Install order and PowerBuilder VM installation

Three questions:
1.) When I install the PB EBFs does that also upgrade the PBVM that EAServer
uses?  What about the reverse?  If I install the PB 7 and PB 8 support in
EAServer, does the install upgrade the VM that PB uses

2.) If not, what should the order of installation be for PowerBuilder 7.0.3,
PowerBuilder 8.0.1, and EAServer 4.1.1.

3.) What about PowerBuilder 8.0.2?  Can I safely install this update with
EAServer 4.1.1?

0
Nathan
6/17/2002 3:43:06 PM
sybase.easerver.powerbuilder 3902 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi!

>1.) When I install the PB EBFs does that also upgrade the PBVM that EAServer
>uses?  What about the reverse?  If I install the PB 7 and PB 8 support in
>EAServer, does the install upgrade the VM that PB uses

The files which are upgraded are in the shared directory. PB and EAServer use
the same files. So everytime you install an update (or downgrade) you overwrite
these files and upgrade (or downgrade) both of them.

>2.) If not, what should the order of installation be for PowerBuilder 7.0.3,
>PowerBuilder 8.0.1, and EAServer 4.1.1.

I would install PB first (7 and 8, or 8 and 7) and than EAServer 4.1.1, but
there is a PB update for EAServer 4.1.1 on the Sybase download page.

>3.) What about PowerBuilder 8.0.2?  Can I safely install this update with
>EAServer 4.1.1?

If you read the readme you can see:

This version of PowerBuilder has been tested with the following
products:

   Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0 (Build 2065)
   EAServer 3.6.1 ESD 4 (Build 36114) and EAServer 4.1.1 (Build 41104)
   PowerDynamo 3.6 and 3.6.1

Berndt
http://www.bhitcon.net
0
Berndt
6/18/2002 6:32:59 AM
you are wrong on this one berndt. the powerbuilder runtime that easerver
uses is in %JAGUAR%/Shared/Powerbuilder, whereas the regular runtime is in
the Sybase/Shared/Powerbuilder directory (with a standard install, but still
*never* the same as %JAGUAR%/Shared/Powerbuilder)

easerver uses the version of pb runtime without visual objects, windows etc,
while pb for windows uses the fullblown version, therefore the runtime dlls
*have* to be in different directories.

in my experience you have to install powerbuilder first, since installing it
after easerver screws up your path and classpath, whic breaks easerver, with
the sideeffect of breaking the easerver uninstaller ( which is written in
java and is very delicate about the classpath) Whoever came up with the idea
of writing the installer in java should be ordered to walk every frustrated
user through a manual all-that-is-sybase uninstall, which is required to
have another go at installing everything in the correct order.

im sorry i cant recall the exact correct order for the install, since i
prefer not to remember that day of my life.

good luck =]

pavel

"Berndt Hamboeck" <bhamboec@gmx.at> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> >1.) When I install the PB EBFs does that also upgrade the PBVM that
EAServer
> >uses?  What about the reverse?  If I install the PB 7 and PB 8 support in
> >EAServer, does the install upgrade the VM that PB uses
>
> The files which are upgraded are in the shared directory. PB and EAServer
use
> the same files. So everytime you install an update (or downgrade) you
overwrite
> these files and upgrade (or downgrade) both of them.
>

> >2.) If not, what should the order of installation be for PowerBuilder
7.0.3,
> >PowerBuilder 8.0.1, and EAServer 4.1.1.
>
> I would install PB first (7 and 8, or 8 and 7) and than EAServer 4.1.1,
but
> there is a PB update for EAServer 4.1.1 on the Sybase download page.
>

> >3.) What about PowerBuilder 8.0.2?  Can I safely install this update with
> >EAServer 4.1.1?
>
> If you read the readme you can see:
>
> This version of PowerBuilder has been tested with the following
> products:
>
>    Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0 (Build 2065)
>    EAServer 3.6.1 ESD 4 (Build 36114) and EAServer 4.1.1 (Build 41104)
>    PowerDynamo 3.6 and 3.6.1
>
> Berndt
> http://www.bhitcon.net

0
Pavel
6/18/2002 10:58:37 PM
AFAIK, that's only if you use the EAServer installer and check support for PB
7.03 and/or 8.01.

