Sockets

PB8.0
W2K

What do people use to implement sockets in PB?

Nathan
0
NP

I just use the API functions.

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:02:34 -0600, NP <tarsi@no-see-evil.binhost.com>
wrote:

>PB8.0
>W2K
>
>What do people use to implement sockets in PB?
>
>Nathan

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com

Which can now be pre-ordered through Amazon.com

If you would like to continue to be able to use Google to search *all* of these newsgroups, please contact Google at and let them know.
mailto:groups-support@google.com

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
1/1/2003 6:01:33 AM
The Windows API calls.

wrote:

>PB8.0
>W2K
>
>What do people use to implement sockets in PB?
>
>Nathan

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com

Which can now be pre-ordered through Amazon.com

If you would like to continue to be able to use Google to search *all* of these newsgroups, please contact Google at and let them know.
mailto:groups-support@google.com

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
1/3/2003 2:53:37 PM
Nathan;

    Try "SocketWrench" ...
http://www.catalyst.com/products/sockettools/socketwrench

regards ... Chris
Great White North Technical Evangelist

"NP" <tarsi@no-see-evil.binhost.com> wrote in message
> PB8.0
> W2K
>
> What do people use to implement sockets in PB?
>
> Nathan

0
Chris
1/3/2003 2:57:43 PM
why not winsock.ocx?

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
schreef in bericht news:9v8b1vspe8clcmdkj90tbkki13s9hogtgr@4ax.com...
> The Windows API calls.
>
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:02:34 -0600, NP <tarsi@no-see-evil.binhost.com>
> wrote:
>
> >PB8.0
> >W2K
> >
> >What do people use to implement sockets in PB?
> >
> >Nathan
>
> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
>
> Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
> http://www.pb9books.com
>
> Which can now be pre-ordered through Amazon.com
>
> If you would like to continue to be able to use Google to search *all* of
these newsgroups, please contact Google at and let them know.
> mailto:groups-support@google.com
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
Assisi
> http://www.needhim.org

0
Harry
1/3/2003 3:44:35 PM
Because I'm comfortable using the API calls directly.  A lot of the
sockets implementation is just sending text messages back and forth
between the client and the server.  The form of the text message
varies by service, but the underlying concept is the same.  It's
actually pretty simple once you dig into it a bit.

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:44:35 +0100, "Harry Schurink"
<h_schurinkATtsdDOTnl> wrote:

>why not winsock.ocx?
>

>"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
>schreef in bericht news:9v8b1vspe8clcmdkj90tbkki13s9hogtgr@4ax.com...
>> The Windows API calls.
>>
>> On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:02:34 -0600, NP <tarsi@no-see-evil.binhost.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >PB8.0
>> >W2K
>> >
>> >What do people use to implement sockets in PB?
>> >
>> >Nathan
>>
>> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
>> http://www.teamsybase.com
>>
>> Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
>> http://www.pb9books.com
>>
>> Which can now be pre-ordered through Amazon.com
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672325004
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672324997
>>
>> If you would like to continue to be able to use Google to search *all* of
>these newsgroups, please contact Google at and let them know.
>> mailto:groups-support@google.com
>>
>> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
>Assisi
>> http://www.needhim.org

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com

If you would like to continue to be able to use Google to search *all* of these newsgroups, please contact Google at and let them know.
mailto:groups-support@google.com

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
1/3/2003 4:51:44 PM
If your PB app is going to be the 'client' and synchronous calls are ok,
then API may be the best way to go from an installation standpoint.  One
less thing to install and you don't have to register it.    Of course you
have to figure out the API calls, although Bruce or someone may already have
them published in one of the many websites.

If your PB app is going to be the server (listening for connections) or you
need asynchronous calls to the server, you probably need an OCX.
I also use socketwrench from catalyst.  Tried both the free version and the
non-free version, and both work very well.  I bought the non-free since I
like the idea of that company staying in business.

mike

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> Nathan;
>
>     Try "SocketWrench" ...
> http://www.catalyst.com/products/sockettools/socketwrench
>
> regards ... Chris
> Great White North Technical Evangelist
>
> "NP" <tarsi@no-see-evil.binhost.com> wrote in message
> > PB8.0
> > W2K
> >
> > What do people use to implement sockets in PB?
> >
> > Nathan

Mike;

    Suggestion:

  Would happen to have any prototype code around using the SW software and
PB that you could post here? That might help a few PB developers get started
with the product.

