Powerbuilder Datawindow Retrieve is unusually slow. What's wrong?

We are using powerbuilder with Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.  An issue we are
having is that datawindows that have records 10000+ slow down almost
exponentially during a retrieve the higher amount of records there is.  A
40000 record datawindow should not take 5-10 minutes to retrieve on a 1ghz
machine.  Have any of you experienced a similar problem?  Please let me
know any suggestions you have.  Please email me at johnowens50@hotmail.com

John Owens
johnowens50@hotmail.com
0
John_Owens

Two possibilities:

1) your computer is memory-starved.  Is the paging rate going up as the
retrieval progresses?
2) you have some group calculatations that are being recalculated as each
row is retrieved.

Have you coded anything in the retrieverow event?

<John_Owens> wrote in message
> We are using powerbuilder with Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.  An issue we are
> having is that datawindows that have records 10000+ slow down almost
> exponentially during a retrieve the higher amount of records there is.  A
> 40000 record datawindow should not take 5-10 minutes to retrieve on a 1ghz
> machine.  Have any of you experienced a similar problem?  Please let me
> know any suggestions you have.  Please email me at johnowens50@hotmail.com
>
> John Owens
> johnowens50@hotmail.com

0
Leo
9/10/2002 9:44:16 PM
No there is nothing in the retrieve row event.  There is just a massive
amount of data to be displayed and it seems that during the retrieve, the
system retrieves slower as the number of rows get larger.  The redraw
command "IS" turned off during this process.
0
John_Owens
9/11/2002 1:42:40 PM
Do you have Retrieve Rows to Disk set?
It may also help to defrag your disk.

John_Owens wrote in message
<83898F7A15D06210004B517485256C31.007B409085256C30@webforums>...
>No there is nothing in the retrieve row event.  There is just a massive
>amount of data to be displayed and it seems that during the retrieve, the
>system retrieves slower as the number of rows get larger.  The redraw
>command "IS" turned off during this process.

0
Jerry