Bad Return Code (MS SQL Server 6.5 & PB 5.0.04)

Hi there!

We have a PB 5.0.04 application that runs without any problem from a
Windows 95 workstation. When a user tries to work with it from a Windows NT
workstation or directly from the Windows Nt server where the database is
installed, he receives some errors that we don't understand. Can anyone of
you help us with some ideas? Thanks in advance for your input.

The situation is this:

DBMS: 				MS SQL Server 6.5 Service Pack 3
Server's Operating System:	Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3.0
DBMS Client: 			Client of MS SQL Server 6.5 Ver 1996.04.02
PowerBuilder DLLs: 		Ver 5.0.04.75

The application has several embedded SQL sentences that use variables of
the PowerBuilder script in the select (Select .... INTO vble) as well as in
the "Where Clause". When the application sends a query to be executed on
the DBMS, the user receives this message:

	"A SQLServer request resulted in a bad return code or status but no error
message was present"

and after that he can not do anything else because no data was retrieved.

We wonder what it can be causing the problem since the same application run
from a Windows 95 machine works without any problem and without reporting
any message like the one above.

Thanks.

Lina Maria Londo�o Mesa
South America
llondono@psl.com.co

-1
PSL

Strange indeed. Select into...hmmm...have you tried setting disablebind=1 in
the dbparm of your transaction object before you connect to the database? If
that doesn't help, you might find extra information by turning the database
trace on. You can do this by prefixing the dbms property of your transaction
object with TRACE like Sqlca.dbms=TRACE MSS. This will create a pbtrace.log
file which you can examine.

HTH
--
- Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands
  Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115

PSL <llondono@psl.com.co> wrote in message
01be013a$1238dd00$110a0a0a@LinaL...
>Hi there!
>
>We have a PB 5.0.04 application that runs without any problem from a
>Windows 95 workstation. When a user tries to work with it from a Windows NT
>workstation or directly from the Windows Nt server where the database is
>installed, he receives some errors that we don't understand. Can anyone of
>you help us with some ideas? Thanks in advance for your input.
>
>The situation is this:
>
>DBMS: MS SQL Server 6.5 Service Pack 3
>Server's Operating System: Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3.0
>DBMS Client: Client of MS SQL Server 6.5 Ver 1996.04.02
>PowerBuilder DLLs: Ver 5.0.04.75
>
>The application has several embedded SQL sentences that use variables of
>the PowerBuilder script in the select (Select .... INTO vble) as well as in
>the "Where Clause". When the application sends a query to be executed on
>the DBMS, the user receives this message:
>
> "A SQLServer request resulted in a bad return code or status but no error
>message was present"
>
>and after that he can not do anything else because no data was retrieved.
>
>We wonder what it can be causing the problem since the same application run
>from a Windows 95 machine works without any problem and without reporting
>any message like the one above.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Lina Maria Londo�o Mesa
>South America
>llondono@psl.com.co

-1
Eric
10/27/1998 6:05:37 AM
Hi !

Try this:
In the MS SQL Client Configuration Utility,
clear the checkbox 'Use International Settings'.

I don't know why, but this helped me.

---------------------------
Jaanus Eidast
Gennet Lab
Pepleri 32, Tartu, 51010, Estonia
Phone: +372 (7) 420047
Fax: +372 (7) 420236
E-mail: jaanus@gennet.ee

PSL wrote in message <01be013a$1238dd00$110a0a0a@LinaL>...
>Hi there!
>
>We have a PB 5.0.04 application that runs without any problem from a
>Windows 95 workstation. When a user tries to work with it from a Windows NT
>workstation or directly from the Windows Nt server where the database is
>installed, he receives some errors that we don't understand. Can anyone of
>you help us with some ideas? Thanks in advance for your input.
>
>The situation is this:
>
>DBMS: MS SQL Server 6.5 Service Pack 3
>Server's Operating System: Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3.0
>DBMS Client: Client of MS SQL Server 6.5 Ver 1996.04.02
>PowerBuilder DLLs: Ver 5.0.04.75
>
>The application has several embedded SQL sentences that use variables of
>the PowerBuilder script in the select (Select .... INTO vble) as well as in
>the "Where Clause". When the application sends a query to be executed on
>the DBMS, the user receives this message:
>
> "A SQLServer request resulted in a bad return code or status but no error
>message was present"
>
>and after that he can not do anything else because no data was retrieved.
>
>We wonder what it can be causing the problem since the same application run
>from a Windows 95 machine works without any problem and without reporting
>any message like the one above.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Lina Maria Londo�o Mesa
>South America
>llondono@psl.com.co

