How do I connect PB 6.5 to Oracle 8.1.6 using Net8.1.6?

I am using PB6.5 (build 444) and I've Installed Oracle client (Net8)
v8.1.6 to connect to Oracle Server 8.1.6.

I can connect via SQL*Plus; however, When i try to connect thru
Powerbuilder i get the following message:
"Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154"

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

0
Suny

Which driver are you trying to use?  The 7.x drivers require the '@' prefix,
the 8.x drivers don't (and will generate such an error message if you provide
it).

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:40:13 -0500,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database
Suny <suny0143@netscape.net> wrote:
>I am using PB6.5 (build 444) and I've Installed Oracle client (Net8)
>v8.1.6 to connect to Oracle Server 8.1.6.
>
>I can connect via SQL*Plus; however, When i try to connect thru
>Powerbuilder i get the following message:
>"Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154"
>

>Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.needhim.org

Bruce
3/8/2001 4:37:10 PM
To be in synch, how do i determine for sure which driver is being used?
I followed your advice and tried connecting via Oracle7.3 with '@'
prefix and it worked.  I am not using the '@' prefix with Oracle 8 and i
still get the error message as listed earlier.

Below are PB Database profiles that i used

// Profile tst
SQLCA.DBMS = "O73 ORACLE 7.3"
SQLCA.LogPass = "*******"
SQLCA.ServerName = "@pwi"
SQLCA.LogId = "system"
SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
SQLCA.DBParm = "PBDBMS=0"

This worked.

// Profile acs
SQLCA.DBMS = "OR8 ORACLE 8.0"
SQLCA.LogPass = "*******"
SQLCA.ServerName = "pwi"
SQLCA.LogId = "system"
SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
SQLCA.DBParm = "PBDBMS=0"

This did not work and i am getting the message "Error while trying to
retrieve text for error ORA-12154".

How can i solve this error?

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] wrote:

> Which driver are you trying to use?  The 7.x drivers require the '@' prefix,
> the 8.x drivers don't (and will generate such an error message if you provide
> it).
>
> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:40:13 -0500,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database
> Suny <suny0143@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> I am using PB6.5 (build 444) and I've Installed Oracle client (Net8)
>> v8.1.6 to connect to Oracle Server 8.1.6.
>>
>> I can connect via SQL*Plus; however, When i try to connect thru
>> Powerbuilder i get the following message:
>> "Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154"
>>

>> Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
>>

> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.needhim.org

Suny
3/8/2001 5:10:16 PM
Check the TNSNAMES.ORA file in the Net8 directory to make sure that it contains
a 'PWI' entry like the one in the SQL*NET 2.x does.  Also look at the SQLNET.ORA
file to determine if it is set up to automatically prefix your domain names.
It's most likely that you either don't have the proper entry in the Net8
TNSNAMES.ORA file, or the entry is named different, or that you don't have
the default domain name prefix set and Net8 is expecting a fully qualified
name.

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:10:16 -0500,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database
Suny <suny0143@netscape.net> wrote:
>To be in synch, how do i determine for sure which driver is being used?
>I followed your advice and tried connecting via Oracle7.3 with '@'
>prefix and it worked.  I am not using the '@' prefix with Oracle 8 and i
>still get the error message as listed earlier.
>
>Below are PB Database profiles that i used
>
>// Profile tst
>SQLCA.DBMS = "O73 ORACLE 7.3"
>SQLCA.LogPass = "*******"
>SQLCA.ServerName = "@pwi"
>SQLCA.LogId = "system"
>SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
>SQLCA.DBParm = "PBDBMS=0"
>
>This worked.
>
>// Profile acs
>SQLCA.DBMS = "OR8 ORACLE 8.0"
>SQLCA.LogPass = "*******"
>SQLCA.ServerName = "pwi"
>SQLCA.LogId = "system"
>SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
>SQLCA.DBParm = "PBDBMS=0"
>
>This did not work and i am getting the message "Error while trying to
>retrieve text for error ORA-12154".
>
>How can i solve this error?
>
>Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] wrote:
>
>> Which driver are you trying to use?  The 7.x drivers require the '@' prefix,
>> the 8.x drivers don't (and will generate such an error message if you provide
>> it).
>>
>> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:40:13 -0500,
>>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database
>> Suny <suny0143@netscape.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I am using PB6.5 (build 444) and I've Installed Oracle client (Net8)
>>> v8.1.6 to connect to Oracle Server 8.1.6.
>>>
>>> I can connect via SQL*Plus; however, When i try to connect thru
>>> Powerbuilder i get the following message:
>>> "Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154"
>>>

>>> Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
>>>

>> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
>> http://www.needhim.org
>>
>> ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
>> http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.needhim.org

Bruce
3/9/2001 4:01:20 PM
Do not use OR8, but O84 driver.  OR8 is for Oracle 803 only.
You need to install PB 651 and than patch it up.  I use build 1264 and it
seems to work quite well.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.

