PB 7.0.2 and MS SQL Server 7.0

Hello everyone,  I am running PB 7.0.2 (Build 8046) and I am trying to
connect to MS SQL Server 7.0 database.  I can connect to the database via
ODBC with no problems, but when I attempt to use the MS SQL Client Software
7.0, I get an error "Could not connect to database."  Is SQL Client Software
v7.0 even supported with PB 7x or do I have to go to 6.0 of SQL Client?
--
Thanks,

Daryl L. Avery
Development Technologies Consultant
Software Spectrum, Inc.
E-mail: Daryl.Avery@SoftwareSpectrum.com
Website: SoftwareSpectrum.com
Voice: (972) 864-5114
Fax: (972) 864-3292

0
Daryl

The three supported connection methods are
1. ODBC
2. PB Native Driver for SQL6.5 (doesn't support new SQL7 functionality, eg
varchar(8000))
3. OLEDB - this is very buggy, to the extent that we can't use it

Simon

"Daryl Avery" <Daryl.Avery@SoftwareSpectrum.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,  I am running PB 7.0.2 (Build 8046) and I am trying to
> connect to MS SQL Server 7.0 database.  I can connect to the database via
> ODBC with no problems, but when I attempt to use the MS SQL Client
Software
> 7.0, I get an error "Could not connect to database."  Is SQL Client
Software
> v7.0 even supported with PB 7x or do I have to go to 6.0 of SQL Client?
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Daryl L. Avery
> Development Technologies Consultant
> Software Spectrum, Inc.
> E-mail: Daryl.Avery@SoftwareSpectrum.com
> Website: SoftwareSpectrum.com
> Voice: (972) 864-5114
> Fax: (972) 864-3292

0
Simon
8/21/2000 8:31:45 AM
Simon, how is the performance with ODBC to connect to SQL Server 7.0?  Are
there any known issues with using it in an PB application?
"Simon Caldwell" <simonATgetrealsystemsDOTcom> wrote in message
> The three supported connection methods are
> 1. ODBC
> 2. PB Native Driver for SQL6.5 (doesn't support new SQL7 functionality, eg
> varchar(8000))
> 3. OLEDB - this is very buggy, to the extent that we can't use it
>
> Simon
>
> "Daryl Avery" <Daryl.Avery@SoftwareSpectrum.com> wrote in message
> > Hello everyone,  I am running PB 7.0.2 (Build 8046) and I am trying to
> > connect to MS SQL Server 7.0 database.  I can connect to the database
via
> > ODBC with no problems, but when I attempt to use the MS SQL Client
> Software
> > 7.0, I get an error "Could not connect to database."  Is SQL Client
> Software
> > v7.0 even supported with PB 7x or do I have to go to 6.0 of SQL Client?
> > --
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Daryl L. Avery
> > Development Technologies Consultant
> > Software Spectrum, Inc.
> > E-mail: Daryl.Avery@SoftwareSpectrum.com
> > Website: SoftwareSpectrum.com
> > Voice: (972) 864-5114
> > Fax: (972) 864-3292

0
Daryl
8/21/2000 1:32:48 PM
I don't know.  We used ODBC with PB5, but had loads of problems with
different drivers - our app worked with some, and not with others.  Some
things were fixed by messing around with dbParm, others weren't.  So when we
upgraded to PB7, we changed to the native driver.
I guess it depends how much control you have over which ODBC driver people
use.

> Simon, how is the performance with ODBC to connect to SQL Server 7.0?  Are
> there any known issues with using it in an PB application?
> "Simon Caldwell" <simonATgetrealsystemsDOTcom> wrote in message
> > The three supported connection methods are
> > 1. ODBC
> > 2. PB Native Driver for SQL6.5 (doesn't support new SQL7 functionality,
eg
> > varchar(8000))
> > 3. OLEDB - this is very buggy, to the extent that we can't use it
> >
> > Simon
> >
> > "Daryl Avery" <Daryl.Avery@SoftwareSpectrum.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello everyone,  I am running PB 7.0.2 (Build 8046) and I am trying to
> > > connect to MS SQL Server 7.0 database.  I can connect to the database
> via
> > > ODBC with no problems, but when I attempt to use the MS SQL Client
> > Software
> > > 7.0, I get an error "Could not connect to database."  Is SQL Client
> > Software
> > > v7.0 even supported with PB 7x or do I have to go to 6.0 of SQL
Client?
> > > --
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Daryl L. Avery
> > > Development Technologies Consultant
> > > Software Spectrum, Inc.
> > > E-mail: Daryl.Avery@SoftwareSpectrum.com
> > > Website: SoftwareSpectrum.com
> > > Voice: (972) 864-5114
> > > Fax: (972) 864-3292