Thanks ... Chris

"M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> If your PB app is going to be the 'client' and synchronous calls are ok,
> then API may be the best way to go from an installation standpoint.  One
> less thing to install and you don't have to register it.    Of course you
> have to figure out the API calls, although Bruce or someone may already
have
> them published in one of the many websites.
>
> If your PB app is going to be the server (listening for connections) or
you
> need asynchronous calls to the server, you probably need an OCX.
> I also use socketwrench from catalyst.  Tried both the free version and
the
> non-free version, and both work very well.  I bought the non-free since I
> like the idea of that company staying in business.
>
> mike
>

> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > Nathan;
> >
> >     Try "SocketWrench" ...
> > http://www.catalyst.com/products/sockettools/socketwrench
> >
> > regards ... Chris
> > Great White North Technical Evangelist
> >
> > "NP" <tarsi@no-see-evil.binhost.com> wrote in message
> > > PB8.0
> > > W2K
> > >
> > > What do people use to implement sockets in PB?
> > >
> > > Nathan

0
Chris
1/14/2003 4:31:01 PM
Mike;

  Thanks for the code!

Regards ... Chris

> Here it is attached (zipped).  Built to simply send text from one window
> another.
> Just change the IP addresses (hostaddress) in the client connect button to
> talk to a server on a different machine.
>

> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > Mike;
> >
> >     Suggestion:
> >
> >   Would happen to have any prototype code around using the SW software
and
> > PB that you could post here? That might help a few PB developers get
> started
> > with the product.
> >
> > Thanks ... Chris
> >

> > "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > If your PB app is going to be the 'client' and synchronous calls are
ok,
> > > then API may be the best way to go from an installation standpoint.
One
> > > less thing to install and you don't have to register it.    Of course
> you
> > > have to figure out the API calls, although Bruce or someone may
already
> > have
> > > them published in one of the many websites.
> > >
> > > If your PB app is going to be the server (listening for connections)
or
> > you
> > > need asynchronous calls to the server, you probably need an OCX.
> > > I also use socketwrench from catalyst.  Tried both the free version
and
> > the
> > > non-free version, and both work very well.  I bought the non-free
since
> > > like the idea of that company staying in business.
> > >
> > > mike
> > >

> > > "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message

0
Chris
1/17/2003 4:22:09 PM
Also, I guess I should have mentioned that the version of the code is PB 7

> Mike;
>
>   Thanks for the code!
>
> Regards ... Chris
>
> "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Here it is attached (zipped).  Built to simply send text from one window
> > another.
> > Just change the IP addresses (hostaddress) in the client connect button
> > talk to a server on a different machine.
> >

> > "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > > Mike;
> > >
> > >     Suggestion:
> > >
> > >   Would happen to have any prototype code around using the SW software
> and
> > > PB that you could post here? That might help a few PB developers get
> > started
> > > with the product.
> > >
> > > Thanks ... Chris
> > >

> > > "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> ok,
> One
> > you
> already
> > > have

> or
> > > you
> and
> > > the
> since

Mike;

  I converted your PB 7 code to PB 8.0.03 and 9 (RC1). Here are the problems
I encountered....

1)    During the migration, it fails on the code in "n_winsock_sheetmanager"
on the method "of_register_sheet"  (w_winsock_client2 lw_sheet3), where
"w_winsock_client2" does NOT Exist. This should be commented out.
2)    In the "Server" Sheet, there is a duplicate OLE Object called
"ole_socket2". This interferes with the 1st communication from the "Client"
sheet. I just removed it and commented out the reference to it in the "open"
event.

Now it all works under PB 8 and PB 9.

Many thanks!