"Suny" <suny0143@netscape.net> wrote in message
> To be in synch, how do i determine for sure which driver is being used?
> I followed your advice and tried connecting via Oracle7.3 with '@'
> prefix and it worked.  I am not using the '@' prefix with Oracle 8 and i
> still get the error message as listed earlier.
>
> Below are PB Database profiles that i used
>
> // Profile tst
> SQLCA.DBMS = "O73 ORACLE 7.3"
> SQLCA.LogPass = "*******"
> SQLCA.ServerName = "@pwi"
> SQLCA.LogId = "system"
> SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
> SQLCA.DBParm = "PBDBMS=0"
>
> This worked.
>
> // Profile acs
> SQLCA.DBMS = "OR8 ORACLE 8.0"
> SQLCA.LogPass = "*******"
> SQLCA.ServerName = "pwi"
> SQLCA.LogId = "system"
> SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
> SQLCA.DBParm = "PBDBMS=0"
>
> This did not work and i am getting the message "Error while trying to
> retrieve text for error ORA-12154".
>
> How can i solve this error?
>
> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] wrote:
>
> > Which driver are you trying to use?  The 7.x drivers require the '@'
prefix,
> > the 8.x drivers don't (and will generate such an error message if you
provide
> > it).
> >
> > On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:40:13 -0500,
> >  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database
> > Suny <suny0143@netscape.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I am using PB6.5 (build 444) and I've Installed Oracle client (Net8)
> >> v8.1.6 to connect to Oracle Server 8.1.6.
> >>
> >> I can connect via SQL*Plus; however, When i try to connect thru
> >> Powerbuilder i get the following message:
> >> "Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154"
> >>

> >> Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
> >>

> > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> > http://www.needhim.org
> >
> > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Terry
3/12/2001 5:05:14 PM
I am encountering a related problem.
On a Windows2000 machine with PB6.5 app using Net8, I got an ORA-12560
error 'Unable to connect', when I login with server name as @qa51x. After I
clicked ok on the message and try again, then it goes through fine.
The sqlnet client trace file indicates following connection that results in
error :
niotns: Calling address:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Program
Files\D9505.1\Diamond\app_diam.exe)(HOST=W000767)(USER=JAnderson))))
nscall: connecting...
nsopen: opening transport...
nserror: nsres: id=0, op=65, ns=12560, ns2=0; nt[0]=530, nt[1]=0, nt[2]=0
nsopen: unable to open transport
nioqper:  error from nscall
nioqper:    nr err code: 0
nioqper:    ns main err code: 12560
nioqper:    ns (2)  err code: 0
nioqper:    nt main err code: 530
nioqper:    nt (2)  err code: 0
nioqper:    nt OS   err code: 0
niqme:  reporting ns (2) error: (12560) as rdbms err (12560)
niotns: Couldn't connect, returning 12560

The second try, however, uses the correct entry in tnsnames :
nnfotran: Checking local tnsnames.ora file
nncpldf_load_addrfile: initial load of names file
c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
nncpldf_load_addrfile: success
nnftqnm: Using tnsnames.ora address (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS
= (COMMUNITY = tcp.world) (PROTOCOL = TCP) (Host = zoe) (Port = 1522)))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = qa51X))) for name qa51x.world

I tried using service name without prefix @, but to no avail.

Sqlnet file is pretty standard :
AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 2147483647
trace_level_client = off
trace_file_client = sqlnet
trace_directory_client=C:\ORACLE\ORA81\network\trace
log_file_client = sqlnet
log_directory_client=C:\ORACLE\ORA81\network\log
names.default_domain = world
name.default_zone = world

There is no problem running sqlplus with the same settings.
Any idea on what may cause the problem ?
Thanks,
Philip Hoi,
philip.hoi@ps.net

0
Philip_Hoi
3/13/2001 11:56:04 PM
I make it a habit of adding the tnsnames_admin entry in the registry.  It
solves a lot of pathing issues.  Mine looks like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE]
"TNS_ADMIN"="I:\\ORANT\\NETWORK\\ADMIN"

If you are not using the Names service, comment out the 'names' lines in the
sqlnet.ora file:
names.default_domain = world
name.default_zone = world

--

<Philip_Hoi> wrote in message
> I am encountering a related problem.
> On a Windows2000 machine with PB6.5 app using Net8, I got an ORA-12560
> error 'Unable to connect', when I login with server name as @qa51x. After
> clicked ok on the message and try again, then it goes through fine.
> The sqlnet client trace file indicates following connection that results
in
> error :
> niotns: Calling address:

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=ora
cleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')))(CONNECT
_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Program
> Files\D9505.1\Diamond\app_diam.exe)(HOST=W000767)(USER=JAnderson))))
> nscall: connecting...
> nsopen: opening transport...
> nserror: nsres: id=0, op=65, ns=12560, ns2=0; nt[0]=530, nt[1]=0, nt[2]=0
> nsopen: unable to open transport
> nioqper:  error from nscall
> nioqper:    nr err code: 0
> nioqper:    ns main err code: 12560
> nioqper:    ns (2)  err code: 0
> nioqper:    nt main err code: 530
> nioqper:    nt (2)  err code: 0
> nioqper:    nt OS   err code: 0
> niqme:  reporting ns (2) error: (12560) as rdbms err (12560)
> niotns: Couldn't connect, returning 12560
>
> The second try, however, uses the correct entry in tnsnames :
> nnfotran: Checking local tnsnames.ora file
> nncpldf_load_addrfile: initial load of names file
> c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
> nncpldf_load_addrfile: success
> nnftqnm: Using tnsnames.ora address (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS
> = (COMMUNITY = tcp.world) (PROTOCOL = TCP) (Host = zoe) (Port = 1522)))
> (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = qa51X))) for name qa51x.world
>
> I tried using service name without prefix @, but to no avail.
>
> Sqlnet file is pretty standard :
> AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF
> SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 2147483647
> trace_level_client = off
> trace_file_client = sqlnet
> trace_directory_client=C:\ORACLE\ORA81\network\trace
> log_file_client = sqlnet
> log_directory_client=C:\ORACLE\ORA81\network\log
> names.default_domain = world
> name.default_zone = world
>
> There is no problem running sqlplus with the same settings.
> Any idea on what may cause the problem ?
> Thanks,
> Philip Hoi,
> philip.hoi@ps.net

0
Terry

PB 6.5.1, Connect to Oracle 8.1.6.3 with PBO7360.DLL (v6.5.1.620)
Hey, I've got a developer that I can't get to connect to Oracle from within the PB dev environment (PB 6.5.1). tnsping is fine, all the other Oracle utilities as well, as non-Oracle programs can connect just fine, but just not PB. If you try to configure the database connection under Oracle7, @tns:sun3500 the returned error code is ORA-01019, and then ORA-12514 (if you try again). He has the Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 SQL-net client installed. I have the same SQL-Net on my machine, and it works fine. We've tried SQL-Net 8... as well no difference, and we've re-installed PB...

PB 6.5.1, Connect to Oracle 8.1.6.3 with PBO7360.DLL (v6.5.1.620)
Hey, I've got a developer that I can't get to connect to Oracle from within the PB dev environment (PB 6.5.1). tnsping is fine, all the other Oracle utilities as well, as non-Oracle programs can connect just fine, but just not PB. If you try to configure the database connection under Oracle7, @tns:sun3500 the returned error code is ORA-01019, and then ORA-12514 (if you try again). He has the Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 SQL-net client installed. I have the same SQL-Net on my machine, and it works fine. We've tried SQL-Net 8... as well no difference, and we've re-installed PB...

Memory error on connect after disonnect NT4 / ORACLE 8.1.6 /PB 6.5.1
Hi, With this code, I have a memroy error on the line connect. It's not doing it on debug. I am very concerned... COMMIT ; Disconnect ; IF SQLCA.SQLCode = -1 THEN .... END IF Destroy(SQLCA) SQLCA = Create u_transaction ls_database = ProfileString (App.is_fichierIni, "Environnement", "Database", "") SQLCA.DBMS = ProfileString (App.is_fichierIni, ls_database , "DBMS", "") SQLCA.ServerName = ProfileString (App.is_fichierIni, ls_database, "ServerName", "") SQLCA.AutoCommit = False SQLCA.D...