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:58:37 -0400,
 in sybase.public.easerver.powerbuilder
Pavel Galynin <rusko at directvinternet.com> wrote:
>you are wrong on this one berndt. the powerbuilder runtime that easerver
>uses is in %JAGUAR%/Shared/Powerbuilder, whereas the regular runtime is in
>the Sybase/Shared/Powerbuilder directory (with a standard install, but still
>*never* the same as %JAGUAR%/Shared/Powerbuilder)

Berndt
http://www.bhitcon.net
0
Berndt
6/19/2002 6:54:44 AM
I beg to differ here... There is one and only one PBVM and it can be
used within EAServer or in a full-blown GUI environment.

I don't doubt that you might have various versions of the PBVM in
various places, but the only one that matters for EAServer is the one
loaded by the jagsrv.exe process, wherever that might be!

 On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:58:37 -0400, "Pavel Galynin" <rusko at
directvinternet.com> wrote:

>you are wrong on this one berndt. the powerbuilder runtime that easerver
>uses is in %JAGUAR%/Shared/Powerbuilder, whereas the regular runtime is in
>the Sybase/Shared/Powerbuilder directory (with a standard install, but still
>*never* the same as %JAGUAR%/Shared/Powerbuilder)
>
>easerver uses the version of pb runtime without visual objects, windows etc,
>while pb for windows uses the fullblown version, therefore the runtime dlls
>*have* to be in different directories.
>
>in my experience you have to install powerbuilder first, since installing it
>after easerver screws up your path and classpath, whic breaks easerver, with
>the sideeffect of breaking the easerver uninstaller ( which is written in
>java and is very delicate about the classpath) Whoever came up with the idea
>of writing the installer in java should be ordered to walk every frustrated
>user through a manual all-that-is-sybase uninstall, which is required to
>have another go at installing everything in the correct order.
>
>im sorry i cant recall the exact correct order for the install, since i
>prefer not to remember that day of my life.
>
>good luck =]
>
>pavel
>
>"Berndt Hamboeck" <bhamboec@gmx.at> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> >1.) When I install the PB EBFs does that also upgrade the PBVM that
>EAServer
>> >uses?  What about the reverse?  If I install the PB 7 and PB 8 support in
>> >EAServer, does the install upgrade the VM that PB uses
>>
>> The files which are upgraded are in the shared directory. PB and EAServer
>use
>> the same files. So everytime you install an update (or downgrade) you
>overwrite
>> these files and upgrade (or downgrade) both of them.
>>

>> >2.) If not, what should the order of installation be for PowerBuilder
>7.0.3,
>> >PowerBuilder 8.0.1, and EAServer 4.1.1.
>>
>> I would install PB first (7 and 8, or 8 and 7) and than EAServer 4.1.1,
>but
>> there is a PB update for EAServer 4.1.1 on the Sybase download page.
>>

>> >3.) What about PowerBuilder 8.0.2?  Can I safely install this update with
>> >EAServer 4.1.1?
>>
>> If you read the readme you can see:
>>
>> This version of PowerBuilder has been tested with the following
>> products:
>>
>>    Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0 (Build 2065)
>>    EAServer 3.6.1 ESD 4 (Build 36114) and EAServer 4.1.1 (Build 41104)
>>    PowerDynamo 3.6 and 3.6.1
>>
>> Berndt
>> http://www.bhitcon.net

0
joneil
6/19/2002 1:32:41 PM
very polite ;)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:32:41 GMT,
Jim O'Neil [Sybase] <joneil@sybase.com> wrote:
>I beg to differ here... There is one and only one PBVM and it can be
>used within EAServer or in a full-blown GUI environment.
>
>I don't doubt that you might have various versions of the PBVM in
>various places, but the only one that matters for EAServer is the one
>loaded by the jagsrv.exe process, wherever that might be!

