can powerbuilder ole 2.0 with MS word possibly suck as bad as it seems to?

i've been trying to support what should ostensibly be a very simple
procedure using ole automation with ms word 6.0 as the server. as far as
i can tell, unless i'm really crazy, the same line(s) of code produce
different results, randomly. moreover, pb 5.0 doesn't seem to support
the majority of wordbasic's functionality due to its "function" format
as opposed to wordbasic's dot format, i.e. editgoto() vs.
editbookmark.Name = "schmoe", .SortBy = 0, .Goto Insert "Joe".

does anyone know whether or not pb 5.0 (enterprise) has a crappy ole 2.0
implementation (at least as far as wordbasic is concerned), or am i
merely an incompetent after two years' experience with the product?

any feedback, constructive or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.
0
smn

Could you post your code so I could have a look at it. I'm able to control
Excel from Powerbuilder without a problem, Word can't be that much
different.

smn gdds <jjoe@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<33CCE721.6DC1@ix.netcom.com>...
> i've been trying to support what should ostensibly be a very simple
> procedure using ole automation with ms word 6.0 as the server. as far as
> i can tell, unless i'm really crazy, the same line(s) of code produce
> different results, randomly. moreover, pb 5.0 doesn't seem to support
> the majority of wordbasic's functionality due to its "function" format
> as opposed to wordbasic's dot format, i.e. editgoto() vs.
> editbookmark.Name = "schmoe", .SortBy = 0, .Goto Insert "Joe".
>
> does anyone know whether or not pb 5.0 (enterprise) has a crappy ole 2.0
> implementation (at least as far as wordbasic is concerned), or am i
> merely an incompetent after two years' experience with the product?
>
> any feedback, constructive or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.

0
Gene
7/17/1997 11:46:02 AM
Gene:

Word is that much different.  Excel exposes a function based interface
whereas Word uses WordBasic and does not.  This causes doing any OLE
automation of word to be very difficult and very crypitic.
--
Edney Holder
Senior Software Engineer

Gene C <genec@cat.bbsr.edu> wrote in article
<01bc92af$b5f9a460$3e01a8c0@genec>...
> Could you post your code so I could have a look at it. I'm able to
control
> Excel from Powerbuilder without a problem, Word can't be that much
> different.
>
> smn gdds <jjoe@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
> <33CCE721.6DC1@ix.netcom.com>...
> > i've been trying to support what should ostensibly be a very simple
> > procedure using ole automation with ms word 6.0 as the server. as far
as
> > i can tell, unless i'm really crazy, the same line(s) of code produce
> > different results, randomly. moreover, pb 5.0 doesn't seem to support
> > the majority of wordbasic's functionality due to its "function" format
> > as opposed to wordbasic's dot format, i.e. editgoto() vs.
> > editbookmark.Name = "schmoe", .SortBy = 0, .Goto Insert "Joe".
> >
> > does anyone know whether or not pb 5.0 (enterprise) has a crappy ole
2.0
> > implementation (at least as far as wordbasic is concerned), or am i
> > merely an incompetent after two years' experience with the product?
> >
> > any feedback, constructive or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.

0
Ed
8/27/1997 3:22:45 PM
As PB doesnot support named arguments, when calling wordbasic functions you
will have to call all the arguments in the correct order. Suppose there is a
function Open taking two args "a" which is required and "b" which is
optional then you can call ole_1.Object.Application.Wordbasic.open ( a ),
but if "a" was optional and "b" was required then you would have to call the
function with both the arguments.

smn gdds wrote:

> i've been trying to support what should ostensibly be a very simple
> procedure using ole automation with ms word 6.0 as the server. as far as
> i can tell, unless i'm really crazy, the same line(s) of code produce
> different results, randomly. moreover, pb 5.0 doesn't seem to support
> the majority of wordbasic's functionality due to its "function" format
> as opposed to wordbasic's dot format, i.e. editgoto() vs.
> editbookmark.Name = "schmoe", .SortBy = 0, .Goto Insert "Joe".
>
> does anyone know whether or not pb 5.0 (enterprise) has a crappy ole 2.0
> implementation (at least as far as wordbasic is concerned), or am i
> merely an incompetent after two years' experience with the product?
>
> any feedback, constructive or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.

0
Alok

OLE 2.0 with MS Word (target data)
How can I transfer data from a Sybase table to a Word file associated to a DataWindow with OLE 2.0 presentation style ? P.S. : I�he already tried to use target data. Danny Moscon ...

Replacing a string in MS Word using OLE 2.0
Hi, I am trying to create a program using PB 6.5/OLE 2.0 that will "replace" a set of strings in about 2000 MS Word 97 documents. However, it seems that you can't use the wordbasic command "EditReplace" in a PB script as below. ole_word.Object.application.wordbasic.EditReplace??? Does anyone know how to do this or is there any VB command, instead of Wordbasic, to accomplish the same task? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Nobuo Nobuo -- Using Word/97, I recorded the following macro to replace all occurrances of "BROWN...

how can i use powerbuilder to develop an activex/ole/ocx? help me please!!!
Please do not cross-post. -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] MySybase -- http://www.sybase.com/mysybase "tadsun" <tadsun@163.com> wrote in message news:jIQ8Mt7BCHA.200@forums.sybase.com... > > > ...

Word97,OLE 2.0,PowerBuilder 5.0.03 Close without saving document.
The following syntax provides me with the ability to close a document without save. 1. How do I say WdSaveOptions=wdDoNotSaveChanges when OLE 2.0 control has argument wdDoNotSaveChanges defiened as REF Any? 2. Can I access that Constant data type as an externally defined data type? 3. If so How? 4. If not how do I make a MailMerge for preview and make it quietly go away without saving. VB document Close() syntax: Syntax 1: Closes the specified document or documents. Syntax 2: Closes the specified window. Syntax 3: Closes the specified pane or task. Syntax 1 expression.Clos...

