Outer Joins, ANSI syntax and MS SQL Server 6.0, 6.5, 7.0 Beta

Hi
We would like to make our powerbuilder program avaible on multible DB
platforms, but one big problem is OUTER JOINS !

We started on Oracle, no problems.
// Oracle 7.3.4
SELECT *
    FROM TABLE1,
         TABLE2,
         TABLE3
   WHERE ( TABLE1.NUMMER_N06 = TABLE3.NUMMER_N06 (+)) and
         ( TABLE3.NUMMER_I = TABLE2.NUMMER_I (+))   ;

Then , for the smaller companies, we tried SQL AnyWhere 5.0, no problems.
// Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5
SELECT  *
FROM {oj {oj TABLE1  LEFT OUTER JOIN TABLE3  ON TABLE1.NUMMER_N06 =
TABLE3.NUMMER_N06}
                        LEFT OUTER JOIN TABLE2  ON TABLE3.NUMMER_I =
TABLE3.NUMMER_I}  ;

When we tried the same DW, but against an MS SQL server, using native driver
or ODBC, it failed :
// Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, Beta 3
SELECT *
    FROM TABLE1,
         TABLE2,
         TABLE3
   WHERE ( TABLE1.NUMMER_N06  *= TABLE3.NUMMER_N06) and
         ( TABLE3.NUMMER_I  *= TABLE2.NUMMER_I)   ;

The databasedriver gives the following error :
[Microsoft][SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]QUERY contains an illegal
outer-join request.

After talking to Microsoft, they told us to shift to ANSI SQL...
We changed the interface in PBODB50.ini file from

[Microsoft SQL Server]
PBCatalogOwner='dbo'
PBSyntax='MS_SQLSERVER_SYNTAX'

[Microsoft SQL Server]
PBCatalogOwner='dbo'
PBSyntax='WATCOM50_SYNTAX'

Now the miracle happened...
The DW Syntax changed to ANSI SQL, and MS SQL could understand and deliver..

Now the problem is, that two outerjoins between different tables doesn't
work in MS SQlserver,
but works in SQL Anywhere/Oracle.

Syntax example :

SELECT columns
FROM {oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table2  ON Table1.COLUMN = Table2.COLUMN},
{oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table3  ON Table1.COLUMN = Table3.COLUMN},
{oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table4  ON Table1.COLUMN = Table4.COLUMN},
{oj Table2  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table5  ON Table2.COLUMN = Table5.COLUMN}   ;

Any surgestions to this problem?

Regards
Michael Quist
___________________________
email: miq@edbgruppen.dk

-1
Michael

Michael,
If I remember correctly, neither SQL Server (Sybase and MS) support the
concept of a "chained" outer join, where TableA is LOJ'd to TableB, and then
TableB is LOJ'd to TableC.  The restriction is that a table cannot be both
an inner member AND an outer member of a single query.
The only technique I've been able to use so far was to create a View that
resolved the first LOJ (TableA to TableB), then write a query that does a
LOJ from the View to TableC.

Paul Horan
VCI
Springfield, MA

Michael Quist wrote in message ...
>Hi
>We would like to make our powerbuilder program avaible on multible DB
>platforms, but one big problem is OUTER JOINS !
>
>We started on Oracle, no problems.
>// Oracle 7.3.4
>SELECT *
>    FROM TABLE1,
>         TABLE2,
>         TABLE3
>   WHERE ( TABLE1.NUMMER_N06 = TABLE3.NUMMER_N06 (+)) and
>         ( TABLE3.NUMMER_I = TABLE2.NUMMER_I (+))   ;
>
>Then , for the smaller companies, we tried SQL AnyWhere 5.0, no problems.
>// Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5
>SELECT  *
>FROM {oj {oj TABLE1  LEFT OUTER JOIN TABLE3  ON TABLE1.NUMMER_N06 =
>TABLE3.NUMMER_N06}
>                        LEFT OUTER JOIN TABLE2  ON TABLE3.NUMMER_I =
>TABLE3.NUMMER_I}  ;
>
>When we tried the same DW, but against an MS SQL server, using native
driver
>or ODBC, it failed :
>// Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, Beta 3
>SELECT *
>    FROM TABLE1,
>         TABLE2,
>         TABLE3
>   WHERE ( TABLE1.NUMMER_N06  *= TABLE3.NUMMER_N06) and
>         ( TABLE3.NUMMER_I  *= TABLE2.NUMMER_I)   ;
>
>The databasedriver gives the following error :
>[Microsoft][SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]QUERY contains an illegal
>outer-join request.
>
>After talking to Microsoft, they told us to shift to ANSI SQL...
>We changed the interface in PBODB50.ini file from
>
>[Microsoft SQL Server]
>PBCatalogOwner='dbo'
>PBSyntax='MS_SQLSERVER_SYNTAX'

