powerbuilder com object vs pocketbuilder .... object

Our powerbuilder application is sending information to a feeding machine
  by calling a com object.

Our program now runs on a mobile device. The software is written with
pocketbuilder 2.04. Now we would also like to have the connection with
this feeding machine.

I talked to the supplier of the feeding machine. He told me that the com
object was written in Visual studio C. The simplest solution for them
would be to create a .Net object.

Is this the way to go?

Thanks
Eric
0
Ontsnapt
5/8/2006 12:02:22 PM
sybase.pocketpowerbuilder 3097 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Up on CodeXChange we have a handful of "adapter" layers (sometimes
called "shims") that allow PocketBuilder to call complex COM objects.
The "PocketSOAP" project is one such object.

The current PocketBuilder cannot directly call a .NET object (that
style of interop was not even possible on the PocketPC O.S. until
very recently).

HTH,
Reed Shilts
PocketBuilder Development Manager
<Standard-Disclaimers-Apply/>

On 8 May 2006 05:02:22 -0700, Ontsnapt <ontsnapt@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Our powerbuilder application is sending information to a feeding machine
>  by calling a com object.
>
>Our program now runs on a mobile device. The software is written with
>pocketbuilder 2.04. Now we would also like to have the connection with
>this feeding machine.
>
>I talked to the supplier of the feeding machine. He told me that the com
>object was written in Visual studio C. The simplest solution for them
>would be to create a .Net object.
>
>Is this the way to go?
>
>Thanks
>Eric

0
Reed

Object vs Object
Hi, just learning ASP.NET, and have come across a thing with objects that I would lke to clear up. In an event handler, say: Sub Page_Load(sender as object, e as eventargs), is this an instance of a class. I've also read about a type of object that can be used as an umbrella for string, integer etc. Is there any difference between the sender and the sting etc.? As you suspected, "object" class is the "umbrella" for nearly all classes in .NET.  You can assign almost anything to an object and later use it with casting.  For example:        object obj;...

Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript??
From: "Chris Fauvel" <chris_fauvel@fintech.net> Subject: Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript?? Date: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 2:33 PM I'm interested in knowing how to call somebody else's COM object written in C++ (it is a dual interface...what ever that it is) would we enter the information the same way we do for DLLs within the global/local external functions section for whatever object we want the function to be available? Any examples or direction to examples would be appreciated. Thanks Chris Use the C...

Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript??
I'm interested in knowing how to call somebody else's COM object written in C++ (it is a dual interface...what ever that it is) would we enter the information the same way we do for DLLs within the global/local external functions section for whatever object we want the function to be available? Any examples or direction to examples would be appreciated. Thanks Chris hi, I'v tested it yet, i couldn't use it with the global/local external functions declarations method. It could be that some components need to be initialized first and global/local e...

detailsview and objects (and objects inside objects inside objects)
hi there!as I was browsing through the posts related to the detailsview I couldn't find someone with the problem I'm facing so I decided to post here...well, I was able to bound an object datasource into my gridview and detailsview, it deletes and shows the data very well, BUT inside the object, there's another object, for example, I have bound a class called Province and inside the Province class there's the Country class indicating the data from the related country, to edit and/or insert I have placed a drop down list so the user selects the country from a drop down list, everything seems ...

COM objects, PFC, and n_tr object
I have a NVO (nvo1) that I wish to compile as a COM object. nvo1 calls a function in nvo2. nvo2.function contains a local transaction object inherited from the PFC n_tr (l_tr). nvo1 can be successfully compiled as a COM object. If nvo1 is used as a regular PB object, all works well. But if nvo1 is used as a COM object, nvo1 blows up at the point at which the called function nvo2.function destroys l_tr, whether it is destroyed explicitly ("DESTROY l_tr") or implicitly by the function ending. Why? It is my understanding that once through the COM gateway, the COM objec...

Application Object vs Cache Object
What's the difference between Application and Cache objects? -Mike Application provides a place to store an Object that is scoped Application wide.  Once created this object will live for the duration of your app unless you destroy it. Cache also provides application wide storage, but also provides for automatic expirations (to allow you to reclaim memory) and expiration callbacks.  When you are using Cache, your code should anticipate that the Cached object may have been automatically expired and thus may need to be recreated.  Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a sit...