Regards ... Chris

"M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Here it is attached (zipped).  Built to simply send text from one window
> another.
> Just change the IP addresses (hostaddress) in the client connect button to
> talk to a server on a different machine.
>

> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > Mike;
> >
> >     Suggestion:
> >
> >   Would happen to have any prototype code around using the SW software
and
> > PB that you could post here? That might help a few PB developers get
> started
> > with the product.
> >
> > Thanks ... Chris
> >

> > "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > If your PB app is going to be the 'client' and synchronous calls are
ok,
> > > then API may be the best way to go from an installation standpoint.
One
> > > less thing to install and you don't have to register it.    Of course
> you
> > > have to figure out the API calls, although Bruce or someone may
already
> > have
> > > them published in one of the many websites.
> > >
> > > If your PB app is going to be the server (listening for connections)
or
> > you
> > > need asynchronous calls to the server, you probably need an OCX.
> > > I also use socketwrench from catalyst.  Tried both the free version
and
> > the
> > > non-free version, and both work very well.  I bought the non-free
since
> > > like the idea of that company staying in business.
> > >
> > > mike
> > >

> > > "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message

0
Chris
1/17/2003 5:54:16 PM
Ok -thanks Chris.
I just sorta ran through and got rid of some extra stuff unrelated to the
simple messaging example, but apparently not all of it.

> Mike;
>
>   I converted your PB 7 code to PB 8.0.03 and 9 (RC1). Here are the
problems
> I encountered....
>
> 1)    During the migration, it fails on the code in
"n_winsock_sheetmanager"
> on the method "of_register_sheet"  (w_winsock_client2 lw_sheet3), where
> "w_winsock_client2" does NOT Exist. This should be commented out.
> 2)    In the "Server" Sheet, there is a duplicate OLE Object called
> "ole_socket2". This interferes with the 1st communication from the
"Client"
> sheet. I just removed it and commented out the reference to it in the
"open"
> event.
>
> Now it all works under PB 8 and PB 9.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Regards ... Chris
>
> "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Here it is attached (zipped).  Built to simply send text from one window
> > another.
> > Just change the IP addresses (hostaddress) in the client connect button
> > talk to a server on a different machine.
> >

> > "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > > Mike;
> > >
> > >     Suggestion:
> > >
> > >   Would happen to have any prototype code around using the SW software
> and
> > > PB that you could post here? That might help a few PB developers get
> > started
> > > with the product.
> > >
> > > Thanks ... Chris
> > >

> > > "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> ok,
> One
> > you
> already
> > > have

> or
> > > you
> and
> > > the
> since

Mike;

    Wonderful starter example though!

regards ... Chris

> Ok -thanks Chris.
> I just sorta ran through and got rid of some extra stuff unrelated to the
> simple messaging example, but apparently not all of it.
>
> Mike
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message
> > Mike;
> >
> >   I converted your PB 7 code to PB 8.0.03 and 9 (RC1). Here are the
> problems
> > I encountered....
> >
> > 1)    During the migration, it fails on the code in
> "n_winsock_sheetmanager"
> > on the method "of_register_sheet"  (w_winsock_client2 lw_sheet3), where
> > "w_winsock_client2" does NOT Exist. This should be commented out.
> > 2)    In the "Server" Sheet, there is a duplicate OLE Object called
> > "ole_socket2". This interferes with the 1st communication from the
> "Client"
> > sheet. I just removed it and commented out the reference to it in the
> "open"
> > event.
> >
> > Now it all works under PB 8 and PB 9.
> >
> > Many thanks!
> >
> > Regards ... Chris
> >
> > "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > Here it is attached (zipped).  Built to simply send text from one
window
> > > another.
> > > Just change the IP addresses (hostaddress) in the client connect
button
> > > talk to a server on a different machine.
> > >

> > > "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com> wrote in message

> > and
> > > started

> > ok,
> > One
> course
> > > you
> > already

> > or
> > and
> > since

0
Chris

Welcome to the OLE-OCX-ACTIVEX newsgroup
Welcome to the OLE-OCX-ACTIVEX newsgroup. This is a forum for discussion on topics related to the usage of OLE, OCX and ACTIVEX with PowerBuilder. Feel free to post questions about the product, concerns about your development needs for enhancements and any other feedback. All posted messages will be in the public domain and may be republished on Powersoft's InfoBase CD ROM as well as on our WebSite in order to provide information that is extremely valuable to other developers. This is NOT Powersoft Technical Support and it is not the purpose of this newsgroup service to allo...

how can i use powerbuilder to develop an activex/ole/ocx? help me please!!!
Please do not cross-post. -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] MySybase -- http://www.sybase.com/mysybase "tadsun" <tadsun@163.com> wrote in message news:jIQ8Mt7BCHA.200@forums.sybase.com... > > > ...

can i use pb's automation server to create an activex/ole/ocx? help me!
Please do not cross-post. -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] MySybase -- http://www.sybase.com/mysybase "tadsun" <tadsun@163.com> wrote in message news:UXo0Ru7BCHA.201@forums.sybase.com... > > > ...