0
Simon
8/21/2000 1:47:37 PM
Simon, using SQL 6.5 works for me.  Where is the configuration information
for the server I setup via the Client Configuration Utility stored, i.e., is
it stored in an ini file like Sybase?

Thanks,

-Daryl
"Simon Caldwell" <simonATgetrealsystemsDOTcom> wrote in message
> The three supported connection methods are
> 1. ODBC
> 2. PB Native Driver for SQL6.5 (doesn't support new SQL7 functionality, eg
> varchar(8000))
> 3. OLEDB - this is very buggy, to the extent that we can't use it
>
> Simon
>
> "Daryl Avery" <Daryl.Avery@SoftwareSpectrum.com> wrote in message
> > Hello everyone,  I am running PB 7.0.2 (Build 8046) and I am trying to
> > connect to MS SQL Server 7.0 database.  I can connect to the database
via
> > ODBC with no problems, but when I attempt to use the MS SQL Client
> Software
> > 7.0, I get an error "Could not connect to database."  Is SQL Client
> Software
> > v7.0 even supported with PB 7x or do I have to go to 6.0 of SQL Client?
> > --
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Daryl L. Avery
> > Development Technologies Consultant
> > Software Spectrum, Inc.
> > E-mail: Daryl.Avery@SoftwareSpectrum.com
> > Website: SoftwareSpectrum.com
> > Voice: (972) 864-5114
> > Fax: (972) 864-3292

0
Daryl
8/21/2000 2:56:43 PM
Sorry, I can't tell from the thread if this has been resolved or not.  I am
assuming it hasn't.  Sql Server is the easiest database (outside of sybase
ofcourse) to configure, but I know that is cold comfort.

You should just have to install the client software, in Microsoft Enterprise
Manager register a new SQL Server with your server information, and then use the
MSS driver in PB for the connection.

Two things that you will want to check.  Is the pbmss70.dll out in the shared
directory?  Is the ntwdblib.dll out in the client software for sql server
installation?

--
Glenn Guthrie
iAnywhere Solutions

HTH

Daryl Avery wrote:

> Hello everyone,  I am running PB 7.0.2 (Build 8046) and I am trying to
> connect to MS SQL Server 7.0 database.  I can connect to the database via
> ODBC with no problems, but when I attempt to use the MS SQL Client Software
> 7.0, I get an error "Could not connect to database."  Is SQL Client Software
> v7.0 even supported with PB 7x or do I have to go to 6.0 of SQL Client?
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Daryl L. Avery
> Development Technologies Consultant
> Software Spectrum, Inc.
> E-mail: Daryl.Avery@SoftwareSpectrum.com
> Website: SoftwareSpectrum.com
> Voice: (972) 864-5114
> Fax: (972) 864-3292

0
Glenn

Connect MS-SQL 7.0 in PowerBuilder 7.0
In PowerBuilder 6.5, I can connect MS-SQL 6.5 directly not using ODBC, but in PowerBuilder 7.0, how can I connect MS-SQL 7.0 directly ? Please post to the powersoft.public.powerbuilder newsgroups This is dedicated to PB issues when used within Jaguar Masun wrote: > In PowerBuilder 6.5, I can connect MS-SQL 6.5 directly not using ODBC, but > in PowerBuilder 7.0, how can I connect MS-SQL 7.0 directly ? ...

