Using Jaguar Server without using the host file on the client

Hi,

Help!  I need an example of connecting to Jaguar Server (with Power Builder)
from the clients machine without using the clients host file.  I want to
connect using the Jaguar Driver via DNS or possibly an IP address using
IIOP.  The DNS method seems to initially connect, but gets an error (Error
50 Distributed service error) instantiating a proxy object.  The Winsock
driver method seems to support a lookup using an IP address, but I don't
think we can use it to connect to the Jaguar server.  Using an IP address
fails on the Jaguar Driver,  possibly because its trying to do a DNS lookup
on an IP?  Any suggestions, examples, ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

0
DJG

Dan,

What is the IIOP listener listening on?

What is the DNS name you are using in your connection object?

This often happens when the name server returns a server name ( the
name listener is bound to ) that is different than the name used to
make the connection AND which is not resolvable from the client
machine.  For example...

Jag is listening on "hostname".

Connection object connects to hostname.domainname.com.

Lookup is performed for a component and Jag's name server returns
"hostname" for the location of the component.

"hostname" is not resolvable from the client because it is not fully
qualified.

Distributed service error.

Does this look familiar?

Carson

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
http://www.dyn-data.com

               DDS is now hiring EAServer consultants
            to support its exploding EAServer business!
                       Please submit your resume to
                              hr@dyn-data.com!

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:46:27 -0800, "DJG" <djg@synteleos.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Help!  I need an example of connecting to Jaguar Server (with Power Builder)
>from the clients machine without using the clients host file.  I want to
>connect using the Jaguar Driver via DNS or possibly an IP address using
>IIOP.  The DNS method seems to initially connect, but gets an error (Error
>50 Distributed service error) instantiating a proxy object.  The Winsock
>driver method seems to support a lookup using an IP address, but I don't
>think we can use it to connect to the Jaguar server.  Using an IP address
>fails on the Jaguar Driver,  possibly because its trying to do a DNS lookup
>on an IP?  Any suggestions, examples, ideas would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Dan

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training

               DDS Enterprise Application Framework
                      Available Now as Open Source!
                          http://www.dyn-data.com

0
chager
3/27/2000 8:54:17 PM
Hi Carson
    I am working on this with Dan.
IIOP is listening on Jaguarserver  9000
domain name is synteldev.synteleos.com
connection object has the location property set to iiop://ip address:9000

I changed the name of the listener to synteldev and restarted but the object
still did not get created (distributed service error). we did get connected
though
I have actually tried quite a lot of different things but to no avail.  If
there is no mention of jaguarserver in the hosts file it won't work right
now.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Is this possible (no hosts file with
client app connecting over internet)?

Thanks
Eric Pearson
Synteleos

Carson Hager[Team Sybase] <chager@dyn-data.com> wrote in message
> Dan,
>
> What is the IIOP listener listening on?
>
> What is the DNS name you are using in your connection object?
>
> This often happens when the name server returns a server name ( the
> name listener is bound to ) that is different than the name used to
> make the connection AND which is not resolvable from the client
> machine.  For example...
>
> Jag is listening on "hostname".
>
> Connection object connects to hostname.domainname.com.
>
> Lookup is performed for a component and Jag's name server returns
> "hostname" for the location of the component.
>
> "hostname" is not resolvable from the client because it is not fully
> qualified.
>
> Distributed service error.
>
> Does this look familiar?
>

> Carson

> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
> http://www.dyn-data.com
>
>                DDS is now hiring EAServer consultants
>             to support its exploding EAServer business!
>                        Please submit your resume to
>                               hr@dyn-data.com!
>

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:46:27 -0800, "DJG" <djg@synteleos.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Help!  I need an example of connecting to Jaguar Server (with Power
Builder)
> >from the clients machine without using the clients host file.  I want to
> >connect using the Jaguar Driver via DNS or possibly an IP address using
> >IIOP.  The DNS method seems to initially connect, but gets an error
(Error
> >50 Distributed service error) instantiating a proxy object.  The Winsock
> >driver method seems to support a lookup using an IP address, but I don't
> >think we can use it to connect to the Jaguar server.  Using an IP address
> >fails on the Jaguar Driver,  possibly because its trying to do a DNS
lookup
> >on an IP?  Any suggestions, examples, ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Dan

> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
>
>                DDS Enterprise Application Framework
>                       Available Now as Open Source!
>                           http://www.dyn-data.com

0
Eric
3/27/2000 10:34:54 PM
I took everything out of the hosts file and did the following
from command prompt
nslookup synteldev  -  succeeded
ping synteldev         - succeeded

It also worked for synteldev.synteleos.com

Eric
> [...]
> >> http://www.dyn-data.com
> >>
> >>                DDS is now hiring EAServer consultants
> >>             to support its exploding EAServer business!
> >>                        Please submit your resume to
> >>                               hr@dyn-data.com!

