the PB runtime (v5) via a > powerscript to a SSA runtime (v5). What's the best way? > TIA, > YA > If your transaction object is maintaining a connection...

Datawindow add a column

External Datawindows at RunTime
PB 7.0.3 I want to create an external data object at run time... Essentially, I am trying to mirror the CrossTab Table functionality... Want to do: - Read a list of Drop List Values for any column within a table - Create a Datastore with the same number of columns. The Drop List Values are user defined... - Populate the datastore with statistical information based on user grouping. Wanting to give the user maximum flexibility (allow them to group by day/week/month/year or any multiple there in - ie, group every 2 weeks for a certain period). - Once datawindow is populated, I nee...

External Datawindow
Hi, I am currently loading a database table from an external datawindow and this is working fine when the rows are just inserted into the table. I am having a problem though on figuiring out how to tell Powerbuilder to update a row instead of inserting a new one. The following is how I do an insert. **** Get the colum Count li_column_total = Integer(lds_data.describe("Datawindow.column.count") ****Loop through and set the columns to updateable FOR ll_counter = 1 to li_column_total ls_column_name = lds_data.describe("#" + string(ll_counter) ...

add column in dw
Hi, I have made a datawindow with the Stored procedure.If I add a column in the table ,then how can I add that column in the datawindow.I tried it using column specifications by inserting a row,but nothing is retrieved in that column,or sometimes it gives error while running the report. Thanks -- Namita Goel Legacy Solutions Namita, You appear to be on the right track. You need to go to the Data Source for the datawindow and add the column. You do also need to modify the stored procedure that is the source for that DW to send that additional column in its resu...

get/setFullstate on an external DataWindow containing a DropDown dw doubles the number of rows in the dropdown datawindow
Hi, When we send a datawindow object containing 1 row and a dddw containing 5 rows to another datawindow control via get/setfullstate, the number of rows in the dddw is doubled to 10. Populating the (main) datawindow happened via an insertrow(), which caused the dddw to be retrieved automatically. Has anyone experienced the same behaviour? Thanks, Peter Annaert I saw this behavior when I had 2 different columns that used the same datawindow object for dropdowns. The workaround I used was to create a 2nd version of of the dddw dataobject, so that each column had a uniqu...

datawindow.column.count not returning the column count of a datawindow
I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a datawindow. It just started happening with PB 6.501 and still works fine in PB 5.0. The function that looks at this property is in an ancestor userobject. The dataobject is assigned at this point but all other properties of the datawindow are missing. Any suggestions? Don't recall, but was it still dwDescribe() in version 5.0? If it was that may be your problem. HTH Kent Montgomery wrote: > I am having problems with the datawindow.column.count property of a > datawindow. It just started happenin...

How do I Add Columns to DW dynamically
How do I add columns to my datawindow dynamically. I have a dw with 10 columns. I would like, during runtime, to add 2 more columns to this datawindow. I have modified the Datawindow.Table.Select property, however I am unable to use these columns in a filter on the datawindow. Any help would be appreciated. Heather You can do this with the Modify function. Look at PowerBuilders help for an example. Something like this: dw_1.Modify("Create column(....)") Brad Heather Homeniuk wrote: > How do I add columns to my datawindow dynamically. > &g...

Add lifebindings column runtime
Hello, Is it possible to add a lifebindings column runtime? The BindingsList has a TLinkGridToDataSource with the columns in it. I want to create this list runtime and adjust the columnwidth to make it fit. Thanks in advance Herman ...

add dynamicaly column to datawindow
Hi all. PB7 ans ASA 6.0 I have a datawindow with some columns. For any reasons I want to add two additional columns (f.e. before printing) and set various propertis. How can I do it? Thanks a lot. Adam. dw.Modify ( 'Create yada yada yada' ) On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:09:39 +0200, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.datawindow Adam Polech <poladam1@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Hi all. >PB7 ans ASA 6.0 > >I have a datawindow with some columns. >For any reasons I want to add two additional columns (f.e. before printing) >and set various p...

How to add a column which is not in database in a datawindow
I'd like to insert a column in a datawindo wich is not from database, it's only a value i use in the process os each row in datawindow, How i Do it? Thanks Try adding a computed column in the dw painter, select mode (SQL mode). (In the bottom you will see a tab compute) HTH "Pere Pie" <perepie@retemail.es> wrote in message news:86oVLwFFBHA.201@forums.sybase.com... > > I'd like to insert a column in a datawindo wich is not from database, it's > only a value i use in the process os each row in datawindow, How i Do it? > >...

Runtime DW column adjustments
I have a Label DW that prints few columns on to the label. However, some users want to remove those columns, move them around or change the font size of some columns in the label. Is it possible to let them modify the design at runtime, save the new DW design and use the modified DW design each time they print the new labels? Using PB 9.0 Change the design: dw.Modify() Save the design: dw.Describe ("datawindow.syntax") and save to file or database Reuse: dw.Create (syntax...) Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 4 Aug 2005 1...

Slide external DW columns up. How?
I have an external DW that has a form layout (name, address, city, state, phone, etc). The first (i.e. top) field on the form is a read-only field that contains a URL that when clicked will launch a browser. In some cases, I want the URL field hidden and want all the fields under it to move up so there's not a space at the top of the DW. I know how to hide the column, but not sure how to get all the lower fields to slide up. One option I looked at was putting it in the header, but I already have data in there and would face the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks ...

Dynamically Add DW Columns????
How can I dynamically add columns to a DW???? I have multiple sets of data from ONE field in ONE table that I need to display in separate columns in my DW, but I don't know how many or which ones till run-time. I can't use "Modify" or "SetSQLselect" because neither allows altering the number of columns. Is my only option is to create the entire DW (SQL retrieval code and all) at runtime??? --- OR --- is there any way to code it in a SELECT statement??? I can't see how cuz as I understand SQL it only use...

Web resources about - Add Column to External DW at Runtime - sybase.powerbuilder.datawindow

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
The Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances, where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Sad decline of West Indies cricket can't be arrested without external help
The great West Indian cricket dynasty of the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s produced some of the finest cricketers of the 20th century.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: WD 2TB External HDD $69, BRAVEN Bluetooth Speaker $75, Amazon Prime $73 this weekend ...
... us out on: Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 External ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

CleanMyDrive 2 for Mac makes cleaning external drives as easy as one click
... OS X 10.10 or later. It’s a free tool designed to help users monitor their hard drives and quickly clean unspecified junk files from external ...

Amazon Sale offers big savings on internal and external Samsung SSD drives
SSD drives are crucial not just for laptop performance, but also for external storage to ensure lightning-fast access to all of your files. And ...

Tencent to offer facial recognition technologies to external partners free of ...
Biometric Update Tencent to offer facial recognition technologies to external partners free of ... Biometric Update In an effort to improve ...