Accessing objects returned by COM object
Hello there, I'm new to ASP.NET (migrating from PHP and Java), and have what is probably an entirely stupid problem: The data layer of the site I am updating is composed of a number of compiled COM objects, the source of which I don't have access to. I have created Interop wrappers for the objects, but I'm not quite sure how to handle the VB objects that they return (I am working in C#). I'm not very familiar with VB, but the VB objects are definitely a list of some kind, so I was vaguely hoping to be able to cast to an ArrayList. Unfortunately, this is raising an IllegalCastExce...

Object = nothing vs object.dispose()
What is better to use when you want to close out an object that was created created?  Object = Nothing Or object.Dispose()ThanksZas I believe that you are supposed to call Dispose if the class you're using implements it for best performance. A quick search seems to confirm this (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenetcheck06.asp) but the most airtight way to see if your changes are improving performance or not is to measure the differences - your best gain is always from working on whatever the bottleneck really is in your application....

Powerbuilder COM object
Hi All, I am using powrbuilder(6.5) created DLL(Machine code) and i have following code in VB to call function from that DLL. Private Sub Command1_Click() Dim pbo As New PBCOM.CoMsg Dim ret As Integer ->ret = pbo.of_status(6) 'This line got error message End Sub Error message : Run Time Error 429 ActiveX component cant create object. Here is PB DLL detail: PB COM Server File Name: C:\mdesai\pbcom\PBCOM.dll Interface Definition File Name: C:\mdesai\pbcom\PBCOM.idl PB COM Server Type: In Process Server Object :uo_msg COM ClassName:CoMsg Program ID:PB60CO...

Tip Thread
Hi all, Just a few more tips to hopefully help my fellow developers save some valuable development time by avoiding some of the issues I've suffered through: OLE Automation Server Object Issues: As I've mentioned before in the Tip Thread - Creating COM Objects (Restatement), using OLE Automation Server (simply "Automation Server" in 7.0) is a great alternative to using the COM generator since with OLE Automation Server objects you be able to create COM objects from any PB NVO that contains non-private references to any PB specific datatypes, like PB NVO's, u...

OLE Control vs OLE dw object vs OLE Column in dw object
Dear all, I'm using PB 6.5.1 with PFC. I'm trying to right Mail Merge like function in a system. Thus, we've to keep the merged document into history for later referece. I'm wondering the difference between OLE Control vs OLE dw object vs OLE Column in dw object??? Can anyone give some ideas on the above and what is the usage of it?? On the other hand, I'm wondering whether I'm using the RTE dw object for mail merge and then save the whole content into a OLE Database blob column, or using OLE control to MS Word + using DDE to transfer the data to MS Word?? ...

Object Session
Hi!, I have a file named cDatos.cs with the following lines:  this.usuario = System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Session["usuario"].ToString(); this.contrasena = System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Session["password"].ToString(); this.obtenerConexion(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Session["nombrecompania"].ToString());  I call this code from another class who I instantiate from an aspx page, but I receive the following error:{"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."} Any hint on this?regards, -eduardo s.m. &nbs...

Maintaining object references within a COM object
Does anybody know if there is a way to maintain and hold a reference to an object declared within a COM object? I am attempting to obtain reference to objects that are instantiated by the COM object with an OLEObject after calling "ConnectToNewObject". Just short of writting a "wrapper" DLL with C#, I would like to first find out if this is possible in Powerbuilder. Any suggestions? ...

Deployment of a generated COM Object as a DCOM Object
Hello People ! We generated with PowerBuilder 6.5 a COM Object and used it in Microsoft Word without any Problems. If we try to use it as a DCOM Object we are unable to establish a connection. Does anybody know which things we have to set in the Windows Registry or somewhere else, to get it work ? We heard somethings about a "Surrogate Server" but dont know how to set it up right. Thanks in advance, Andreas Eibegger Dept. Softwaredevelopement Andritz AG Email: eibegger@grz.andritz.com Phone: +43-316-6902-2050 ...

Web resources about - powerbuilder com object vs pocketbuilder .... object - sybase.pocketpowerbuilder

Product Data Sheets - Sybase Inc
switch to mobile view Worldwide [change] Argentina Australia Austria Belgium Brazil Canada China Czech Republic Denmark Finland France Germany ...

Evaluations - Sybase Inc
switch to mobile view Worldwide [change] Argentina Australia Austria Belgium Brazil Canada China Czech Republic Denmark Finland France Germany ...

Sybase Software Downloads and Code Samples - Database and Mobility Software - Sybase Inc
The business intelligence and database management software download center offers various Sybase software downloads and code samples. For more ...