Import from Excel

Hello,
is it possible to import data from excel into freeform or grid form in
Infomaker?
Or it is possible only in PowerBuilder?
Thanks for the answer.
Ales

0
Ales
12/3/2008 7:50:01 AM
sybase.infomaker.general 4461 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Ales;

    You can do this in the Report Painter but there is no Import "action"
item for a CommandButton otherwise you could create a user application
feature around it! It seems strange that IM does not support any Importation
as we do have a SaveAs action for exporting data. I would like to suggest
that you add this to the IM enhancements located on the ISUG website at:
http://www.isug.com/common/EnhancementsProcess.html

   The only work arounds that I can think of for the moment are:

1) Load the Excel data into a database table and then have IM go after this
via its normal SQL prowess.
- OR -
2) Create an ODBC connection for the Excel file and have IM go after this
via its normal SQL prowess.

HTH

--
Regards ... Chris
ISUG - NA RUG Director

"Ales Novotny" <Ales.Novotny@syabse.cz> wrote in message
> Hello,
> is it possible to import data from excel into freeform or grid form in
> Infomaker?
> Or it is possible only in PowerBuilder?
> Thanks for the answer.
> Ales

0
Chris
12/3/2008 12:47:49 PM
You can use the ImportFile action on a command button.  That gives you txt,
csv, xml import options.

To import from Excel, create a pipeline.  You can add the pipeline to your
executable.  You will need to define an Excel ODBC DSN.  In the spreadsheet
you create a named range, with the first row of the named range containing
the column headers.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
http://casexpress.sybase.com

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ales;
>
>    You can do this in the Report Painter but there is no Import "action"
> item for a CommandButton otherwise you could create a user application
> feature around it! It seems strange that IM does not support any
> Importation as we do have a SaveAs action for exporting data. I would like
> to suggest that you add this to the IM enhancements located on the ISUG
> website at: http://www.isug.com/common/EnhancementsProcess.html
>
>   The only work arounds that I can think of for the moment are:
>
> 1) Load the Excel data into a database table and then have IM go after
> this via its normal SQL prowess.
> - OR -
> 2) Create an ODBC connection for the Excel file and have IM go after this
> via its normal SQL prowess.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Regards ... Chris
> ISUG - NA RUG Director
> http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
>

> "Ales Novotny" <Ales.Novotny@syabse.cz> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> is it possible to import data from excel into freeform or grid form in
>> Infomaker?
>> Or it is possible only in PowerBuilder?
>> Thanks for the answer.
>> Ales

0
Terry
12/3/2008 4:25:20 PM
 Thanks Terry for pointing that we do have this option on a CB within a
Form. I was looking at this only from the Report Painter's perspective - not
the Form Painter which has some more functionality.

"Terry Dykstra [TeamSybase]" <tddykstra@forestoil.ca> wrote in message
> You can use the ImportFile action on a command button.  That gives you
> txt, csv, xml import options.
>
> To import from Excel, create a pipeline.  You can add the pipeline to your
> executable.  You will need to define an Excel ODBC DSN.  In the
> spreadsheet you create a named range, with the first row of the named
> range containing the column headers.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
> http://casexpress.sybase.com
> product enhancement requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Ales;
>>
>>    You can do this in the Report Painter but there is no Import "action"
>> item for a CommandButton otherwise you could create a user application
>> feature around it! It seems strange that IM does not support any
>> Importation as we do have a SaveAs action for exporting data. I would
>> like to suggest that you add this to the IM enhancements located on the
>> ISUG website at: http://www.isug.com/common/EnhancementsProcess.html
>>
>>   The only work arounds that I can think of for the moment are:
>>
>> 1) Load the Excel data into a database table and then have IM go after
>> this via its normal SQL prowess.
>> - OR -
>> 2) Create an ODBC connection for the Excel file and have IM go after this
>> via its normal SQL prowess.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Regards ... Chris
>> ISUG - NA RUG Director
>> http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
>>

>> "Ales Novotny" <Ales.Novotny@syabse.cz> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> is it possible to import data from excel into freeform or grid form in
>>> Infomaker?
>>> Or it is possible only in PowerBuilder?
>>> Thanks for the answer.
>>> Ales

0
Chris
12/3/2008 5:34:40 PM
Thank you for the advices!
Ales

> Thanks Terry for pointing that we do have this option on a CB within a
> Form. I was looking at this only from the Report Painter's perspective -
> not the Form Painter which has some more functionality.
>

