PB 5.0.03 (and 4.0.x) problem with reuse of dynamic cursor?

Here's a weird one...memory leak related to reuse of dynamic cursors...

we have a continuously running application which polls for data and
processes what it finds.  Several functions in an NVO are repetitively
called, and each of them uses and reuses a dynamic cursor (Format 4
dynamic SQL - after first use within each function, the cursor is
closed, then PREPARE through OPEN is repeated on the same cursor.

Database engine is MSSQL 6.5/SP 3 on NT 4.0

We experienced significant memory leaks with this setup, so much so that
the app would crash on 'out of memory' after running for less than 24
hours.

After trying several things, including different drivers and separate
cursor use (no recycling of cursors), I found that the only combination
which resolved the problem was the non-reused cursor code with a SYBASE
driver.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?  Do you know if it's fixed?
0
Colin

Running PB 4.0.06 and PB 5.0.03
We are running Sql Server 6.5. I have been doing maintenance on older apps using PB 4.0.06 and (finally) have a chance to do some new development. PB 4 and PB 5 were running smoothly on the same machine. We were using Named Pipes as our dll. Last week , after I re-installed MS SQL Enterprise Manager and changing to TCP/IP, PB 5 is running smoothly and can connect to both our old and new databases. PB 4 cannot see anything and is giving the following error message - "Db-library network communication layer not loaded." Duh ??? All the dll's are in my search p...

PB 5.0.03 and PB 5.0.04
Hi. Do I need to install PB 5.0.03 and after PB 5.0.04 or I can just install PB 5.0.04 ? You can just install 5.0.04. Make a backup of your pbls prior to installing 5.0.04 in case you need to revert back to the current version. hth, Anthony M. Perugini President Forte Information Systems, Inc. www.ConsultForte.com Having a Bad Day? www.ConsultForte.com/Disgruntled.htm Kleber Pimentel Koti wrote in message ... >Hi. >Do I need to install PB 5.0.03 and after PB 5.0.04 or I can just install PB >5.0.04 ? > > ...

PB 4.0.03 & PB 6.0.0 issues
I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS READING PB PRODUCTS: 1. WE HAVE USED PB 4.0.03 ENTERPRISE FOR YEARS NOW, ARE THERE PATCHES FOR Y2K CONCERNS THAT WE CAN DOWNLOAD? 2. WE HAVE ALSO PB 6.0.0 PROFESSIONAL, AND ENCOUNTERED SOME ODBC 4.0 GLITCHES RELATING TO MS-ACCESS 97 ("... Program type out of range ..."), ARE THERE PATCHES ALSO FOR THESE CONCERNS AND Y2K ISSUES. I read a response pointing where to find the different patches. I did not see though any patches specific to PB 4.0.03 and PB 6.0.0. I would great...

Watcom 4.0 and PB 5.0.03
How can I using PowerBuilder 5.0.03 and Watcom 4.0 ( from PowerBuilder 4.0.05)?. I know that I need to define an ODBC profile, but I have ODBC 32bit ODBC DataSource Administrator, and I don�t view nothing reference about WOD40W.DLL, and I can�t declare any profile. Is necessary to install other utility?. thanks and excuse me for my little english. >How can I using PowerBuilder 5.0.03 and Watcom 4.0 ( from PowerBuilder >4.0.05)?. I know that I need to define an ODBC profile, but I have ODBC >32bit ODBC DataSource Administrator, and I don�t view nothing reference >about W...

Running PB 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0 on same PC
I am attempting to run PowerBuilder 3, 4, 5 (both 16 and 32 bit), and 6 on the same PC. I know that sounds crazy but all of those releases are still in use at my company. The only problem I am having is I can't get 6.0 to use its own pb.ini file. I am running NT 4.0 and have made the following entries in my WIN.INI in the [Powerbuilder] section: INITPATH=c:\...... statement for PB3, INITPATH040 for PB4, INITPATH050 for PB5, and INITPATH060 for PB6. This method works for PB3, 4, and 5 but not 6. PB6 seems to be using the INITPATH statement but ignores the INITPATH060 statement. M...

PB 5.0 to PB 6.5, 7.x, 8.0??
I have a client who needs to move from an initial PB 5.0 release (no patches applied) to a newer version of PB. This is a small internal application but they would like to open it up via the internet in the future. They are currently running on a SQL Anywhere DB but would be looking to change that also. I don't have any hands on experience with PB 7.x but from what I heard and read it hasn't been that great. I've been using PB 6.5 since build 444 and was thinking of recommending that they make the move to 6.5 first and then wait for PB 8.0 later this year. Any thoug...

Migrating from PB v5 to v5.0.02 and from 5.0.02 to 5.0.03.
Hello, 2 customers have requested information on how to migrate from PowerBuilder v5 to 5.0.02 and from 5.0.02 to 5.0.03. Can anyone offer advice? Do they both need to call Technical Support? I've looked in our Technical Information Library and entering requests via Query Builder yields nothing. Thank you very much. Deborah (Information Products Group) Deborah Blakeney wrote: > > Hello, > > 2 customers have requested information on how to migrate > from PowerBuilder v5 to 5.0.02 and from 5.0.02 to 5.0.03. Can > anyone offer advice? Do the...

Problem: difference in query behaviour between 5.5.0.3 and 6.0.0.x
Hi,> We're maintaining an SQL Anywhere application. We noticed that the following query runs fine on SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3 but not under SQL Anywhere Studio 6.0.0: select distinct GewichtLooprichting from vArtikel where vArtikel.artikel_groothandel = -1 order by GewichtLooprichting The problem under v. 6 disappears if we leave out the distinct or order by clauses. Is anyone familiar with this difference in behaviour? We checked the documentation and the Sybase website but didn't find any clues. Thanks for your help! Jeroen Pielage An...