Berndt
http://www.bhitcon.net
0
Berndt
6/19/2002 1:53:34 PM
hmmm,

i could have sworn i saw something to the effect 'you cannot use windows,
visual user objects etc in easerver because the pbvm used has these features
removed'. i also remember reading about a *nix version of pbvm with these
features removed.

seems i was wrong
(..seeks help in removing foot from mouth)

pavel

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> I beg to differ here... There is one and only one PBVM and it can be
> used within EAServer or in a full-blown GUI environment.
>
> I don't doubt that you might have various versions of the PBVM in
> various places, but the only one that matters for EAServer is the one
> loaded by the jagsrv.exe process, wherever that might be!
>
>  On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:58:37 -0400, "Pavel Galynin" <rusko at
> directvinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >you are wrong on this one berndt. the powerbuilder runtime that easerver
> >uses is in %JAGUAR%/Shared/Powerbuilder, whereas the regular runtime is
in
> >the Sybase/Shared/Powerbuilder directory (with a standard install, but
still
> >*never* the same as %JAGUAR%/Shared/Powerbuilder)
> >
> >easerver uses the version of pb runtime without visual objects, windows
etc,
> >while pb for windows uses the fullblown version, therefore the runtime
dlls
> >*have* to be in different directories.
> >
> >in my experience you have to install powerbuilder first, since installing
it
> >after easerver screws up your path and classpath, whic breaks easerver,
with
> >the sideeffect of breaking the easerver uninstaller ( which is written in
> >java and is very delicate about the classpath) Whoever came up with the
idea
> >of writing the installer in java should be ordered to walk every
frustrated
> >user through a manual all-that-is-sybase uninstall, which is required to
> >have another go at installing everything in the correct order.
> >
> >im sorry i cant recall the exact correct order for the install, since i
> >prefer not to remember that day of my life.
> >
> >good luck =]
> >
> >pavel
> >
> >"Berndt Hamboeck" <bhamboec@gmx.at> wrote in message
> >> Hi!

> >EAServer
> >>
> >> The files which are upgraded are in the shared directory. PB and
EAServer
> >use
> >> the same files. So everytime you install an update (or downgrade) you
> >overwrite
> >> these files and upgrade (or downgrade) both of them.

> >7.0.3,
> >>
> >> I would install PB first (7 and 8, or 8 and 7) and than EAServer 4.1.1,
> >but
> >> there is a PB update for EAServer 4.1.1 on the Sybase download page.

> >> If you read the readme you can see:
> >>
> >> This version of PowerBuilder has been tested with the following
> >> products:
> >>
> >>    Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0 (Build 2065)
> >>    EAServer 3.6.1 ESD 4 (Build 36114) and EAServer 4.1.1 (Build 41104)
> >>    PowerDynamo 3.6 and 3.6.1
> >>
> >> Berndt
> >> http://www.bhitcon.net

0
Pavel
6/20/2002 11:25:33 PM
Hi Pavel,

The truth is just between ;)

By installing PB you get ALL dlls which are available for PB/PB Apps.
If you install just PB support (from the EAServer CD) you might (I used it only
once a long time ago) get only (the needed) a subset of these dlls.

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:25:33 -0400,
 in sybase.public.easerver.powerbuilder
Pavel Galynin <rusko at directvinternet.com> wrote:
>hmmm,
>
>i could have sworn i saw something to the effect 'you cannot use windows,
>visual user objects etc in easerver because the pbvm used has these features
>removed'. i also remember reading about a *nix version of pbvm with these
>features removed.
>
>seems i was wrong
>(..seeks help in removing foot from mouth)
>
>pavel

Berndt
http://www.bhitcon.net
0
Berndt
6/21/2002 6:36:01 AM
Well, you are correct that you can't use Windows and other GUI stuff
(if you did/could they'd all be displayed on the server machine
anyway!) but the VM is the same one you'd use in a client server app.
The Unix VM is a tad different because there is no visual environment
on a Unix box for PowerBuilder.  So essentially the 'spirit' of your
comment was right on, I just didn't want people to think there were
two separate versions of the PBVM DLL out there.

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:25:33 -0400, "Pavel Galynin" <rusko at
directvinternet.com> wrote:

