OLE DB Problem with SQL 2000 and PB 7

Hi,

I am trying to move an application from MS SQL 7.0 to MS SQL 2000, but I
cannot get the native driver to work with SQL 2000, so I switched to OLE DB,
but I have now run into a very strange error.  I have a datawindow that
connects to a table that has an identity column, using the native driver
when I insert a row the new identity is returned to the datawindow, as i
need that number to copy into another datawindow.  But the number is no
longer returned when I switch to OLE DB, is there some way around this.

I hope someone could help me with this, this is the only thing holding us
back from upgrading to SQL 2000.

Thanks
Terry Hannon
Long Beach Mortgage Company

0
Terry

I have used both MSS and OLE_DB with SQL Server 7 and SQL Server 2000.  Can
no difference on the client side as long as not using any of the SQL Server
2000 only features (e.g. user defined functions, identity information
functions ).

MSS does not support any of the SQL Server 7 or SQL Server 2000 enhancements
(e.g. long varchars )

OLE_DB has numerous minor issues that you have to avoid but is as fast as
MSS and probably no more issues than ODBC.

The configuration that I have been using without serious problems is:

    PB 7.03.10009 ( or PB 7.03.10047 w/ 10009 pbole70.dll )
    MDAC 2.6
    TCP/IP default network protocol.
    Integrated Security ( SSPI ) ( using sp_SetAppRole for application
security after logon )
    Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4 SP6a
    SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7 SP2

"Terry Hannon" <thannon@lbfc.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to move an application from MS SQL 7.0 to MS SQL 2000, but I
> cannot get the native driver to work with SQL 2000, so I switched to OLE
DB,
> but I have now run into a very strange error.  I have a datawindow that
> connects to a table that has an identity column, using the native driver
> when I insert a row the new identity is returned to the datawindow, as i
> need that number to copy into another datawindow.  But the number is no
> longer returned when I switch to OLE DB, is there some way around this.
>
> I hope someone could help me with this, this is the only thing holding us
> back from upgrading to SQL 2000.
>
> Thanks
> Terry Hannon
> Long Beach Mortgage Company

0
Tyler_Cruse
2/13/2001 9:12:40 PM
I have tried using MSS with SQL 2000 but cannot get it to connect.  I always
get the following error "A SQLServer request resulted in a bad return code
or status but no error message was returned".  I have tried everything I can
think of with no success.  Could someone please help me with this.

The configuration that I have been using is:
     PB 7.03.10009
     MDAC (not sure how to check version)
     TCP/IP default network protocol.
     Windows 2000 (SP1)

<Tyler_Cruse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have used both MSS and OLE_DB with SQL Server 7 and SQL Server 2000.
Can
> no difference on the client side as long as not using any of the SQL
Server
> 2000 only features (e.g. user defined functions, identity information
> functions ).
>
> MSS does not support any of the SQL Server 7 or SQL Server 2000
enhancements
> (e.g. long varchars )
>
> OLE_DB has numerous minor issues that you have to avoid but is as fast as
> MSS and probably no more issues than ODBC.
>
> The configuration that I have been using without serious problems is:
>
>     PB 7.03.10009 ( or PB 7.03.10047 w/ 10009 pbole70.dll )
>     MDAC 2.6
>     TCP/IP default network protocol.
>     Integrated Security ( SSPI ) ( using sp_SetAppRole for application
> security after logon )
>     Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4 SP6a
>     SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7 SP2
>

> "Terry Hannon" <thannon@lbfc.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to move an application from MS SQL 7.0 to MS SQL 2000, but I
> > cannot get the native driver to work with SQL 2000, so I switched to OLE
> DB,
> > but I have now run into a very strange error.  I have a datawindow that
> > connects to a table that has an identity column, using the native driver
> > when I insert a row the new identity is returned to the datawindow, as i

> > need that number to copy into another datawindow.  But the number is no
> > longer returned when I switch to OLE DB, is there some way around this.
> >
> > I hope someone could help me with this, this is the only thing holding
us
> > back from upgrading to SQL 2000.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Terry Hannon
> > Long Beach Mortgage Company

0
Terry
2/13/2001 9:48:09 PM
If using sqlca.dbms = 'MSS' then you are using the native driver and
ODBC isn't used.  Have you tried sqlca.dbms = 'trace MSS' to see there
is any useful information in the pbtrace.log file?

