ODBC connectivity using File DSN

Hello

I am trying to implement ODBC connectivity from a Pb6.5 app to a ASA 7.x
database using File DSN:

My File DSN (Live70.dsn) look like this :
[ODBC]
;DRIVER=c:\Ekw30\Asa70\dbodbc7.dll
DRIVER=Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0
UID=dba
PWD=sql
CommLinks=SharedMemory
DisableMultiRowFetch=No
Debug=No
Integrated=No
AutoStop=Yes
DatabaseFile=c:\Ekw30\E-Book\Dblive\Live70.db
Start=c:\Ekw30\Asa70\dbeng7.exe

My DbParm look like this :
DbParm=DisableBind=1,ConnectString='FileDSN=C:\Ekw30\E-book\Live70.dsn'

All deployable ASA components as described in the online ASA help
and as per the licence aggreement reside in c:\ekw30\Asa70

The file dsn resides in the c:\ekw30\e-book directory which is also the
directory where the pbd's and other application components
reside

The database resides in c:\Ekw30\E-Book\Dblive.
Name of the database isn Live70.db and log file is Live70.log

I have manually created the following registry entries (as described in the
ASA online help):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
   SOFTWARE\
      ODBC\
         ODBCINST.INI\
            Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0
Driver = c:\ekw30\Asa70\dbodbc7.dll
Setup = c:\ekw30\Asa70\dbodbc7.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
   SOFTWARE\
      ODBC\
         ODBCINST.INI\
            ODBC Drivers
Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0 = Installed

Everything works fine with the above until I replace
DRIVER=Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0
with DRIVER=c:\Ekw30\Asa70\dbodbc7.dll in the File DSN in order to bypass
the Registry setting.

The reason I want to bypass the registry completely is because our
Installshield programmers have successfully failed to create a
installable program for our software that correctly modifies the registry
settings to reflect the correct driver information and User
DSN. And our HelpDesk have to spend a considerable time/effort in
dialing into our clients PC's to correct these problems.

I can still use dbdsn utility that comes with ASA 7.x to create the
user dsn as part of the upgrade program that will upgrade our
clients existing ASA5.5 database to ASA7.x

Now am I right in replacing the DRIVER=Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0 with
DRIVER=c:\Ekw30\Asa70\dbodbc7.dll in the
file DSN or will I have to live with creating the registry entry for
Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0 ?

Alternatively if I ommit the file dsn and include the entire information in
the Dbparam as shown below everything
works fine.
DbParm=DisableBind=1,ConnectString='Driver={Adaptive Server Anywhere
7.0};UID=dba;PWD=sql;start=c:\ekw30\asa70\dbeng7.exe;DatabaseFile=c:\ekw30\e-book\dblive\Live70.db;Autostop=Yes'

But the moment I replace Driver={Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0} with
Driver={connec c:\ekw30\asa70\dbodbc7.dll} as shown
below my application cannot connect to the database
DbParm=DisableBind=1,ConnectString='Driver={connec
c:\ekw30\asa70\dbodbc7.dll};UID=dba;PWD=sql;start=c:\ekw30\asa70\dbeng7.exe;DatabaseFile=c:\

Can somebody please tell me if I am doing the right thing.

I am using Powerbuilder Enterprise 6.5 Build 444 and Adaptive Server
Anywhere 7.0.0.313 on Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6 and am using ODBC 3.51

Thanks in advance

Regards
Hasan Kasamali
E.K. Williams Limited
HasanK@EkWilliams.co.uk
Kasamali_H@Yahoo.co.uk
0
Hasan_Kasamali

You're doing the wrong thing ;>)   The DRIVER must point to something
valid in the ODBCINST.INI section of the registry.  You can get away
without having the DSN installed, but you must have the driver itself
installed correctly.

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:27:47 -0500, Hasan_Kasamali wrote:

> [...]
>
>Alternatively if I ommit the file dsn and include the entire information in
>the Dbparam as shown below everything
>works fine.
>DbParm=DisableBind=1,ConnectString='Driver={Adaptive Server Anywhere
>7.0};UID=dba;PWD=sql;start=c:\ekw30\asa70\dbeng7.exe;DatabaseFile=c:\ekw30\e-book\dblive\Live70.db;Autostop=Yes'
>
>But the moment I replace Driver={Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0} with
>Driver={connec c:\ekw30\asa70\dbodbc7.dll} as shown
>below my application cannot connect to the database
>DbParm=DisableBind=1,ConnectString='Driver={connec
>c:\ekw30\asa70\dbodbc7.dll};UID=dba;PWD=sql;start=c:\ekw30\asa70\dbeng7.exe;DatabaseFile=c:\
>
>Can somebody please tell me if I am doing the right thing.
>
>I am using Powerbuilder Enterprise 6.5 Build 444 and Adaptive Server
>Anywhere 7.0.0.313 on Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6 and am using ODBC 3.51

0
joneil
2/20/2001 8:19:24 PM
Hello Jim O'Neil

When you say that the DRIVER must point to something valid in the
ODBCINST.INI section of the registry, does this
mean that creating the following registry entries would suffice; and then I
can include the rest of the connection parameters in DbParm.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
   SOFTWARE\
      ODBC\
         ODBCINST.INI\
            Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0
Driver = c:\ekw30\Asa70\dbodbc7.dll
Setup = c:\ekw30\Asa70\dbodbc7.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
   SOFTWARE\
      ODBC\
         ODBCINST.INI\
            ODBC Drivers
Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0 = Installed

Thanks in advance

Regards
Hasan Kasamali
E. K. Williams Limited
HasanK@EkWilliams.co.uk
Kasamali_H@Yahoo.co.uk
0
Hasan_Kasamali
2/21/2001 11:08:28 AM
Yes, that should be it.

