What is Bit-Wise Indexing?

Do you know the retrieval of bit-wise indexing?

I cannot find detailed description of algorithm.
I look example below in Sybase IQ white paper.

e.g.)

column     company   sales
               ---------------------
                A                 6
                B                 9
                C                 5

bit-wise index for sales
->>

                8bit    4bit     2bit   1bit
                 0        1         1      0
                 1        0         0     1
                 0         1        0      1

- How does  I retrieve source data using bit-wise index?

Please Help.

0
lons
10/7/2003 2:33:07 AM
sybase.iq 1656 articles. 1 followers. Follow

select * from table_name - you will get source/data. Bit-Wise is patented
index, means what is purpose of algorithm?

Pit

"������" <lons@altibase.com> wrote in message news:3f8226aa@forums-2-dub...
> Do you know the retrieval of bit-wise indexing?
>
> I cannot find detailed description of algorithm.
> I look example below in Sybase IQ white paper.
>
> e.g.)
>
> column     company   sales
>                ---------------------
>                 A                 6
>                 B                 9
>                 C                 5
>

> bit-wise index for sales
> ->>
>
>                 8bit    4bit     2bit   1bit
>                  0        1         1      0
>                  1        0         0     1
>                  0         1        0      1
>
> - How does  I retrieve source data using bit-wise index?
>

> Please Help.

0
Piter
10/7/2003 5:12:57 AM
Originally,
I wanted to know the internal of Bit-Wise Indexing algorithm.

I did not know the alogorithm is patented.

I'm sorry that I'm poor at English.
Thanks.

> > Do you know the retrieval of bit-wise indexing?
> >
> > I cannot find detailed description of algorithm.
> > I look example below in Sybase IQ white paper.
> >
> > e.g.)
> >
> > column     company   sales
> >                ---------------------
> >                 A                 6
> >                 B                 9
> >                 C                 5
> >

> > bit-wise index for sales
> > ->>
> >
> >                 8bit    4bit     2bit   1bit
> >                  0        1         1      0
> >                  1        0         0     1
> >                  0         1        0      1
> >
> > - How does  I retrieve source data using bit-wise index?
> >

> > Please Help.

0
lons
10/7/2003 6:09:15 AM
IQ supports ANSI SQL and all these BW indexes, compression - it's like
"hidden" - you just using IQ like a normal db, and it's all. Just very fast
DB for datawarehouses.

> Originally,
> I wanted to know the internal of Bit-Wise Indexing algorithm.
>
> I did not know the alogorithm is patented.
>

> I'm sorry that I'm poor at English.
> Thanks.

0
Piter

To Index or Not To Index or How To Index
Hello, I was wondering if someone knows a better way to explain how different indexes work. Such as, is it better to have an index with int type or char or varchar etc? Is it better to have composite indexes or indexes with individual columns? How does optimizer handle different indexes and what can we do help it? Indexes are very efficient most of the time but they can be quite detrimental to server's performance, if abused. Perhaps you know of a good article about indexing that you could share with us. Or, perhaps Mr. Rob Verschoor would like to issue an article in his very usefu...

indexes on bit fields
Why can't indexes be created on bit fields? <mike> wrote in message news:5BBFD089FFB13A41007D390A85256B1F.007D392185256B1F@webforums... > Why can't indexes be created on bit fields? Mike, This has been the case for as long as Sybase exists. I don't know why this is though -- I came across this limitation myself a few years ago, when trying to add some indexes to speed up certain queries. Since then I've asked various Sybase engineers, and they all seemed surprised that such a limitation existed, and nobody had an idea why. They mumbled things like 'w...

bit wise operation
s it possible to do a bit wise operation in SQLA? ...

When should we rebuild indexes on IQ
Sybase IQ manuals and Sybase Support indicates that we don't require to rebuild IQ indexes.Many customers do. People that rebuild indexes on IQ can you please provide the criteria that you follow to decide when an index is fragmented it and need to be rebuild Are you using at all the sp_iqindexfragmentation ...

Bit index type
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4d288b82 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit When I click in physical data model "check model" I get powerdesigner error The following error occured while executing a script of custom check "Bit Index Type". RuntimeError Micosoft VB script Variable not defined: "UCaseDttp" (0x800A01F4) At line 144, character 7. physical data model (SQL Anywhere 12) power designer 15.3.0.3248 I found one response about it Add Function UCaseD...

David Brooks Wises Up (A Bit)
the crisis in US conservatism is fascinating. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/opinion/16brooks.html?th&emc=th (logon: helmsthingy/photonic) <quote> Markets tend toward efficiency. People respond in pretty straightforward ways to incentives. The invisible hand forms a spontaneous, dynamic order. Economic behavior can be accurately predicted through elegant models. This view explains a lot, but not the current financial crisis — how so many people could be so stupid, incompetent and self-destructive all at once. The crisis has delivered a blow to classical economic...

index server not indexing
Ok, so I want to add a catalog to the index server. I can add the new catalog, I then add a directory to this catalog. I restart the index server, and merge the index. If I click the index server, in mmc, it shows 0 documents for everything. Everything meaning documents to index, total docs, docs defered for indexing and so on.  I've tried this on vista as well as on win2003 and the same result is obtained, no documents are indexed. In win2003 I can index document, but ONLY the ones in the default catalog, if I paste some documents there they get indexed. So, what have I don...