New to OCX : How can we access OLE, OCX events and properties
Hi Everyone I have never used OCX, OLE controls, my question is how can we access their events how can we access their properties Thanks There events should be posted along with regular PB events. Access properties and methods with the .OBJECT keyword. i.e. oleobject_1.object.property = ?? Craig Gluck mohammed Al <yagalhaj@aol.com> wrote in article <345E17F5.D6F6A994@aol.com>... > Hi Everyone > I have never used OCX, OLE controls, my question is > how can we access their events > how can we access their properties > > Thanks >...

OCX, ActiveX
Hi there. I�m looking for a component in which I can create a graph with two Y axes (2 different scales). The idea is to achieve something like excel does with one of its graph types (the "lines in two axes" one) but I don�t want to use excel like an ole object because its menu appears and this is an effect unwished for the application I�m working in. I hope to be clear regarding this issue and if somebody could help me I�d really appreciate it !!! Thanks in advance. C�sar Bernal Mapas y Datos S.A. These guys probably have something that will work for you:...

OCX/ActiveX
Can I use OCX/ActiveX with WebForms ? No, that is not a supported feature. They do work with Windows Forms however. Regards, Dave Fish Sybase On 10 Jul 2007 08:43:19 -0700, "Mohammad Alhabibi" <malhabibi@yalla.com> wrote: >Can I use OCX/ActiveX with WebForms ? > But Browser activex in Winform don't works. "Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <dfish@[N0Spam]sybase.com> wrote in message news:40k7939bkbj0652duqhk48bo9trevvngsc@4ax.com... > No, that is not a supported feature. They do work with Windows Forms > however. > >...

ActiveX, OCX
I have ActiveX and OCX resources built for Win32 that I need to incorporate to WinCE in PocketBuilder. I tried trough an external visual object but it asks for DLL as the library name. How can I use ActiveX and OCX objects for WinCE in PocketBuilder? rgds, SS ActiveX and OCX are not supported in PocketBuilder. <SS> wrote in message news:42eb46e3.449a.1681692777@sybase.com... >I have ActiveX and OCX resources built for Win32 that I need > to incorporate to WinCE in PocketBuilder. > I tried trough an external visual object but it asks for DLL > as the librar...

Barcode ActiveX with OCX
I don�t know what kind of ActiveX Codebar to use. I need put in the datawindow Object a barcode to print in each page the codebar of a item value. I don�t kow how to use it. Thanks, aa Antonio, You can use barcode fonts for that, no need for an OCX control. I searched AltaVista for "barcode 39" and "fonts" and found quite a few. -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamPS] Antonio Adell Due�as <aadell@aragob.es> wrote in message news:371ED7DF.AD70AD10@aragob.es... > I don�t know what kind of ActiveX Codebar to use. > > I need pu...

OCX/ACTIVEX FOR HTML
Hello, Does anyone know any freeware ocx/activex that converts doc to html. All i want to do is in a powerbuilder window to have an ole that i can paste on it a doc and convert it to html and then insert the html code in database Thanks Stelios Stelios wrote: > Hello, > > Does anyone know any freeware ocx/activex that converts doc to html. All i > want to do is in a powerbuilder window to have an ole that i can paste on it > a doc and convert it to html and then insert the html code in database > > Thanks > > Stelios > > ...

OCX on an activeX not working
I have made an activeX control from a usercontrol dll in C#. Now i want to place an exisiting ocx on that usercontrol. It compiles fine but when i run it from a html page, it only dusplays the symbol with the square, circle and triangle. It does not give any errors. When i try the usercontrol on a windows form it runs without a problem. Does anyone know how to get the html running? The ocx uses dll which i copied in the same dir. I still think it is a dll problem or a rights issue. Nobody got a clue or a hint?...

