PB Web Migration & Web DataWindow Control

Through review of Sybase white papers and attending the last
PowerBuilder developers conference the recommended route for
migrating a client server PB application to be web based
(without rewriting or using WDK) is to make use of the Web
Data Window Control in conjunction with PowerDynamo and Jaguar.

We are considering migrating our application using these tools.
The application of which I speak is comprised of some 1000
data windows accessing some 200 tables.  Based on my reading
and discussion with Sybase staff at the conference, I am told
that the trick to making this work is to move as much PB script
as possible into NVOs.  So I understand that will be work to
convert code and optimize window performance.

Has anyone undertaken a migration like this?  If so, I would
appreciate feedback on how sucessful this was.  If this is a
reliable migration methodology I like to find a couple
reference cases which would prove this a viable solution.

Thanks,
Brent

ps.  This a repost out an entry I put into powerbuilder.general
     Nov 29.
0
Anonymous

Brent,

I am helping a client on the east coast go through this exercise as we
speak.  Basically, there are no strict metrics that I can provide on how
easy or how hard it will be to accomplish this.  As Dave W. likes to say,
"your mileage will vary"   The biggest issue is:

How non-visual OO is your app today? Having an NVUO that references ANYTHING
visual won't import cleanly into Jaguar.

The only thing you can bring over to Jaguar are you Datawindows and
NON-VISUAL PowerScript.  Many people look for a silver bullet that will
bring along their look and feel, but frankly, everything visual EXCEPT for
the DataWindow will be re-written.  There was a classic exerecise in the
Mastering Datawindows class (it may still be there, I haven't taught a
formal class in years) about a login screen:

Did you

a) use 2 static text controls, 2 single line edit controls, 1 drop down list
box, and 2 command buttons to ask for the user ID, password, and domain

or

b) use 1 DataWindow control that used an external DataWindow to provide the
same information.

Clearly, those apps that used b) can easily migrate that to the Web.  Those
folks with option a) are re-writing everything from scratch.

HTH
--
Jason Weiss
Internet Applications Division

* remove __nospam__ from address to e-mail directly.

<Anonymous@sybase.com> wrote in message
> Through review of Sybase white papers and attending the last
> PowerBuilder developers conference the recommended route for
> migrating a client server PB application to be web based
> (without rewriting or using WDK) is to make use of the Web
> Data Window Control in conjunction with PowerDynamo and Jaguar.
>
> We are considering migrating our application using these tools.
> The application of which I speak is comprised of some 1000
> data windows accessing some 200 tables.  Based on my reading
> and discussion with Sybase staff at the conference, I am told
> that the trick to making this work is to move as much PB script
> as possible into NVOs.  So I understand that will be work to
> convert code and optimize window performance.
>
> Has anyone undertaken a migration like this?  If so, I would
> appreciate feedback on how sucessful this was.  If this is a
> reliable migration methodology I like to find a couple
> reference cases which would prove this a viable solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Brent
>
> ps.  This a repost out an entry I put into powerbuilder.general
>      Nov 29.

0
Jason
12/21/2000 10:46:01 PM
You should visit www.aki.com/viewpoint. This is a toolset for migrating and
implementing robust PowerBuilder applications to/on the web.

Scott/Applied Knowledge, Inc.
0
Anonymous

web web web

Web control in web control

Is web.pb right for my app, nested datawindows and web.pb, display flexibility
1.) The web.pb application that I am putting together requires the following: - Validate User against database based on passed ID and password - Display a selection list of accounts (from database) - Based on user selected accounts, generate 2 SQL reports from database (both reports are nested datawindows and utilize SQL Server 6.5 Stored Procedures) Is the Web.pb solution suited for this? If not, what else should I consider? 2.) Saving the rows of a nested datawindow as an HTML table appears to save the data in the primary datawindow EXCLUDING the data in nested datawindows. ...

Web User Control & web.config
Hi,  I have a Visual studio solution only with web user controls. How must I configure the web.config file for AjaxControlToolkit?  I added this lines to my web.config:<httpHandlers> <remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/> <add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/> <add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false&qu...

Web.pb & Novell Web Server
Hi all! Our company is just starting to dabble into web applications. We've recently (yesterday) installed Novell Web Server 3.1. Now (as proof of concept) I'm trying to migrate the Internet Developer Toolkit tutorial from WebSite (on my local NT4.0) to the Novell. Dose anyone have a nice step-by-step "How to" for this. (i.e., Which ..CFG files need what changes? Which subdirectories does pbcgi050.exe need to go? etc.) Thanks... D. Fletcher ...

web controls and web user control

Use Web Control In a Web Control
Is this possible?I am working with an aspx page that consists of many different web controls.One of the web controls contains search criteria.  One of the criteria is a date range where I am trying to add a popup calendar --> which is another web controlCan I register the popupcaledar control on the questionaire control?  I have tried, but nothing seems to be registered.Any ideas will GREATLY help.Relax and have some Home Brew!Prosecute the Owner - Don't PERSECUTE the Breed!Breed Specific Legislation targets the WRONG end of the LEASH! Without seeing your code we can'...

Web.PB class library, Web.PB examples, WebSite Web server software
The PB 7 "About the Internet Tools" Help mentions "Additional freeware components...available via FTP that you can use to develop Web.PB applications". Does anyone know where these are? (Web.PB class library, Web.PB examples, WebSite Web server software).Thanks. Try: http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001660 On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:44:58 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.web-pb Rich Walz <rich@cse-armerica.com> wrote: >The PB 7 "About the Internet Tools" Help mentions "Additional freeware >components...avail...

Web.PB class library, Web.PB examples, WebSite Web Server software
The PB 7 "About the Internet Tools" Help mentions "Additional freeware components...available via FTP that you can use to develop Web.PB applications". Does anyone know where these are? (Web.PB class library, Web.PB examples, WebSite Web server software). Thanks. ...

Interaction between Web User Control & Web form
Ok, I want to create my first Web User Control which is used for file uploading. It's very simple, consist only of the <asp:FileUpload> and <asp:Button> control. The button has one server side event which is resizing the uploaded image to two different images (stored as byte[] in the cs file). So, my question is how I can send these two arrays of type byte to the Web form where the web user control is inside. I thought it should be possible to write something like this in the Web form:<uc1:FileUploader ID="uploader" runat="server" OnUploaded="recieveImages" />So that means ...

PB 11.5.1 (4011)
Hello Everyone, I am getting a strange error when calling a C# Web Service in PB 11.5.1 (4011). System.OutOfMemoryException When my application starts, I do the following: application global variable n_uploaded_files gnv_uploaded_files open event of application gnv_uploaded_files = CREATE n_uploaded_files n_uploaded_files instance variable s2010_upload_web_service iproxy_webservice SoapConnection iSOAP_connection constructor event of n_uploaded_files isoap_connection = CREATE SoapConnection of_instantiateservice(iproxy_webservice, "s201...

Reusing custom web control in the same web control
Hello, I'm newbie in web development and of course asp.net. I am actually trying to build my first page and I'd like to know if it is possible to make a custom webcontrol that will contain itself. Let's say I want to draw a folder hierarchy in treeview-like structure. I thought I could make a control that will display a folder and if this folder contains subfolders then for each the control will include itself. Is this even possible? What would you suggest me to do to? Thanks in advance. TomTom Hagen http://thagen.dteam.info If the control can have child controls, then I s...

Web resources about - PB Web Migration & Web DataWindow Control - sybase.easerver

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo