PB 9.x and Oracle 9.9

Has anyone used PB 9.x against an Oracle 9.9 database?  If
so, did you experience any strange, inconsistent or
undesirable behavior?

Thanks!
0
kelly

9.9?  That the beta for 10g?  <grin>

PB 9.x against 9i, sure.  There are some issues with timestamp
columns.  It's laid out in the readme.text file:

Oracle9i
========
Date and Timestamp datatype conflicts
-------------------------------------
Oracle 9i databases and the PowerBuilder O90 interface support
a new Oracle timestamp datatype. This datatype includes the date
and the time including milliseconds. The existing Oracle Date
datatype does not include millisecond information. In a DataWindow,
both the Oracle Timestamp and Date datatypes are mapped to the
PowerBuilder DateTime datatype, which supports millisecond
information.

In previous releases, the millisecond information was truncated when
used with the Oracle Date datatype. In PowerBuilder 9.0, millisecond
information is not truncated. As a result, when performing multiple
updates to a DateTime field that maps to a Date column, the first
update succeeds, but subsequent updates fail with a row changed
between retrieve and update error. As a temporary workaround, a new
TimeStamp DBParm has been provided.

If you are using the O90 interface with a database that uses only
the TimeStamp datatype, PowerBuilder handles DataWindow updates
correctly.

If you are using the O90 interface with a database that uses only
the Oracle Date datatype, set the DBParm TimeStamp to No to revert
to the previous behavior of truncating millisecond information.

If you are using a database that uses both Date and TimeStamp
datatypes, you must determine which columns use each datatype,
and strip the milliseconds from the Date columns using code like
the following:

   datetime dt
   dt = datetime (date(string ( today() ,"dd/mm/yyyy")),  &
      time(string ( today() ,"hh:mm:ss ")))
   dw_1.setitem(1,3,dt)

[CR 300345]

On 30 Jan 2004 14:46:36 -0800, kelly wrote:

>Has anyone used PB 9.x against an Oracle 9.9 database?  If
>so, did you experience any strange, inconsistent or
>undesirable behavior?
>
>Thanks!

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Sixth Annual Sybase Tools Seminar - April 19 - Minneapolis, MN
http://www.powerobjects.com/seminar/?source=newsgroups

Two new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample?  Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

ISUG Enhancement Requests
http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
1/31/2004 1:26:19 AM
Kelly,

In addition to Bruce's comments

=======================
Problem Description:
PowerBuilder crashes when executing an Oracle 9i Release 2 stored procedure
without arguments.

Tip or Workaround:
In PB 9 release bulletin:
=========================
6.6.4 Oracle9i Release 2 stored procedure issues
The PowerBuilder O90 database interface for Oracle 9i has been tested with
Oracle 9i Release 1, and its use with Oracle 9i Release 2 is not currently
supported. Some issues have been observed when executing an Oracle stored
procedure without arguments using Oracle 9i Release 2 (9.2.0.2.0) and have
been reported to Oracle. The Oracle bug number is 2673203, and a fix is
expected in release 9.2.0.4. [CR 293930]

Resolution:
Oracle CLIENT needs to be upgraded to 9.2.0.4

Resolutions: third party

Case - CR 293930
====================================

If you can't upgrade ( for some reasons ) to 9.2.0.4 y
you can handle this problem by using RPCFUNC instead of DECLARE, EXECUTE:
----
// Transobject
    subroutine my_proc() RPCFUNC alias for my_pack.my_procedure
----
// Code
    SQLCA.my_proc();
----

and another Oracle 9I related problem:
if you have CHAR OUT parameters in the procedure defined as something%type
    you have to:
a) change them to varchar2
or
b) use ONLY RPCFUNC to call them from the PB (don't forget to alocate memory
before calls )

HTH

Alex Osin

<kelly> wrote in message news:401ae132.78dd.846930886@sybase.com...
> Has anyone used PB 9.x against an Oracle 9.9 database?  If
> so, did you experience any strange, inconsistent or
> undesirable behavior?
>
> Thanks!

0
Alex

9.9
Name: Max Oliveira Email: dataatdata4youdotcomdotbr Product: Firefox Summary: 9.9 Comments: Best off the best!! Congratulations. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pt-BR; rv:1.9.1b3) Gecko/20090305 Firefox/3.1b3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Bad performance with Oracle 9 (PB 8 and 9)
Hi, I am with a problem of performance in a application developed in PB8 and connecting on Oracle 9. The problem occurs in a table that has a field DATE as key. When generate the WHERE statement, it generates the following information (Gotten through Trace of the PowerBuilder): WHERE (EMPCOD = 1) and (CTANUM = 10000017) and (movdat = TO_TIMESTAMP('1-09-1999 00:00:00', 'dd-MM-YYYY HH24:MI:SS ')) This command is incorrect, therefore if you to use TO_TIMESTAMP to convert and to compare with a field DATE, the Oracle don't use the index. The corr...

PB 9 or PB 9.01
We have an old PB 6.5 app that we want to (finally) migrate to PB 9. Should we go to PB 9.00 or PB 9.01 (which seems to generate a fair number of GPFs from some of the posts we've seen).' Which of the 2 versions of PB 9 are more stable in your opinion? We don't need the new features that much, for us stability is the #1 issue. Frankly speaking, we'd keep it on 6.5 if we could, but that old IDE is so unusable by today's standards that we finally decided to make the jump to version 9. thanks in advance, John Hey John, Stability really depends on your...