>[Microsoft SQL Server]
>PBCatalogOwner='dbo'
>PBSyntax='WATCOM50_SYNTAX'
>
>Now the miracle happened...
>The DW Syntax changed to ANSI SQL, and MS SQL could understand and
deliver..

>Now the problem is, that two outerjoins between different tables doesn't
>work in MS SQlserver,
>but works in SQL Anywhere/Oracle.
>
>Syntax example :
>
>SELECT columns
>FROM {oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table2  ON Table1.COLUMN = Table2.COLUMN},
>{oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table3  ON Table1.COLUMN = Table3.COLUMN},
>{oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table4  ON Table1.COLUMN = Table4.COLUMN},
>{oj Table2  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table5  ON Table2.COLUMN = Table5.COLUMN}   ;
>

>Any surgestions to this problem?
>

>Regards
>Michael Quist
>___________________________
>email: miq@edbgruppen.dk

-1
Paul
10/2/1998 1:04:28 PM
Paul,

MS  SQL 6.5 supports nested LOJ's when using the LEFT OUTER JOIN syntax. It
does not work when using *= in the Where clause, you will get an "illegal
left outer join request".

--
John De Lello
DelWare Consulting Group

Paul A. Horan <paulh@nospam.twoplus.com> wrote in article
<Ioy2Kuf79GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
> [...]
> >PBCatalogOwner='dbo'
> >PBSyntax='MS_SQLSERVER_SYNTAX'

> >[Microsoft SQL Server]
> >PBCatalogOwner='dbo'
> >PBSyntax='WATCOM50_SYNTAX'
> >
> >Now the miracle happened...
> >The DW Syntax changed to ANSI SQL, and MS SQL could understand and
> deliver..
> >
> >Now the problem is, that two outerjoins between different tables doesn't
> >work in MS SQlserver,
> >but works in SQL Anywhere/Oracle.
> >
> >Syntax example :
> >
> >SELECT columns
> >FROM {oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table2  ON Table1.COLUMN =
Table2.COLUMN},
> >{oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table3  ON Table1.COLUMN = Table3.COLUMN},
> >{oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table4  ON Table1.COLUMN = Table4.COLUMN},
> >{oj Table2  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table5  ON Table2.COLUMN = Table5.COLUMN}

-1
John
10/2/1998 2:24:55 PM
Thanks, John.  Which MS SQL release started supporting the LEFT OUTER JOIN
syntax?

Paul

John De Lello wrote in message <01bdee13$8e597aa0$f001a8c0@delware>...
> [...]
>> >PBCatalogOwner='dbo'
>> >PBSyntax='MS_SQLSERVER_SYNTAX'

>> >[Microsoft SQL Server]
>> >PBCatalogOwner='dbo'
>> >PBSyntax='WATCOM50_SYNTAX'
>> >
>> >Now the miracle happened...
>> >The DW Syntax changed to ANSI SQL, and MS SQL could understand and
>> deliver..
>> >
>> >Now the problem is, that two outerjoins between different tables doesn't
>> >work in MS SQlserver,
>> >but works in SQL Anywhere/Oracle.
>> >
>> >Syntax example :
>> >
>> >SELECT columns
>> >FROM {oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table2  ON Table1.COLUMN =
>Table2.COLUMN},
>> >{oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table3  ON Table1.COLUMN = Table3.COLUMN},
>> >{oj Table1  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table4  ON Table1.COLUMN = Table4.COLUMN},
>> >{oj Table2  LEFT OUTER JOIN Table5  ON Table2.COLUMN = Table5.COLUMN}