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:08:28 -0500, Hasan_Kasamali wrote:

>Hello Jim O'Neil
>
>When you say that the DRIVER must point to something valid in the
>ODBCINST.INI section of the registry, does this
>mean that creating the following registry entries would suffice; and then I
>can include the rest of the connection parameters in DbParm.
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
>   SOFTWARE\
>      ODBC\
>         ODBCINST.INI\
>            Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0
>Driver = c:\ekw30\Asa70\dbodbc7.dll
>Setup = c:\ekw30\Asa70\dbodbc7.dll
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
>   SOFTWARE\
>      ODBC\
>         ODBCINST.INI\
>            ODBC Drivers
>Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0 = Installed
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Regards
>Hasan Kasamali
>E. K. Williams Limited
>HasanK@EkWilliams.co.uk
>Kasamali_H@Yahoo.co.uk

0
joneil
2/21/2001 3:31:39 PM
Hello Jim O'Neil

I have tried your suggestion and it works

Thanks for your time

Regards
Hasan Kasamali
E.K. Williams Limited
HasanK@EkWilliams.co.uk
Kasamali_H@Yahoo.co.uk
0
Hasan_Kasamali

Powerbuilder 6.5.1 connecting to SQL Server 2000 using ODBC Dsn
Can anyone help in connecting by Powerbuilder 6.5.1 application talking to sql 2000 database. Our applications has a ini file which includes the following details [Database] DBMS=MSS Microsoft SQL Server 6.x ServerName=TestServer AutoCommit=true Database=pubs Lock=RL In case of ODBC dsn, what should go in ini other than these. Please suggest [Database] DBMS=ODBC AutoCommit=true Database=pubs Lock=RL In powerbuilder the profile is created using odbc dsn as the datasource The connection is successful in Powerbuilder IDE. But when I launch the application, I get ...

Powerbuilder 6.5.1 connecting to SQL Server 2000 using ODBC Dsn
Can anyone help in connecting by Powerbuilder 6.5.1 application talking to sql 2000 database. Our applications has a ini file which includes the following details [Database] DBMS=MSS Microsoft SQL Server 6.x ServerName=TestServer AutoCommit=true Database=pubs Lock=RL In case of ODBC dsn, what should go in ini other than these. Please suggest [Database] DBMS=ODBC AutoCommit=true Database=pubs Lock=RL In powerbuilder the profile is created using odbc dsn as the datasource The connection is successful in Powerbuilder IDE. But when I launch the application, I ge...

ODBC DSN less connection issues using ASE ODBC Driver
Hi, I am facing a problem while making dsn less connection to sybase Here is the thing, I shall try to make it simple: this piece of connection string works fine in production with sybase 11 open client installed Driver={SYBASE SYSTEM 11};Srvr=SYBPRD_DEV;Uid=SYBPRDCOM;Pwd=welcomedb1; However, I am trying to setup a Dev environment with Sybase open client 12.5 ..this piece fails with the following error msgs, Connection string: err msg: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (i tried changing it to {SYBASE ASE ODBC Drive...

Powerbuilder components use only 1 connection from connection cache
Hi all, I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar. I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough. I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the backend. Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports that only one session is active from the Jaguar server. Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested this f...

Why we use Web.Config File for connection string wether we can use class Library for get connection for whole web Application
 Why we use Web.Config File for connection string wether we can use class Library for get connection for whole web Application  please help me? Friend, Web.config has its own advantages. 1) Web.Config is used to store the important information like connections strings etc...so that it can be modified even after the code has been    deployed to the server without compiling the entire application again. 2) Since it is a XML file, there is no need of building the project of you are going to change the connection strings.   If you go for the class files,...

not connected when I am connected

How to use ODBC and OLEDB with a DSN connection?
Hi guys, i'm obliged to use a DSN (or DSN-Less ????) connection with my web hosting to access my database (Ms Access). When i use Odbc.DataAdapter etc. there in no way for me to generate a Dataset... consequence is that, visually, i have no TABLE accessible like when using OLEDB etc. i'm obliged to use this connection string: ODBCConnection1.ConnectionString = "DSN=vaseriepl01;UID=admin" but this is all done by coding and when in design mode, i have no table shown etc. I tried us...