Word 6.0 and Word 97 installed
We have two versions of MS Word installed, Word 6.0 and Word 97. We have all the OLE control objects and commands written for Word 6.0. We are not ready to code for Word 97 yet. We have users that need both version of Word installed. How do we point to Word 6.0 OLE object when we have Word 6.0 and Word 97 installed? Is there a way we can modify the registry entry to point to Word 6.0? Right now, everything is pointing to Word 97. When I create a OLE word object on the window, it points to Word 97. Thanks, Lynn ...

Using Ms Word OLE in Powerbuilder??
I'v recently enherited a PowerBuilder app that strips data out of DB2 and inserts it into A Word mail/merge document for printing using OLE. It was built for use with Word 5.0. We've gone to Office 97. It no longer works (same old story). Here is the offending code: ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.EditGoTo ("Include") ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.LINEDOWN(1) ole_document.ActiveDocument.Content.InsertAfter(i_sAcctDetail) It stops on the first line and the error message says that the "EditGoTo property was not found" Can someone stear ...

OLE 2.0 with word 97
have a window with an OLE 2.0 control. I am not able to access the Word Macro using the example given in the book. I am trying to pass a value to the macro after fetching it from the window. The difference is the one given in the books supports Word Basic but latest releases of Word (i.e. Word 97) supports VBA. The syntax does not work at all for ths new word release. There are two ways given in the book, one by connect object and other direct referencing. And none of them work. I am able to invoke word document and see the macros I wrote in it. Please suggest. Here is the code to...

WDK and MS-Word through OLE #2
Hi, I am doing OLE to MS-Word to generate some letters. WDK gives an error message 'File Not found' when executing 'LinkTo()' function. But the file does exists in the specified path. Could anybody suggest a work around? Here is the code: ls_doc_name = "c:\charts\cse0007.doc" // check whether the document is existing lb_fileexists = FileExists(ls_doc_name) CHOOSE CASE lb_fileexists CASE FALSE MessageBox("Error", ls_doc_name + " Not found",StopSign!) Return FALSE END CHOOSE //ole_docword is an OLE control with Object Type ...

PowerBuilder 10.2 with Word OLE
Hi, I am having a crazy hard time trying to figure out what is wrong with this PowerBuilder interaction with Microsoft Word 2003. After upgrading from Windows 2000 and Office 2000 to Windows XP and Office 2003, document corruption seems to occur (4 bytes of garbage scattered throughout the document file). Both methods of accessing the OLE/Word DOM are being used. One with the ActiveX control on a form and the other using the CREATE OLEObject. Word is being used to view, edit, print, find and replace text, and render PDF documents; no mail merges or nothing complicated like that. ...

OLE to MS-Word 6.0
I have a Microsoft Word 6.0 document stored in a Sybase database table along with other details in the same table like 'Doc Name' and 'Doc Description'. I need to retrieve the Word Document as an OLE object using tabular datawindow. This way the users can scroll down the datawindow check the 'Doc Name' and click on the OLE column and launch MS-Word. The users should be able to make modifications in the Documents and update the database via MS-Word. I tried using Blob object on the Datawindow. However there are following problems: 1. When MS-Word is ...

OLE to MS Word for Spellchecking #2
I'm starting an OLE instance of Word (version 10) to take advantage of it's spell checking feature. This works fine except for when I ADD a new document to Word. The ADD function wants to be visible by default. We don't want the user to see anything except the Checkspelling dialog if it finds and word in question. I've searched around and found that there are some parameters for the ADD statement. In fact, the fourth paramater is the visibility value. I've been trying various combinations of passing parameters or a parameter string through my OLE object to Word...

Oracle Provider for OLE DB 9.2.0.2.0
Hello, we have a strange behavior with the oledb driver for Oracle; sometime, the driver is not able to format the DATE/TIME field; we just reboot the machine (the client, not the database) and it's back working. For example we do this: DataReader.GetDateTime(index) and sometimes this break... The data is ok in the database; we exported it and try to have the same error on another machine and everything is ok. In the doc they said: For Oracle Provider for OLE DB, NLS_DATE_FORMAT is fixed for the session to 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS' by the provider. So I don't think...

Powerbuilder to MS Word via OLE is slow
Our application has used Word through an OLE connection for many years. It was always sort of slow but recently we upgraded from Word 95 to Word XP and it got much slower. With Word 95 it took about 15 seconds to connect, load a template, open a document and populate with data. Now that same process takes about 40 seconds with Word XP. A typical user machine is 433mhz with 64 mb RAM. Doubling the RAM gets us back down to about a 15 second response time. The problem is that we have 800 users and no money in the budget to add RAM to 800 machines. I am wondering if any of you hav...

OLE 2.0 PB5 and Word 97
I found a document on Powersoft's web site that addressed the issues of Microsoft Word changing versions. This document (44643) said you need PB 5.0.03 and a newer version of pbroi050.dll. The fixes are to be kept in a file called pb_word8.zip. The file even pointed me to http://support.sybase.com/esd/pbuilder.html, but the file is not their. Does anyone know where this file can be found? Or a new version of pbroi050.dll? Thank You, Neil Sowers iac151@mhi.iasd.usa.com ...

Web resources about - can powerbuilder ole 2.0 with MS word possibly suck as bad as it seems to? - sybase.ole-ocx-activex

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles