PB 6.5 and MS SQL Server 7.0 connectivity

I have a PB 6.5 application running with SQL-Anywhere.  I have recently
tried to re-establish the database on Microsoft SQL-SERVER 7.0.  I have
loaded the native client-side software to connect to MS 7.0 and was
successful with the connection.

However, when I tried to establish a connection via the PB 6.5 development
environment (DB painter and etc.), I received a "S1003 - Program type out of
range" message from within the PB 6.5 database painter.  I didn't receive
the error message when I connected to the database... but only when I tried
to actually do something thru the database painter.

The funny thing is that when I modify my application .ini file to use:

     DBMS=MSS  instead of ODBC
     database=test1
     dbparm="'DSN=test1'"

My application appears to connect to the MS 7.0 database.  I was reading
that if you use 'DBMS=trace MSS' in the .ini file you can debug the
connection.  It seems to work with the applications transaction object, but
not during the development environment.

Does anyone know how to connect to MS 7.0 from PB 6.5?

I would appreciate any feedback.

I've never used Microsoft SQL-SERVER so I'm a little lost.

Thanks,
JT

0
JTaylor

You need to get the maintenance release for PB 6.5.  The newer version of
ODBC adds some datatypes that older versions of PB don't know how to handle.

On Fri, 12 May 2000 16:39:03 -0700,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.connectivity
JTaylor <jtaylor@acom.com> wrote:
>I have a PB 6.5 application running with SQL-Anywhere.  I have recently
>tried to re-establish the database on Microsoft SQL-SERVER 7.0.  I have
>loaded the native client-side software to connect to MS 7.0 and was
>successful with the connection.
>
>However, when I tried to establish a connection via the PB 6.5 development
>environment (DB painter and etc.), I received a "S1003 - Program type out of
>range" message from within the PB 6.5 database painter.  I didn't receive
>the error message when I connected to the database... but only when I tried
>to actually do something thru the database painter.
>
>The funny thing is that when I modify my application .ini file to use:
>
>     DBMS=MSS  instead of ODBC
>     database=test1
>     dbparm="'DSN=test1'"
>
>My application appears to connect to the MS 7.0 database.  I was reading
>that if you use 'DBMS=trace MSS' in the .ini file you can debug the
>connection.  It seems to work with the applications transaction object, but
>not during the development environment.
>
>Does anyone know how to connect to MS 7.0 from PB 6.5?
>
>I would appreciate any feedback.
>
>I've never used Microsoft SQL-SERVER so I'm a little lost.
>
>Thanks,
>JT

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@teamsybase.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                | http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/knowgod/index.htm  | http://www.needhim.org

Bruce

Error connecting Pb 6.5 and Pb 7.0 to SQL SERVER 7.0 desktop(Window 98)
Today(9 Sep 1999), I can't connect to SQL Server 7.0 before this i can connect it. It give an Error "Unable to connect : SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist, Specified SQl Server not found ". I have check with Query analyzer , the Query analyzer can connect very well. Any one this have this problem, and how to solve this ??? TIA -- Regards Daniel Fransius not enough information... are you trying to use OLE DB ? ODBC ? Native driver ? What about security settings on the server ? What user id and password are you passing ? There is a lot of things ...

PB 6.5 to MS SQL server 7.0 connectivity
Greetings Seem to much discussion on this topic...I desperately need the answer at the end of the book. We are upgrading to SQL 7 and MUST be live with our PB 6.5 app in 3 weeks. PowerSoft/Sybase preferred or recommended configuration?? Please respond with any recommendations on: PB versions / builds PB drivers SQL Server client software Native drivers VS OLEDB VS ODBC etc... PB support of 7.0 new features: specifically the 8K varchar DataType thanks <pc> ...

problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5
Dear All, I have some problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5 The error message is: Database transaction information not availiable. Call SetTrans or SetTransObject function. I have a window with 1 button and 1 datawindow The datawindow inside contain a SQL statement in the click event of the botton, the script is: parent.dw_1.SettransObject(SQLCA) parent.dw_1.retrieve() Can anyone tell me what is the problem? And how to solve it??? Thank You Very Much!!! It seems that the database connection is not available or not successfully connected. ...

Error Connection To MS SQL Server 7.0 From PB 6.5.1
Dear everyone: I have Microsoft Backoffice SmallBusiness 4.5 Chinese Edition. The software suite includes MS SQL Server 7.0. But I can not find Client ODBC Driver For MS SQL Server 7.0 in it. My workstation OS is Windows 98 Chinese Edition. In PB 6.5.1, when I use MSS MS SQL Server 6.x interface, I can connect to the database in the backend server. But when I use SQL Server driver in ODBC, I got error message. The error message is chinese. But I think the english error message maybe like "Program Type Beyond". I want to know how to solve it or how to get ODBC driver for M...

Error Connection To MS SQL Server 7.0 From PB 6.5.1
Dear everyone: I have Microsoft Backoffice SmallBusiness 4.5 Chinese Edition. The software suite includes MS SQL Server 7.0. But I can not find Client ODBC Driver For MS SQL Server 7.0 in it. My workstation OS is Windows 98 Chinese Edition. In PB 6.5.1, when I use MSS MS SQL Server 6.x interface, I can connect to the database in the backend server. But when I use SQL Server driver in ODBC, I got error message. The error message is chinese. But I think the english error message maybe like "Program Type Beyond". I want to know how to solve it or how to get ODBC driver for M...