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:48:09 -0800, "Terry Hannon" <thannon@lbfc.com>
wrote:

>I have tried using MSS with SQL 2000 but cannot get it to connect.  I always
>get the following error "A SQLServer request resulted in a bad return code
>or status but no error message was returned".  I have tried everything I can
>think of with no success.  Could someone please help me with this.
>
>The configuration that I have been using is:
>     PB 7.03.10009
>     MDAC (not sure how to check version)
>     TCP/IP default network protocol.
>     Windows 2000 (SP1)
>     SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7 SP2
>
>Thanks
>Terry Hannon
>Long Beach Mortgage Company
>

><Tyler_Cruse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have used both MSS and OLE_DB with SQL Server 7 and SQL Server 2000.
>Can
>> no difference on the client side as long as not using any of the SQL
>Server
>> 2000 only features (e.g. user defined functions, identity information
>> functions ).
>>
>> MSS does not support any of the SQL Server 7 or SQL Server 2000
>enhancements
>> (e.g. long varchars )
>>
>> OLE_DB has numerous minor issues that you have to avoid but is as fast as
>> MSS and probably no more issues than ODBC.
>>
>> The configuration that I have been using without serious problems is:
>>
>>     PB 7.03.10009 ( or PB 7.03.10047 w/ 10009 pbole70.dll )
>>     MDAC 2.6
>>     TCP/IP default network protocol.
>>     Integrated Security ( SSPI ) ( using sp_SetAppRole for application
>> security after logon )
>>     Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4 SP6a
>>     SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7 SP2
>>

>> "Terry Hannon" <thannon@lbfc.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am trying to move an application from MS SQL 7.0 to MS SQL 2000, but I
>> > cannot get the native driver to work with SQL 2000, so I switched to OLE
>> DB,
>> > but I have now run into a very strange error.  I have a datawindow that
>> > connects to a table that has an identity column, using the native driver
>> > when I insert a row the new identity is returned to the datawindow, as i
>
>> > need that number to copy into another datawindow.  But the number is no
>> > longer returned when I switch to OLE DB, is there some way around this.
>> >
>> > I hope someone could help me with this, this is the only thing holding
>us
>> > back from upgrading to SQL 2000.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Terry Hannon
>> > Long Beach Mortgage Company

0
NOSPAM_matthew_chest
2/13/2001 10:11:29 PM
Thanks Matthew,

I tried that and received the following:

/*---------------------------------------------------*/
/*                 2/13/2001  14:21                  */
/*---------------------------------------------------*/
(1f20378): LOGIN: (61047 MilliSeconds)
(1f20378):
 Error 10004 (rc -1) : Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does
not exist.  Unable to connect: SQL Server does not exist or network access
denied.
(1f20378): SHUTDOWN DATABASE INTERFACE: (0 MilliSeconds)

This is really weird because I have no problems connecting with OLE DB.

"Matthew Chestnut" <NOSPAM_matthew_chestnut@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If using sqlca.dbms = 'MSS' then you are using the native driver and
> ODBC isn't used.  Have you tried sqlca.dbms = 'trace MSS' to see there
> is any useful information in the pbtrace.log file?
>
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:48:09 -0800, "Terry Hannon" <thannon@lbfc.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have tried using MSS with SQL 2000 but cannot get it to connect.  I
always
> >get the following error "A SQLServer request resulted in a bad return
code
> >or status but no error message was returned".  I have tried everything I
can
> >think of with no success.  Could someone please help me with this.
> >
> >The configuration that I have been using is:
> >     PB 7.03.10009
> >     MDAC (not sure how to check version)
> >     TCP/IP default network protocol.
> >     Windows 2000 (SP1)
> >     SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7 SP2
> >
> >Thanks
> >Terry Hannon
> >Long Beach Mortgage Company
> >

> ><Tyler_Cruse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have used both MSS and OLE_DB with SQL Server 7 and SQL Server 2000.
> >Can
> >> no difference on the client side as long as not using any of the SQL
> >Server
> >> 2000 only features (e.g. user defined functions, identity information
> >> functions ).
> >>
> >> MSS does not support any of the SQL Server 7 or SQL Server 2000
> >enhancements
> >> (e.g. long varchars )
> >>
> >> OLE_DB has numerous minor issues that you have to avoid but is as fast
as
> >> MSS and probably no more issues than ODBC.
> >>
> >> The configuration that I have been using without serious problems is:
> >>
> >>     PB 7.03.10009 ( or PB 7.03.10047 w/ 10009 pbole70.dll )
> >>     MDAC 2.6
> >>     TCP/IP default network protocol.
> >>     Integrated Security ( SSPI ) ( using sp_SetAppRole for application
> >> security after logon )
> >>     Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4 SP6a
> >>     SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7 SP2
> >>

> >> "Terry Hannon" <thannon@lbfc.com> wrote in message

OLE
> >> DB,

> >us

0
Terry
2/13/2001 10:34:33 PM
My guess is that your Microsoft ODBC connection isn't setup properly,
like the server name isn't specified correctly or the protocol the
server is listening on isn't what the client is communicating on.

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:34:33 -0800, "Terry Hannon" <thannon@lbfc.com>
wrote:

>Thanks Matthew,
>
>I tried that and received the following:
>
>/*---------------------------------------------------*/
>/*                 2/13/2001  14:21                  */
>/*---------------------------------------------------*/
>(1f20378): LOGIN: (61047 MilliSeconds)
>(1f20378):
> Error 10004 (rc -1) : Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does
>not exist.  Unable to connect: SQL Server does not exist or network access
>denied.
>(1f20378): SHUTDOWN DATABASE INTERFACE: (0 MilliSeconds)
>
>This is really weird because I have no problems connecting with OLE DB.
>
>Thanks
>Terry Hannon
>Long Beach Mortgage Company
>

>"Matthew Chestnut" <NOSPAM_matthew_chestnut@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If using sqlca.dbms = 'MSS' then you are using the native driver and
>> ODBC isn't used.  Have you tried sqlca.dbms = 'trace MSS' to see there
>> is any useful information in the pbtrace.log file?
>>
>> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:48:09 -0800, "Terry Hannon" <thannon@lbfc.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have tried using MSS with SQL 2000 but cannot get it to connect.  I
>always
>> >get the following error "A SQLServer request resulted in a bad return
>code
>> >or status but no error message was returned".  I have tried everything I
>can
>> >think of with no success.  Could someone please help me with this.
>> >
>> >The configuration that I have been using is:
>> >     PB 7.03.10009
>> >     MDAC (not sure how to check version)
>> >     TCP/IP default network protocol.
>> >     Windows 2000 (SP1)
>> >     SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7 SP2
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >Terry Hannon
>> >Long Beach Mortgage Company
>> >

>> ><Tyler_Cruse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >Can
>> >Server

>> >enhancements

>as

>but I
>OLE
>that
>driver
>as i

>no
>this.

>holding
>> >us

0
NOSPAM_matthew_chest
2/14/2001 2:12:57 PM
Since this is SQL Server 2000,  it is easy to get it installed with some
port other than 1433.  Check in "Server Network Utility" for port being used
by TCP/IP or Name being used for Named Pipes.  The check in "Client Network
Utility" to verify that your client setup matches.  OLE_DB is somewhat
smarter than MSS in that it is registry and AD aware.  When using OLE_DB
with PB7 and no .udl file PB is doing something for an extra 3 or 4 seconds
during connection. I hope that during this 3-4 seconds it is doing something
useful (probably not).

Here is an example for MSS connection using SSPI authentication to SQL
Server 2000 database.

// Profile TEST
SQLCA.DBMS = "MSS Microsoft SQL Server 6.x"
SQLCA.Database = "MSTR"
SQLCA.ServerName = "CRUSW01"
SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
SQLCA.DBParm =
"DateTimeAllowed='Yes',OptSelectBlob=1,PacketSize=2048,Secure=1,AppName='PB8
',Host='CRUSW01'"

> Thanks Matthew,
>
> I tried that and received the following:
>
> /*---------------------------------------------------*/
> /*                 2/13/2001  14:21                  */
> /*---------------------------------------------------*/
> (1f20378): LOGIN: (61047 MilliSeconds)
> (1f20378):
>  Error 10004 (rc -1) : Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or
does
> not exist.  Unable to connect: SQL Server does not exist or network access
> denied.
> (1f20378): SHUTDOWN DATABASE INTERFACE: (0 MilliSeconds)
>
> This is really weird because I have no problems connecting with OLE DB.
>
> Thanks
> Terry Hannon
> Long Beach Mortgage Company
>

> "Matthew Chestnut" <NOSPAM_matthew_chestnut@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If using sqlca.dbms = 'MSS' then you are using the native driver and
> > ODBC isn't used.  Have you tried sqlca.dbms = 'trace MSS' to see there
> > is any useful information in the pbtrace.log file?
> >
> > On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:48:09 -0800, "Terry Hannon" <thannon@lbfc.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I have tried using MSS with SQL 2000 but cannot get it to connect.  I
> always
> > >get the following error "A SQLServer request resulted in a bad return
> code
> > >or status but no error message was returned".  I have tried everything
> can
> > >think of with no success.  Could someone please help me with this.
> > >
> > >The configuration that I have been using is:
> > >     PB 7.03.10009
> > >     MDAC (not sure how to check version)
> > >     TCP/IP default network protocol.
> > >     Windows 2000 (SP1)
> > >     SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7 SP2
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >Terry Hannon
> > >Long Beach Mortgage Company
> > >

> > ><Tyler_Cruse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >Can
> > >Server

> > >enhancements

> as

> but I
> OLE
> that
> driver
> as i

> no
> this.

> holding
> > >us

0
Tyler_Cruse

OLE DB Problems, PB 7, MS-SQL 7
Since one month, we used PB 7.0 with SP 1 and MS SQL 7.0 with SP1. For the connection, we used OLE DB but I discovered that sometimes the connection was OK sometimes not. We have SQL 6.5 and SQL 7.0 drivers installed on each machine. Another problem is that we have got a lot of GPF because PB is not able to use OUTER JOIN with OLE DB. If I read BOL for SQL 7.0 he said that the new native driver for SQL 7.0 is the OLE DB driver ... Does anybody know how to fix the problem (outer join and stability) or if I have to use a different driver. If yes, witch one and with what parameters. T...

OLE DB Problems, PB 7, MS-SQL 7 #2
Since one month, we used PB 7.0 with SP 1 and MS SQL 7.0 with SP1. For the connection, we used OLE DB but I discovered that sometimes the connection was OK sometimes not. We have SQL 6.5 and SQL 7.0 drivers installed on each machine. Another problem is that we have got a lot of GPF because PB is not able to use OUTER JOIN with OLE DB. If I read BOL for SQL 7.0 he said that the new native driver for SQL 7.0 is the OLE DB driver ... Does anybody know how to fix the problem (outer join and stability) or if I have to use a different driver. If yes, witch one and with what parameters. T...

OLE DB Problems, PB 7, MS-SQL 7 #3
Since one month, we used PB 7.0 with SP 1 and MS SQL 7.0 with SP1. For the connection, we used OLE DB but I discovered that sometimes the connection was OK sometimes not. We have SQL 6.5 and SQL 7.0 drivers installed on each machine. Another problem is that we have got a lot of GPF because PB is not able to use OUTER JOIN with OLE DB. If I read BOL for SQL 7.0 he said that the new native driver for SQL 7.0 is the OLE DB driver ... Does anybody know how to fix the problem (outer join and stability) or if I have to use a different driver. If yes, witch one and with what parameters. T...

Problems with db-library and ODBC using with MS SQL Server ver 7.0 PowerBuilder ver 6.5. And OLE-DB for Microsoft OLAP Services
There are many problems when running the aplication using the new ODBC driver for SQL ver 7. Simple, does not work. It�s any patch to this problem ? Using DB Library makes poor query plans in some case using SQL Server 7.0. It�s any path ? It�s any patch or utility to use OLE-DB for connecting Microsoft OLAP Services ? Carlos Lara darsa@solnet.com.mx ...

Connecting to sql server 2000 via ole db in Powerbuilder 7
I'm trying to do a direct connect to sql server 2000 using ole db. I've got one connectstring in my application (powerbuilder) that is accessing the database via odbc. I want to access a different database (for security purposes) using ole db. Is this possible? Here are my parameters: sqlca.dbms = ole db sqlca.database = picard sqlca.logid = picard sqlca.logpass = picard sqlca.servername = picardsqld1 Can someone please help with the syntax on connecting to this database. Thanks... It's possible, but oledb in PB7 doesn't work well at all. It's appa...

OLE-DB & PB 7.03 SetUp for Using SQL-2000
Hi All, How To SetUp OLE-DB Profile for Use SQL-2000, because Microsoft suggest to USE OLE-DB replacing NTWDLIB. TIA Tonny Set up a .udl file and then just reference that. Using .udl file will save 3 seconds in connection time and is much less likely to have crashes from conflicting connection options. Suggest 7.0.3. 10009. builds 10040 - 10052 were broken for ole_db access to SQL Server. Builds 10061 and higher seem OK but not a lot of experience yet. "Tonny Satria" <Tonny_Satria@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message news:hSzU$PI1AHA.191@forums.sybase.c...

MS SQL 7
Hi, I'm using MSSQL 7 and PB 7.01 trying to connect to a database using OLE DB or ODBC. Both work within the development environment. The problem is with compiled applications. I get the following error message when trying to connect using OLE DB DBMS OLE DB is not supported in your current installation. I get the following error message when trying to connect using ODBC DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current installation. I know this must be a simple thing but ... please help. TIA Stephen Jones stepjone@alscartage.com See my reply in the database group St...