> "Terry Dykstra [TeamSybase]" <tddykstra@forestoil.ca> wrote in message
>> You can use the ImportFile action on a command button.  That gives you
>> txt, csv, xml import options.
>>
>> To import from Excel, create a pipeline.  You can add the pipeline to
>> your executable.  You will need to define an Excel ODBC DSN.  In the
>> spreadsheet you create a named range, with the first row of the named
>> range containing the column headers.
>>
>> --
>> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
>> http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
>> http://casexpress.sybase.com
>> product enhancement requests:
>> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>>
>> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Ales;
>>>
>>>    You can do this in the Report Painter but there is no Import "action"
>>> item for a CommandButton otherwise you could create a user application
>>> feature around it! It seems strange that IM does not support any
>>> Importation as we do have a SaveAs action for exporting data. I would
>>> like to suggest that you add this to the IM enhancements located on the
>>> ISUG website at: http://www.isug.com/common/EnhancementsProcess.html
>>>
>>>   The only work arounds that I can think of for the moment are:
>>>
>>> 1) Load the Excel data into a database table and then have IM go after
>>> this via its normal SQL prowess.
>>> - OR -
>>> 2) Create an ODBC connection for the Excel file and have IM go after
>>> this via its normal SQL prowess.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards ... Chris
>>> ISUG - NA RUG Director
>>> http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
>>>

>>> "Ales Novotny" <Ales.Novotny@syabse.cz> wrote in message

0
Ales

Importing Excel into SQL Server 2005 with Import Wizard
I have several spreadsheets given to me which are in Excel 2007 file format. So, I've saved them as Excel 2003. I run the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard in SQL Server 2005 Management Studio from my local PC againist an online 3rd party hosted database. Initially I was getting errors yet the data was imported, so I wasn't too concerned. Now, on one file, only 8 records out of 285 records are imported. Here is the latest error messages extract: Messages * Error 0xc0202009: Data Flow Task: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_OLEDBERROR.  An OLE DB error has occurred. Error co...

importing excel
Hello all, I'm really having a hard time understanding this tutorial.  I'm trying to follow http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/032608-1.aspx tutorials to get my spreadsheet into an existing sql server database.  Here is my code.  I have a spreadsheet with two columns (ReturnDocumentID and ReturnRecordType) and a table in the database with those two columns and an ID column.  I can connect to and bind the data to a gridview with no problems, but when I try to insert it into the database I get errors about my return method or a primary key violation.&nb...

Excel Import
Hi All,   I am trying to, first upload and then import excel spreadsheet into my DB.  Most of it works except that when I run the import only the first 20 item codes are imported.  The rest are blank.  It seems to be something to do with the Item Code itself.  The app imports the items code that are similar to 53074, i.e. all start with 53, but once the item codes change to 003A90002, everything there after is ignored. I have included the ability to view the uploaded Excel Document, but even that does not display the offending item codes,  I have checked th...

Importing Excel
I figured this was already posted but I couldn't find it. I'm developing a web app that allowers the user to upload me a formatted excel file and then I need to transfer the data into a database. For the most I got it all working... upload to excel file, throw the data into a dataset and throw the dataset into my table. Whan I'm having trouble with is the first line of the excel file. For whatever reason it's reading the first line as headers. Is there an easy way around that? Thanks in advance. Before we dive into our sample code, there are a couple of other points to consider. First,...

Excel Import
Do you know of any third-party tools for importing Excel files (xls) via Delphi (2005 and later) ? Ed TSMImport http://www.scalabium.com > Do you know of any third-party tools for importing Excel files (xls) via Delphi (2005 and later) ? Just for curiosity.. Why looking when there are native components in Delphi? Hello Edwin, try Flexcel from TMS Software Bruce > Do you know of any third-party tools for importing Excel files (xls) > via Delphi (2005 and later) ? > > Ed > We used XLSReadWriteII for many years... very fast component http://a...

Import excel
It's easy to import excel by pb. Anyone give me the sample code on import excel by java. Thanks in advance. Check out the POI project (more specifically the HSSF sub section): http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/ The quick guide page has a sample of reading from and writing to a workbook: http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hssf/quick-guide.html Doug Porter DailyAccess Corporation "iris" <irispangtech@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:428a1de5$1@forums-1-dub... > It's easy to import excel by pb. Anyone give me the sample code on import > excel by jav...

import to excel
Hi! How to import my current form data to excel sheet Current form data contains in tabular format presently we are using Response.Contentype="application/vnd.ms-Excel" Response.addHeader("Content-Disposition","inline,filename=ExcelRPT.xls")   Displaying error is File format is not matching but this code is works for gridview format Have you considered using the ReportViewer control with an embedded report? It will handle the Excel export in native Excel. -j-CSK is back! See my blog http://blog.microsoft-j.net for more details. Hi sailajaranit,...