Patches of ASA9 from 9.0 to 9.01 and 9.01 to 9.02
For X64. Anyone know where I can find these? I installed ASA9 for X64 on my new server and tried to install the latest EBF and it won't work because it is expecting to find ver. 9.02 and I've get 9.0. Thanks for any help, -- -----Jon----- In article <4c1fa601$1@forums-1-dub>, jsprings@jontandshe.org says... > > For X64. > > Anyone know where I can find these? > > I installed ASA9 for X64 on my new server and tried to install the latest > EBF and it won't work because it is expecting to find ver. 9.02 and I've get ...

hints expression oracle 9.0 in Powerbuilder 9.0
Hello cheers to all. I got this sql from Orable 9.0, we need to put a hint expression in this sql to improve the performance on the execution of the sql, well i dont know if this run fine in sql embeded, because this expression use /* */ operator, like the following example. In powerbuilde these operators are used to put comments in the script.. SELECT /* + INDEX ("CB_MOV_PAG" "CB_MOV_PAG1") */ sum ("CB_MOV_DET"."MON_PAG") FROM "CB_MOV_DET", "CB_MOV_PAG" WHERE ( "CB_MOV_DET"."COD_CIA"...

PB 9.03 vs PB 9.02
What is better to use for already existing large client-server PB app? In terms of stability, number of unfixed serious bugs, extra features... TIA We encountered lockup problems on some reports for our application with 9.0.3. I did lots of testing but couldn't pin down the cause, and the users were getting frustrated. After a while I rolled back to 9.0.2 with EBF 7610, and this seems to be very stable. Of course, the usual disclaimers apply: your mileage may vary, etc. Pat "Andrew" <gurzuf_no_junk_@rogers.com> wrote in message news:4314fe5e@fo...

Infomaker 9.0 Database profile in Oracle 9.0.1 interface
When I create a database profile using the Oracle 9.0.1 interface, I can literally specify absolutely any values I want for Profile Name, Server, Login ID, and Password. I can just make up anything I want and then connect to it and Infomaker tells me I have an active database connection, which seems strange since all of the information entered was bogus. If I play along with it and try to create a new report, say tabular using quick select, the tool thinks twice about it and then shuts down, back to desktop. I never know when an actual database connection is established. Any ideas he...

BE 9 or ArcServe 9
Hi, OK- I'll open the Pandora's box and ask- ArcServe 9.0 or Backup Exec 9.0? For many years I was a die-hard ArcServe user- running it successfully on NetWare 3 up to NetWare 5. Moving to a new company we went ahead with ArcServe (back in the 6.x days) and had nothing but problems to the point where we could no longer get it to load. I switched to Veritas Backup Exec 8.5 and in 20 minutes was happily backing up my systems. I'm still running that software on a NetWare 5.0 server. It's been stable as a rock, but I admit that ArcServe always had a better ...

Build dbd::oracle for both Oracle 8.x And Oracle 9.x
Hi All, Can I build single dbd::oracle to work with both Oracle 8.1.7 and Oracle 9.2.0 running on the Server (Solaris 8) ? If yes, how ? If not, any other better means to acheive this. Thank You. -Khatir ********** Confidentiality Notice ********** This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other writings are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) identified above. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the receiver of this informati...

DBD:Oracle for Oracle 9.0.2 and 9.2 ?
------_=_NextPart_001_01C2F2A5.306833FA Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi all, =20 Currently in a project to convert our existing 7.3.4 and 8.1.7 Databases to Oracle9i.( Either the 9.0.1 or 9.2 version ) Now I'm having some problems connecting to some test databases I have setup. Do I need to upgrade my perl version or Dbi / DBD version to be able to connect? I keep getting the :=20 =20 DBI->connect(servwhDBMET) failed: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel (DBD: login failed) =20 ...

PB 9/9.1 stability
Hello, I've great problems with Power Builder's stability. I'm working on web application (using EAServer connection under PB) and my PB is very very unstable. I mention that it hangs on almost every 5 minutes. These aren't my first problems with PB stability - in other company, with other computers and earlier versions of PB I've got the same problems. Does anybody know the solution? Or maybe it's Sybase PB's nature? best regards rubikov Lukasz; All our dynamic web content on our production site is running EAS version 5 with PB 9.0.1 (next ...

PB 9 Desktop and ASA 9
As directed, I installed ASA 9 before installing PB 9 Desktop, but have run into difficulty. First, I unchecked the option to install ASA 8.01 during the PB install. The install did not detect ASA 9 and therefore did not install the demo db and samples (I would like them). Second, PB does not recognize the ASA 9 databases when I configure PB to use them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Patrick Dillon ...

FW: Build dbd::oracle for both Oracle 8.x And Oracle 9.x
I have build DBD::Oracle for 9.2.0 and works good on target Oracle 9.2.0 but when I try to connect to 8.1.7 I get following error: DBI connect('','lut',...) failed: ERROR OCIEnvNlsCreate (check ORACLE_HOME and NLS settings etc.) at =20dbi8.pl line 11 Help is appreciated. Thanks Khatir The script dbi8.pl is as below: =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D #!/usr/bin/perl use DBD::Oracle; use DBI; ...

PowerBuilder 9.0.2 native Oracle driver for Oracle 10g database
We are migrating from Oracle 8i to 10g. The PowerBuilder 9.0.2 application is extremely slow using PowerBuilder Oracle 8.4 or 9.0 native driver to connect to Oracle 10g database, We had to use 7.3 driver. After using trace we found that the SQL scripts with index hint cause slow down, but they are working ok using Oracle 8.4 driver with Oracle 8i database. Any suggestion which is best way to connect from PowerBuilder 9.0.2 to Oracle 10g database? We have tried the Oracle 8.1.7 client and Oracle 9.0 client. I found a solved case on Sybase support web site, but we do not have support...