Please help, simple questions ?

Hello to you,
I'm newbie in pb8

I'd created datawindow connected to ms-access database.
I connected by database profile, using odbc, the profile name is "ms-access"
When I preview on datawindow, It can display my table in grid format.
I named it as dw_customer

then I drag datawindow object into window, named w_customer.

When I preview the window, Why It can't displayed the table ?
the datawidow control named dw_1

I also reading the online help, but I confusing the concept about retrieving
data.
I tried to put some code on window_open event as below :
connect using sqlca;
dw_1.settransobject(sqlca)
dw_1.retrieve()

but the above code, I tried also didn't work

It drives me mad in a week and finally I found this newsgroup

Please advice and give me some explanation about "database connection".
Is there any tutorial over the internet ? Please give the links
Note: I tried using search engine, it seems the pb goes dead, is it right ?

thanks in advance
steven

0
steven

You have to connect to your database first.

There is a tutorial that comes with PowerBuilder that will teach you the
basics. I would work through that first.

Also, please do not cross-post across newsgroups. It's pretty much the same
people answering questions in the newsgroups, so we're all reading your
message multiple times.

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
VP - Power3

"steven" <stvhui@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Hello to you,
> I'm newbie in pb8
>

> I'd created datawindow connected to ms-access database.
> I connected by database profile, using odbc, the profile name is
"ms-access"
> When I preview on datawindow, It can display my table in grid format.
> I named it as dw_customer
>
> then I drag datawindow object into window, named w_customer.
>
> When I preview the window, Why It can't displayed the table ?
> the datawidow control named dw_1
>
> I also reading the online help, but I confusing the concept about
retrieving
> data.
> I tried to put some code on window_open event as below :
> connect using sqlca;
> dw_1.settransobject(sqlca)
> dw_1.retrieve()
>
> but the above code, I tried also didn't work
>
> It drives me mad in a week and finally I found this newsgroup
>
> Please advice and give me some explanation about "database connection".
> Is there any tutorial over the internet ? Please give the links
> Note: I tried using search engine, it seems the pb goes dead, is it right
?

> thanks in advance
> steven

0
Bill
5/10/2002 1:22:37 AM
Steven,

Previewing a window shows what the window will basically look like, it will
not execute the code behind it.  You'll need to run your app and open the
window.

Charles Grillo

0
Charlie

Please Help, simple questions
Hello to you, I'm a newbie in PB using 7.0 I've a Window named w_cust (have 2 buttons, [INSERT ROW] and [UPDATE] ) and DataWindow named d_cust (the model is freeform) It display like : Name : City : Phone : [INSERT ROW] [UPDATE] I also write the script to the buttons. But when I click the [INSERT ROW] button, I didnt recieve the input state, why ?? and if I click the [UPDATE] button, the msgbox display that the DATAWINDOW didn't have update capabilities, why ?? But if I design the DATAWINDOW in GRID Model, ...

Simple Question ... Please help!
I have what I am sure is a simple question. I've been searching online for an hour and have $180 worth of VB.NET books in front of me but I can't seem to find this. I have a form where end users create an account/membership that is stored to a SQL DB. The username fields have to be unique and I can't figure out how to query that info from the DB? I would just like to check if there are any users currently using that username and if so, just generate a textbox message asking them to create a different username. Thanks!Building websites for 7 years. Using VB.NET for 2 weeks....'amatuer' ...

Please Simple DataBase Help?
Ive been trying for the last 3 months to set up a simple Database using Asp.net coded in language VB using Microsoft Access. And im not having much look at all, i just was a simple add, delete and read from the database. can anyone please point me in the right direction to where i can do this or any sites with some database code on? I would be a very very very happy person if you could. Thanks HomerA Firm Believer that "Young men without dreams are like spring without flowers" Take a look @ ASPNET101Sushila Bowalekar PatelVisual ASP/ASP.NET MVPhttp://weblogs.asp.net/s...

Please help for my simple question
Hai all I know it is very simple question . But I need ur help pls I want to change the color using expression property of datawindow for example if totalsale >= 80% the back ground colour of the totalsale column should be green , if it is >= 50 the back goround colur should be yello other wise if less that 50 the colur of this column should be red. Please how I can give in expression properties of the column in a datawindow With thanks and regards Polachan ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp H...

Please help
I'm just getting started with ASP/ASP.NET. I have W2k, installed IIS/.Netv1.1, and using the webmatrix to develop. When I use the web matrix server to test, all is OK. But if I use IIS then I cannot run any of the quickstart samples or even my own simple hello world project. The error occurs at any line that has <SCRIPT runat="server"> . The browser (IE6) gives me an error stating Expected ";" on line 3 <FULL CODE BELOW> ========================================================== <%@ Page Language="VB" %> <script runat=&q...