Powerbuilder components use only 1 connection from connection cache #2
Hi all, I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar. I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough. I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the backend. Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports that only one session is active from the Jaguar server. Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested this f...

How to connect DBClient using a DSN-less connection in a VB5 App
I have a VB5 app connecting to SLQ Anywhere without a data source name - no problem. I am changing the app to a multi-user environment using SLQ Anywhere Server & SQL Anywhere Client. I can connect with a DSN - no problem; the ODBC dialog screen comes up. I don't want to setup a DSN on all the machines in the office if I don't have to. We are running Novell (I think 3.1, maybe 4.0) Here is the code for the standalone version DSN-less- works fine. RDOConnect = "UID=rico;PWD=rico;DBF=" + DBPath + "\ricoapp.DB;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DSN=&#...

Powerbuilder components use only one connection of 50 conn connection cache
Hi all, I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar. I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough. I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the backend. Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports that only one session is active from the Jaguar server. Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested this f...

Connecting PB to ASA using File DSN
Hello, I wish to connect PowerBuilder 9.0.3 to SQL Anywhere 8.0 (ASA) using a File DSN on Win XP. I have been able to generate a File with DSN info using the ODBC Administrator but I don't know how to use it to connect to ASA. I searched the Internet, most of the info is about how to use them with ASP programs. Thanks Amal I'm guessing that you don't want to have to create an odbc profile on the end users pc? You can declare the odbc setting directly into the DBParm property of the transaction object. (read the values from the file dsn) The example hereu...

Connect excel file using ODBC problem
HI , I trying to connect a excel file using the ODBC and got the error. "SQLSTATE = S1000 - [INTERSOLV][ODBC Excel driver] Cannot open stream Book. OLE error code(2)" Can anyone know what is the problem. Thank you. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp How are you opening the spreadsheet? My gut feeling would be that you are using a new version of Excel that the Intersolv driver doesn't know what to do with. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. My...

Connect ot ODBC
When i run my application on windows server 2003 (standart edition ) - when trying to connect - it open a dialog box to choose File DSN. I'm using pb11.00 b. 6525 this is connect script SQLCA.userid = "alpha_connect" SQLCA.dbpass = ls_PWD SQLCA.DBPARM = "ConnectString='DSN=alpha_ag;" + & ";UID=" + SQLCA.userid + & ";PWD=" + SQLCA.dbpass + "',Block=1,CommitOnDisconnect = 'No'" SQLCA.logid = SQLCA.userid SQLCA.logPass = SQLCA.dbpass DSN alpha_ag exist. It's not happen on ...

EAServer 6.0 connect to MS SQL SERVER using ODBC Connection
I am currently migrating from EAServer 4.2 to 6.0. I am trying to connect a SQL Server database through an ODBC connection in EAServer 6.0. When I set up the data source and tried to ping the database server, it gives me an error saying it cannot connect to the database. I have tried to change the database type from SQL SERVER to JCM_ODBC and other multiple things to try to connect, but it still fails. The odbc connection is properly set up but I can't seem to connect through EAServer. Any help would be appreciated. Could you please give the log of EAServer6 which is under ...

Web resources about - ODBC connectivity using File DSN - sybase.powerbuilder.connection

TE Connectivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TE Connectivity Ltd. designs and manufactures connectivity and sensor solutions for a variety of industries including automotive, industrial ...

Mark Zuckerberg Goes Into Detail On Facebook Connectivity Lab, Internet.org
Perhaps Facebook Co-Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg is just a wee bit excited about the Connectivity Lab , the initiative aimed at using high-altitude ...

The power of connectivity
By Keven McCammon, site data center manager, Facebook Forest City Data Center Today we announced that we’re partnering with the Town of Forest ...

Facebook, Internet.org launch Connectivity Lab
... CEO Mark Zuckerberg shed some light on the company’s acquisition of drone-maker Titan Aerospace, announcing the launch of Facebook’s Connectivity ...

Samsung Galaxy S3: Connectivity demo - USB OTG, MHL, bluetooth keyboards/mice, games controllers - YouTube ...
AndroidNZ.net - the best source for Galaxy S3 content! For navigation in the video use these links: USB Pendrive @0:55, 500GB portable drive ...

Mid-2012 MacBook Airs offer improved performance and connectivity
Believe it or not, it's been nearly four and a half years since Apple released the original MacBook Air. At the time, it was revolutionary in ...

Connectivity is key in society
They’re billing it as the place where Lewisham meets Summer Hill meets the city – and with good reason.

BMW to launch new connectivity service
Soon your car will notify the dealer when it’s due for a service. BMW Australia will introduce a new suite of in-car connectivity apps in its ...

The key to a successful hybrid cloud infrastructure? Flexible connectivity
It's becoming increasingly clear that - for most organisations - taking a 'hybrid' approach to cloud adoption makes sound business sense.

Facebook Connectivity Lab promotes access to Internet in remote areas - CTV News
Facebook is giving more details about its effort to connect remote parts of the world to the Internet - and it involves drones, lasers and satellites. ...