>hmmm,
>
>i could have sworn i saw something to the effect 'you cannot use windows,
>visual user objects etc in easerver because the pbvm used has these features
>removed'. i also remember reading about a *nix version of pbvm with these
>features removed.
>
>seems i was wrong
>(..seeks help in removing foot from mouth)
>
>pavel
>
>"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> I beg to differ here... There is one and only one PBVM and it can be
>> used within EAServer or in a full-blown GUI environment.
>>
>> I don't doubt that you might have various versions of the PBVM in
>> various places, but the only one that matters for EAServer is the one
>> loaded by the jagsrv.exe process, wherever that might be!
>>
>>  On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:58:37 -0400, "Pavel Galynin" <rusko at
>> directvinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> >you are wrong on this one berndt. the powerbuilder runtime that easerver
>> >uses is in %JAGUAR%/Shared/Powerbuilder, whereas the regular runtime is
>in
>> >the Sybase/Shared/Powerbuilder directory (with a standard install, but
>still
>> >*never* the same as %JAGUAR%/Shared/Powerbuilder)
>> >
>> >easerver uses the version of pb runtime without visual objects, windows
>etc,
>> >while pb for windows uses the fullblown version, therefore the runtime
>dlls
>> >*have* to be in different directories.
>> >
>> >in my experience you have to install powerbuilder first, since installing
>it
>> >after easerver screws up your path and classpath, whic breaks easerver,
>with
>> >the sideeffect of breaking the easerver uninstaller ( which is written in
>> >java and is very delicate about the classpath) Whoever came up with the
>idea
>> >of writing the installer in java should be ordered to walk every
>frustrated
>> >user through a manual all-that-is-sybase uninstall, which is required to
>> >have another go at installing everything in the correct order.
>> >
>> >im sorry i cant recall the exact correct order for the install, since i
>> >prefer not to remember that day of my life.
>> >
>> >good luck =]
>> >
>> >pavel
>> >
>> >"Berndt Hamboeck" <bhamboec@gmx.at> wrote in message

>> >EAServer
>in

>EAServer
>> >use
>> >overwrite

>> >7.0.3,

>> >but

>with

0
joneil
6/21/2002 1:37:59 PM
jim,

--snip--
> The Unix VM is a tad different because there is no visual environment
> on a Unix box for PowerBuilder.  So essentially the 'spirit' of your
> comment was right on, I just didn't want people to think there were
> two separate versions of the PBVM DLL out there.

i remember around pb5 they were using Wind/U to provide the visuals for pb
apps. is this no longer available?

pavel

0
Pavel
6/21/2002 8:49:03 PM
Well, the PBVM is now considered 'win-free' so Wind/U is not really
part of the product anymore and not needed since there is no need for
visuals on the Unix platform (since PB 6.5) since the full PB product
has been discontinued on those platforms.

For the purists out there, this isn't 100% accurate because some of
the Wind/U stuff is still there to support the upcoming printing
capability within the PBVM on Solaris.

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:49:03 -0400, "Pavel Galynin" <rusko at
directvinternet.com> wrote:

>jim,
>
>--snip--
>> The Unix VM is a tad different because there is no visual environment
>> on a Unix box for PowerBuilder.  So essentially the 'spirit' of your
>> comment was right on, I just didn't want people to think there were
>> two separate versions of the PBVM DLL out there.
>
>i remember around pb5 they were using Wind/U to provide the visuals for pb
>apps. is this no longer available?
>
>pavel

0
joneil

EAserver and Powerbuilder installation
Hi Friends, EAserver and Powerbuilder which one need to be installed first. I found that if I install EAserver first and then Powerbuilder and when I start the Jaguar, Jagaur is starting and display 'Accepting Connections' fast. If I install Powerbuilder first and then EAserver, Jaguar is taking long time to start and display 'Accepting Connections' As it is therefore which one is the right method and what are the pros and cons. TIA RAO ...

To install or not to install?

Installation of Powerbuilder
Hello. I believe my problem should not be listed here but couldn't find a newsgroup that fit my problem. Yesterday, I installed PB 7 and PB 8. Subsequently I used PB 8. Today, I needed to use programs running on PB 7. Since my PB oracle connection has not been configured, I had to re-install the oracle connections. But I couldn't. So thinking that perhaps this had to do with my PB 8, i uninstall (using the add/remove from control panel) both PB 7 and PB 8. Now i tried installing PB 7. But the problem is, the cd kept sayinging that it has installed the enterprise softw...

PowerBuilder 10.5 crashes after EAServer installation
Hello everyone, After installation of PowerBuilder 10.5 ENT on a "clean" WinXP everything works fine (Toshiba Satellite, Intel Core-2 Duo), but as soon as I install EAServer 5.3.0, everytime I try to open a 4GL Page in design mode under PB I get runtime error that application has to be closed in an unussual way. Probalby this is a machine compatibility issue because after I do the same things on my second laptop everything is fine. Thanks for any help, Regards, Thomas Brzozowski Hi, Is the error like this? -------------------------------------------...

