What do we do without PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder?

I have use PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder for more than 5 years to do all my
data modeling and maintenance of the design of my databases.  I found it a
wonderful tool.  It used to be included in the EADStudio Bundle.

Not it has been dropped and I am in a confusion as to what to do. I have
called Sybase/Power Builder about this several times and they seem even more
confused than I about what happened and what to do.

I can still use the older product but I need support for Global ID's and the
newer version of the IAnywhere database.

I can use the Physiacal Architect that comes with the IAnywhere studio - but
it is ignorant of the PowerBuild extended attributes which are stored in the
physical database - so if I use the tool to modify the database, it drops
the extended attributes and they are not replaceable or stroed in the tool.

Does anybody have a good solution for storing and restoring the extended
attributes?

0
Glenn

It has been dropped from PowerBuilder CD, but it is still sold as a separate
product.
Last version is 9.5

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:39:02 -0800,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database
Glenn Barber <GABarber@msn.com> wrote:
>I have use PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder for more than 5 years to do all my
>data modeling and maintenance of the design of my databases.  I found it a
>wonderful tool.  It used to be included in the EADStudio Bundle.
>
>Not it has been dropped and I am in a confusion as to what to do. I have
>called Sybase/Power Builder about this several times and they seem even more
>confused than I about what happened and what to do.
>
>I can still use the older product but I need support for Global ID's and the
>newer version of the IAnywhere database.
>
>I can use the Physiacal Architect that comes with the IAnywhere studio - but
>it is ignorant of the PowerBuild extended attributes which are stored in the
>physical database - so if I use the tool to modify the database, it drops
>the extended attributes and they are not replaceable or stroed in the tool.
>
>Does anybody have a good solution for storing and restoring the extended
>attributes?

Olivier from Paris, France
0
Olivier
1/14/2003 9:52:47 AM
Glenn;

    If Sybase were smart, they would bundle it with PB Enterprise as maybe a
limited edition that would only run where PB was installed. I agree with you
100%, it is a great product and giving the PB developers a free copy to play
with helps echo the superior nature of the software to friends, colleagues
and management (where the purchase orders are signed).
    Hopefully, Sybase will get smart and continue the PD bundling.

Note: EAStudio is being abandoned.

Regards ... Chris
Great White North Technical Evangelist

"Glenn Barber" <GABarber@msn.com> wrote in message
> I have use PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder for more than 5 years to do all
my
> data modeling and maintenance of the design of my databases.  I found it a
> wonderful tool.  It used to be included in the EADStudio Bundle.
>
> Not it has been dropped and I am in a confusion as to what to do. I have
> called Sybase/Power Builder about this several times and they seem even
more
> confused than I about what happened and what to do.
>
> I can still use the older product but I need support for Global ID's and
the
> newer version of the IAnywhere database.
>
> I can use the Physiacal Architect that comes with the IAnywhere studio -
but
> it is ignorant of the PowerBuild extended attributes which are stored in
the
> physical database - so if I use the tool to modify the database, it drops
> the extended attributes and they are not replaceable or stroed in the
tool.

> Does anybody have a good solution for storing and restoring the extended
> attributes?

0
Chris
1/14/2003 12:46:43 PM
If memory serves, an evaluation version of PD8 shipped with PB8.

In any event, from the Future of PowerBuilder Webcast with Raj Nathan
last month, it sounded as if some integration of PD into PB was in the
works (not that PD wouldn't continue on as a seperate product though).

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 07:46:43 -0500, "Chris Pollach"
<cpollach@ajja.com> wrote:

