MS SQL

Hello,

I've just upgraded a Powerbuilder application from PB6.5 to
PB 12 (it's a big jump, I know). Anyway, as I was testing
the application most of my issues are really related to the
DB. I am using MS SQL Server 2000, coonecting using OBDC
connection, with my local running on XP Pro SP3 and the DB
server on Server 2000.

One of the most common issue I've seen was this:

SQLSTATE = 01004
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Fractional truncation

Does any know what causes it?

Thanks

TEric
0
Teric

<Teric> wrote in message news:4c3b5921.7226.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hello,
>
> I've just upgraded a Powerbuilder application from PB6.5 to
> PB 12 (it's a big jump, I know). Anyway, as I was testing
> the application most of my issues are really related to the
> DB. I am using MS SQL Server 2000, coonecting using OBDC
> connection, with my local running on XP Pro SP3 and the DB
> server on Server 2000.
>
> One of the most common issue I've seen was this:
>
> SQLSTATE = 01004
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Fractional truncation
>
> Does any know what causes it?

A good starting point is to simply search on the error message - a number of
explanations are available.  Beyond that, it will help to investigate the
actual statements that are causing the error to occur - and providing that
information in future postings.  Since the error is coming from the odbc
driver, I suggest that you enable odbc tracing if you want to dig further.
Keep in mind that sql server 2000 is no longer supported and its use is
declining (drastically, it seems) - the uniqueness of this sort of system
will have an impact on the ability of others to assist.

0
Scott
7/12/2010 8:09:26 PM
I have seen this kind of issue on the fractional seconds of dates.  The
"accuracy" between the different parties ( PB, PC, ODBC driver, SQL Server)
can cause this issue.  The issue can be approached by rounding to "seconds"
when storing datetime values.

The better approach would be to use SNC10 as your database driver over ODBC.

"Scott Morris" <bogus@bogus.com> wrote in message

> <Teric> wrote in message news:4c3b5921.7226.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just upgraded a Powerbuilder application from PB6.5 to
>> PB 12 (it's a big jump, I know). Anyway, as I was testing
>> the application most of my issues are really related to the
>> DB. I am using MS SQL Server 2000, coonecting using OBDC
>> connection, with my local running on XP Pro SP3 and the DB
>> server on Server 2000.
>>
>> One of the most common issue I've seen was this:
>>
>> SQLSTATE = 01004
>> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Fractional truncation
>>
>> Does any know what causes it?
>
> A good starting point is to simply search on the error message - a number
> of explanations are available.  Beyond that, it will help to investigate
> the actual statements that are causing the error to occur - and providing
> that information in future postings.  Since the error is coming from the
> odbc driver, I suggest that you enable odbc tracing if you want to dig
> further. Keep in mind that sql server 2000 is no longer supported and its
> use is declining (drastically, it seems) - the uniqueness of this sort of
> system will have an impact on the ability of others to assist.

0
Tyler
7/14/2010 1:04:44 PM
Thanks for all the reply.  I ended up using SQLNCLI instead
of ODBC.

> I have seen this kind of issue on the fractional seconds
> of dates.  The  "accuracy" between the different parties (
> PB, PC, ODBC driver, SQL Server)  can cause this issue.
> The issue can be approached by rounding to "seconds"  when
> storing datetime values.
>
> The better approach would be to use SNC10 as your database
> driver over ODBC.
>

> "Scott Morris" <bogus@bogus.com> wrote in message
> >
> > <Teric> wrote in message
> news:4c3b5921.7226.1681692777@sybase.com... >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've just upgraded a Powerbuilder application from
> PB6.5 to >> PB 12 (it's a big jump, I know). Anyway, as I
> was testing >> the application most of my issues are
> really related to the >> DB. I am using MS SQL Server 2000
> , coonecting using OBDC >> connection, with my local
> running on XP Pro SP3 and the DB >> server on Server 2000.
> >>
> >> One of the most common issue I've seen was this:
> >>
> >> SQLSTATE = 01004
> >> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Fractional
> truncation >>
> >> Does any know what causes it?
> >
> > A good starting point is to simply search on the error
> > message - a number  of explanations are available.
> > Beyond that, it will help to investigate  the actual
> statements that are causing the error to occur - and
> > providing  that information in future postings.  Since
> > the error is coming from the  odbc driver, I suggest
> > that you enable odbc tracing if you want to dig
> further. Keep in mind that sql server 2000 is no longer
> > supported and its  use is declining (drastically, it
> > seems) - the uniqueness of this sort of  system will
> > have an impact on the ability of others to assist.
0
Teric

How to create SQL Mobile 2005 database from a MS SQL 2005 database?
Hi guys,I'm trying to find solutions to help me in creating a SQL Mobile 2005 database from a SQL 2005 database, with the same table structure and data.May I know how can I achieve this?Thanks.Regards,Jenson Hi Jenson, Visual Studio 2005 or SQL Server 2005 is able to open SQL Mobile 2005 database. However you need either SQL or .NET code to convert SQL Mobile 2005 database this way. Here is an example from MSDN forums which is to convert to xls instead: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=78640&SiteID=1Zhao Ji MaSincerely,Microsoft Online Community Suppo...

New errors access MS SQL Server Database on (CREATE DATABASE and Batch SQL Statement)
------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C2F2CB.0C201FF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm running ActiveState perl 5.8.0 on a WIN2K box with MS SQL Server = 2000. Recently I updated DBD-ODBC to v1.05 and DBI to v1.35 Now I get the following errors executing some sql commands CREATE SQLSTMT:[CREATE DATABASE POMS_SER ON (NAME =3D 'POMS_SER_DAT', = FILENAME =3D 'd:\Database\POMS\POMS_SER_Data.MDF', SIZE =3D 10MB) LOG ON = ( NAME =3D 'POMS_SER_LOG', FILENAME =3D = 'd:\Database\POMS\POMS_S...

intermittent Timeout Error with PowerBuilder App and MS SQL Database
We have a client server application that was developed using powerbuilder. This application has several modules, but one of the modules after working fine for several months, has started giving users Timeout Expired errors when creating a new record. Once this starts, every user in that module will start to get this error and we will have to restart the database. The curious thing is that this only occurs in this 1 of 7 modules. There was a thre started last year Oct 25, 2005, where another user was experiencing a similiar situation, but there was no resolution to it. A quesiton w...

local msde SQL database to host MS SQL 2000 database w/o Enterprise manager possible?
I have msde on my computer and i was wondering if was possible to upload my CSK database from it to my hosts MS SQL 200 database. I dont have Enterprise manager or anything like that but i am using VS.NET The simplest way would be to grap a 3rd party tool that can provide enterprise manager like functionality for you. There are several out there ranging from free to cheap. Search google for MSDE managment tools. You might get lucky and find one that does something similar to DTS for transferring objects and data from one server to another. Otherwise, if you have a version of VS.NET that...

How to set database profile to PowerBuilder 10.5 connect to MS-SQL Server 2000 sp4?
Hi: How to set database profile to PowerBuilder 10.5 connect to MS-SQL Server 2000 sp4? It seems that the special connection inferface for "MSS Microsoft SQL Server" is canceled in PowerBuilder 10.5. I do not want to via ODBC. Thanks! Wu; No, MSS driver (actually Microsoft's NTDBLIB.dll) was cancelled by Bill Gates in SQLServer v7. It was supported in 2000 - but ANSI only with limited functionality and dropped for SS2000 and 2005 in the Unicode world. So your choices are: ODBC, OLE-DB and ADO.net. There is new SNC driver for PB 11 that is simil...

upload image to MS Access database or SQL database
howto upload image, picture,files or binary into the MS Access database or SQL database? and how to read the image, picture, files or binary from the MS Access or SQL database? Anyone have any idea or sample script?Thanks & Regards--"Don't just always label good or bad about something, always have something is invisible from nude eyesight. " Below link could helps you for your question http://authors.aspalliance.com/das/insertimage.aspxSreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti Thank You sreedhark This also http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/fileupload.a...

Need help switching from MS Access database to SQL database
I recently created a form to MS access database web application and it worked fine on my local cpu.  When I published the same web app to my hosting server the program wouldn't work but I couldn't understand.  Well, after researching the matter I found out my hosting server doesn't allow ASP.NET applications that use the aspcompat page directive because of security trust levels.  So, I decided to switch to a SQL database but I can't even test the web application on my local cpu because I get this error "An error has occurred while establishing a connection...

