Need Help with File Object

Is there a way to use  Dynamo File object methods against files located on a
file server from a Dynamo site on iis4?

I need to determine if a PDF file located on a file server exists. The file
server location is mapped on the IIS server.

I get errorNumber 6 - Permission denied when I try to open one of these
files.

Jerry

0
Jerry

> Is there a way to use  Dynamo File object methods against files located on a
> file server from a Dynamo site on iis4?
>
> I need to determine if a PDF file located on a file server exists. The file
> server location is mapped on the IIS server.
>
> I get errorNumber 6 - Permission denied when I try to open one of these
> files.

I have never been able to get this to work when accessing a network drive
share, due to Windows NT permission issues. But, definitely, you can access
things on the local drives.

I bet there is some way to access network drives if someone really knows NT
file / network permissions. But, the basic complication is that Dynamo runs
as a system user (when using IIS) that has some limits on its access to the
network.

If you do figure this out--please post your solution here.

I worked around this in one case using FTP (i.e., setting up an FTP server
on the separate file server), and an FTP client can now be generated
directly from Dynamo too.

HTH

J a y   F i e n b e r g

       www.simmedia.com

There is no way around this using the File object as it uses NT permissions
and you cannot change the account under which IIS runs.

Carson

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Cynergy Systems, Inc.
Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
http://www.cynergysystems.com

"J a y F i e n b e r g" <jfienberg@N-O--S-P-A-M_simmedia.com> wrote in
message news:B6C0246E.89A6%jfienberg@N-O--S-P-A-M_simmedia.com...
> > Is there a way to use  Dynamo File object methods against files located
on a
> > file server from a Dynamo site on iis4?
> >
> > I need to determine if a PDF file located on a file server exists. The
file
> > server location is mapped on the IIS server.
> >
> > I get errorNumber 6 - Permission denied when I try to open one of these
> > files.
>
> I have never been able to get this to work when accessing a network drive
> share, due to Windows NT permission issues. But, definitely, you can
access
> things on the local drives.
>
> I bet there is some way to access network drives if someone really knows
NT
> file / network permissions. But, the basic complication is that Dynamo
runs
> as a system user (when using IIS) that has some limits on its access to
the
> network.
>
> If you do figure this out--please post your solution here.
>
> I worked around this in one case using FTP (i.e., setting up an FTP server
> on the separate file server), and an FTP client can now be generated
> directly from Dynamo too.
>
> HTH
>

> J a y   F i e n b e r g
>
>        www.simmedia.com

0
Carson
2/26/2001 11:45:22 PM
To qualify, this is under IIS 4.0.  Things might be different with 5.0 but I
seriously doubt it.

"Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" <carson.hager@cynergysystems.com> wrote in
message news:OdjVK3EoAHA.161@forums.sybase.com...
> There is no way around this using the File object as it uses NT
permissions
> and you cannot change the account under which IIS runs.
>

> Carson

> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>

> "J a y F i e n b e r g" <jfienberg@N-O--S-P-A-M_simmedia.com> wrote in
> message news:B6C0246E.89A6%jfienberg@N-O--S-P-A-M_simmedia.com...
> > > Is there a way to use  Dynamo File object methods against files
located
> on a
> > > file server from a Dynamo site on iis4?
> > >
> > > I need to determine if a PDF file located on a file server exists. The
> file
> > > server location is mapped on the IIS server.
> > >
> > > I get errorNumber 6 - Permission denied when I try to open one of
these
> > > files.
> >
> > I have never been able to get this to work when accessing a network
drive
> > share, due to Windows NT permission issues. But, definitely, you can
> access
> > things on the local drives.
> >
> > I bet there is some way to access network drives if someone really knows
> NT
> > file / network permissions. But, the basic complication is that Dynamo
> runs
> > as a system user (when using IIS) that has some limits on its access to
> the
> > network.
> >
> > If you do figure this out--please post your solution here.
> >
> > I worked around this in one case using FTP (i.e., setting up an FTP
server
> > on the separate file server), and an FTP client can now be generated
> > directly from Dynamo too.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> > J a y   F i e n b e r g
> >
> >        www.simmedia.com

0
Carson
2/26/2001 11:53:53 PM
With W2K and IIS 5.0 you can change the account under which IIS runs.

BTW: don't know about Dynamo, but it would be better to write a component
(Servlet) that actually returns a PDF (application/pdf) instead of just
sending a link. That way users won't have troubles with network permissions.