To Index or not to Index (that is the question...)
I'd like to clear up an assumption I have. If I have a Primary Key Constraint on a Table I assume that I will not need to create an Index on the field(s) of the constraint as the action of creating the primary key constraint produces what is the equivalent of an Index (be the constraint clustered or not). Is this the case? Also I'm looking to Pivot some data, are there any SQL tricks etc. I should be aware of to be able to do this (I've searched the Newsgroups for 'Pivot' but don't understand any of the answers posted - some SQL examples would be gr...

Basic Index question :- nonclusted indexes which are a subset of a clustered index
Can anyone suggest why I would have the following set of indices upon a table: index1 clustered, unique field1,field,field3,fiel4 index2 nonclustered field2,field3, field4 index3 nonclustered field,field2,field4 The table is one into which a lot of inserts are done, so I would have thought that index2 & 3 would be unncessary since they're (1) already in the clustered index and (2) any inserts would triple the amount of index updates that are required... Are these assumptions correct ? Thanks in advance, Steve Hi, if you have a...

64 bit ODBC driver for IQ?
Hi everyone, do anyone know if there is a 64 bit ODBC driver for IQ? Thanks in advance, Jose ...

Bit-wise arithmetic operations with PB
Hi, Does PB support bit-wise (or byte-wise) operations like XOR, AND, OR etc? -- Adnan �enyurt ------------------------------------------------ /* Pilot Bilgisayar Yaz�l�m Hizmetleri Ltd. �ti. B�kl�m Sok. 20/20 K.Dere 06660 Ankara Tel: 0312 4197163 Faks: 0312 4197164 e-posta: copilot@superonline.com ------------------------------------------------ Not directly, but they can be scripted. In fact, they've been scripted in the PFC Numeric service, so you might want to start there. Good luck, Terry [TeamPS] and Sequel the techno-kitten On Thu, 14 May 1998 10:31:17 +...

IQ Crashing when Join Indexes Implemented
We are currently evaluating Sybase Adaptive Server IQ 12.4.0 on NT 4.0 (SP5). After submitting a semi complex query (see below), the IQ server crashes with the following error: asiqsrv12.exe exception: access access violation (0xc0000005), address: 0x00000000 Then, the "Interactive SQL" utility generates this message: error at line 1 communication error The NT Event Viewer shows only one message: "performance counters opened." eventid: 1 source: perfpd type: information We would appreciate any feedback from those who have experienced this error an...

PB missing bit-wise or(||) and and(&&)?
I have set up several "constant long ic_bitpos_1 = 1, _2 = 2, _3 = 4", etc... and need to use them in a comparison against another long int with a cumulative value: Here's the old VB code: Select Case at_Right_Type Case urt_Codes Security_Right = ((ao_Group_Rights.Rights_Codes And at_Right_Mask) <> 0) and the new PB code: choose case ii_bit_position case 1 lb_result = (il_group_value or ic_bitpos_1 <> 0) case 2 lb_result = (il_group_value or ic_bitpos_2 <> 0) case else lb_result = false // be safe...

A bit about WinInet's Index.dat
Found this while searching around for info on index.dat. Found the link in the external links section of the Wikipedia article on index.dat <http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2006/08/04/WinInet_Index_dat.aspx> [quote] Friday, August 04, 2006 3:55 PM by wndpteam A bit about WinInet's Index.dat Since a recent digg article and its underlying Wikipedia entry seems a little confused about index.dat, I�d like to give some more detail about what it is and what we have changed with it in IE7/Vista�s version of WinInet. As Jeffdav explained a while back, the index.dat file i...

Web resources about - What is Bit-Wise Indexing? - sybase.iq

Latent semantic indexing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in the early 1970s, to a contingency table built from word counts in documents. Called Latent Semantic Indexing because of its ability to correlate ...

Under the Hood: Indexing and Ranking in Graph Search - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Indexing and Ranking in Graph Search geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen ...

Bing Indexing Faster? - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
www.seroundtable.com/archives/021690.html

English Google App-Indexing office-hours hangout - YouTube
Join us for a *Google office hours hangout about App Indexing* App Indexing connects your website with your smartphone app, so that the app can ...

Apple confirms its ‘Applebot’ is indexing the web for Siri and Spotlight
... … Siri mostly uses Bing and Wolfram Alpha for its web searches, so one could ask the question why Apple would need to do its own indexing of ...

Trends in Wine: Out-Innovated By Beer, Under-Indexing With Hispanics
Is wine losing its buzz? Lately the category has been out-innovated by brewers, who have flooded the market with new beer flavors, brands and ...

Google Extends App Indexing to iOS
... in Chrome , \"in the coming weeks.\" Wald also offered instructions for developers interested in getting their apps indexed: While app indexing ...

Google's App Indexing speeds up switching to apps from Chrome and Google Search
... in the Google Developers Blog, I yawned. When I read deeper, though, and saw what it can do, I got a bit more excited. Google’s App Indexing ...

Coffee With a Googler: Learn about App Indexing and Search
Posted by Laurence Moroney , Developer Advocate. App Indexing helps you get your mobile app found in Google Search. Once your app is indexed, ...

Re-indexing Magento through the command line
... for a whole host of reasons, for example, if the indexer is timing out or not finishing through the web interface. Magento includes an indexing ...