> >Builder)
> >(Error
Winsock
> >lookup

> >> ___________________________________________________________
> >>
> >> Carson Hager
> >> Team Sybase
> >> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> >> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
> >>
> >>                DDS Enterprise Application Framework
> >>                       Available Now as Open Source!
> >>                           http://www.dyn-data.com

> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training

0
Eric
3/27/2000 11:20:35 PM

wrote:

> [...]
>> >driver method seems to support a lookup using an IP address, but I don't
>> >think we can use it to connect to the Jaguar server.  Using an IP address
>> >fails on the Jaguar Driver,  possibly because its trying to do a DNS
>lookup
>> >on an IP?  Any suggestions, examples, ideas would be appreciated.
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >Dan

>> Carson Hager
>> Team Sybase
>> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
>> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
>>
>>                DDS Enterprise Application Framework
>>                       Available Now as Open Source!
>>                           http://www.dyn-data.com

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training

3/27/2000 11:50:36 PM
Synteldev is part of our DNS so that is how I could see it
I did try setting the listener to synteldev.synteleos.com and that did not
work either. I got a cannot create instance (distributed service error)

If I put jaguarserver in the hosts file with the ip it will work (even
though I do not reference it anywhere in the client). I am using the ip to
connect.
I even left the listener set to synteldev.synteleos.com.

It just seems to want - jaguarserver   ipaddress      - in the hosts file.
If it is not there it has not ever worked.

Thanks for all of your feedback
Eric

> [...]
> >>                               hr@dyn-data.com!

> >object
> >connected
> >If
> >with

> >using
> >Winsock
> >don't
> >address
DNS

> >> ___________________________________________________________
> >>
> >> Carson Hager
> >> Team Sybase
> >> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> >> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
> >>
> >>                DDS Enterprise Application Framework
> >>                       Available Now as Open Source!
> >>                           http://www.dyn-data.com

> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training

0
Eric
3/28/2000 1:46:00 AM
Eric Pearson wrote:

> Synteldev is part of our DNS so that is how I could see it
> I did try setting the listener to synteldev.synteleos.com and that did not
> work either. I got a cannot create instance (distributed service error)

How about using the IP address instead of the host name to define
the Jaguar listeners.

> If I put jaguarserver in the hosts file with the ip it will work (even
> though I do not reference it anywhere in the client). I am using the ip to
> connect.
> I even left the listener set to synteldev.synteleos.com.
>
> It just seems to want - jaguarserver   ipaddress      - in the hosts file.
> If it is not there it has not ever worked.
>
> Thanks for all of your feedback
> Eric
>
> Carson Hager[Team Sybase] <chager@dyn-data.com> wrote in message
> > Is there anything in the srv.log file?
> >
> > "synteldev" pinged over the internet from the client?  That's
> > basically impossible unless you had a local ip lookup.  You must be on
> > the same NT network or subnet.
> >
> > Did you try changing the listener to the fully qualified domain -
> > synteldev.synteleos.com?
> >

> > Carson

> > Carson Hager
> > Team Sybase
> > Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> > Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
> > http://www.dyn-data.com
> >
> >                DDS is now hiring EAServer consultants
> >             to support its exploding EAServer business!
> >                        Please submit your resume to
> >                               hr@dyn-data.com!
> >

> > On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:20:35 -0800, "Eric Pearson" <epearson@jps.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I took everything out of the hosts file and did the following
> > >from command prompt
> > >nslookup synteldev  -  succeeded
> > >ping synteldev         - succeeded
> > >
> > >It also worked for synteldev.synteleos.com
> > >
> > >Eric
> > >Carson Hager[Team Sybase] <chager@dyn-data.com> wrote in message

> address:9000

> > >object
> > >connected
> > >If
> right
> file
> > >with

> want
> > >using
> > >Winsock
> > >don't
> > >address
> DNS

> > Carson Hager
> > Team Sybase
> > Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> > Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
> >
> >                DDS Enterprise Application Framework
> >                       Available Now as Open Source!
> >                           http://www.dyn-data.com

Evan Ireland              Sybase EAServer Engineering        eireland@sybase.com
                            Wellington, New Zealand               +64 4 934-5856
0
Evan
3/28/2000 1:57:44 AM
You need to make sure whatever EAS is set to listen to (and restart it after
you change it) is the EXACT same thing clients use in their CreateInstance()
call.