-1
Paul
10/5/1998 1:12:19 PM
SQL 6.5 started the support. Here is a clip form the release notes:

Outer Join Syntax
With SQL Server 6.5, the "*=" and "=*" syntax for outer joins can be
replaced with the ANSI-standard join syntax: LEFT OUTER JOIN, RIGHT OUTER
JOIN, and FULL OUTER JOIN.

ANSI-standard join clauses are supported and include:
�	JOIN
�	CROSS JOIN
�	INNER JOIN
�	LEFT OUTER JOIN
�	RIGHT OUTER JOIN
�	FULL OUTER JOIN

Earlier versions of SQL Server joins continue to be supported although they
will be discontinued in a future release.

--

<pb5y1gF89GA.270@forums.powersoft.com>...
> Thanks, John.  Which MS SQL release started supporting the LEFT OUTER
JOIN
> syntax?
>
> Paul
>
> John De Lello wrote in message <01bdee13$8e597aa0$f001a8c0@delware>...
> >Paul,
> >
> >MS  SQL 6.5 supports nested LOJ's when using the LEFT OUTER JOIN syntax.
It
> >does not work when using *= in the Where clause, you will get an
"illegal
> >left outer join request".
> >
> >--
> >John De Lello
> >DelWare Consulting Group
> >Programming solutions for today's complex problems
> >mailto:DelWare@ct2.nai.net
> >

> >Paul A. Horan <paulh@nospam.twoplus.com> wrote in article
> ><Ioy2Kuf79GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
> >> Michael,
> >> If I remember correctly, neither SQL Server (Sybase and MS) support
the
> >> concept of a "chained" outer join, where TableA is LOJ'd to TableB,
and
> >then
> >> TableB is LOJ'd to TableC.  The restriction is that a table cannot be
> >both
> >> an inner member AND an outer member of a single query.
> >> The only technique I've been able to use so far was to create a View
that
> >> resolved the first LOJ (TableA to TableB), then write a query that
does a
> >> LOJ from the View to TableC.
> >>
> >> Paul Horan
> >> VCI
> >> Springfield, MA

> >problems.

> >> driver

> >> deliver..

> >Table2.COLUMN},
Table3.COLUMN},
Table4.COLUMN},
> >;

0
John
10/5/1998 2:39:07 PM
SELECT "C", X.xfertype,
       (SELECT sum(sign(isnull(E.xfertype,0)))
        FROM   xfer E
        WHERE  X.xfertype =* E.xfertype
        AND    E.cause_acctnumb  = 4385555077
        AND    E.cause_acctcatg  = 'DE')
FROM xfertype X, xferaccttype XA
WHERE XA.accttype = 1245
AND   XA.xfertype =  X.xfertype
AND   XA.cause    = 1

When I am executing this SQL in Lunix OS it works fine and returns the
desired result set but when I execute it in SUN SOLRIS , it gives error '
The table 'xfertype' is an inner member of an outer-join clause. This is
not allowed if the table also participates in a regular join clause'.

The problem is in inner sql ..Can anybody tell me why is it behaving like
this.
Please mail me at mailto_anand@yahoo.com

Anand
0
Anand
5/1/2001 1:33:57 PM
MSSQLServer on Linux and Solaris?

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.