Please Help, simple questions
Hello to you, I'm a newbie in PB using 7.0 I've a Window named w_cust (have 2 buttons, [INSERT ROW] and [UPDATE] ) and DataWindow named d_cust (the model is freeform) It display like : Name : City : Phone : [INSERT ROW] [UPDATE] I also write the script to the buttons. But when I click the [INSERT ROW] button, I didnt recieve the input state, why ?? and if I click the [UPDATE] button, the msgbox display that the DATAWINDOW didn't have update capabilities, why ?? But if I design the DATAWINDOW in GRID Model, ...

PowerBuilder Database Interfaces (please help)
I have been working with PowerBuilder 7.0 professional edition for awhile now and I have notice that I regulary receive the following errors: 1// DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current installation. 2// There are no database interface currently installed. I can reinstall powerbuilder and my database interface but after I open powerbuilder and create my connection and close powerbuilder again I receive the same errors. With these erors I can not connect to my data base and create data windows. Now reciently I have notice that even when I reinstall powerbuilder I will re...

a simple portal question, please help me out.
Dim _portalSettings As PortalSettings = CType(HttpContext.Current.Items("PortalSettings"), PortalSettings) i know HttpContext.Current is to get the HttpContext object for the current HTTP request but I still have trouble to understand HttpContext.Current.Items("PortalSettings") part. Can some1 please explain it to me ? i got stuck on this part. thank you so much. At the start of each request a portalsettings object is created and dumped into the current context collection - making it available across the application for the duration of that request ...

Simple Query Question, please help
Table{ id, int (identity)  id2, int  ...}  I need to insert a row in a table and make id2=id it is actually quite easy to do it in 2 seperate queries, however, i wonder if there is a way to do it in one query with system functions. I am quite new to MSSQL, hope somebody can give me a hand. Thanks Hi ksha060 , You can use trigger to update id2.CREATE TRIGGER trgAfterInsert On YourTableName FOR INSERT AS BEGIN DECLARE @id2 int SELECT @id2 = id FROM inserted update YourTableName set id2 = @id2 where id = @id2 END ...

Please help for my simple question #2
Dear All, Please help to get the solution for my simple question For example I have the menu with following Master -----> Unit -----> Department -----> Employee After selecting Employee the employee screen will be opened but after that when I am returned to the menu , The submenu will disappear from there from previous position. I have to select Master again to get Employee submenu . How Can I keep the previous selected status of the menu With thanks Polachan ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsg...

Web resources about - Please help, simple questions ? - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Andrew Robb trade trip with former Nash staffer Alastair Furnival raises questions
Labor Senator Penny Wong says inclusion of former junk food lobbyist in trade delegation raises &quot;serious questions about integrity of the ...

Facebook’s Helen Crossley on the 3 Big Mobile-Commerce Questions
Mobile grabbed hold of the holiday shopping season in 2014, and there is no reason to believe that trend won’t continue this year. Helen Crossley ...

The craziest and most interesting questions Apple asks during job interviews
Working at Apple is incredibly fast-paced and challenging, and if you happen to be an engineer or designer at Apple , this dynamic is undoubtedly ...

Housing Rebound Didn't Lift Economy as Much as Economists Expected: Why?; Six Questions for Zandi
Home prices are nearly back to where they were before the crash. In some places, home prices are above where they were at the peak of the national ...

Everything Apple does can be explained by this one simple question
This has been a huge year for Apple, the most valuable company in the world, with the launch of three major products: The Apple Watch , Apple ...

Trump Was Asked Leading Questions, But The Questions Were Still Valid
On the subject of Donald Trump's headline-grabbing refusal to reject Nazi tactics, I think Kevin Drum has a point: It would be one thing if ...

Trump questions Hillary's 'stamina,' apparently unaware of her marathon Benghazi hearing
Donald Trump will find a new criticism of Hillary Clinton soon because his latest one is downright ludicrous. In an appearance on ABC’s “This ...

Pushbullet Adds Option to Send Texts From Tablets, Answers Pro Questions in AMA
Pushbullet , the service you once loved but now seem to hate because they want to make money and survive as a company, introduced a new feature ...

Lisa Vanderpump Is the Latest 'RHOBH' Star to Question Yolanda Foster's Lyme Disease
Lisa Vanderpump Is the Latest 'RHOBH' Star to Question Yolanda Foster's Lyme Disease