1
Jaanus

MS SQL Server 6.5 & PB 5.0.x
Is it necessary to install the pb stored procedures in the master db table ? The help says that it is not necessary, but PB gives me an error msg ("Catalog tables could not be created and are not available for use.") when trying to connect to a db. Scott...... The first person to connect to the database through PB must have dbo or a subset of dbo privileges or PB won't be able to create the catalog tables. Mickey pottsgf@swbell.net >Is it necessary to install the pb stored procedures in the master db table >? The help says that it is not necessary, but PB...

Identity Column
Using PB 5.0 and MS SQL 6.5 After an embeded Insert Statement, I use the following to get the value assigned by the Identity column : INT emp_id DECLARE get_value DYNAMIC CURSOR FOR SQLSA ; PREPARE SQLSA FROM "SELECT @@identity"; OPEN DYNAMIC get_value ; FETCH get_value INTO :emp_id ; CLOSE get_value; The emp_id returned seems to always be NULL. It is supposed to be the last (autoincrement) number assigned to the record inserted into the Employees table. Does anyone know why I am getting a NULL instead of a real value? The column is defined as an Identity in ...

Powerbuilder 6.5 & SQL-server 6.5 <> 7.0
Hi everyone, I'm using PB 6.5 with SQS 6.5 Everything is normal until I port the program build in this environment to a similar environment with the only difference that the database is SQS 7.0 This database is slightly different - in some tables, the fields are larger than in the SQS 6.5 database (but the same type - char). When the program retrieves rows in that environment I get the error message 'Data conversion resulted in overflow ...' I have several other environments with sqs 6.5 with the same difference (larger fields) where the program doesn't rep...

PB 5.0 cursor fetch error using MS SQL Server 6.5 (Service Pack 5)
We have PB5.0.02 and are upgrading to PB5.0.04 for Y2K compliance. Both are 16 bit. We have been using MS SQL Server 6.50.201 (the original release). Everything has been fine. We have just put MS SQL Server 6.50.415 (Service Pack 5) on a test server for Y2K compliance and are getting cursor fetch errors using either version of PB5.0. The error is 10037 "unexpected EOF from SQL Server." In looking at the SQL error log we see an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error message involving sp_cursorfetch. Does this rings any bells with anyone? Is there an upgraded dll (or dlls) ...

PB 5.0 and MS SQL Server 6.5
I am migrating from SQL Server 6.0 to 6.5 and am wondering if there are any new drivers needed. The current driver is PBMSS050.DLL. Regards Chris Wilson chris.wilson@entex.com In article <35411705.278D@entex.com>, chris.wilson@entex.com says... > I am migrating from SQL Server 6.0 to 6.5 and am wondering if there are > any new drivers needed. The current driver is PBMSS050.DLL > The latest PBMSS050.DLL driver is the one in the 5.0.04 maintenance release. I don't believe there is a new driver specific for 6.5. WHat version of PB are you using? -- ...

PB 5.0 (16 bit) cursor fetch error using MS SQL Server 6.5 (Service Pack 5)
We have PB5.0.02 and are upgrading to PB5.0.04 for Y2K compliance. Both are 16 bit. We have been using MS SQL Server 6.50.201 (the original release). Everything has been fine. We have just put MS SQL Server 6.50.415 (Service Pack 5) on a test server for Y2K compliance and are getting cursor fetch errors using either version of PB5.0. The error is 10037 "unexpected EOF from SQL Server." In looking at the SQL error log we see an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error message involving sp_cursorfetch. Does this rings any bells with anyone? Is there an upgraded dll (or dlls) ...

Help me!!! PB 5.0 and MS SQL Server 6.5 SP5a
After I upgraded my MS SQL Server 6.5 with SP 5a, I found that I couldn't get the query results of database in powerbuilder 5.0. And when I used Database Pointer of PB5.0 to query table, PB 5.0 give a message "XX's data type is not support." and nothing be retrieved. sander_han@hotmail.com This is being addressed in PB 5.0.04, BECAUSE MS SQL Server 6.5 SP5 is required for Y2K. A fix is not publically available yet, but I believe it is imminent. Jim O'Neil Sybase Technical Support joneil@sybase.com A-B-C wrote: > After I upgraded my MS...