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"Eric Pearson" <epearson@jps.net> wrote in message
> Synteldev is part of our DNS so that is how I could see it
> I did try setting the listener to synteldev.synteleos.com and that did not
> work either. I got a cannot create instance (distributed service error)
>
> If I put jaguarserver in the hosts file with the ip it will work (even
> though I do not reference it anywhere in the client). I am using the ip to
> connect.
> I even left the listener set to synteldev.synteleos.com.
>
> It just seems to want - jaguarserver   ipaddress      - in the hosts file.
> If it is not there it has not ever worked.
>
> Thanks for all of your feedback
> Eric
>
> Carson Hager[Team Sybase] <chager@dyn-data.com> wrote in message
> > Is there anything in the srv.log file?
> >
> > "synteldev" pinged over the internet from the client?  That's
> > basically impossible unless you had a local ip lookup.  You must be on
> > the same NT network or subnet.
> >
> > Did you try changing the listener to the fully qualified domain -
> > synteldev.synteleos.com?
> >

> > Carson

> > Carson Hager
> > Team Sybase
> > Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> > Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
> > http://www.dyn-data.com
> >
> >                DDS is now hiring EAServer consultants
> >             to support its exploding EAServer business!
> >                        Please submit your resume to
> >                               hr@dyn-data.com!
> >

> > On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:20:35 -0800, "Eric Pearson" <epearson@jps.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I took everything out of the hosts file and did the following
> > >from command prompt
> > >nslookup synteldev  -  succeeded
> > >ping synteldev         - succeeded
> > >
> > >It also worked for synteldev.synteleos.com
> > >
> > >Eric
> > >Carson Hager[Team Sybase] <chager@dyn-data.com> wrote in message

> address:9000

> > >object
> > >connected
> > >If
> right
> file
> > >with

Power
> want
> > >using
> > >Winsock
> > >don't
> > >address
> DNS

> > Carson Hager
> > Team Sybase
> > Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> > Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
> >
> >                DDS Enterprise Application Framework
> >                       Available Now as Open Source!
> >                           http://www.dyn-data.com

0
Dave
3/28/2000 2:04:32 AM

wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>> >Thanks
>> >Eric Pearson
>> >Synteleos
>> >

>> >Carson Hager[Team Sybase] <chager@dyn-data.com> wrote in message

>> >Builder)
>using
>> >(Error
>Winsock
>don't
>address
>> >lookup

>> Carson Hager
>> Team Sybase
>> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
>> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
>>
>>                DDS Enterprise Application Framework
>>                       Available Now as Open Source!
>>                           http://www.dyn-data.com

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training

3/28/2000 2:32:43 AM
That's really weird.  Did you verify that the ping to synteldev (
without the hosts file entry ) matched the ip address you are using in
the hosts file?  Maybe the routing is messing something up...

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:46:00 -0800, "Eric Pearson" <epearson@jps.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>> >connected
>> >If
>right
>file
>> >with

>want
>> >using
>> >Winsock
>> >don't
>> >address
>DNS

>> Carson Hager
>> Team Sybase
>> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
>> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
>>
>>                DDS Enterprise Application Framework
>>                       Available Now as Open Source!
>>                           http://www.dyn-data.com

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training

without server side scripting, can we upload a file using client side scripting if destination folder and config file settings are known? is it possible?
without server side scripting, can we upload a file using client side scripting if destination folder and config file settings are known? is it possible? avdp211:without server side scripting, can we upload a file using client side scripting if destination folder and config file settings are known? is it possible? I don't think it is possible.You use the the HTML input file control and when you post the request, on the web server you need to read the data and save it to a file, so there has to be some interaction with the server to handle the post request.  Not possible vi...