Excel Import
Using PB 8.0.1 How can i read values in an Excel worksheet, and insert it in a datawindow? Anyone have an example of that? Tanks in Advance See Application Techniques OLE chapter for examples. /ck "Pere Pie" <perepie@retemail.es> wrote in message news:dvZk3pyiBHA.375@forums.sybase.com... > Using PB 8.0.1 > > How can i read values in an Excel worksheet, and insert it in a datawindow? > > Anyone have an example of that? > > Tanks in Advance > > Depending how your Excel data is structured, you can use a pipeline. Se...

Import From Excel
Hi: I have an xls file formatted like so: Loc Nbr jan feb mar apr may jun jul aug sep oct           ..... 0000000 9.86 9.85 0 0 0 10.03 9.96 9.94 9.93 9.92         ..... 0000021 9.46 9.58 9.49 9.5 9.7 9.67 9.84 9.67 9.59 9.68         ......  But I changed my table structure to this: Loc Nbr   Month Value 0000021   jan 9.46 0000021   feb 9.58 My goal is to copy the da...

Import from excel
Which is the easiest method to import from excel  to asp.net? Pretty easy:http://davidhayden.com/blog/dave/archive/2006/05/31/2976.aspx Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! Dear Friend, Thanks.I think the language used is C#. I want it in VB.I want to store the data in excel file in a table in sql server database and display it in a Gridview.Please help me.... Thanks   Hi, You can use Convert C# to VB.NET ( http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/) to convert this code to VB.NET version...

Import Excel
Hi! I want to add an 'import from excel' functionality to my app. I have a table with customers and a specific excel that has the new customers which is prepared every week from the accountant. What is the best way to import them into a datawindow (or ultimately in the db table)? I am using WinXP SP2,Powerbuilder 9 and 10, MS SQL Server 2000 SP3a Sorry, my English are poor... Thanx in advance The simplest approach is probably to connect to the Excel file with ODBC. It then looks like a database to PB. If the data can be saved in CSV format, you could also us...

importing from Excel
Dear All, I am importing data from ExCel to a SQl SERver 2000 table.For this I am using this function which reads the data from Excel and inserts it into the SQL 2000 table.    // Create Connection to Excel Workbook            try            {                using (OleDbConnection connection = new OleDbConnection(excelconnectionString))          &n...

Excel Import
Hi all, Any idea of importing properties/ columns from excel to PDM/LDM? Regards, Manoj.V ...

Web resources about - Import from Excel - sybase.infomaker.general

Gaza imports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Import of goods into the Gaza Strip is limited as part of the 2007–present blockade of the Gaza Strip imposed by Israel and Egypt . Israel allows ...

Instagram 4.1 Adds Ability To Import Video, Automatic Straightening
Facebook-owned photo-sharing network Instagram released Instagram 4.1 last week, which added the ability for users to import video from their ...

Oakland Opens the Wallet for Cuban Import
Looks like Billy Beane really is sticking to that Window. After spending the offseason trading away two of the better young starting pitchers ...

Import and Publish YouTube Videos to Your Facebook Page with Cueler YouTube
Cueler is a useful and easy Facebook application that allows Page administrators to automatically synchronize their YouTube videos to their Facebook ...

Export Import Business Group
Here we are, people in the business of export and import from all over the world. I invite you people also to join for more info of the business ...

HelloSign - Scan or Import Documents to Sign for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch ...
Get HelloSign - Scan or Import Documents to Sign on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Secretary Kerry Delivers Remarks at the Export-Import Bank Annual Conference - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry delivers remarks at the Export-Import Bank Annual Conference in Washington, D.C., on April 24, 2014. [State ...

The Kronies: Laughing All The Way to the Export-Import Bank - YouTube
Get Konnected at http://thekronies.com/ In this very special episode of "The Less You Know", Johnny and Bobby learn a valuable lesson about campaign ...

Harper review: Government faces stoush with authors over removal of parallel book imports
... government is set for a fiery showdown with some of Australia's most popular authors over its plan to loosen restrictions on book imports. ...

Ex-customs officer Christopher Cranney jailed for conspiring to import illegal drug precursor
A senior customs officer has been jailed for at least eight-and-a-half years for his role in a major drug importation conspiracy that saw millions ...