PB 5 & 6.5 w/ MS SQL 7.0
Can anyone speak to any compatibility problems w/ using PB 5 & 6.5 w/ Microsoft SQL Server 7.0? We are planning on upgrading to SQL 7.0, but have a few apps in both PB6.5 & PB5. Unfortunately, one of these is vendor supplied so we can't upgrade to PB7. I was specifically wondering if there were any problems using native SQL 7.0 drivers w/ the PB6.5 & 5 dlls (that were made before SQL 7.0 was a reality.) Or are there updated drivers for this? any help/experiences offered would be appreciated. thanks!! -- Travis Hettenbach hettenb@kochind.com Me too have th...

PB 6.5 AND MS SQL SERVER 6.5
Hi, I have recently converted an 16-bit PB5.0 application to PB6.5. This application goes against a MS SQL SERVER 6.5 database. I have noticed now that the new application won't release locks on tables when I do an insert or update. This application has never had explicit commits coded and I haven't seen soo many locks on tables before until the recent powerbuilder upgrade. Does anyone have some insight on this situation? Chris Edwards Saks Incorporated 331 W. Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee, WI 53203 chris_edwards@saksinc.com ...

PB 6.5 & MS SQL 6.5
This is probably an MS SQL issue but I figured it was worth presenting here for some possible insight. Any help is greatly appreciated. - I have two tables: BATCH & EMPLOYER_GROUP - BATCH is a child of EMPLOYER_GROUP - EMPLOYER_GROUP_ID is the primary key column in EMPLOYER_GROUP and a foreign key column in BATCH - The EMPLOYER_GROUP_ID column in BATCH may be null - There is current only one record in BATCH. The EMPLOYER_GROUP_ID column is null in that record. The following SELECT does not (in my opinion) work correctly: SELECT * FROM BATCH, EMPLOYER_GROUP ...

PB 5.0.03(04) vs. MS SQL 6.5 sp5a
Dear friends, We recently upgraded our MSSQL 6.5 to have the service pack of 5a. Upon doing so our PowerBuilder 5.0.03(04) database tables lost their 'data types' when going into PB's database painter. Does anyone know why 5.0.03(04) cannot see the 'data types'? Is there a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance for any help. Their is an EBF (EBF2) for 5.0.04 that fixes this problem. However, given that PB7 is out and PB5 is or will soon be an unsupported product, I would recommend upgrading to PB6 or PB7 if at all possible. On Tue, 18 May 1999...

Web resources about - Bad Return Code (MS SQL Server 6.5 & PB 5.0.04) - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Sample return mission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A sample return mission is a spacecraft mission with the goal of returning tangible samples from an extraterrestrial location to Earth for analysis. ...

Futurama is set to return – as an iOS game
... Via Engadget Filed under: Apps Visit 9to5Mac to find more special coverage of Apps . What do you think? Discuss "Futurama is set to return ...

Fiat to return to rallying with 124 Spider?
... Championship with an Abarth-tuned 124 Spider in 2017. A special road model with over 200 hp is also rumored. Continue reading Fiat to return ...

Are Some Congressmembers Willing To See Their Constituents Become Unhealthy In Return For Contributions ...
It's probably not news to most DWT readers that corrupt conservatives in Congress always put the special interests of their contributors from ...

Why this scene in 'Return of the Jedi' is the most disappointing from all of the 'Star Wars' special ...
By the time "Return of the Jedi" was released in 1983, George Lucas had already shepherded through a massively successful franchise that was ...

15 stores with the best and worst return policies
Chances are you'll return some of your holiday presents see which stores score high and low when it comes to return policies

Messi returns as Barcelona blitzes Real Madrid 4-0 in El Clasico
Real Madrid was embarrassed at home on Saturday as its biggest rival could not be stopped.

Highlights: Burns scores twice, Martin finds net in Pittsburgh return
Skip to main content CSN Bay Area Header links TV Listings Contact App Email Follow Bar RSN login or register Login Search form Search 51° Navigation ...

Kind taxi driver travels two hours to return lost iPhone
A self-driving Apple Car may not yet be a reality, but that didn’t stop a Bangkok taxi driver from travelling two hours to return a passenger’s ...

The State Department Asked Me To Return Documents That Were Mailed To Me
The State Department Asked Me To Return Documents That Were Mailed To Me