MS SQL 7
Hi, I'm using MSSQL 7 and PB 7.01 trying to connect to a database using OLE DB or ODBC. Both work within the development environment. The problem is with compiled applications. I get the following error message when trying to connect using OLE DB DBMS OLE DB is not supported in your current installation. I get the following error message when trying to connect using ODBC DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current installation. I know this must be a simple thing but ... please help. TIA Stephen Jones stepjone@alscartage.com Make sure you've deployed pbole70.dl...

PIPELINE - PB10
Hello All, We are converting our PB apps to version 10. Thanks to the posts on this site we have been successful setting OLE DB connections and everything appeared to be working fine. I just noticed that at least one of my pipes is not working correctly. It is truncating 1 character off of a field. This worked fine when we were going from sql 7 to sql 7 but when I connect to one server running ms sql 7 and the other using ms sql 2000 using a data pipe in PB 10 it is cutting off a char??? This one blows my mind because there is no script??? We had to make changes to trim s...

Problems saving OLE DB in PB 7
I'm trying to save a DW with one column blob, but it doesn�t save. The column configuration was done according to powerbuilder's help. What can I do? Please, help me!!!!!!!!! Rodrigo, You need to use the SELECTBLOB and UPDATEBLOB functionality to read and write BLOBs. HTH, Greg -- ________________________________________ Gregory R. George Greg_George@AscensionLabs.com Ascension Labs, LLC Visit www.AscensionLabs.com for PB Tips, Tricks, Tools, and Free Objects. Rodrigo Santolin Frisso <rodrigo@vixteam.com.br> wrote in message news:m0t4DrcP$GA....

SQL SERVER 2000 and PB 7.0 problem
I am Running PB ver 7.0 Build 5031 on Windows 2000 with SQL server 2000. I have a created a stored proced in SQL server and it's running a long string of almost size varchar(7600). When I am trying use this procedure in PB 7.0 using ODBC it's returning error message SQL STATE = 22001 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL server] String or binary data would be truncated. Thanks in advance. Meghdeep ...

PROBLEM with PB 7.0.3 AND SQL SERVER 7.0 USING SQL CURSOR
I am having a problem running a sql command with a cursor with Native drivers for MS sql Server 7.0.If i use ODBC or take out the order by clause in the statement it works fine By the way I am running powerbuilder 7.0.3 build 10009 The error code is : (Error 10008 (DB-Library) DB-Library Severity Level 9 Message Text ad token from SQL Server: Datastream processing out of synchronization) here a sample of the code DECLARE cur_Sec1 CURSOR FOR SELECT DISTINCT COL1,COL2 FROM TABLE1 WHERE COL1 = ??? ORDER BY COL1 ASC ; <<<<<<<<<<< ...

PB 7.0.3 DB OLE Col Problem
Hey Everyone, ======================================== Environment: Win2K Pro PB 7.0.3 Build #10077 ASA 7.0.3.2046 ======================================== I am running into a problem with a DB OLE column on a DW. I have a freestyle DW with an OLE column. My key clause is: n_tableid = :retreivearg When I execute the retrieve in preview mode. I get an error "syntax error or access violation." If I change the key clause to read: n_tableid = 5 (or some valid id) it works fine. My ODBC trace shows this: p Library 4e0-3d0 ENTER SQLExecDirect HSTMT ...

Web resources about - OLE DB Problem with SQL 2000 and PB 7 - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Trump’s dig at the NFL, like the rest of his campaign, blames “soft” progressive culture for bare-knuckled ...
... Butkus and Lawrence Taylor. And it’s just a cause that Trump, and the rest of the Republican Party, can’t dare admit: capitalism. The problem ...

Astronomy’s sexual harassment problem gets Congressional attention
Last year, a confidential report was leaked that revealed that University of California, Berkeley had conducted an investigation into one of ...

New free app fixes people’s biggest problem with Netflix
Finding and discovering movies and TV series on Netflix might be an annoying chore for some people. There are many tricks to customize the way ...

America's biggest group of doctors just launched a startup aimed at solving a growing problem with healthcare ...
... care technology could go from "Innovation Stage 1.0" to "Innovation Stage 5.0" "A lot of noise but not very much signal" The main problem, ...

Fewer U.S. teens smoking, but a smoke problem persists
Study shows what it is; lead researcher calls findings "concerning"

Windows tech support: Fixing Internet problems
Common solutions for slowdowns, disconnections, and spotty signals.

Cologne attacks: Does Germany have a problem with sexual assault? (+video)
Activists say violence against women has been ignored for too long – whether the perpetrators are immigrants or native-born Germans.

ESPN Joins In Adrian Peterson Redemption Campaign; Ditka Says "I Never Had A Problem With This"
... once challenging his answers; later, as the Countdown panel reacted, Mike Ditka openly endorsed child abuse and claimed he never had a problem ...