Error connecting Pb 6.5 and Pb 7.0 to SQL SERVER 7.0 desktop(Window 98)
Today(9 Sep 1999), I can't connect to SQL Server 7.0 before this i can connect it. It give an Error "Unable to connect : SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist, Specified SQl Server not found ". I have check with Query analyzer , the Query analyzer can connect very well. Any one this have this problem, and how to solve this ??? TIA -- Regards Daniel Fransius not enough information... are you trying to use OLE DB ? ODBC ? Native driver ? What about security settings on the server ? What user id and password are you passing ? There is a lot of things ...

PB 7.0 Client Cursor and MS SQL Server 7.0
We are in the process of migrating from MS SQL 6.5 to MS SQL 7.0 and are running with PB 7.0 build 5031. Our PB application uses a cursor which works fine with MS SQL 6.5 but we are getting the following error with MS SQL 7.0 when we open the cursor: SQLCODE = -1 SQLDBCODE = 999 SQLERRTEXT= "34000[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Invalid cursor name" Is there a different database connection setting, different way to set up transaction object, different setting on ODBC connection, or something else that we should be doing or looking at when we go...

Problem with PB 7.0 And MS SQL Server 7.0 ODBC
I am having some problem using PowerBuilder 7.0 with MS SQL Server 7.0 and ODBC. Arguments to datawindows and nested SQL doesn't seem the work properly. The following is some lines from the ODBC trace-file: SELECT report.reportkey, report.reporttype, report.reportname FROM report WHERE exists (SELECT reportparam.reportkey FROM reportparam WHERE ( reportparam.reportkey = report.reportkey ) AND reportparam.paramtype = ? )) ORDER BY report.reportname VCHAR Length=4 ID=:as_paramtype *test* (10 MilliSeconds) Error 999 (rc -1) : SQLSTATE ...

PB 7.0 and MS-SQL Server 7.0 login problem
I am having a problem connecting my app to the MS SQL-Server database. I'm sure it's something obvious that I'm missing. From my computer, it connects just finewith no login box. When I try to connect from a different computer, a login window pops up with "Admin" as the log in name. The database should be using a trusted connection from a computer within the domain. The user on the computer is successfully logged into the (NT 4) domain. Any ideas what I am failing to do? Hi, You must provide a valid login id on the other PC you specified and this login must ...

PB 7.0 DataWindows and MS SQL Server 7.0 Stored Procedures
I'm having some problems with creating a datawindow from a stored procedure. I have migraited a PB 5.0.4 application to PB 7.0 with no difficulties. This app has datawindows that are running off of stored procs. But, when I try to create a new tabular datawindow fromscratch (I also tried this using a stored proc that is being used to power other datawindows) I get the following message: Cannot create DataWindow 'Data-conversion resulted in overflow' If any one knows what I am doing wrong I'd appreciate the help. BTW, I am connecting with the native MS SQL Ser...

PB 7.0 DataWindows and MS SQL Server 7.0 Stored Procedures
I'm having some problems with creating a datawindow from a stored procedure. I have migraited a PB 5.0.4 application to PB 7.0 with no difficulties. This app has datawindows that are running off of stored procs. But, when I try to create a new tabular datawindow fromscratch (I also tried this using a stored proc that is being used to power other datawindows) I get the following message: Cannot create DataWindow 'Data-conversion resulted in overflow' If any one knows what I am doing wrong I'd appreciate the help. BTW, I am connecting with the native MS SQL Serv...

pb 7.0.3 build 10089 and sql server 7.0 : Slow Connection
We've got the same problem as earlier mentioned by Ken Freeman (see message below), but we're using pb version 7.0.3 Build 10089 and sql server 7.0?!!? Can anyone help us? "Ken Freeman" <kfreeman@ems.jsc.nasa.gov> wrote in message news:p1fXadCIBHA.201@forums.sybase.com... > We've recently upgraded from PB 6.5 to PB 7.0.2 (Build 8003). > Before the upgrade, a connection in development mode took a few seconds. > Now it takes several minutes. > > Does anyone know what might be cause the slowdown? > > Thanks, > Ken > > ...

