PowerBuilder to Java Dates

I'm sure that someone has encountered this before:

I deployed an EJB to Jaguar.  It includes a method that has two input
parameters of java.util.Date.  The deployment descriptor in Jaguar
correctly displays this as having two parameters of type java.util.Date.

Now, I go to my PowerBuilder IDE and generate a proxy for my EJB.  The
java.util.Date input parameters have been generated as PowerBuilder BLOB
data types.

So, how do I properly pass the dates needed from my PowerBuilder UI to
my Java EJB method on the Jaguar server?

0
Brad
2/20/2002 11:15:25 PM
sybase.easerver.powerbuilder 3902 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Similar scenario presents itself with java.util.Properties.  PB views it as
a "blob" when you generate proxies.

The most likely scenario is to break the date up and pass in 3 integer
params, day, month, and year, and then assemble in the respective
environments.

--

Jason Weiss
eBusiness Systems Group

"Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> I'm sure that someone has encountered this before:
>
> I deployed an EJB to Jaguar.  It includes a method that has two input
> parameters of java.util.Date.  The deployment descriptor in Jaguar
> correctly displays this as having two parameters of type java.util.Date.
>
> Now, I go to my PowerBuilder IDE and generate a proxy for my EJB.  The
> java.util.Date input parameters have been generated as PowerBuilder BLOB
> data types.
>
> So, how do I properly pass the dates needed from my PowerBuilder UI to
> my Java EJB method on the Jaguar server?

0
Jason
2/21/2002 1:20:20 AM
Well that doesn't sound very efficient.  I need a date plus hour and minute as
a minimum, meaning that I need to pass 5 integer variables instead of 1
date/time variable.  Plus, it becomes far less intuative so I'll have to write
a novel in the documents explaining why.

Is this the only option?  Is there no common CORBA data-type that I can map to?

"Jason Weiss [Sybase]" wrote:

> Similar scenario presents itself with java.util.Properties.  PB views it as
> a "blob" when you generate proxies.
>
> The most likely scenario is to break the date up and pass in 3 integer
> params, day, month, and year, and then assemble in the respective
> environments.
>
> --
>
> Jason Weiss
> eBusiness Systems Group
>
> "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> > I'm sure that someone has encountered this before:
> >
> > I deployed an EJB to Jaguar.  It includes a method that has two input
> > parameters of java.util.Date.  The deployment descriptor in Jaguar
> > correctly displays this as having two parameters of type java.util.Date.
> >
> > Now, I go to my PowerBuilder IDE and generate a proxy for my EJB.  The
> > java.util.Date input parameters have been generated as PowerBuilder BLOB
> > data types.
> >
> > So, how do I properly pass the dates needed from my PowerBuilder UI to
> > my Java EJB method on the Jaguar server?

0
Brad
2/21/2002 3:54:15 PM
Check out the MJD module

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:54:15 -0800, Brad Ashton <brad.ashton@gbrx.com>
wrote:

>Well that doesn't sound very efficient.  I need a date plus hour and minute as
>a minimum, meaning that I need to pass 5 integer variables instead of 1
>date/time variable.  Plus, it becomes far less intuative so I'll have to write
>a novel in the documents explaining why.
>
>Is this the only option?  Is there no common CORBA data-type that I can map to?
>
>"Jason Weiss [Sybase]" wrote:
>
>> Similar scenario presents itself with java.util.Properties.  PB views it as
>> a "blob" when you generate proxies.
>>
>> The most likely scenario is to break the date up and pass in 3 integer
>> params, day, month, and year, and then assemble in the respective
>> environments.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jason Weiss
>> eBusiness Systems Group
>>
>> "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm sure that someone has encountered this before:
>> >
>> > I deployed an EJB to Jaguar.  It includes a method that has two input
>> > parameters of java.util.Date.  The deployment descriptor in Jaguar
>> > correctly displays this as having two parameters of type java.util.Date.
>> >
>> > Now, I go to my PowerBuilder IDE and generate a proxy for my EJB.  The
>> > java.util.Date input parameters have been generated as PowerBuilder BLOB
>> > data types.
>> >
>> > So, how do I properly pass the dates needed from my PowerBuilder UI to
>> > my Java EJB method on the Jaguar server?

0
joneil
2/21/2002 5:29:21 PM
Check out MJD::Timestamp.  It maps to MJD.Timestamp in Java and a DateTime
in PowerBuilder.