TineQ

"Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" <carson.hager@cynergysystems.com> wrote in
message news:f$GT77EoAHA.199@forums.sybase.com...
> To qualify, this is under IIS 4.0.  Things might be different with 5.0 but
> seriously doubt it.
>

> "Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" <carson.hager@cynergysystems.com> wrote in
> message news:OdjVK3EoAHA.161@forums.sybase.com...
> > There is no way around this using the File object as it uses NT
> permissions
> > and you cannot change the account under which IIS runs.
> >

> > Carson

> > Carson Hager
> > Team Sybase
> > Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> > Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> > http://www.cynergysystems.com
> >

> > "J a y F i e n b e r g" <jfienberg@N-O--S-P-A-M_simmedia.com> wrote in
> > message news:B6C0246E.89A6%jfienberg@N-O--S-P-A-M_simmedia.com...
> located
> > on a

The
> > file

> these
> > >
> > > I have never been able to get this to work when accessing a network
> drive
> > > share, due to Windows NT permission issues. But, definitely, you can
> > access
> > > things on the local drives.
> > >
> > > I bet there is some way to access network drives if someone really
knows
> > NT
> > > file / network permissions. But, the basic complication is that Dynamo
> > runs
> > > as a system user (when using IIS) that has some limits on its access
> > the
> > > network.
> > >
> > > If you do figure this out--please post your solution here.
> > >
> > > I worked around this in one case using FTP (i.e., setting up an FTP
> server
> > > on the separate file server), and an FTP client can now be generated
> > > directly from Dynamo too.

0
Tine
2/27/2001 11:57:56 AM
That's good to know.  Unfortunately, PD has problems doing what you
describe.  It cannot write out a binary stream to the browser.

"Tine Kurent" <tine.kurent@mobitel.si> wrote in message
> With W2K and IIS 5.0 you can change the account under which IIS runs.
>
> BTW: don't know about Dynamo, but it would be better to write a component
> (Servlet) that actually returns a PDF (application/pdf) instead of just
> sending a link. That way users won't have troubles with network
permissions.

> TineQ
>
> "Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" <carson.hager@cynergysystems.com> wrote in
> message news:f$GT77EoAHA.199@forums.sybase.com...
> > To qualify, this is under IIS 4.0.  Things might be different with 5.0
but
> > seriously doubt it.
> >

> > "Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" <carson.hager@cynergysystems.com> wrote in
> > message news:OdjVK3EoAHA.161@forums.sybase.com...
> > > There is no way around this using the File object as it uses NT
> > permissions
> > > and you cannot change the account under which IIS runs.
> > >

> > > Carson
> > >
> > > ___________________________________________________________
> > >
> > > Carson Hager
> > > Team Sybase
> > > Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> > > Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> > > http://www.cynergysystems.com
> > >

> > > "J a y F i e n b e r g" <jfienberg@N-O--S-P-A-M_simmedia.com> wrote in
> > > message news:B6C0246E.89A6%jfienberg@N-O--S-P-A-M_simmedia.com...
> > located
> > > on a

> The
> > > file

> > these

> > drive
> > > access

> knows
> > > NT
Dynamo
> > > runs
> > > the

> > server

0
Carson
2/27/2001 1:36:12 PM
Jaguar to the rescue!!!!

I got around the problem by creating a Jaguar component.

myBool = of_fileexists( as_fname )

This method is simply a proxy to the Powerbuilder [ fileExists() ] method...

Thanks to all for the feedback.
At least now I know that it was IIS and not another one of my senior
moments... :-)

Jerry

"Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" <carson.hager@cynergysystems.com> wrote in
message news:wBbXFHMoAHA.71@forums.sybase.com...