Powerbuilder 5.0/7.0 and MS SQL 7.0 Performance issues
We recently converted our app from Powerbuilder 5.0 to PB 7.0 -- the app in PB 7.0 definitely runs slower on the client PC's than it did in PB 5.0. Now we are migrating the database from MS SQL 6.5 to 7.0 SP2. We successfully converted the databases in a testing environment, but now the app runs terribly slow! I don't think it's a hardware issue -- the test box is a Compaq 8500 quad Xeon 500 w/1GB Ram. We experimented running the app as a PB 5.0 app against MS SQL 7.0 and the problem is the same. When we execute SQL directly against the DB outside of PB, we see no perf...

PROBLEM with PB 7.0.3 AND SQL SERVER 7.0 USING SQL CURSOR
I am having a problem running a sql command with a cursor with Native drivers for MS sql Server 7.0.If i use ODBC or take out the order by clause in the statement it works fine By the way I am running powerbuilder 7.0.3 build 10009 The error code is : (Error 10008 (DB-Library) DB-Library Severity Level 9 Message Text ad token from SQL Server: Datastream processing out of synchronization) here a sample of the code DECLARE cur_Sec1 CURSOR FOR SELECT DISTINCT COL1,COL2 FROM TABLE1 WHERE COL1 = ??? ORDER BY COL1 ASC ; <<<<<<<<<<< ...

Downgrade from 7.0.1 or 7.0.2 to 7.0.0
What would be the issues involved, and what steps would be needed to downgrade from either 7.0.1 or 7.0.2 back down to 7.0.0? Am I stuck with offloading the databases to flat files, uninstalling, installing the mandated version, and then re-importing the flat files? Any advice for this Sybase newbie would be much appreciated. Thanks. No issues, easy steps... I often switch between point releases simply by copying/renaming subdirectories of C:\Program Files\Sybase. Each time I install a new upgrade or EBF I make a copy of the subdirectory; on *this* laptop it now looks like ...

PB 7.0 MS SQL 7.0 uniqueidentifier
Hello I have a problem with with uniqueidentifier column. I have table with one uniqueidentifier columne when I try to run select like this within database painter: select * from table_name; I have an error about using embeded SQL. The same SQL runned within aplication dosn't raise an errror but value from uniqueidentifier column is truncated. Help. (PB 7.0, MS SQL 7.0, OLE DB - SQLOLEDB) ...

Web resources about - PB 7.0.2 and MS SQL Server 7.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.connection

Server farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A server farm or server cluster is a collection of computer servers usually maintained by an enterprise to accomplish server needs far beyond ...

CRTC Issues First-Ever Warrant To Take Down Toronto-Based Malware Server 4
TORONTO — The CRTC has issued its first warrant under the federal government's anti-spam legislation to take down a Toronto-based malware server ...

Windows Server 2016 moving to per core, not per socket, licensing
Windows Server 2016, not likely to arrive until the second half of next year, is going to shake up the way Microsoft licenses its server operating ...

Intel Rising: Server Stronger Than Ever, Says JMP; Here Comes Apple?
... stock to Market Outperform from Market Perform, assigning a $45 price target, righting that the company will strengthen its hold on its server ...

Server shipments, vendor revenue go up in Q3 2015
In the third quarter of 2015, worldwide server shipments grew 9.2 percent from the third quarter of 2014, while vendor revenue increased 7.5 ...

Bloodborne servers taken down for 'emergency maintenance'
An exploit and other "serious issues" have been detected.

PR Guru Working For Clinton Server IT Firm Donated To Hillary’s Campaign
PR Guru Working For Clinton Server IT Firm Donated To Hillary’s Campaign

Inventec achieves major improvement in server orders for 2017
With Intel expected to launch its next-generation server platform Purley in the second half of 2017, vendors such as Hewlett-Packard (HP), Dell ...

Server Files Sexual Harassment Complaint Against Pigalle Restaurant
... restaurant Pigalle is being accused of sexual harassment by a waitress , who says that management implied her jeans were "too much." The server ...

HPE, Dell Stay Atop Growing Global Server Market
Demand for rack systems and growth of hyperscale data centers help drive growth of x86-based systems, according to IDC and Gartner analysts. ...