PB 6.5.1 against Oracle 8.1.6
We are planning to upgrade our Powerbuilder 6.5.1 app running against Oracle 7.3.4.4 to run against Oracle 8.1.6. It seems that a lot of people are doing the same thing. However, people keep referring to obtaining a later build number of Powerbuilder. Am I understanding this correctly that that versions of Powerbuilder have multiple builds. For instance, Powerbuilder 6.5.1 has multiple builds ? How do you determine the current build number you are running ? Help..About does not work. Where can I get the latest build ? I do not plan to use the new features of Oracle 8.1.6 so...

PB 6.5.1 on Oracle 8.1.6 :Any Issues
Hi, We have a highly stable production environment running a PB application (Pb Enterprise/32 6.5.1) on Oracle 8.0.6. Oracle is being migrated to Oracle 8.1.6 and I would like to know any known issues to staying with Pb 6.5 on Oracle 8i. Do we have to migrate to Pb 7.0. Are there any connectivity issues ? Any info or pointers to info sources would be greatly welcome ... Thanks in advance We have been unable to get our pb6.5 app to work reliably against 8.1.6. The Oracle ODBC drivers supplied with 8.1.6 seem to be the problem source. Our 8.1.6 clients use MS Oracle OD...

Connecting Metaworks 6.1.5 to Oracle 8.1.6
I am setting up the ODBC connection from a Windows NT client running PowerDesigner DataArchitect and Metaworks 6.1.5, and Oracle 8.1.6 Net8, to Windows NT server running Oracle 8.1.6 Server Enterprise Edition. I have installed the following ODBC drivers in C:\Winnt\System32: Intersolv DataDirect pbor712.dll 3.01.0002 Intersolv DataDirect pdor712.dll 3.01.0000 Microsoft ODBC for Oracle msorcl32.dll 2.573.4202.00 Oracle ODBC Driver sqora32.dll 8.01.06.00 My Oracle Net8 8.1.6 service identification for the database where the Metaworks schema is located has the following properties: S...

PB 6.5.1 & Oracle 8.1.6
We have upgraded to 8.1.6 Oracle database with PB 6.5.1 Build 1206. Our latest problem with the 8.1.6 database is an ORA 6502 on some stored procedures we are calling from a datawindow. It is intermittent, but when the users get it, I can re-produce it but then it will disappear with no changes on our part. Just wondered if it had been noted before and if there is a known problem. It appears to be happening ONLY when we are using the O84 dll, it never happens if we use the O73 dll. I re-compiled with the latest release EBF for 6.5.1 and we seem to have the same errors. We have...

SOS: Sync with Oracle 8.1.6.1.0 using 8.1.6.1.0 ODBC Driver
Help! If any customer has successfully replicated bi-directionally from ASA7 to Oracle 8i (8.1.6) using the Oracle 8.1.6 Oracle ODBC Driver, we would appreciate any insight you may have concerning the small number of steps involved in implementing replication. I may be contacted directly at (206) 933-4956. Martin Douglas Senior Data Architect e-Commerce Group Food Services of America Please always specify the version and MORE importantly the BUILD number of ASA you are using with each post. If you are having problems with this Oracle driver, some of our customers hav...

CLOBs, PB 6.5 app and Oracle 7.2.3->8.1.6 or 8.1.7
Hi All, I tested my PB 6.5 app with an Oracle 8.1.6 database where LONG fields have been converted into CLOBs, and the app refused to deal with CLOBs. For now, I'm okay, because (for other reasons) the CLOB conversion has been delayed. But have other people found good results accessing these new Oracle types from PB applications? What have your experiences been? Thanks, Linda ...

PB 6.5.1 and Oracle 8.1.6
Would appreciate any advice on this. Getting error: PB60 caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:0200524f on datawindow Retrieve() with PB 6.5.1 & EBF 1216 installed when using O84 database interface. All objects regenerated after installing EBF 1216. The datawindow retrieves rows from just one table. Same result if using the base PB 6.5.1 Maintenance Release and just the PBO8460.dll (build 1173). Database is Oracle 8.1.6, Oracle8i client installed on the PC running Windows 95 B. I can retrieve rows with no problem from same table in data manipu...