Adobe and OLE/OCX
I have inserted an OCX control for Adobe Reader 6.0 onto my PB window and it's working fine for now. But I understand from the Adobe User Forum that Reader 7.0 will no longer support this. And I actually don't need OCX support and would rather connect to Adobe Reader as an OLE Object that I connect to via ConnectToObject(). Is this possible? Are these two entirely different technologies? Thanks for any help. Last I heard, Adobe Reader does NOT support OLE automation - only the Full Acrobat product supports OLE/COM On 1 Apr 2005 14:25:56 -0800, in sybase.public.p...

Window ActiveX OCX
Hi I need PBRX70.OCX and PBRXS70.OCX. I will appretiate if anyone can tell where I can download it from. Many thanks Obed ...

ActiveX , OCX and other stuff
The story of my life .... Trying to figure out how to work with an ActiveX control in PB or with OLE. Got bored to see the annoying message "Error calling external object function". Is it so hard for Sybase to make PB behave like VB or VC when using external controls. e.g. Use Autocomplete for methods etc. That's really frustrating. Yes even I have faced this kind of problem when I tried to access Powerpoint application using OLE in PB. If autocomplete is provided in PB as VB and VC it proves more handy kishore "Christos Ioannou" <chris...

ActiveX, OLE Automation, OLEStorage
1.) Does anyone know how to create an ActiveX control in PB 6.0 or 6.5? 2.) I have utilized OLE automation to use some functionality of Excel and Word. Unfortunately, whenever I use the ConnectToNewObject() or ConnectToObject() functions of an OLEObject variable, either the entire application of Word or Excel application is opened behind the scenes. This is the case even though I only want to use a single function within these applications. It seems like a waste to load the entire application to get just at simple functionality. Is it possible to open lightweight component applicatio...

OLE/OCX in datawindow (PhotoPRO)
Has anyone got experience in embedding OLE controls in datawindows? I'm interested in how to access that control per row and how to load/store data between the control and - from/to an source external from database (blob/file) depending on the methods and properties this controls got for loading/saving and depending on the row (where the filename is stored in another database column), - a database blob column. Especially I want to use the Pegasus PhotoPRO (2.0) ActiveX control to give a preview of pictures (different for each row) and other database columns where the image is...

Web resources about - Sockets - sybase.ole-ocx-activex

AC power plugs and sockets - British and related types - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plugs and sockets for portable appliances originated in Britain in the 1880s and were initially two pin designs. These were usually sold as a ...

usb charger to fit a car lighter socket - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Made a quick l7805 (think minty boost) charger for some gadgets. Runs from a car cigarette lighter plug, and outputs 5vdc to a female usb socket. ...

Mitch Robinson lied to Carlton about incident that left him with a broken eye socket
Mitch Robinson lied to Carlton officials when asked why he had suffered a broken eye socket during a scuffle in the early hours of Sunday morning. ...

Brisbane Broncos forward Alex Glenn facing six weeks on sideline with fractured eye socket
Wayne Bennett ranks Brisbane fullbacks as Justin Hodges injury leaves Broncos with fifth choice rookie

iDevices adds new Siri-controlled wall outlets, switches and light sockets to its HomeKit lineup
... HomeKit-compatible products with four new gadgets that make home automation even easier. The Apple accessory maker is showing off its new Socket, ...

ASRock Rack Announces EP2C612D24 and 4L: Dual Socket Haswell-EP with 24 DDR4 Slots
... 16GB UDIMMs, this allows for a maximum of 384GB, although moving up to RDIMM, LRDIMMs or 64GB NVDIMMs pushes the max to 1.5TB in a dual socket ...

Windows Server 2016 moving to per core, not per socket, licensing
... until the second half of next year, is going to shake up the way Microsoft licenses its server operating system, moving away from per socket ...

Cool Chart of the Week: Solar Socket Parity In California, Australia, Germany, Italy, & Netherlands
I forget now how I ran across this chart, but it’s a nice one. It shows that residential solar PV power hit socket parity (aka grid parity) in ...

Dell Aims Four-Socket Server at Modern Database Hardware Needs
Launches x86 PowerEdge servers in bid to carve out more high-end server market share Read More

Video: Socket To Me! Nitwit At ‘Hand To God’ Tries To Charge Phone On Set
... on a performance of Hand To God at Broadway ’s Booth Theatre a few days ago, this patron leapt onstage and tried to plug his phone into a socket ...