>Glenn;
>
>    If Sybase were smart, they would bundle it with PB Enterprise as maybe a
>limited edition that would only run where PB was installed. I agree with you
>100%, it is a great product and giving the PB developers a free copy to play
>with helps echo the superior nature of the software to friends, colleagues
>and management (where the purchase orders are signed).
>    Hopefully, Sybase will get smart and continue the PD bundling.
>
>Note: EAStudio is being abandoned.
>
>Regards ... Chris
>Great White North Technical Evangelist
>
>"Glenn Barber" <GABarber@msn.com> wrote in message
>> I have use PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder for more than 5 years to do all
>my
>> data modeling and maintenance of the design of my databases.  I found it a
>> wonderful tool.  It used to be included in the EADStudio Bundle.
>>
>> Not it has been dropped and I am in a confusion as to what to do. I have
>> called Sybase/Power Builder about this several times and they seem even
>more
>> confused than I about what happened and what to do.
>>
>> I can still use the older product but I need support for Global ID's and
>the
>> newer version of the IAnywhere database.
>>
>> I can use the Physiacal Architect that comes with the IAnywhere studio -
>but
>> it is ignorant of the PowerBuild extended attributes which are stored in
>the
>> physical database - so if I use the tool to modify the database, it drops
>> the extended attributes and they are not replaceable or stroed in the
>tool.
>>
>> Does anybody have a good solution for storing and restoring the extended
>> attributes?

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com

Which can now be pre-ordered through Amazon.com

If you would like to continue to be able to use Google to search *all* of these newsgroups, please contact Google at and let them know.
mailto:groups-support@google.com

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
1/15/2003 6:06:48 AM
Bruce;

  You are correct, there is a 30 day trial version of PD with PB8. Mine was
bundled in with EAStudio, but EAStudio is being abandoned. I did pick up
that theme from Raj's presentation as well. Hopefully Sybase will offer a
copy of PD with PB 9 enterprise.

Regards ... Chris

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:iju92vkecbg3d16tmofjtdh187ds59kq7q@4ax.com...
> [...]
in
> >the
> >> physical database - so if I use the tool to modify the database, it
drops
> >> the extended attributes and they are not replaceable or stroed in the
> >tool.
> >>
> >> Does anybody have a good solution for storing and restoring the
extended
> >> attributes?
> >>

> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
>
> Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
> http://www.pb9books.com
>
> Which can now be pre-ordered through Amazon.com
>
> If you would like to continue to be able to use Google to search *all* of
these newsgroups, please contact Google at and let them know.
> mailto:groups-support@google.com
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
Assisi
> http://www.needhim.org

0
Chris
1/15/2003 1:01:46 PM
If all you need to do is data modeling, there is a lite version of
PowerDesigner bundled with SQLAnywhere Studio 8 which does just that.
Our version is in french and the product is called PowerAMC, but I
think it has a different name in english.

Simon.

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:39:02 -0800, "Glenn Barber" <GABarber@msn.com>
wrote:

>I have use PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder for more than 5 years to do all my
>data modeling and maintenance of the design of my databases.  I found it a
>wonderful tool.  It used to be included in the EADStudio Bundle.
>
>Not it has been dropped and I am in a confusion as to what to do. I have
>called Sybase/Power Builder about this several times and they seem even more
>confused than I about what happened and what to do.
>
>I can still use the older product but I need support for Global ID's and the
>newer version of the IAnywhere database.
>
>I can use the Physiacal Architect that comes with the IAnywhere studio - but
>it is ignorant of the PowerBuild extended attributes which are stored in the
>physical database - so if I use the tool to modify the database, it drops
>the extended attributes and they are not replaceable or stroed in the tool.
>
>Does anybody have a good solution for storing and restoring the extended
>attributes?

0
Simon
1/29/2003 5:00:51 PM
From what I understand in talking with Sybase/Powersoft the new
PowerDesigner tool does not carry the functionality of PD for PB and is
ignorant of the PB extended attributes.  Anybody here actually use this
newer product ?

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> Bruce;
>
>   You are correct, there is a 30 day trial version of PD with PB8. Mine
was
> bundled in with EAStudio, but EAStudio is being abandoned. I did pick up
> that theme from Raj's presentation as well. Hopefully Sybase will offer a
> copy of PD with PB 9 enterprise.
>
> Regards ... Chris
>
> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
> wrote in message news:iju92vkecbg3d16tmofjtdh187ds59kq7q@4ax.com...
> > If memory serves, an evaluation version of PD8 shipped with PB8.
> >
> > In any event, from the Future of PowerBuilder Webcast with Raj Nathan
> > last month, it sounded as if some integration of PD into PB was in the
> > works (not that PD wouldn't continue on as a seperate product though).
> >
> > On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 07:46:43 -0500, "Chris Pollach"
> > <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Glenn;
> > >
> > >    If Sybase were smart, they would bundle it with PB Enterprise as
> maybe a
> > >limited edition that would only run where PB was installed. I agree
with
> you
> > >100%, it is a great product and giving the PB developers a free copy to
> play
> > >with helps echo the superior nature of the software to friends,
> colleagues
> > >and management (where the purchase orders are signed).
> > >    Hopefully, Sybase will get smart and continue the PD bundling.
> > >
> > >Note: EAStudio is being abandoned.
> > >
> > >Regards ... Chris
> > >Great White North Technical Evangelist
> > >
> > >"Glenn Barber" <GABarber@msn.com> wrote in message
> all
> > >my
> it a

> have
> > >more

> and
> > >the

> studio -
> > >but
> in
> > >the
> drops
> > >tool.

> extended
> > >>

> > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> > http://www.teamsybase.com
> >
> > Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
> > http://www.pb9books.com
> >
> > Which can now be pre-ordered through Amazon.com
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672325004
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672324997
> >
> > If you would like to continue to be able to use Google to search *all*
of
> these newsgroups, please contact Google at and let them know.
> > mailto:groups-support@google.com
> >
> > Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
> Assisi
> > http://www.needhim.org

0
Glenn
1/31/2003 8:17:14 PM
As I said in my original post, I have the version that comes with ASA
Studio.  It is ignorant of extended attributes and will destroy them when
altering tables - and does not repository the attributes as PD for PB

This is the specific point which is lost on PowerSoft/Sybase.  They took
away a needed core functionality with no alternative.

The point I need to know is - if there is now no PD product which
understands extended attributes - how do I best repository and restore them
when tables and content are altered by the Design tool and the extended
attributes are lost.

Thanks

"Simon Blais" <sblais@pgsystem.com> wrote in message
> If all you need to do is data modeling, there is a lite version of
> PowerDesigner bundled with SQLAnywhere Studio 8 which does just that.
> Our version is in french and the product is called PowerAMC, but I
> think it has a different name in english.
>
> Simon.
>
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:39:02 -0800, "Glenn Barber" <GABarber@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have use PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder for more than 5 years to do all
my
> >data modeling and maintenance of the design of my databases.  I found it
> >wonderful tool.  It used to be included in the EADStudio Bundle.
> >
> >Not it has been dropped and I am in a confusion as to what to do. I have
> >called Sybase/Power Builder about this several times and they seem even
more
> >confused than I about what happened and what to do.
> >
> >I can still use the older product but I need support for Global ID's and
the
> >newer version of the IAnywhere database.
> >
> >I can use the Physiacal Architect that comes with the IAnywhere studio -
but
> >it is ignorant of the PowerBuild extended attributes which are stored in
the
> >physical database - so if I use the tool to modify the database, it drops
> >the extended attributes and they are not replaceable or stroed in the
tool.

> >Does anybody have a good solution for storing and restoring the extended
> >attributes?

0
Glenn
1/31/2003 8:21:19 PM
As I understood, this was ignorant of Extended attributes.

"Olivier" <ociteau-nospam@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> It has been dropped from PowerBuilder CD, but it is still sold as a
separate
> product.
> Last version is 9.5
>
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:39:02 -0800,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database
> Glenn Barber <GABarber@msn.com> wrote:
> >I have use PowerDesigner for PowerBuilder for more than 5 years to do all
my
> >data modeling and maintenance of the design of my databases.  I found it
> >wonderful tool.  It used to be included in the EADStudio Bundle.
> >
> >Not it has been dropped and I am in a confusion as to what to do. I have
> >called Sybase/Power Builder about this several times and they seem even
more
> >confused than I about what happened and what to do.
> >
> >I can still use the older product but I need support for Global ID's and
the
> >newer version of the IAnywhere database.
> >
> >I can use the Physiacal Architect that comes with the IAnywhere studio -
but
> >it is ignorant of the PowerBuild extended attributes which are stored in
the
> >physical database - so if I use the tool to modify the database, it drops
> >the extended attributes and they are not replaceable or stroed in the
tool.

> >Does anybody have a good solution for storing and restoring the extended
> >attributes?
> >

> Olivier from Paris, France

0
Glenn