<Anand> wrote in message
> SELECT "C", X.xfertype,
>        (SELECT sum(sign(isnull(E.xfertype,0)))
>         FROM   xfer E
>         WHERE  X.xfertype =* E.xfertype
>         AND    E.cause_acctnumb  = 4385555077
>         AND    E.cause_acctcatg  = 'DE')
> FROM xfertype X, xferaccttype XA
> WHERE XA.accttype = 1245
> AND   XA.xfertype =  X.xfertype
> AND   XA.cause    = 1
>
> When I am executing this SQL in Lunix OS it works fine and returns the
> desired result set but when I execute it in SUN SOLRIS , it gives error '
> The table 'xfertype' is an inner member of an outer-join clause. This is
> not allowed if the table also participates in a regular join clause'.
>
> The problem is in inner sql ..Can anybody tell me why is it behaving like
> this.
> Please mail me at mailto_anand@yahoo.com
>
> Anand

0
Terry

Powerbuilder 6.5 & SQL-server 6.5 <> 7.0
Hi everyone, I'm using PB 6.5 with SQS 6.5 Everything is normal until I port the program build in this environment to a similar environment with the only difference that the database is SQS 7.0 This database is slightly different - in some tables, the fields are larger than in the SQS 6.5 database (but the same type - char). When the program retrieves rows in that environment I get the error message 'Data conversion resulted in overflow ...' I have several other environments with sqs 6.5 with the same difference (larger fields) where the program doesn't rep...

Calling a MS-SQL-Server 6.5 StoredProcedure from PowerBuilder 6.0
Does anyone know if there is a difference from PB 5.0 to PB 6.0 in the native MSS SQL-Server driver by calling StoredProcedures with OUTPUT arguments. I do have the following problem: - I've got a StoredProcedures with a char, varchar(50) or even with a datetime OUTPUT argument. - In PowerBuilder I do: DECLARE sp_test PROCEDURE FOR schsp_test_char @psReturn = :sReturn OUTPUT USING SQLCA; EXECUTE sp_test; FETCH sp_test into :sReturn; CLOSE sp_test; - If I execute this statement I get the following error: Implicit conversion from datatype 'varch...

PB 6.5/7.0 to SQL Server 7.0
Hi everybody, I hope someboby can help me. 1. What do i have to do to connect SQL Server 7.0 using PB6.5 with native=20 drivers? 2. I have so many problems using PB7.0 and SQL Server 7.0, in fact i can=B4= t=20 use it due to: - The connection through native drivers is too slow, and almost impossible = using more than one transcction object. - It's very often to get Dr. Watson messages that close everything, so that= =20 i can't develop. Thanks in advanced. Ulises Gomez RCI Mexico ulises.gomez@latam.rci.com 1. Upgrade to 6.5.1 2. Which version/build of PB7?...

PB 6.51 -> MS SQL Server 6.5/7.0 DBProcess Dead
I have an app that is connecting two servers and doing data movement back and forth between the two. I am getting a DBProcess is dead message. Any suggestions. I have noticed that the machines are on the same hub but have wildly different TCP/IP addresses ( one is something like 170.1... the other 50.29... ). Any suggestions on things to look for? I am pretty sure it's network problems but I don't know what to look for. P.S. - It's the first install at a customer site were trying to do so any help would be appreciated ASAP!!!! Thanks again! ...

problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5
Dear All, I have some problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5 The error message is: Database transaction information not availiable. Call SetTrans or SetTransObject function. I have a window with 1 button and 1 datawindow The datawindow inside contain a SQL statement in the click event of the botton, the script is: parent.dw_1.SettransObject(SQLCA) parent.dw_1.retrieve() Can anyone tell me what is the problem? And how to solve it??? Thank You Very Much!!! It seems that the database connection is not available or not successfully connected. ...

Native Database Interface for MS SQL Server 7.0 and InfoMaker 6.5
Does anyone know if there is a Native Database Interface for MS SQL Server 7.0 and InfoMaker 6.5? My installation has a Native Database Driver for MS SQL Server 6.x. I have looked all over the Sybase site for a possible download and cannot find it. I downloaded the IM6532.exe maintainence release and did not find it in there. Rich Edwards There is no native driver for MSSQL7 in IM6.x. Use the 6 driver. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase Search Deja: http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/s...

