Powerbuilder components use only one connection of 50 conn connection cache

Hi all,

I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar.

I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this
forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough.

I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the backend.
Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server
reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports
that only one session is active from the Jaguar server.
Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested
this from 2 machines there was still only one session. The same when I
tried calls to different components.

This means that when I get a full load, about 50-100 sessions, these are
all served with only one connection.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this?
It's about to go in production (delay 1 month) so I could really use some
help!

technical details are at the bottom

Thanks in advance,

Frank van den Thillart

Technical info:
I use EAServer 3.5 C3 where Jaguar runs as a web- and applicationserver with
Powerdynamo as the Web extension. The PB components have the instance
properties concurrent and bind thread on and the rest off. Only data-aware
components require transactions. The database is Oracle 8i and I use native
OCI 8.0 connection

The connectionstring I use is
"UseContextObject='Yes',CacheName='CC_FEPDB_OCI'"

The component property 'com.sybase.jaguar.component.thread.safe' is set to
TRUE.

The calls are generated with 2 client machines and one browser per component
call. So with 60 calls I have 30 browsers running on each client. I'd expect
these calls to be asynchronous and that more than one connection is used!

0
Frank
7/20/2001 6:06:51 AM
sybase.easerver.powerbuilder 3902 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Are you using connection caching?
What are the properties of the component ( pooling, concurrency, auto
demarcation etc. )
Do you get any information in the server log.

A.

--
__________________________

Adam Simmonds [TeamSybase]
System Architect
ITS FLEXSIS PROJECT
The University of Sydney
Phone:  +61 2 9351 5174
Mobile: +61 403 341 474
Fax:    +61 2 9351 7711
0
Adam
7/20/2001 8:37:47 AM
Use the Jaguar Manager to check if the Property "Concurrency" of the
Component is turned on.
If "Concurrency" is turned of only one instance of the component ist
instatiated at a time, and so only one connection-cache is used.

Regards
Andreas Bruckner

"Frank van den Thillart" <fvdthillart@wanadoo.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar.
>
> I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this
> forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough.
>
> I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the
backend.
> Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server
> reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports
> that only one session is active from the Jaguar server.
> Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested
> this from 2 machines there was still only one session. The same when I
> tried calls to different components.
>
> This means that when I get a full load, about 50-100 sessions, these are
> all served with only one connection.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this?
> It's about to go in production (delay 1 month) so I could really use some
> help!
>
> technical details are at the bottom
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Frank van den Thillart
>
> Technical info:
> I use EAServer 3.5 C3 where Jaguar runs as a web- and applicationserver
with
> Powerdynamo as the Web extension. The PB components have the instance
> properties concurrent and bind thread on and the rest off. Only data-aware
> components require transactions. The database is Oracle 8i and I use
native
> OCI 8.0 connection
>
> The connectionstring I use is
> "UseContextObject='Yes',CacheName='CC_FEPDB_OCI'"
>
> The component property 'com.sybase.jaguar.component.thread.safe' is set to
> TRUE.
>
> The calls are generated with 2 client machines and one browser per
component
> call. So with 60 calls I have 30 browsers running on each client. I'd
expect
> these calls to be asynchronous and that more than one connection is used!

0
Andreas
7/23/2001 1:38:04 PM
The components properties concurrency is on and the threadsafe property is
on

"Andreas Bruckner" <andreas.bruckner@i-one.at> schreef in bericht
> Use the Jaguar Manager to check if the Property "Concurrency" of the
> Component is turned on.
> If "Concurrency" is turned of only one instance of the component ist
> instatiated at a time, and so only one connection-cache is used.
>
> Regards
> Andreas Bruckner
>
> "Frank van den Thillart" <fvdthillart@wanadoo.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar.
> >
> > I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this
> > forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough.
> >
> > I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the
> backend.
> > Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server
> > reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it
reports
> > that only one session is active from the Jaguar server.
> > Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested
> > this from 2 machines there was still only one session. The same when I
> > tried calls to different components.
> >
> > This means that when I get a full load, about 50-100 sessions, these are
> > all served with only one connection.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this?
> > It's about to go in production (delay 1 month) so I could really use
some
> > help!
> >
> > technical details are at the bottom
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Frank van den Thillart
> >
> > Technical info:
> > I use EAServer 3.5 C3 where Jaguar runs as a web- and applicationserver
> with
> > Powerdynamo as the Web extension. The PB components have the instance
> > properties concurrent and bind thread on and the rest off. Only
data-aware
> > components require transactions. The database is Oracle 8i and I use
> native
> > OCI 8.0 connection
> >
> > The connectionstring I use is
> > "UseContextObject='Yes',CacheName='CC_FEPDB_OCI'"
> >
> > The component property 'com.sybase.jaguar.component.thread.safe' is set
> > TRUE.
> >
> > The calls are generated with 2 client machines and one browser per
> component
> > call. So with 60 calls I have 30 browsers running on each client. I'd
> expect
> > these calls to be asynchronous and that more than one connection is
used!

0
Frank
7/30/2001 8:52:48 AM
-Threadsafe wont have any effect on the number of instances that can be
created.
-Concurrency will allow for multiple instances of the same component.

Have you made sure the 'shared' property is not turned on? This will
allow only one instance that remains active at all times.

When you execute some load do you see more than one instance of the
component using the Runtime Monitoring? You should see 2 or more
instances active if this component is working correctly.

Have you made sure the code to get a connection cache is working
correctly? Maybe writing to the log will help here.

Another option could be to create a new component and make sure it only
has auto-demarcation, concurrency and instance pooling set. Place a
dummy method like load() and connect to the database using a connection
cache, retrieve a large amount of data into a datastore, destroy the
datastore and then disconnect. Deploy it and apply some load from a
client app. This simple approach may help to highlight where your real
component is not working.

Not sure what else I can add.. maybe others can suggest some more ways
of approaching this.

--

Adam Simmonds [TeamSybase]
System Architect