MS Access, MS SQL Express, MS SQL when you should use wich version?
Hi, I'm planning to make a website for a in first part a small user group. There needs to displayed some data in the database.But because the hostings party advices Acces.I like MS SQL Express more, because the size of the visitors is getting very big. The meaning of the project is to make a big website for the complete country. But i can use Access, it works, but does anyone know till how much visitors you can use access, and MS SQL Express ?Of course MS SQL is very nice, but its also very heavy to get a licence.The website is made for free and we need to run it in spare time, also for...

FYI - Interesting difference between Oracle SQL and MS SQL
While converting some code from T-SQL to PL/SQL, I ran across an interesting bit of MS SQL code.  The code looked odd to me so I did a quick experiment to prove what it did.  I was quite surprised by the MS SQL results! In ORACLE: create table testunion (aaa number); insert into testunionselect 2 from dualunion select aaa * aaa from testunion;  select * from testunion;  -- Returns one record, as it should, "2" delete testunion; insert into testunionselect 2 from dualunion allselect aaa * aaa from testunion; select * from testunion; -- Returns one record, ...

RoleManager
Hi, Happy new year to all!! How to use MS-ACCESS database instead of MS-SQL2005 as Rolemanager provider . What are the privileges required for App_Data folder, if I use MS-Access as Rolemanager provider.   Thanks in advance.    ...

Best way to get MS SQL Server database into SQL Anywhere?
What is the easiest way to get a MS SQL Server database into SQL Anywhere? The only way I've been able to do it is to export into a text or dbase file and import, table by table, but my database has around 200 tables and this isn't a workable strategy! Replies by email would be much appreciated. Sarah Howarth Platinum technology, inc. howarth@platinum.com Sarah, There is two ways off the top of my head. The first is to use the scripting options for MS SQL Server and see if that works, that may take some direct manipulation of the Syntax though. The second is to u...

Creating New MS SQL Database using SQL (without path)
Hello Everyone, I have to be able to allow a user of my app to create a new MS SQL Database from within the program. I have found the SQL statement to do it - but it requires a full qualified file name. However, I do not want to put in the path. The user may not know where it should go... The user may be using a Database server - and should not be able to speicify a path... It should use the default directory setup for the DB server. Does anyone know the sytax to do this so that I do not have to specify a path with the file name? I have tried a few times - but does not ...

MS Sql Database
Hi I have access to a MS Sql database from my webhost. I have used MS Acces in the past and created the tables locally then uploaded the MS Access DB. How & what do I use to connect to the MS SQL DB on my web host and how do I create tables within the DB? I'm very new to using and trying to connect to MS Sql DB. Thanks for any help in advance. Cheers kefi2927 kefi2927-------------------------------------------Think big thoughts but, relish small pleasures. Hi, You would either require a SQL Client installation to connect to the Server where SQL Server exists...

Web resources about - MS SQL - sybase.powerbuilder.database

SQL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in a relational data stream management system (RDSMS). Originally based upon relational algebra and tuple relational calculus , SQL consists ...

SQL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in a relational data stream management system (RDSMS). Originally based upon relational algebra and tuple relational calculus , SQL consists ...

SQL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... data held in a relational database management system (RDBMS). Originally based upon relational algebra and tuple relational calculus , SQL ...

Kalen Delaney - SQL Server Resources
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Internals by Kalen Delaney - The definitive guide to the internals and architecture of the Microsoft SQL Server ...

The Worlds Fastest In-Memory SQL Database With JSON Support - MemSQL
MemSQL - the worlds fastest in-memory SQL database - unleashes the potential of Big Data by speeding up accessibility to capture, query, and ...

SQL Server Customer Advisory Team - SQL Server Best Practices
SQL Server best practices, whitepapers and deep technical lessons learned from large SQL Server customer implementations

SQL Server Pro – Your database authority
Practical Microsoft SQL Server advice for DBAs, developers, and BI analysts on DB management, security, T-SQL, performance tuning, backup and ...

PASS - The Professional Association for SQL Server > Home
... Home Learning Center Events Careers Community PASS Chapters Elections About PASS Session Recordings PASS Publications PASS Summit PASS SQLRally ...

MySQL Tutorial: Learn SQL Quickly on the App Store on iTunes
Get MySQL Tutorial: Learn SQL Quickly on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

SQL Joins - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Visual representation of common SQL joins