Urgent
We are attempting to migrate a PB application running on Oracle 8.0.5 to Oracle 8.1.6 for a client. This is a new install of Oracle8i on a WIN/NT 4.0 SP6 server. We are attempting to use a Win98 w/s connected thru TCP/IP. We've loaded the 8i client on the workstation and sqlplus works fine. We've regenerated the application using PB6.5.1 bld 1173 and are using the correct runtime dlls (pbvm60.dll bld 1173, pbo8460.dll bld 1173, etc. ). When the application is ran, it seems to connect to the database for ID validation but then gets a invalid page fault in <unknown> at...

PB 6.5.1 Win 98 and Personal Oracle 8.1.6
I am having trouble trying to connect my PB to Personal Oracle 8i. Here is what I have: PB 6.5 installed. Downloaded the PB 6.5 EBF Build 1264 Included the "O84 Oracle8.4" in my PB.INI file Running Personal Oracle 8i ver. 8.1.5 It lets me set up the connection, but when I try to connect (with either O84 driver or the O73 driver I get this error: Hmm.. now that I am connected to the internet it didn't crash but I recieved this instead: ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name. What do I need to do? Thanks, Mike Leave the servername blank. ...

Latest Oracle 8 driver for PB 6.5 (NOT 6.5.1)
What is the latest Oracle 8 driver I can use with 6.5? 6.5.1 is not an option for me, it constantly GPFs when I try to regenerate my app, so I have to stay with 6.5, which is very stable. Thanks, Jacek What build of 6.5 are you on? -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Canadian Forest Oil Ltd. Check out Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn Jacek Furmankiewicz <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote in message news:S6#U0REZ$GA.303@forums.sybase.com... > What is the latest Oracle 8 driver I can use with 6.5? > > 6.5.1 is not an option for me...

PowerBuilder 6.5 and Oracle 8.1.6
I'm a little out of the loop. We have PowerBuilder applications in 6.5 currently running with Oracle 7.3.4. We will be upgrading all Oracle to 8.1.6. We have heard that PowerBuilder 6.5 isn't supported with Oracle 8.1.6, but I haven't been able to confirm on Sybase website. I have seen a lot of problems listed in the newsgroups. 1. Is this true and 2. Do any of the releases support Oracle 8.1.6... like PowerBuilder 8.0? Katie For information on supported version , please look at : TechDoc # 1011566 Notice from Sybase to Customers: Support for Using PowerBuil...

Web resources about - How do I connect PB 6.5 to Oracle 8.1.6 using Net8.1.6? - sybase.powerbuilder.database

First Capital Connect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( FCC ) is a British train operating company , owned by FirstGroup , operating the Thameslink Great Northern franchise . FCC operates passenger ...

Connect
mobile photography technology, culture and community www.dpreview.com News Reviews Features Phones Tablets Cameras Apps Forums Mobile photography ...

CloudCraze Connects Consumers To Facebook Brands Via Cloud Technology
Brands on Facebook are always looking for new, efficient ways to connect with customers . CloudCraze, which recently released its 3.0 e-commerce ...

Law Firm Partners Need To Connect Personally With Each Other To Manage Their Firm Well Together
... private lawyers must remember that their firms are businesses (if not typical businesses), in order to run their firms well, they need to connect ...

"When Chris Wallace asks Bush if he squandered his initial advantage by failing to come up with a 'message' ...
"... which the media cares about more than he does. Instead, Bush wants to talk about how he's 'on the ballot in every state,' which is 'hard' ...

How Zack Snyder Probably Will Connect Batman V Superman To Justice League
Just like the title suggests, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will lay the foundation for the Justice League, and director Zack Snyder is ...

​How to connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi
Access a more secure connection from anywhere.

Google Search Connects Trump To Hitler
Searching for Trump's book suggests Mein Kampf as related search

Salesforce Connect Simplifies Enterprise App Data Integration
DAILY VIDEO: Salesforce Connect improves data integration for enterprise apps; VTech admits lack of database security opened door to hack; Microsoft's ...

Entrepreneur Sets Goal To Connect Everyone To Needed Healthcare; She's Off To A Good Start
Grace Garey is a young social entrepreneur whose goal is to connect every person on the planet to needed healthcare. She's off to a good start. ...