When should we rebuild indexes on IQ

Sybase IQ manuals and Sybase Support indicates that we don't
require to rebuild IQ indexes.Many customers do.

People that rebuild indexes on IQ can you please provide the
criteria that you follow to decide when an index is
fragmented it and need to be rebuild

Are you using at all the sp_iqindexfragmentation
0
CInvestment
2/27/2006 10:01:49 PM
sybase.iq 1656 articles. 1 followers. Follow

IQ ROLAP / IQ without a server OLAP
Hi All, My customer would like to know if Sybase IQ supports, and especially how it involve when it is used like a ROLAP. He wants to know if IQ can be manage directly via requests generated by MDX, without passing by a third (a server OLAP which generate the cube multi-dimentionnel with the IQ data). In short, he wants to use IQ as a multi-dimentionnel database with requests made for a cube multudimension. He wants to know if it is possible to do it without a server OLAP then the generation of intermediate cube. Thanks in advance, Claude not sure what you mean by 'ma...

Using Java class in IQ causes IQ to crash
Hello, I am trying to use the Java in database feature of Sybase IQ. I have written a simple Java program which returns the value of the argument - 1: ---------------------------------------------- public class Test { public static int test(int arg) { return arg - 1; } } ---------------------------------------------- It is OK to use this class by passing a numeric value to it directly, and the return value is correct: select Test.test(5) But if using this class by passing a numeric column of a table to it, IQ will immediately crash without any message: select...

IQ 12.6 and IQ client 12.5
IQ 12.6 is now downloaded, however I haven't yet had time to look much into the documentation, but one question cross my mind, is it possible to use 12.5 client when server is 12.6 ? Right now we have around 100 IQ clients we have pushed to all the PC's with SMS, however I do not have time to make another SMS package for the next 2 month, Is there any features, statement etc where we are going to run into problemes ? Scary, no one have any comments regarding this, think it is best to wait 6 month before we upgrade... 'Same procedure as last time' :-) > IQ ...

Using Java class in IQ causes IQ to crash
Hello, I am trying to use the Java in database feature of Sybase IQ. I have written a simple Java program which returns the value of the argument - 1: ---------------------------------------------- public class Test { public static int test(int arg) { return arg - 1; } } ---------------------------------------------- It is OK to use this class by passing a numeric value to it directly, and the return value is correct: select Test.test(5) But if using this class by passing a numeric column of a table to it, IQ will immediately crash without any message: select...

Fast-iq-test.com
Name: MokeMitle Email: haiseserrycipatlipetskdotin Product: eBay Companion Summary: Fast-iq-test.com - fast iq test Comments: <B>fast-iq-test.com</B> believe it or not i have an IQ of 98.4! find out yours here http://www.fast-iq-test.com <a href=http://www.fast-iq-test.com><B>iq quiz</B></a> From URL: http://en-GB.www.mozilla.com/en-GB/add-ons/ebay/feedback/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Insert Into IQ Table from a Table in sysytem within IQ (ASA)
Hi I'm using IQ12.0.3 on SUN and trying to run: "insert into T1 select * from T2" where T1 and T2 are the same but T1 is an IQ Table and T2 is a table in the system (ASA) within IQ. I'm getting error code: Error at line 1 IQ Internal error. Please ... -(df_Heap.cxx 976) Works OK for me, if you are having issues I would suggest taking the server up to the current release 12.0.3.1 with EBF 2. Upgrading is the easiest Sybase upgrade I have done. Install the product, start your database and run the upgrasiq.sql script. Rgds Matt Eli Saadi &...

IQ Crashing when Join Indexes Implemented
We are currently evaluating Sybase Adaptive Server IQ 12.4.0 on NT 4.0 (SP5). After submitting a semi complex query (see below), the IQ server crashes with the following error: asiqsrv12.exe exception: access access violation (0xc0000005), address: 0x00000000 Then, the "Interactive SQL" utility generates this message: error at line 1 communication error The NT Event Viewer shows only one message: "performance counters opened." eventid: 1 source: perfpd type: information We would appreciate any feedback from those who have experienced this error an...

To Index or Not To Index or How To Index
Hello, I was wondering if someone knows a better way to explain how different indexes work. Such as, is it better to have an index with int type or char or varchar etc? Is it better to have composite indexes or indexes with individual columns? How does optimizer handle different indexes and what can we do help it? Indexes are very efficient most of the time but they can be quite detrimental to server's performance, if abused. Perhaps you know of a good article about indexing that you could share with us. Or, perhaps Mr. Rob Verschoor would like to issue an article in his very usefu...

IQ not opening the index space after an ungraceful exit
What I have found out after a few nasty experiments is that it's not releasing its shared mem. I can replicate the situation if I connect via isql @ the server and use the indexspace and then ^C it / or Kill -9 the open_iq process it doesn't release, it does happen when the clients ungracefully exit, but I can replicate that yet. so I have to stopopen_iq, then ipcrm the sharemem and the semaphores, then start the IQ server again and it works. This has only started since I installed the latest EBF 008. Anyone else having these problems/ anyone have any solution other t...