Having server name resolve to internal IP without using Windows hosts file
I need each of the computers on the network to be able to resolve the server name to its' IP address. I know that I can go to each workstation and add an entry in the hosts file for the server internal IP address and server name, but that would be a pain. Is there a way to have this information provided for automatically by the DHCP service (DHCPSRVR) running at the server? Server is NW5.1SP6. Clients mostly Win2000 but some WinXP/98. Currently DHCP server is providing primary/secondary DNS (code 6) as the ISP's DNS servers. Thanks James In article ...

Upload multiple files to the server without using File Upload
I want to upload multiple files to the server without using input type file (File Upload). Is there a way to do this. What I want to do is retrieve multiple file paths (paths are displayed in a user control like text boxes) and upload those files to the server as a bunch. I tried to set the value of the File Upload cotrol (using javascript) but it was not succeed since attributes of the File Upload are readonly. (document.getElementById("fileUploadValue").value = "C:\Test.txt") Is there a way to override the values in File Upload control or is there a way to up...

Using VPN client then netware client to access file server
Hi, I have one customer site functioning well. Using Cisco VPN client then login via 4.83 sp2 client. Now when attempting to use above method I receive Tree not found. We have 5.x servers. I don't really understand the advertisement of the tree, SAP or ARP or ? Any comments or suggestions or pointing to documentation would be greatly appreciated. Bruce Childers St OR 503-373-1993x244 bruce.childers@state.or.us > I don't really understand > the advertisement of the tree, SAP or ARP or ? SAP is IPX. ARP is NetBIOS. NetWare uses SLP (mainly) as well as Host...

I created a website on my localhost with three .mdf files using SQL express but now I get an error when I try to host it on my web server without SQL express. need some help on how to change my connec
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred whil...

HI allI have a urgent requirement i want to convert .tiff image to .pdf file Thanks in advance Regards RaviPlease click "mark as answer" if this post helped you. I dont think its possible without doing a lot of code or using third party tools, but if you  are looking for a free tool you can try a combination of http://blog.codebeach.com/2008/02/convert-multipage-tiff-to-pdf-in-net.htmland  http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/Creating_PDF_documents_in.aspx Thanks and RegardsS.K.Vignesh----------------------Do remember to "Mark as answer" for this pos...

Why is the difference between a uploaded file using VB6, ASP.NET and a uploaded file using ASP.NET FileUpload Server Control?
I'm trying to develop Active X file upload component using VB6. Like below list... Thanks for authors( Joseph Z. Xu (jzxu@napercom.com), Mohd Idzuan Alias (iklan2k@yahoo.com)). --Client File upload Program source  Dim WinHttpReq As WinHttp.WinHttpRequestConst HTTPREQUEST_SETCREDENTIALS_FOR_SERVER = 0Const HTTPREQUEST_SETCREDENTIALS_FOR_PROXY = 1Const BOUNDARY = "Xu02=$"Const HEADER = "--Xu02=$"Const FOOTER = "--Xu02=$--" Function UploadFiles(strFileName As Variant, strURL As String, DirPath As String, Optional postVar As String, _   &...

Globalization using Database without using Resource file
1. Can anyone tell me how to Use database for globalization..?2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two techniques..?  Check out this link http://www.west-wind.com/presentations/wwDbResourceProvider/The best I have seen so far. I think this is what need to look at.Cheers Muhammad M. Mosa SolimanSoftware Engineer...

What DNS server is used when using a proxy server?
Hey to all :) When you are using an anonymous proxy-server for the internet what happens with the translation of typed URLs to the IP address? What DNS server is used for the URL translation of the websites you visit? 1. The DNS server of your ISP or 2. the DNS server of the anonymous proxy server? Or in other words, who manages the URL translation for the visited websites: your ISP or the anonymous proxy server? Thanx in advance, Little Admin On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:45:32 +0100, Little Admin <i-do-not-have-email@hotmail.com> wrote: > When you are us...

DateTime::TimeZone::Local uses File::Spec without use
DateTime::TimeZone::Local (from CPAN) is missing: use File::Spec; But later calls File::Spec->splitpath(...), resulting in the error: Can't locate object method "splitpath" via package "File::Spec" at /Library/Perl/DateTime/TimeZone/Local.pm line 44. -John On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, John Siracusa wrote: > DateTime::TimeZone::Local (from CPAN) is missing: > > use File::Spec; > > But later calls File::Spec->splitpath(...), resulting in the error: > > Can't locate object method "splitpath" via package &qu...

