Monitoring client connections to Jaguar CTS

We are developing an application using Powerbuilder 7 clients and
Powerbuilder 7 NVOs running on a Jaguar server.

We would like to write a Jaguar service component to monitor client
connections to the Jaguar server. The purpose of this component is to detect
when a client connection is terminated for an unexpected reason (ie power
failure, fatal exception etc) and clear up any locks that the client has
left in the database.

In distributed powerbuilder I could have used GetServerInfo to get a list of
current connections. Is it possible to do something similar in Jaguar ? I
can see that Jaguar Manager displays this type of information so it suggests
I should be able to get it somehow.

Even better would be an event on the Jaguar server that I could rely upon
executing every time a client connection drops.

Any help much appreciated

Mike Gibbons

0
Mike

Mike,
To monitor client connections, you can use the Jaguar::Monitoring interface.
Java classes for this interface are provided in com.sybase.jaguar.system pkg,
though
I am not sure if this is "supported" or not. Check out
%JAGUAR%/html/ir/Jaguar.html
for the interface docs. BTW, we implemented a service component that does
monitoring of session counts, component activity, db connection cache
activity, etc. There is not much documentation on the system level stuff,
so there was some trial and error involved, (and packet tracing to see what
JagMan
was doing!) but it now works quite well and provides useful output.

Not sure if it will provide what you need, but there is a callback facility for
installing server event handlers, one of which is the disconnect event. However,
if you are using ServerBean you can deallocate (rollbackWork(), release
connection or
connection cache handle, etc) from the deactivate and destroy methods on the
ServerBean interface - if you are not already. This will happen automatically
and also provides a much more scalable design.

Good Luck,
Mike

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:41:05 +0100,
 in powersoft.public.easerver
Mike Gibbons <mikeg@iplbath.com> wrote:
>We are developing an application using Powerbuilder 7 clients and
>Powerbuilder 7 NVOs running on a Jaguar server.
>
>We would like to write a Jaguar service component to monitor client
>connections to the Jaguar server. The purpose of this component is to detect
>when a client connection is terminated for an unexpected reason (ie power
>failure, fatal exception etc) and clear up any locks that the client has
>left in the database.
>
>In distributed powerbuilder I could have used GetServerInfo to get a list of
>current connections. Is it possible to do something similar in Jaguar ? I
>can see that Jaguar Manager displays this type of information so it suggests
>I should be able to get it somehow.
>
>Even better would be an event on the Jaguar server that I could rely upon
>executing every time a client connection drops.
>
>Any help much appreciated
>
>Mike Gibbons

Mike Finn
EDS Tech Infra
Rochester, NY
mfinn-eds@eds.com
0
Mike
8/17/1999 12:55:46 PM
There is no real event which is fired when an IIOP socket is closed by a
client.  The DISCONNECT handler (all the handlers really) work for TDS only.
EAS completely ignores a dropped socket.  We do this because of our failover
support.  In earlier releases a dropped socket used to cause deactivations,
but the addition on failover caused this change in functionalty as of the
2.0 release.

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

Mike Finn wrote in message ...
>Mike,
>To monitor client connections, you can use the Jaguar::Monitoring
interface.
>Java classes for this interface are provided in com.sybase.jaguar.system
pkg,
>though
>I am not sure if this is "supported" or not. Check out
>%JAGUAR%/html/ir/Jaguar.html
>for the interface docs. BTW, we implemented a service component that does
>monitoring of session counts, component activity, db connection cache
>activity, etc. There is not much documentation on the system level stuff,
>so there was some trial and error involved, (and packet tracing to see what
>JagMan
>was doing!) but it now works quite well and provides useful output.
>
>Not sure if it will provide what you need, but there is a callback facility
for
>installing server event handlers, one of which is the disconnect event.
However,
>if you are using ServerBean you can deallocate (rollbackWork(), release
>connection or
>connection cache handle, etc) from the deactivate and destroy methods on
the
>ServerBean interface - if you are not already. This will happen
automatically
>and also provides a much more scalable design.
>
>Good Luck,
>Mike
>

>On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:41:05 +0100,
> in powersoft.public.easerver
>Mike Gibbons <mikeg@iplbath.com> wrote:
>>We are developing an application using Powerbuilder 7 clients and
>>Powerbuilder 7 NVOs running on a Jaguar server.
>>
>>We would like to write a Jaguar service component to monitor client
>>connections to the Jaguar server. The purpose of this component is to
detect
>>when a client connection is terminated for an unexpected reason (ie power
>>failure, fatal exception etc) and clear up any locks that the client has
>>left in the database.
>>
>>In distributed powerbuilder I could have used GetServerInfo to get a list
of
>>current connections. Is it possible to do something similar in Jaguar ? I
>>can see that Jaguar Manager displays this type of information so it
suggests
>>I should be able to get it somehow.
>>
>>Even better would be an event on the Jaguar server that I could rely upon
>>executing every time a client connection drops.
>>
>>Any help much appreciated
>>
>>Mike Gibbons
>>

>Mike Finn
>EDS Tech Infra
>Rochester, NY
>mfinn-eds@eds.com

0
Dave

Connection to Oracle 8i on linux/nt from pb using easerver
Hello ! Any idea for Connection to Oracle 8i on linux/nt from pb using easerver - Jaguar CTS ? which driver to choose, wat is the server string to give, which dll to write ? My direct connection oracle 8i on linux and on nt from pb direct (not thro' easerver ) is working fine ! Pls mail me the details soon ! Thanx inadvance ! Regards, Naimesh Trivedi Please do not cross post. -Hitesh Naimesh Trivedi wrote: > Hello ! > > Any idea for Connection to Oracle 8i on linux/nt from pb using easerver - > Jaguar CTS ? > which driver to ch...

Connection to Oracle 8i on linux/nt from pb using easerver
Hello ! Any idea for Connection to Oracle 8i on linux/nt from pb using easerver - Jaguar CTS ? which driver to choose, wat is the server string to give, which dll to write ? My direct connection oracle 8i on linux and on nt from pb direct (not thro' easerver ) is working fine ! Pls mail me the details soon ! Thanx inadvance ! Regards, Naimesh Trivedi Naimesh, It is same as connecting from PB.Create the connection cache in Jaguar with following properties: tns:server_name driver: Dll Name:oci.dll oci8.x In the PowerBuilder component: SQLCA.DBMS ...

Client Connection Information and Remote Stop Connection in Jaguar
In DBP, the PB functions "GetServerInfo" and "RemoteStopConnection" are used to retrieve client application connection information and to disconnect a client from the server application by the client application with administrative privileges. But in Jaguar, we cannot use these functions to implement the same functionality. For retrieving connection information, we could use the functions "JagGetUserName", "JagGetPeerAddress", and "JadGetPassword". How can I invoke these functions? I want to know which DLL file I should call in the local...

Jaguar CTS connection
Hi, I try to connect Jaguar CTS to SQL Server via ODBC. ODBC connects successfully but then I create Connection Cache on Jaguar server and ping it I've got on log file this message: Jan 31 18:36:25 2001: Unable to allocate the connection structure. Jan 31 18:36:25 2001: cm__odbc_error: SQLError: - 993426502, SQLState: 00000, . Have somebody ideas for me? Thanks for your help, Michael What version of ODBC and what build of EAServer. If you are using ODBC 3.52 or higher you need to have EBF C4 of EAserver 3.5 as a minimum. On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:45:4...

Jaguar CTS client
How to stop Jaguar CTS client ? Purvi Vani wrote: > How to stop Jaguar CTS client ? What do you mean by client? Do you mean the Jag Manager interface or the Jagusr Server? If you mean the server then if you are running as a console close the DOS window if you are running as a service then use the service manager in control panel to stop/start the jag server. a. ...

Connecting to Jaguar CTS
I have installed Jaguar CTS 1.1 for NT on my machine. I looked at the srv.log and things look fine. When I try to access Jaguar using the URL 'http://localhost:8080' from Netscape Navigator 3.01 I get an error saying that "peer has reset connections". I've stuck to the defaults with port 8080 as the HTTP port for Jaguar. Does anybody have any idea as to what could be the problem? Also, is there some other way to "talk" to jaguar, at this point, to see if the server will respond. Try connecting via Jaguar Manager. Connect to port 7878, jagadmin a...

Jaguar CTS 3.0 Prob connecting to oracle via connection cache
Oracle 7.3 Instance TLO1 Alias TLO1 Connection Cache settings Cache Name oracle_tlo1 Description TLO1 - Temp Live Oracle Enable cache by name access No Enable connection sanity check Yes No of connections in cache 10 Service Name <nothing> Database Connection Server TLO1 User com Password xxx Driver ociw32.dll OCI 7.x When I ping the connection it fails with.. Ping of oracle_tlo1 OCI_7 Con...

Connection to Jaguar CTS
I have a Powerbuilder 7.0 client app that uses Jag components. I use connection.connecTotServer() object to make a connection. In a situation where the Jaguar server is not available for whatever reason, it seems like it takes a very long time to figure out that it cannot establish a connection. When there is a valid Jaguar server, it is very fast to connect. I was wondering if there is anything I can do so that this "detection" can be faster? Thanks Nick Yes there are connection options such as retry and time to wait between retries Check the jaguar documentation ...

Connection cache problems with Direct Connect on Jaguar CTS 3.6.1
Hello all, I need to connect to CICS and execute transactions using Jaguar CTS 3.6.1, powerbuilder component and UNIX Sun Solaris 8.0. I've made a connection cache (via Jaguar Manager) using Open Client driver and it seems to work fine, because i can ping it. But, the problem is: When i try to access the connection cache within a powerbuilder 7.0 component using the Direct Connect driver (DBMS property) and specifying the connection cache name in the DBParm property, in NT (Win 2K) the connection cache is not used (Direct Connect bypasses Jaguar), in Solaris 8.0 it says it do...

Connect to Jaguar from client
Can anyone tell how to connect jaguar server from workstation ( Windows 98) ?? I have install Jaguar in Server NT and powersite in Workstation. I want to develop powersite in workstation that connect to Jaguar Server ??? I don't no how to connect it ??? I have tried with Build "HTML Datawindow DTC Page ", when i tried to connect it give error "Communication failure connecting to jaguar server EDISERVER:9000,......." TIA Regards Daniel Fransius Daniel, Could you clarify a couple of things. I'm assuming that you have jaguar installed on an NT S...

Monitor Client Connectivity Problem
In Sybase 12 environment, getting following message when trying to activate monitor client: ON POPUP WINDOW ASE Monitor Client 1 (failure) no connection information available Monitor Server is running. Anyone else encountered this problem? What was you resolution? ...

Monitoring Jaguar Connection Cache
I am trying to use an Open Client Connection for ASE 11.9.2 with a HTML DW. It is working fine but when I opened Jaguar Manager for monitoring the use of the Connection Cache (using the Runtime Monitoring), I see all the values set to 0 and it seems as if Jaguar was not using the Connection Cache for the HTML DW. Do you have any other explanation? What are you specifying for your dbms? itr.dbms = "syj" -- Dean Jones, CPD Professional Team Sybase dean@powerobjects.com PowerTeam, Inc. http://www.powerobjects.com Jon <jzuazoa@nexo.es> wrote in message ...

ODBC Client connecting to Jaguar
I am attempting to create an ODBC Sybase 10 or 11 connection to Jaguar and seem to be having problems. I get an ODBC error saying an error occured but the driver doesn't know what it is. I can connect using native Sybase drivers(to Jaguar) and can connect to a Sybase system 10 database using these ODBC drivers. I need to be able to connect using ODBC because some of the components created would be used by Access and Visual Basic. Anyone have any ideas or gotten it to work?(Jaguar is on Solaris) Thanks Neil Sowers iac151@mhi.iasd.usa.com ...

PB client connect to Jaguar??
Hello all, I'm trying to connect to a Jaguar Server from within PowerBuilder. The whitepaper Jaguar & Powerbuilder at http://www.powersoft.com/products/jaguar/jag_pb.html says it is possible to setup a datasource connection to jaguar. I've done the following: Installed Jaguar on a machine called ws-internettest. Started the server and it runs fine. Edited sql.ini to reflect the machine name (changed localhost to ws-internettest) Installed Jaguar on my local machine (actually this was prior to installing Jaguar on the other machine), so I have the open client soft...

Web resources about - Monitoring client connections to Jaguar CTS - sybase.easerver

Arrest made in connection with California mosque fire
CNN Arrest made in connection with California mosque fire CNN (CNN) A California man was arrested Saturday in connection with a fire at a ...