Carson

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Cynergy Systems, Inc.
Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
http://www.cynergysystems.com

> Well that doesn't sound very efficient.  I need a date plus hour and
minute as
> a minimum, meaning that I need to pass 5 integer variables instead of 1
> date/time variable.  Plus, it becomes far less intuative so I'll have to
write
> a novel in the documents explaining why.
>
> Is this the only option?  Is there no common CORBA data-type that I can
map to?

> "Jason Weiss [Sybase]" wrote:
>
> > Similar scenario presents itself with java.util.Properties.  PB views it
as
> > a "blob" when you generate proxies.
> >
> > The most likely scenario is to break the date up and pass in 3 integer
> > params, day, month, and year, and then assemble in the respective
> > environments.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Jason Weiss
> > eBusiness Systems Group
> >
> > "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm sure that someone has encountered this before:
> > >
> > > I deployed an EJB to Jaguar.  It includes a method that has two input
> > > parameters of java.util.Date.  The deployment descriptor in Jaguar
> > > correctly displays this as having two parameters of type
java.util.Date.

> > > Now, I go to my PowerBuilder IDE and generate a proxy for my EJB.  The
> > > java.util.Date input parameters have been generated as PowerBuilder
BLOB
> > > data types.
> > >
> > > So, how do I properly pass the dates needed from my PowerBuilder UI to
> > > my Java EJB method on the Jaguar server?

0
Carson
2/21/2002 6:27:33 PM
So, if I change the mapping in Jaguar to MJD::Timestamp, what happens when I
redeploy my EJB?  Does the mapping remain as MJD::Timestamp, or does it revert
back to java.util.Date?

"Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" wrote:

> Check out MJD::Timestamp.  It maps to MJD.Timestamp in Java and a DateTime
> in PowerBuilder.
>
> Carson

> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>
> "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> > Well that doesn't sound very efficient.  I need a date plus hour and
> minute as
> > a minimum, meaning that I need to pass 5 integer variables instead of 1
> > date/time variable.  Plus, it becomes far less intuative so I'll have to
> write
> > a novel in the documents explaining why.
> >
> > Is this the only option?  Is there no common CORBA data-type that I can
> map to?
> >
> > "Jason Weiss [Sybase]" wrote:
> >
> > > Similar scenario presents itself with java.util.Properties.  PB views it
> as
> > > a "blob" when you generate proxies.
> > >
> > > The most likely scenario is to break the date up and pass in 3 integer
> > > params, day, month, and year, and then assemble in the respective
> > > environments.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Jason Weiss
> > > eBusiness Systems Group
> > >
> > > "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message

> java.util.Date.

> BLOB

0
Brad
2/21/2002 10:17:45 PM
So, if I change the mapping in Jaguar to MJD::Timestamp, what happens when I
redeploy my EJB?  Does the mapping remain as MJD::Timestamp, or does it revert
back to java.util.Date?

"Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" wrote:

> Check out MJD::Timestamp.  It maps to MJD.Timestamp in Java and a DateTime
> in PowerBuilder.
>
> Carson

> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>
> "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> > Well that doesn't sound very efficient.  I need a date plus hour and
> minute as
> > a minimum, meaning that I need to pass 5 integer variables instead of 1
> > date/time variable.  Plus, it becomes far less intuative so I'll have to
> write
> > a novel in the documents explaining why.
> >
> > Is this the only option?  Is there no common CORBA data-type that I can
> map to?
> >
> > "Jason Weiss [Sybase]" wrote:
> >
> > > Similar scenario presents itself with java.util.Properties.  PB views it
> as
> > > a "blob" when you generate proxies.
> > >
> > > The most likely scenario is to break the date up and pass in 3 integer
> > > params, day, month, and year, and then assemble in the respective
> > > environments.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Jason Weiss
> > > eBusiness Systems Group
> > >
> > > "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message

> java.util.Date.

> BLOB

0
Brad
2/21/2002 10:18:08 PM
Your EJB interface will need to use an MJD.Timestamp, not a java.util.Date.

> So, if I change the mapping in Jaguar to MJD::Timestamp, what happens when
> redeploy my EJB?  Does the mapping remain as MJD::Timestamp, or does it
revert
> back to java.util.Date?
>
> "Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" wrote:
>
> > Check out MJD::Timestamp.  It maps to MJD.Timestamp in Java and a
DateTime
> > in PowerBuilder.
> >
> > Carson

> > Carson Hager
> > Team Sybase
> > Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> > Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> > http://www.cynergysystems.com
> >
> > "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> > > Well that doesn't sound very efficient.  I need a date plus hour and
> > minute as
> > > a minimum, meaning that I need to pass 5 integer variables instead of
1
> > > date/time variable.  Plus, it becomes far less intuative so I'll have
> > write
> > > a novel in the documents explaining why.
> > >
> > > Is this the only option?  Is there no common CORBA data-type that I
can
> > map to?

> > as

> > java.util.Date.

The
PowerBuilder
> > BLOB

UI to

0
Carson
2/21/2002 10:55:28 PM
So do I then cast this to java.util.Date to work with it within Java?

"Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" wrote:

> Your EJB interface will need to use an MJD.Timestamp, not a java.util.Date.
>
> Carson

> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>
> "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> > So, if I change the mapping in Jaguar to MJD::Timestamp, what happens when
> > redeploy my EJB?  Does the mapping remain as MJD::Timestamp, or does it
> revert
> > back to java.util.Date?
> >
> > "Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" wrote:
> >
> > > Check out MJD::Timestamp.  It maps to MJD.Timestamp in Java and a
> DateTime
> > > in PowerBuilder.
> > >
> > > Carson
> > >
> > > ___________________________________________________________
> > >
> > > Carson Hager
> > > Team Sybase
> > > Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> > > Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> > > http://www.cynergysystems.com
> > >
> > > "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> > > minute as
> 1
> > > write

> can
> > > map to?

> views it
> > > as

> integer

> input
> > > java.util.Date.

> The
> PowerBuilder
> > > BLOB

> UI to

0
Brad
2/21/2002 11:21:10 PM
There are utility classes in com.sybase.CORBA.jdbc11.SQL/IDL packages to
convert back and forth to java.sql.Date.

> So do I then cast this to java.util.Date to work with it within Java?
>
> "Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" wrote:
>
> > Your EJB interface will need to use an MJD.Timestamp, not a
java.util.Date.

> > Carson

> > Carson Hager
> > Team Sybase
> > Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> > Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> > http://www.cynergysystems.com
> >
> > "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> > > So, if I change the mapping in Jaguar to MJD::Timestamp, what happens
when
> > > redeploy my EJB?  Does the mapping remain as MJD::Timestamp, or does
it
> > revert
> > > back to java.util.Date?

> > DateTime

> > 1

> > can

> > views it

> > integer

> > input
Jaguar

EJB.
> > The
> > PowerBuilder

PowerBuilder
> > UI to

0
Carson
2/21/2002 11:41:20 PM
And so do I then cast the java.sql.Date to a java.util.Date?

"Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" wrote:

> There are utility classes in com.sybase.CORBA.jdbc11.SQL/IDL packages to
> convert back and forth to java.sql.Date.
>
> Carson

> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>
> "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> > So do I then cast this to java.util.Date to work with it within Java?
> >
> > "Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" wrote:
> >
> > > Your EJB interface will need to use an MJD.Timestamp, not a
> java.util.Date.
> > >
> > > Carson
> > >
> > > ___________________________________________________________
> > >
> > > Carson Hager
> > > Team Sybase
> > > Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> > > Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> > > http://www.cynergysystems.com
> > >
> > > "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> when
> it
> > > revert

> > > DateTime

> and
> of
> > > 1
> have

> > > can

> > > views it

> > > integer
> respective

> two
> > > input
> Jaguar

> EJB.
> > > The
> > > PowerBuilder

> PowerBuilder
> > > UI to

0
Brad
2/22/2002 12:24:58 AM
java.sql.Date already extends java.util.Date by definition -- no need for a
cast.

--
<hopethishelps/>
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

> And so do I then cast the java.sql.Date to a java.util.Date?
>
> "Carson Hager [Team Sybase]" wrote:
>
> > There are utility classes in com.sybase.CORBA.jdbc11.SQL/IDL packages to
> > convert back and forth to java.sql.Date.
> >
> > Carson

> > Carson Hager
> > Team Sybase
> > Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> > Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
> > http://www.cynergysystems.com
> >
> > "Brad Ashton" <brad.ashton@gbrx.com> wrote in message
> > > So do I then cast this to java.util.Date to work with it within Java?

> > java.util.Date.

> > when
> > it

> > and