Using Using
I have just completed reading a chapter in my book on performance. The books says to speed up performance on your web site you should use the using statement when opening connections. My question is how do you catch errors if you are using this as apposed to a try catch block.thanksBryan  Why would you use it as an alternative to a try/catch statement. Couldn't you just do something like  public void UsingSomeMethod() { try { SomeMethod(); } catch(SomeException e) { /// do something useful }}public void SomeMethod() { using (Something) { ...

Using the server to share files with the clients
Hello everybody! I finally managed to install properly iFolder on a server, and the client on a few computers. Unfortunately, I was suprised to see there is no functionality to upload from the server to the ifolders structure. I need to achieve this because the server I used is also used as a datacenter; I hoping to make the data available to each user directly on their own desktop using the mechanism integrated in the iFolder framework. Obviously, I would like to avoid copying back with ssh or ftp the files to one local client, and forth to the server using iFolder. The simples...

When to use ( and when to use ((?
I'm just not getting it. When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is the space after either or both mandatory? For example, I coded this statement: if (( $_ eq $bad_guys_ip )) { more_stuff_here }; Why the two (( in an if? And why does it seem to not work when I miss the space after the ((? Thanx! Mark me as... /Corn-fused|Dense/ > I'm just not getting it. >=20 > When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is > the space after either or both mandatory? >=20 > For example, I coded this sta...

File from server to client and use it in a my application
Hi, i am new with the mozilla dev. So I am trying to create an application that: 1. read two files in binary form from a Server; 2. pass these two files to a my application in C++, and generate a html page to load in the browser I have read how load an application using Javascript, so I need to know more about saving file sent by the server. These 2 filese are binary so when I have to use readByteArray (reading by the file) and writeByteArray (writing on client file)? Thanks. ...

Web resources about - Using Jaguar Server without using the host file on the client - sybase.easerver

Ted Cruz Is A ‘Nasty Guy,’ Donald Trump Accuses The Senator Of Deceptive Campaign Fundraising
With only two weeks remaining before the Republican caucus, the rivalry between top bets Donald Trump and Ted Cruz becomes more heated, with ...

Critics’ Choice Awards 2016: Watch Amy Schumer’s drunken acceptance speeches
Amy Schumer is not new to comedy by any means, but her career has completely taken off over the past year or so. She's easily one of the hottest ...

'American Pie' singer Don McLean arrested for domestic violence: reports
Don McLean, the author and singer of the enigmatic hit song "American Pie," was arrested Monday for domestic violence in the state of Maine, ...

Linda Perry Apologizes for Slamming Lady Gaga's Oscar Nom
Linda Perry has taken to her Twitter account to apologize for the previous comments she made about Lady Gaga ‘s Oscar nomination. The songwriter ...

WhatsApp Does Away With $0.99 Per Year Fee, Is Now Free to Use
That nominal $0.99 per year fee for WhatsApp is coming to an end, with a blog post from WhatsApp today announcing that over the next month, they ...

Novak Djokovic Claims He Was Offered Big Money to Throw a Match
Novak Djokovic has added more fuel to the tennis match-fixing scandal fire. The world No. 1 player told reporters in Melbourne that he was approached ...

A look at some of Glenn Frey's top songs with the Eagles
LOS ANGELES (AP) — As a founding member of the Eagles, Glenn Frey was responsible for some of the biggest songs of the 1970s. A singer, songwriter ...

Support leg breaks as SpaceX rocket lands on ocean barge
LOS ANGELES (AP) — After successfully delivering a U.S.-European ocean-monitoring satellite into orbit, a Space X rocket made a hard landing ...

Tom Brady Calls Out Julian Edelman for Flexing During Brady's Rushing TD Attempt
Tom Brady took to Facebook to poke some fun at Julian Edelman, who came back to play for the first time since the 9th game of the season. Edelman ...

‘Labyrinth’ Star Toby Froud Recalls David Bowie, Regrets Never Meeting Him As An Adult
Toby Froud may have grown up — a lot — since he was the baby in the stripey pyjamas in the cult classic Labyrinth . The man who became a puppeteer ...