Problems migrating from PB 5.0.03 to PB 6.5
I am having problems running the my application after migrating it to PB 6.5. The application was migrated successfully. Then, I added all the new PFC objects and PBLs as per the guidelines provided by Sybase. The full rebuild was also successful except for a few warnings about instance variables of local structure type being implicit in the next release. However, when I start up the application and try to open any screen having datawindows, it crashes with Dr. Watson's error. Did anybody have a similar experience? Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. T...

Are you using PB 5.0.03 version of PBODB050.DLL with PB 5.0.04??
PB 5.0.04 applications connected to SQL Anywhere 5.5 will GPF on disconnect when ODBC 3.5 or greater is installed. I believe this may only happen for win95 as opposed NT/98. Replacing PBODB050.DLL with the PB 5.0.03 version has been a common 'folk remedy'. We have just discovered a problematic side-effect: If instead of connecting to SA 5.5, you connect to SA 7, and your PB application uses datawindows which retrieve through calls to Stored Procedures, then such a retrieve produces a database error: Select error: SQLSTATE = S1009 [Sybase][ODBC Driver]Invalid use o...

Triggers in SQL Anywhere 5.5.0 and PowerBuilder 5.0.03
Hi: I'm trying to get a series of triggers working, but am having lots of difficulties. Initially, the following trigger did not update the 'product' table on an insert. create trigger ti_inventory after insert on inventory referencing new as new_inventory for each row begin update product set product.current_in_stock = product.current_in_stock + new_inventory.qty_new + new_inventory.qty_used_excl + new_inventory.qty_used_good + new_inventory.qty_used_poor where product.product_code = new_inventory.product_code end; I tried to put other commands into the t...

Migrating from PB 4.0 to PB 5.0
I am hving a hard time trying to convert from Powerbuilder v4.0 to v5.0. After I have migrated the entire application, i then try to open up a Window and keep getting the message "Open of Window failed. Application has been converted to newest version; window must be re-migrated". I then try to re-migrate the Window and re-open it and again the same message. Any ideas?? Does it definitely say 'remigrated' and not 'regenerated'? If the latter, then regenerating all objects should sort it. Mark Sanford wrote in message <01bd8e64$08e151e0$a4012682@s...

PowerBuilder 5.0 to 5.0.0.2
I hope this the correct venue for this question. I have a fresh install of PB 5.0 and I need to upgrade it to 5.0.0.2. I have found plenty of reference/downloads to 5.0.0.4 on the sybase website, but I need to go from 5.0 to 5.0.0.2. Where can I download the correct patch/upgrade? Thanks 5.0.0.2 is no longer available. You can choose between 5.0.03 (bug infested) and 5.0.04 (stable). -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://sdn.sybase.com MySybase - http://my.sybase.com "Dwayne Bordelon" <dwayne.bordelon@shawinc...

1.5.0.0.3 vs 1.5.0.0.4
I have had numerous difficulties with FF 1.5.0.0.4, in particular, some sites often just hang when I click on links. A particularly bad site is Dell http://www.dell.com/, which - when I try to configure a computer - gets all kinds of "waiting for dell" status bar messages. I tried it with a clean profile, to no avail. It works flawlessly with IE. I downloaded fresh copies of 1.5.0.3 and 1.5.0.4 with the intent of uninstalling the latter and then trying the former. *The uninstall process hung*. So I installed 1.5.0.3 on top of 1.5.0.4. The Dell site now works fl...

Web resources about - PB 5.0.03 (and 4.0.x) problem with reuse of dynamic cursor? - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Serious fox problem near Yass Gorge
Residents seek help, saying fox epidemic is threatening the native biodiversity. &nbsp;

STEM Crisis: NSW Education Minister Adrian Piccoli to focus on STEM's image problem
They are seen as domains for &quot;geniuses&quot;, &quot;geeks&quot;, &quot;nerds&quot; and &quot;not for girls&quot;. And it's holding the nation ...

Apple’s App Store has a copyright infringement problem, business owner claims
... iOS apps scraping content from the web and packaging it in paid apps. While developer relations issues often get a lot of attention, the problem ...

Marco Rubio accidentally stumbles on the problem with religious pandering
... plan for the universe and for our lives that we are just not going to know the answer to. God’s ways are not our ways.” There are two problems ...

Recharge Wrap-up: Formula E battery award, Tesla NOx problem
Filed under: Government/Legal , Green , Motorsports , Plants/Manufacturing , Tesla , Emissions , Fuel Efficiency , Technology , Electric Williams ...

Apple's App Store has a copyright problem
... then made more apps — all of which are paid-for — and Raub says Apple is unwilling to help this time. 9to5Mac points out that this problem ...

Out-Of-Town Trip In The Nissan LEAF — No Problem
... driving to St. Petersburg, to Tampa, or south to Venice or Englewood is gone. The [&hellip Out-Of-Town Trip In The Nissan LEAF — No Problem ...

The Problem With Ted Cruz’s ‘Firewall’: Conservative States Award Delegates Proportionally
A few months ago, I was among the early commentators who observed that might just be running a brilliant stealth campaign. His recent polling ...

Responsible Gun Owners Are Part Of The Problem
A Responsible Gun Owner took offense to my use of the hashtag #GunsAreTheEnemy on Facebook and wrote defending his ri...