ASA and PowerBuilder 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0
I am currently running PB 5.0 with an Oracle 7.3 database. However, there is a great demand for our remote users to gain access to the app. Therefore, I was looking into using ASA to deploy to our remote users. The problem is that stored procedures are not supported with the run-time version of the database engine that gets deployed with the deployment kit. My question is: Does PB 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0 and/or deployment kit allow the run-time engine to support stored procedures. If not, what are some alternatives? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. >My ...

PowerBuilder 6.5.1; MS SQL Server 7.0; ODBC; Text Column
PowerBuilder 6.5.1 ODBC MS SQL Server 7.0 Text Column I can't seem to insert a String with a length of 66,000 char to a Text Column. I get a to big (999) error I've change this in the pbodb60.ini PBMaxTextSize='2147483647' and I've added DBTextLimit='100000' to my SQLCA.DBParm Any Ideas? Best Regards, Adri�n Galv�n Adrian, Do you have this problem if you use the UpdateBlob statement as well, or just with Insert ? Sanjiv. "Adrian Galvan" <Nospam_agalvan@audisys.com> wrote in message news:40896004$1@forums-1-d...

ODBC Error: MS SQL Server 7.0 + PB 6.0 +WINNT 4.0
Hi, I have installed SQL Server 7.0 Standard Ed. on Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4. Then I installed Power Builder 6.0 Enterprise Ed. on the same server machine NT 4.0 + SQL Server 7.0 + PB 6.0 ( no patches for any thing installed) After defining an ODBC DSN and Profile in PB 6.0, when i try to connect from within Profile setup, it connects to the SQL Server 7.0 Database. But when i click on the Tables or Database icons on the toolbar to open the DB or tables, I get an error message like SQLSTATE =S1003 [MICROSOFT] [ODBC DRIVER MANAGER] Program Type Out of Range on the...

Database Administration
In the database administration painter/Procedure Syntax option... When I select a particular stored procedure, many times Powerbuilder is only pulling up the first 10 or 20 lines of the procedure. We are running PB 6.5 Build 444 against SQL Server 7.0. We are using the native driver pbmss60.dll (169 KB, 12/21/1999). Any ideas? ...

Web resources about - Outer Joins, ANSI syntax and MS SQL Server 6.0, 6.5, 7.0 Beta - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Join point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer science , a join point is a point in the control flow of a program . In aspect-oriented programming a set of join points is called ...

Facebook Joins Internet Giants Endorsing Piracy Bill
Facebook and seven major online companies have endorsed an alternative online piracy bill that they believe would keep the Internet open and ...

'Weather nerd' and social media celebrity joins Victoria's list of unsung Bureau of Meteorology heroes ...
Jono Ingram might refer to himself as a 'weather nerd', but to locals in western Victoria, he is an online celebrity.

Academy Signs Kathryn Bigelow, Graydon Shephard Joins Wanda and More
Academy/Reset has signed Oscar-winning director Kathryn Bigelow for representation. She was previously represented by RSA Films. In 2010, Bigelow ...

7 overseas fashion tech startups spent a week with Google in London — we got to join them
Seven overseas fashion tech startups cosied up with Google in London this week as they look to scale their businesses. The five-day exchange ...

Actor Felicia Day joins new cast of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000'
MST3K creator Joel Hodgson announces that Day will join comedian Jonah Ray in the new series.

'Let's fight for our home': Filipinos join global march for climate justice
Over a thousand people gathered in Quezon City on Saturday (November 28), in a local effort to join the worldwide March for Climate Justice. ...

Turkey Downs Russian Plane, Joins With Islamic State: U.S. Should Drop New Ottoman Empire As Ally
By shooting down a Russian plane Turkey has declared itself to be an ally of the Islamic State rather than the West. Washington should drop its ...

Latin American mercenaries, bankrolled by UAE, join Yemen proxy war
Latin American mercenaries, bankrolled by UAE, join Yemen proxy war

Ex-Vodafone executive joins adblocker
Move by Philipp Humm highlights how sector is attracting interest of telecoms industry