Time estimation for loading data into IQ Indexes
Hi All We would like to estimate the time for loading data into IQ indexsets. As we would be loading data on a daily basis it would be vital information. We will be using ASE 11.5 and IQ 11.5 on NT4. The exact configuration of the Server is not yet known. The data will be loaded into IQ from an attached ASE database. We have 4 indexsets to be loaded into daily, from underlying tables. We have estimated the total number of rows for each indexset and also have decided on the IQ indexes to be created. Are there are any guidelines or statistics available to do the estimations? Plea...

IQ 12.4.2 upgrade
Anyone out there encounter problems with IQ 12.4.2 upgrade? I encountered problems on varchar columns with FP index. Gets stack trace whenever query is ran against the affected tables. Heard EBF6 will fix this problem. Anyone has any idea when EBF6 will be out or any other resolution for this problem? I have been up and down since the upgrade with this problem. Here is what is the cause and the current work around from an internal engineer. (Straight from the horses mouth.) I did the update and all has been fine. I can confirm that it will be fixed in ebf006, but who knows whe...

What does "Rebuild Index" rebuild?
In TB 2.0, if you right-click on a newsgroup name in the folder list and click properties, there's a button labeled "Rebuild Index". Is it the ..MSF files which this rebuilds, or ... ? Also, is there a way to rebuild the indices of all newsgroups within an account at the same time, or do you have to rebuild one at a time? Thanks. Rav wrote: > In TB 2.0, if you right-click on a newsgroup name in the folder list and > click properties, there's a button labeled "Rebuild Index". Is it the > .MSF files which this rebuilds, or ... ? Also, is t...

My customer use IQ 12.6 for HP-UX 64bit and DataStage on Windows. What the best way for bulk load into IQ from DataStage when both S/W sits on different servers?
Hi All, Please could you help me to provide a correct answer to this CT. +DBMS: Sybase ASE 12.x CT does not want to ftp any file to the UNIX box where IQ sites. ++The reason - there are no available file partition on this UNIX currently. - Ct wants some method when DataStage/Windows could directly send a bulk stream to the ASE (without saving a temporary load-table-file somewhere on UNIX). I have advised him a INSERT_SELECT_LOCATION methods but it does not suitablle for CT because CT has not only ASE sources but several other sources. For example, I heared that loa...

Rebuilding indexes
Hi. Is there a way to rebuild indexes in Sybase, without dropping/recreating them. I know there is a 'DBCC reindex', but what does it actually do? I think it checks the index-intergrity, and if it's ok it doesn't do anything. Is this correct? TIA Carl Cox dbcc reindex is to be used when you change the sort order for instance (it drops and recreates the index). Why do you need to rebuild an index? If there is a problem in the index structure, you have to drop and recreate it. If you want to update statistics, just do it .. Carl_Cox wrote: > >...

Web resources about - When should we rebuild indexes on IQ - sybase.iq

Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows (often abbreviated as D.R.U.G.S. ) was an American post-hardcore supergroup , formed in 2010. They released their ...

Facebook rebuilds iPhone app for speed: what’s new, better and still needs work
Facebook today released a much-anticipated update for iPhone that makes loading News Feed, photos, messages and notifications significantly faster. ...

Calgary Zoo- 2 by 2 Rebuild the Zoo #2- Malu - YouTube
Show your love. Click. Donate. Share. http://bit.ly/15efgfw

Laish La show team helping rebuild a women's community radio bombed in Gaza - The National
... host of MBC1's Laish La talks about the show's mission to become a vehicle of change – starting with a crowdfunding initiative to help rebuild ...

Hungary plans to rebuild 'Iron Curtain' to block migrants
Hungary has unveiled plans to erect a fence along its border with Serbia as part of an anti-immigration drive, saying it &quot;cannot afford ...

Elders taking steps to rebuild board
Elders has found reinforcements for its two-man board, news paves the way for a new chief executive.

Canberra NEAFL clubs can rebuild, says Belconnen Magpies coach
Belconnen Magpies coach Jeremy Rowe believes a reduction of Canberra teams in the North-East Australian Football League isn't the answer to their ...

Former commando Geoff Evans is working with RSL Lifecare to help homeless veterans rebuild their lives ...
OUR mission was to raid the target, get back to our vehicles as the sun was coming up, drive somewhere else, sleep for a few hours and then in ...

Two Darwin mates to help rebuild a Nepal village
Two Darwin friends have turned their holiday into a volunteer mission to help the people of Nepal.

Clive Palmer: "Set Aside Partisan Politics, We Have A Robot Dinosaur To Rebuild"
... made an emotional plea during Question Time for the parliament to put aside partisan squabbles and concentrate on what really matters: rebuilding ...