PB 7.0.1
Hi, I just found a solution for correcting the memory leak in 7.0.1, when connecting to MS SQL Server 6.5. May be this is already fixed in the latest releases. I just want to share this in case it's useful to any of you guys. When you connect to the MS SQL Server 6.5 database, be sure to have atleast something in your DBParm attribute of the DBProfile (or SQLCA transaction object at runtime). For example (SQLCA.DBParm = "AppName='IRIS',Host='ZNF9'"). In development time in the DBProfile dialog under "Network" tabpage Enter something i...

Connection to MS SQL Server 7.0 with PB application built in 5.5.04
FYI.... I am in the process of upgrade an application database from MS SQL server 6.0 to 7.0 and I would like to know if there is a driver download that I can get so that I don't have to also upgrade the application as well. Is a database driver download available? It there is, where do I get it from? Thanks for the help. (My gut feeling is that the application will also have to be upgrade for the new native driver... Please say I am wrong) .......Shane Hi Shane, MS 7 does not have a native driver...

PB 6.5 Connection To MS SQL Server 6.5
We have three servers running MS SQL Server 6.5. PB 5.0 applications (both PB client apps and PB apps running on the servers at night as part of batch jobs) have been running on them for a long time. Native drivers are used. I'm starting to replace these apps with PB 6.5 versions of them. With respect to two of the servers, I can connect to the databases from all the new apps - both client PC apps and batch apps. On the third server, I can connect to the databases using the client PC apps only. When the apps in the night job run, the CONNECT statement gets the following error ...

PB 6.5 Apps Connection to MS SQL Server 6.5
We have three servers running MS SQL Server 6.5. PB 5.0 applications (both PB client apps and PB apps running on the servers at night as part of batch jobs) have been running on them for a long time. Native drivers are used. I'm starting to replace these apps with PB 6.5 versions of them. With respect to two of the servers, I can connect to the databases from all the new apps - both client PC apps and batch apps. On the third server, I can connect to the databases using the client PC apps only. When the apps in the night job run, the CONNECT statement gets the following error ...

Connectivity of PowerBuilder 6.5 and SQL Server 7.0
Hi Guys, I need help regarding connectivity with PB 6.5 and SQL Ser. 7.0. I am getting an error message "DBMS MS Sql Server ... not supported in current installation' or 'Unable to load the requested database interface". I have required files for both the system and for PB i.e., NTWDBLIB.DLL PBMSS60.DLL but still i am not able to connect to the database. Please help. Regards, MS Check the sybase site, there is useful infor about the matter. Good Luck, Alessandro Barbieri "mahesh" <mahesh.shah@codecindia.com> wrote in message new...

PowerBuilder 6.5 and MS SQL 7.0 Connection
I'm facing a problem in connecting powerbuilder 6.5 to MS SQL 7.0 on 'Windows ME' when i try to connect to database it creates the connection without giving any error but when i try to see the tables in database painter or anywhere else it does'nt show me the tables and gives me error "SQLSTATE = S1003 [ODBC][SQLSERVER]Program type out of range" i've formatted my hard disk and again installed 'Windows ME' and other required softwares but the problem is still there, any suggessition would be worth for me. Thanks Saqib Sardar What build of...

PB 6.5 connect to SQL SERVER 7.0
I just want to migrate my Microsoft SQL SERVER 6.5 to SQL SERVER 7.0. I want to know are there any problem to connect with SQL SERVER 7.0 ???? TIA Regards Daniel Fransius YES. Please look in the 'database' group of early August for a discussion topic 'PB 6.5 & MSSQL 6.5->7'. Daniel Fransius <DanielFr@cbn.net.id> wrote in message news:dIPJ#gh4#GA.207@forums.sybase.com... > I just want to migrate my Microsoft SQL SERVER 6.5 to SQL SERVER 7.0. > I want to know are there any problem to connect with SQL SERVER 7.0 ???? > > TIA ...

Web resources about - PB 6.5 and MS SQL Server 7.0 connectivity - sybase.powerbuilder.connection

TE Connectivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TE Connectivity Ltd. designs and manufactures connectivity and sensor solutions for a variety of industries including automotive, industrial ...

Facebook’s Connectivity Lab: Drones, Planes, Satellites, Lasers To Further Internet.org Mission Of Bringing ...
Look, up in the sky. It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a drone from Facebook? The social network Thursday announced the formation of the Connectivity ...

The power of connectivity
By Keven McCammon, site data center manager, Facebook Forest City Data Center Today we announced that we’re partnering with the Town of Forest ...

Mark Zuckerberg on Internet.org: Connectivity key to socio-economic balance
Mark Zuckerberg is out to change the world through building an infrastructure that will open connectivity to everyone. In a wide-ranging interview ...

Parks and Recreation: You could have network connectivity problems - YouTube
http://ricochetvideos.com Andy Dwyer is the goofy, lovable character from Parks and Recreation, and in this scene he diagnoses Leslie's flu by ...

Mid-2012 MacBook Airs offer improved performance and connectivity
Believe it or not, it's been nearly four and a half years since Apple released the original MacBook Air. At the time, it was revolutionary in ...

BMW to launch new connectivity service
Soon your car will notify the dealer when it’s due for a service. BMW Australia will introduce a new suite of in-car connectivity apps in its ...

The key to a successful hybrid cloud infrastructure? Flexible connectivity
It's becoming increasingly clear that - for most organisations - taking a 'hybrid' approach to cloud adoption makes sound business sense.

Facebook Connectivity Lab promotes access to Internet in remote areas - CTV News
Facebook is giving more details about its effort to connect remote parts of the world to the Internet - and it involves drones, lasers and satellites. ...