Installing PowerBuilder 8 and EAServer on Win 2000
I am having trouble installing PowerBuilder 8 and EAServer (CTS 3.6.1) on Win 2000. When I open Sybase Central (Java version) the Jaguar Manager plugin is not available and I can't work out why or how to register it by another method. I can start Jaguar CTS fine. Hi! Couldn't you upgrade to the newest version? 3.6.1 is a bit old... If I remember it you have to choose the following classes (register plugins) %JAGUAR%\html\classes\GuiPlugIns\com\sybase\jaguar\management\scp\JaguarProv ider\JaguarProvider.class %JAGUAR%\html\classes\GuiPlugIns\com\sybase\jaguar\m...

Installing Powerbuilder on x64
has anyone successfully installed PB10 on a x86 machine? I got myself a new toy to play with at home (a dual xeon x64) and am trying to install PB 10. I installed teh 64 bit developer edition of ASA successfully but the PB install seems to be running forever. Any pointers? Mark Sorry I typed x86 (by old habit) I meant x64. "Mark" <nobody@nowhere.nowhere.com> wrote in message news:42cc8bb5@forums-2-dub... > has anyone successfully installed PB10 on a x86 machine? I got myself a > new toy to play with at home (a dual xeon x64) and am trying to inst...

Problem installing PowerBuilder
Hi I installed powerbuilder 9 in a windows XP machine and then the 7236 patch. I noticed that the icons showed in the new painter are not properly showed or are not the icons commonly displayed. Then I created a new workspace and application target, but when I try to create a project target is telling me that an add-on software was not installed. Is there something in windows xp that is messing with the powerbuilder installation?. I guess this has happened to other people because I just installed powerbuilder normally. Thank you My first thought is that 7236 is an update to P...

Custom installation for Powerbuilder
I need to generate a silent/custom install for only 4 components of the Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 I have tried the -r and -s switches. I have also tried running the setup for each individual component but I get errors asking to use the common setup. In the end I plan on pushing out the software to 45 developers through SMS 2.0 and help would be appreciated. ...

Install Powerbuilder failed
Hello : I am installing a new Powerbuilder 5.0 Enterprise edition , my compouter is a compaq DESKTOP with Pentium 166 , 16M RAM installed , But when I installed the PowerBuilder chose 32-bit it always prompt in the procedure : Copy D:\ntidk\ntidk4\PBTYP050.DLL to C:\Pwrs\Sys32\PBTYP050.DLL generate interface fault ,located at moduel KPRHPL32.DLL O137:brr85b3c I am misterioused , if there are something wrong with my configure ? Each word will be highly appriciated ! Jing Shen ( sj@china.pages.co.cn ) ...

Is there a Gzip installer that I could install ?
Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop interface .. is direct package installed that I could use opening it on files using the right click method from windows ? "open with" / "chosen freeware" = click ! -- Cypher7 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cypher7 wrote: > > Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop > interface The linux desktop interface can be a lot of things, KDE,GNOME, windowmaker to name but a few. > .. is direct packa...

Occassional appearance of Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install
Since upgrading to 3.1.1 I am getting the occasional redirection to Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install.  Is anyone else recieving this or does this suggest the installation script didn't complete?Jonathan Palmer Check your web.config and see if install=true.... In a previous version this was happening to me until i turned it off. ...

PBVM install for PowerBuilder 10
Can anyone tell me from where I can get the PBVM install for PowerBuilder 10. Is it available at Sybase Web Site .......... Shweta Shweta wrote: > Can anyone tell me from where I can get the PBVM > install for PowerBuilder 10. Is it available at Sybase Web > Site .......... You could put your hand in your pocket and purchase it. The PBVM for EAServer is not a free extra. a. Are you looking for PBVM for EAServer developer version? If so, either install PB on the machine and that will work or copy the DLLs. If you are looking for test or production ver...

no install after installing jvm141
i have waited for a few days now to see if anyone would reply to my last response and got nothing so far so i figured i would repost everything in hopes that someone woudl be able to help me, please read below. ============================ In article , wrote: > i cant find the install opption on the GUI to install imanager. i just > updated to the newest jvm and the gui looks totally differnet, and the > start options all changed. any ideas? > What exact NetWare version are you using (including SP)? In theory, you should use the "install" option in ...

Web resources about - Install order and PowerBuilder VM installation - sybase.easerver.powerbuilder

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles