Accessing SQLAnywhere from Distributed Powerbuilder as NT Service

I am running a distributed Powerbuilder application which connects to a
SQLAnywhere database by setting the DBPARM 'ConnectString' by specifying
DSN, UID and PWD. The DSN is defined on the NT workstation as User and
System.  The problem is this. When I set the application to run as a
service on NT, the connection to the database works successfully on some
workstations but not on others.  The only way to get it to run reliably as
a service is to set the database engine as a service as well, and to launch
it with the databse file specified (i.e., prelaunch the database as a
service).

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the Powerbuilder app running as a
service can successfully launch and connect to the SQLAnywhere database in
one instance using only DSN, UID and PWD in the ConnectString, but in
another instance the connection fails unless the database is already
prelaunched as a service?

0
Marc

Hmmm, could be many things. How did you install the service, as
administator or as user? How about rights? Have you checked the NT logfile.
Maybe that can give your more information.

HTH
--
- Met vriendelijke groet,

  Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands
  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alingejj

Marc Jacobson <mjacobso@erols.com> wrote in article
<01bca989$2e0aba80$eac1accf@mjacobson>...
> I am running a distributed Powerbuilder application which connects to a
> SQLAnywhere database by setting the DBPARM 'ConnectString' by specifying
> DSN, UID and PWD. The DSN is defined on the NT workstation as User and
> System.  The problem is this. When I set the application to run as a
> service on NT, the connection to the database works successfully on some
> workstations but not on others.  The only way to get it to run reliably
as
> a service is to set the database engine as a service as well, and to
launch
> it with the databse file specified (i.e., prelaunch the database as a
> service).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to why the Powerbuilder app running as a
> service can successfully launch and connect to the SQLAnywhere database
in
> one instance using only DSN, UID and PWD in the ConnectString, but in
> another instance the connection fails unless the database is already
> prelaunched as a service?

0
Eric

Accessing the PC database using a web-page and PowerBuilder 5.0 front-end and MS Access Database
I am trying to connect my web page, which is the standard HTML Explorier applet to my MS Access Database by way of PowerBuilder 5.0. I would like the steps and PowerBuilder Script to make this work. I was told that this is possible, but I don't know where to start, where to place the needed Script, and how to get the link on the web page to call up Powerbuilder to access the MS Access database. Help! You create a PB user object that has methods that do the access. You deploy that as a distributed PB component and then access it using Web.PB. Read more on distributed PB and...

Access to any database with PowerBuilder
Hi We are developing an application which will run with any RDBMS (oracle 7, 8, Sybase, Informix, DB2/AS400,...) . Only one RDBMS will be used on each site, but each customer may choose any RDBMS... This implies of course that we keep the SQL quite standard ... and other things .... Has anyone of you hints or ideas about this subject ? I find PowerBuilder is quite good when using ONE RDBMS, but not when generic code must be written And of course, ANSI SQL 89 or 92 is so restrictive, we must go further ... Thanks for any reply Hi, Our company has created a ...

Powerbuilder app as NT service?
Hi, I'm trying to run a Powerbuilder application as a NT service using SRVANY. I got it all figured out, and can install any other program as a service. But, when I try it with mine, I get the following message: Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error occurred ( wow, really helpful, thanks! ) The SRVANY documentation says it works with almost any application, but doesn't specify which don't work. I know it doesn't work with MAPI, but that's not an issue. By the way, I'm using PB 5.0.03 on NT SP3. Anybody got some bright ideas? TIA, Eric Oops. About a...

powerbuilder app as an NT SERVICE
I have a requirement to turn a PB application into an NT-SERVICE. I tried using a third-party "wrapper" type application, but it would not fly with the server administrator. Alternatively, I might be able to use a VBX or OCX control that accomplishes this, but I have not been successful with the ones I have tried. (One built in house, the other commercial). Has anyone accomplished this without using a "wrapper" (like srvany)? (I hope my question is clear.) Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Why wouldn't the System ...

how to create a service NT with powerbuilder
I am beginer in this think. I wand to find an example to make a window service NT with PB10.2.0 My question is If it is possible to use visual object for example a window or o datawindow with their property to be invisible What else nust i do? Please give an example fron scratch and tell me how to register it as a service NT Thanks in advance Nick This requires lots and lots of code.... have you considered PBService from eCrane computing or something like srvany.exe as alternatives? -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 *********...

Dropping Distributed PowerBuilder Support in PowerBuilder 8.0
I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Target for PB8 is Q1 2001. DPB is not being enhanced but the capabilities will still be there. On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote: >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Chuck, I apologize, but I gave you inac...

Select in Powerbuilder Database painter WORKS but does NOT in Powerbuilder run mode.
I have enclosed the actual information for a debug run. Will apprecaite any hints. Thanks Jim jimo@jdssc.com in ls_mod_string DataWindow.Table.Select="SELECT DISTINCT ~"inv_dtl~".~"inv_id~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"orig_cost~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"last_cost~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"regular_cost~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"orig_price~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"current_price~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"sugg_price~", ~"inv~".~"vend_id~", ~"inv~".~"style~",...

Select in Powerbuilder Database painter WORKS but does NOT in Powerbuilder run mode.
I have enclosed the actual information from a debug run. Will apprecaite any hints. Thanks Jim jimo@jdssc.com in ls_mod_string DataWindow.Table.Select="SELECT DISTINCT ~"inv_dtl~".~"inv_id~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"orig_cost~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"last_cost~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"regular_cost~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"orig_price~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"current_price~", ~"inv_dtl~".~"sugg_price~", ~"inv~".~"vend_id~", ~"inv~".~"style~", ~...

Powerbuilder 7 (NT) to Powerbuilder 8 (win2000) has migration issues
I work for a company called Stanley Associates, and we have independent applications that were created under powerbuilder. Up until recently we had been using PB7 without any problems or compilation errors. Upon creating a new workspace, adding a target, and doing the initial rebuild, we ran into several information statements and even some errors in our migration/compilation. Silly statements like window name is invalid due to global variable of same type, or incomatible types in assignment. several erorrs and information that make no sense, yet never came up in version 7. What ar...

Problem connecting PowerBuilder to Access Database
Hello I try to connect Powerbuilder 8.0.3 to Access Database, but it can let me edit data in tables. Configuration is: // Profile access SQLCA.DBMS = "OLE DB" SQLCA.LogId = "admin" SQLCA.AutoCommit = False SQLCA.DBParm = "PROVIDER='Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',DATASOURCE='c:\neptuno.mdb'" Why I can do this? Thank you. There have been problems with detemrining Access primary keys. When a PK cannot be determined or is undefined, PB will, by default, assume that the table is not updateable. You can override this in the update ...

Create NT service for SQLAnywhere database
LS, When I create a service on a NT server for a SQLAnywhere 5.5 db and try to start it, all seems well until it tries to setup the NetDg link and is shut down with the message to check the event viewer. In the event viewer an error is logged: >>The SQL Anywhere-Whale service terminated with de follwing error: >> The specified image file did not contain a resource section Anybody experienced the same ? If so, what did you do to correct this TIA Joop Stringer -- Kijk ook eens naar de PPA website op http://www.ppa-site.demon.nl If you aren't using NetDg y...

cannot access powerbuilder configure odbc or databases
After installing powerbuilder 5.0 on NT4 sp3 .... and then go into powerbuilder and click on configure odbc and get the infinite hourglass Could anyone tell me what the problem could be ? I've tried to uninstall (which has never been successful and i end up deleting the directories and do a regclean) and re-installing it. And i still get the same results. Dist, Can you get to the ODBC setup through the control panel? Also, try reinstalling (no need to uninstall) PB and verifying that you install all required ODBC drivers. You may also have to go to the "Native Driv...

Create NT service for SQLAnywhere database
LS, When I create a service on a NT server for a SQLAnywhere 5.5 db and try to start it, all seems well until it tries to setup the NetDg link and is shut down with the message to check the event viewer. In the event viewer an error is logged: >>The SQL Anywhere-Whale service terminated with de follwing error: >> The specified image file did not contain a resource section Anybody experienced the same ? If so, what did you do to correct this TIA Joop Stringer -- Kijk ook eens naar de PPA website op http://www.ppa-site.demon.nl ...

Web resources about - Accessing SQLAnywhere from Distributed Powerbuilder as NT Service - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles